Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Back on the subject of albums that seem to have been forgotten this year, The Mountain Goats album Beat the Champ was one of the most unique albums about love I have ever listened to

Werewolf Gimmick

Wrestling owns but so does love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Guess James Murphy's wine bar isn't making much money.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

interpunct posted:

I was pretty convinced that their farewell show would be, well, a farewell show that would last more than five years.

I was at bonnaroo when Trent Reznor implied it would be his last show ever for NIN. They did one more tour "broke up" then were back at it 4 years later.

I know tons of bands that split up then reunite in less time then it takes radiohead for a album + tour cycle.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Guess James Murphy's wine bar isn't making much money.
He listened to Reflektor and thought "my god, what have I done?!" which made him think of Talking Heads, which reminded him how much he liked making Talking Heads songs with LCD Soundsystem.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I remember one of my friends put five or six tickets to the final show at MSG on their credit card when they were first announced so she and a few others could go and then realized she could pay off a full semester at a private school if she sold them.

She didn't, but yeah, it really seemed like that was it for LCD.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My favourite album (that nobody else listened to) of 2015 was Elevator Music by the Indelicates.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been listening to a ton of Racecar since hearing them in the middle of the night last month on KXLU.

It's 90s indie bliss. They also had a song on Pete and Pete. I swear Pete and Pete has been like an undercurrent of my entire musical life. I end up liking all these bands that were on Pete on Pete. It wasn't even like I was paying attention as an 8 year old. I listened to a ton of REM when I had my first job in high school. The Magnetic Fields ended up my most favorite band all of time. I find Racecar and it turns out they too were on that show.

Both their albums, Girlish and Day after Day after Day, are on Spotify.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Full album and tour. It's really happening. I'm stoked because I never got to see them play and a new album is even better.

http://lcdsoundsystem.com/main/

quote:

so i asked pat and nancy to come over to my apartment for coffee and told them: “i’m going to record some music. should i make up a band name, or make a “james murphy” record, or should it be lcd?” we all thought a good amount about it. we have had lives for the past 5 years, which has been nice, and those guys have made amazing music with museum of love, the juan maclean, and all sorts of other things. i’d managed to do a bunch of fun, dumb stuff which mostly annoyed people who were into the band because, well, subway turnstiles and a coffee aren’t lcd, basically.

at any rate, they both said “let’s make an lcd record”. you see, if they didn’t want to, which i’d half assumed, then there’s no such thing as lcd. imagine this: me making a record, calling it lcd, and then you go to the show and there’s just some guy playing drums over there, or some other person playing keyboards. horrifying. then imagine this: i make a “james murphy” record, or, i don’t know, an “everteen” record, or whatever made-up name i come up with, and there’s pat playing drums, and nancy. maybe al isn’t too busy with hot chip so he comes to play. what the gently caress is that? here were our choices: 1. make music with your friends and call it something else, which seems hilarious (everteen) or egomaniacal to the point of sociopathic (james murphy solo record). 2. make music, but willfully exclude your friends because of the horrors in option 1. 3. make an lcd record with your friends, who want to make said record, and deal with whatever fall-out together. 4. don’t make music, to avoid the horrors of all of the above. 5. make music and, like, hide it somewhere.
we decided, clearly, on option 3, and i was fully prepared for a certain amount of “oh gently caress that guy” over-it stuff—in fact welcomed it. it’s strangely energizing to have people who don’t make music themselves take potshots at you from the internet. and there’s always been a current of o.f.t.g. with me (i’m saying me and not us because, let’s be honest… no one hates anyone else in lcd, partially because they’re unhateable, and also because they have the wisdom to not shoot their mouths off nearly as much), and that’s just fine. i’m pretty used to it, and find it relatively funny.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
You know what else is happening

An LCD Soundsystem thread

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So someone discovered that Thom, Jonny, Colin, Phil and Ed established "Dawn Chorus LLP" in Octobe. They made a similar move in July 2007 by registering Xurbia Xendless Ltd, then Ticker Tape Ltd in 2010. In Rainbows and The King of Limbs dropped within three months of each.

http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/90653

Fingers crossed, friends

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Musical ARGs are my jam

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Radiohead and Boards of Canada are doing a collaboration album?! :tinfoil:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Radiohead are doing a song-for-song cover of True Stories.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
this is a pretty good chill song by a cool lady

https://soundcloud.com/dregreenmusic/let-me-know

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
New track from the Last Shadow Puppets — Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys), Miles Kane (ex-The Rascals), James Ford (Simian Mobile Disco) and Owen Pallett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGbOF4UPpfs

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
WOLF PARADE

What the what now?

http://pitchfork.com/news/62890-wolf-parade-are-back/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

M83 is back :D Tour and new album this year

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/m83-announces-initial-tour-dates-for-2016/

they'd better loving add a Vancouver date, who the gently caress plays in Edmonton and Calgary but not Vancouver. There's an almost month time gap empty in there after Alberta and before Sasquatch so fingers crossed

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CLAM DOWN posted:

M83 is back :D Tour and new album this year

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/m83-announces-initial-tour-dates-for-2016/

they'd better loving add a Vancouver date, who the gently caress plays in Edmonton and Calgary but not Vancouver. There's an almost month time gap empty in there after Alberta and before Sasquatch so fingers crossed

Ah! Goddamn... New Orleans. Only 2.5 hours away. I gotta go.

Also as a reminder, Daughter's new album drops tomorrow!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

Ah! Goddamn... New Orleans. Only 2.5 hours away. I gotta go.
See you there homie :hfive:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Woah drat that M83 show with Tame impala at Merriweather post pavilion

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

See you there homie :hfive:

Also there's an AmEx cardholder presale going on right now which I didn't know. But only tickets available are GA Balcony.

Have you been to the venue? Is the balcony worth a poo poo?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

BonoMan posted:

Also as a reminder, Daughter's new album drops tomorrow!

Reviews I've seen have been coolly positive about it so far, I think even much more highly of it than that. I think it's really very good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

Also there's an AmEx cardholder presale going on right now which I didn't know. But only tickets available are GA Balcony.

Have you been to the venue? Is the balcony worth a poo poo?
I have! I saw Mogwai and Sleep there, both from the balcony. The view and sound are pretty great from up there. It's a relatively small venue, so every area is fairly intimate, whether you're on the floor or in the balcony.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I am in a bit of a conundrum. Should I go see Courtney Barnett at a small, fancy theater or Rhye at an equally cool venue on the same day? Leaning towards Courtney but I might be able to see her at a festival later this year.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Depends on your mood I guess? Those are two very different shows

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Are there any regularly updated playlists or active curators you guys follow on Spotify? Gorilla vs Bear is the only person I follow but he really only does year end and special event playlists a few times a year.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

resident posted:

I am in a bit of a conundrum. Should I go see Courtney Barnett at a small, fancy theater or Rhye at an equally cool venue on the same day? Leaning towards Courtney but I might be able to see her at a festival later this year.

Courtney Barnett for sure. One of the best acts I saw last year.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I am pumped to see Courtney Barnett. Her, Florence, and Savages all kind of popped up this week. Time to drop money on tickets 4 months out.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Slandible posted:

I am pumped to see Courtney Barnett. Her, Florence, and Savages all kind of popped up this week. Time to drop money on tickets 4 months out.

They are all pretty great. Savages and Courtney Barnett are especially rad.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

resident posted:

Are there any regularly updated playlists or active curators you guys follow on Spotify? Gorilla vs Bear is the only person I follow but he really only does year end and special event playlists a few times a year.

Drowned in Sound usually does but I'm not seeing one yet. I've got six songs in my 2016 playlist already :shobon:

E: since we tend to share these things anyway https://open.spotify.com/user/122549935/playlist/6Von0raKVNP3rOAxTpADgd

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

uggy posted:

And general tickets go on sale tomorrow :f5:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm excited for this, Krug and Boeckner have both done some cool stuff with Operators and Moonface recently. I've always thought that Sunset Rubdown and Handsome Furs are both better (other than Apologies to the Queen Mary), but Wolf Parade are still amazing.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Operators are touring this spring, presumably for a new (first) LP, so it could be awhile, but that's cool.

E: They're doing three residences:

May 17-21 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
May 24-26 Toronto, Ontario - Lee's Palace
June 14-15 London, England - Scala

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 15, 2016

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

uggy posted:

I will be there for sure, hoping to get floor tickets at 10am.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

Operators are touring this spring, presumably for a new (first) LP, so it could be awhile, but that's cool.
The EP is great, so I'm excited.

Also Krug was supposedly going to put out another Moonface album with Siinai, we'll see if he does.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I have! I saw Mogwai and Sleep there, both from the balcony. The view and sound are pretty great from up there. It's a relatively small venue, so every area is fairly intimate, whether you're on the floor or in the balcony.

Ended up skipping and getting floor seats this morning in the general sale instead! Woop woop!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamn, tickets for that M83 show are $45 after fees and I can't afford that today and the venue posted that they were selling fast and would probably sell out in one day :( The show's like 3 months away, so I figured I'd have enough time to be able to get my ticket with my next paycheck or something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Goddamn, tickets for that M83 show are $45 after fees and I can't afford that today and the venue posted that they were selling fast and would probably sell out in one day :( The show's like 3 months away, so I figured I'd have enough time to be able to get my ticket with my next paycheck or something.

Check your PMs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

Check your PMs
Holy poo poo, thank you so much and I look forward to buying you a beverage at the show! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That was v. Cool of you