Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Until the next book comes out I'm holding Preston's theories as canon. So, forever basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
If the dude can magically change his face, surely he can magically change a coin. :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pugnax posted:

If the dude can magically change his face, surely he can magically change a coin. :colbert:

Yeah, but so can anyone else if they have the correct smaller coin values.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but so can anyone else if they have the correct smaller coin values.

SMUG

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

savinhill posted:

Does that site really not exist at all anymore? I remember them having to switch hosts a couple different times, and that Linda did gently caress with them, but I'm pretty sure is still existed during the latest TV season, just hardly anyone who was originally involved with creating n running it was on the site anymore, probably just due to the general apathy and resignation that's replaced both the anger and need-to-asskiss from both sides of the long time ASOIAF-reading internet Gurm divide

There are inert bits and pieces of the previous iterations still floating around out there and some of the content that was deemed not terrible was ported over but not everything. Other stuff was lost due to incompetence, neglect or just a plain ol' hissyfit.

While a lot of the veteran members have dropped off over the years, there's more than a dozen folks who've been around since the beginning and still post. The site would have died by now if Martin had stopped being such a weenie, but he hasn't so new people keep signing up. I imagine the site will stick around in some form until the book series croaks for real.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
which makes you wonder really, how long will we continue to fill this thread with spiteful ramblings after gurm actually dies? People might have to pass on their accounts to their children.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If our children's children's children don't finish their homework for fear of the GRRM then we have failed them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
We'll have to see what direction Lowtax II takes the forums in.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Sorry, are you silly pricks taking a sperglord as canon? Hot drat, explain to me where you get to give a poo poo over GRRM's work ethic?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

rejutka posted:

Sorry, are you silly pricks taking a sperglord as canon? Hot drat, explain to me where you get to give a poo poo over GRRM's work ethic?

explain to me where you get to give a poo poo over how I feel about GRRM's work ethic?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM has a work ethic?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kcroy posted:

explain to me where you get to give a poo poo over how I feel about GRRM's work ethic?

Some nerds are really sad and don't have lives.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

rejutka posted:

Sorry, are you silly pricks taking a sperglord as canon?

Does this mean we should treat your posts like they're part of an old expanded universe offshoot of the Bad Thread?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

Some nerds are really sad and don't have lives.

Indeed I am one of them! I rage about the fat man who won't write me more stories to read!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You too? If only we had a thread dedicated to our interests.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rejutka posted:

Hot drat, explain to me where you get to give a poo poo over GRRM's work ethic?

lmao

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Personally I think that the fat gently caress has written himself into a corner by killing off way too many important characters which the readers were heavily invested in and which made great story vehicles. And then in some kind of panic mode he started to introduce some deus ex machina idiots which readers should suddenly care about.

"Oh drat, a main character died", what was a great plot twist and made the first three books great, quickly became a cluster gently caress when he didn't know when to stop. And now it's obvious that he hates having to spend time on the books, trying to wriggle himself out of this unrecoverable mess, just cause the publishers want to milk this for every last penny.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's been a grand total of 2 POV characters killed in the books so far, ignoring the prologue chapters of course. Do you count guys like Oberyn and Tywin as main characters?

Breaking the format and having secondary POV characters in AFFC/ADWD was not a good stylistic choice imo but it's only another symptom of gurm's bloated writing running amok and having him write dozens of chapters that pretty much consist of nothing but travel and world building. The man just can't seemingly be able to drop a character from the story and return to it later after they've reached their destination or whatever. We simply have to follow Tyrion's journey from the foot of Illyrio's mansion cause that's what the readers enlisted for. Wherever whores go indeed.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ned martell prince cat 3 pov dead

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

and jon deserves to be dead

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oberyn was not a pov character. Arys oakheart did have one but lol at him being a major character

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

i meant dorans kid whatever the gently caress his name is

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Quentyn. So I guess a whooping 4 dead pov characters? Including Arys and Quentin who have something like four chapters between them.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Quentyn. So I guess a whooping 4 dead pov characters? Including Arys and Quentin who have something like four chapters between them.

pate motherfuckers

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always thought that Biter and Rourge doing what J'haqen said was to show us that he was such a hard motherfucker that the monster dudes in the cage with him were scared of him. Not that they were secret faceless agents.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That assumes you're not drinking mercury and smoking pot

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I mean everyone saw the dog eating this guy's face but actually I think biter did it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how are only pov characters main/major characters. a bunch of major characters don't have pov chapters and were killed off and that guy was right.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Someone with too much time on their hands, and some type of obssessive mental disorder, please start writing fanfiction based on Preston Jacob's theories/videos, tia

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Grrm sucks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a good idea to kill off almost all the good characters in your story so it's impossible to finish.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"B-b-b-b-b-b-ut realistic consequences and fallout for the character's actions :qq:"

Yes that's why the genius martyr dwarf, psychopath assassin child, dragon-riding princess, and amazonian tomboy knight are all continuously allowed to live through circumstances they should have died in five times over.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a good idea to kill off almost all the good characters in your story so it's impossible to finish.

BUT EVERYONE LOVES DARK STAR

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

mind the walrus posted:

"B-b-b-b-b-b-ut realistic consequences and fallout for the character's actions :qq:"

Yes that's why the genius martyr dwarf, psychopath assassin child, dragon-riding princess, and amazonian tomboy knight are all continuously allowed to live through circumstances they should have died in five times over.

You are speaking of a highborn lady, ser. Call her by her name. Call her Brienne.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

Someone with too much time on their hands, and some type of obssessive mental disorder, please start writing fanfiction based on Preston Jacob's theories/videos, tia

I wish I could draw and give his madness some more life.

You know, I think Preston is actually the most able to write the end of this loving book. I think he would give it a kickin-rad ending.

-J

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

As long as we get the only POV that matters whenever someone finishes up these books. (Pounce Of View)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SaviourX posted:

As long as we get the only POV that matters whenever someone finishes up these books. (Pounce Of View)

But then we'd have hosed up banner color's and several paragraphs describing different kinds of balls of string and how much fun they are to play with. You know what, I take back my objection.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

Pretty sure tomboy knight cast "Moonblood Madness (lvl4)" to get her out of that one scrape. Nothing wrong wif that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tomboy Moonblood Knight is probably the last character whose arc I'd complain about in a "realism" "my immersion :qq:" sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Haven't had a big :goonsay: in a while, so I gotta say that I would have much, much rather GRRM have grown the cancers that took Bowie, Lemmy, and Rickman.