Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mariana Horchata posted:

I feel the same way and the initial bite feels almost on the same level as my old 95M Miata with Carbotech AX6 pads all around (minus sounding like a train pulling into the station), hopefully the Motorcraft replacement pads are the same aggressive but dirty design...if anybody happens to know if they aren't the same please let me know but I have faith that they would be the same.

The pads on the new R turn my silver wheels black in 2-3 days :( My Golf TDI pads worked fine without turning everything black, why can't they fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

On one of the forums I surf when bored, some guy was already asking about buying a 4000$ big brake kit for his 16 R. He couldn't come up with a reason for why he needed them when everyone asked. :shrug:

The stock brakes on my R will put you through the windshield on dry pavement.

Porsche brakes are a cheap way but...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

On one of the forums I surf when bored, some guy was already asking about buying a 4000$ big brake kit for his 16 R. He couldn't come up with a reason for why he needed them when everyone asked. :shrug:

The stock brakes on my R will put you through the windshield on dry pavement.

They catch fire in race situations with stock material, rotors, and fluid?

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-brakes/25022-brakes-catching-fire.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I did that to a new Audi A6 yearssss ago. That's a little more than abuse.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah you either are doing something stupid or doing continuous laps before a big brake kit is needed typically.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

The pads on the new R turn my silver wheels black in 2-3 days :( My Golf TDI pads worked fine without turning everything black, why can't they fix this.

I always figured it was impossible to have high performance pads that were also both noise and dust free (but if said pads do exist they are then likely to be very expensive)...I think there always has to be a particular aspect that is compromised, same goes for tires as well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'll take noise over dust any day.

As to your brakes catching fire, he was either stupid or something was broke. I came down from the top of Pike's Peak in my TDI and didn't even get waved off to let my brakes cool at the checkpoint.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My brother had the same issue with his wheels and switched to ceramic pads. He said the dust is basically nonexistent now. I thought about trying them on my Abarth because I have white wheels like an idiot.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So from talk on other forums(oh god why do I subject myself to this?) the Focus RS build has been delayed to starting on the week of 2/29. I wish I could get some info from Ford trickled down to my dealer rather than having to go by hearsay on other forums. I hope the car is worth the wait.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Picked up a set of BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 for the FiST for a little over $400. Did I do good? Are they any better (or worse) than stock tires? The most abuse my tires see is some rare back road romping.

Think I will also install a Boomba RMM when I put them on :getin:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
They look like good tires just noisy from what I could tell. Tire crazy had the kumho le's 280utg for $320 shipped for cyber monday so i got those.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spotted a FiST today and when I glanced at the driver he gave me, in my FoST, the ST thumbs up. :thumbsup:

This is my first such salute since I got the thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why the hell are Volvo C30's so drat expensive? Are they that good or just over priced?

[e] Looks like I might as well just get a drat Focus or Mazda3 apparently, but drat the C30 is cool looking.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 15, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

leica posted:

Why the hell are Volvo C30's so drat expensive? Are they that good or just over priced?

[e] Looks like I might as well just get a drat Focus or Mazda3 apparently, but drat the C30 is cool looking.

It's a Volvo so it has every sensor and gadget you can imagine to keep you from danger.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

leica posted:

Turbo I5 baby :getin:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Isn't that the same one as the old Focus had? If that's the case it isn't particularly impressive.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fyodor posted:

It's a Volvo so it has every sensor and gadget you can imagine to keep you from danger.

They also hold their value remarkably well. Even the no fun 2.4L ones go for stupid money on the used market.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's just it, stupid money. I can get a 2.5 Rabbit for half the price and I can't imagine it being half as good.

My choice has pretty much come down to a Rabbit or mazda2, whichever one impresses me the most when I drive it.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Christobevii3 posted:

Yeah you either are doing something stupid or doing continuous laps before a big brake kit is needed typically.

Yeah, so far I've quite enjoyed the brakes on the R. Very stable even when braking from high speeds. That and the steering precision were very nice things to have coming from my WRX. Of course once I upgrade the WRX things will be turned around again... When I first got the WRX I was non-stop complaining about the brakes and steering, coming from a modified mazdaspeed miata with 8" wheels and a BBK, I was a little spoiled. I doubt there are many stock cars that can stop better than it can.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Yeah that's just it, stupid money. I can get a 2.5 Rabbit for half the price and I can't imagine it being half as good.

My choice has pretty much come down to a Rabbit or mazda2, whichever one impresses me the most when I drive it.
The 2.5L Rabbit is a real giggle. You can drive around like a complete lunatic and still manage 30 average MPG.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008
Focus RS reviews are out today, for those so interested.
It's a jizz machine.

autocar
evo
autoexpress
car & driver
automobile

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
What can I do to my wife's FiST without voiding the warranty?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Melthir posted:

Wash and wax it?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Electric Pigeon posted:

It's a jizz machine.

autocar
evo
autoexpress
car & driver
automobile

I'm going to enjoy the gently caress out of this car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Electric Pigeon posted:

It's a jizz machine.

autocar
evo
autoexpress
car & driver
automobile

Countdown to the first person putting it in DORIFTU MODE and wrapping it around a tree/light post.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Melthir posted:

Obligatory "drive it and enjoy it" - but there are a few Ford Performance Racing parts that I think are clear for warranty if installed by dealer, presumably: http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/fiesta/

Mountune products are also warranty-supported, according to their own site. http://www.mountuneusa.com/Ford-Fiesta-ST-Performance-Parts-s/1477.htm

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Get some better tires and look at suspension upgrades. They will of course void the factory warranty on those parts but doesn't really matter since you'll have the originals and those parts typically don't fail easily. Ford racing does have factory tune options that lower your warranty to 36,000 miles for quite a big power increase.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

Get some better tires and look at suspension upgrades. They will of course void the factory warranty on those parts but doesn't really matter since you'll have the originals and those parts typically don't fail easily. Ford racing does have factory tune options that lower your warranty to 36,000 miles for quite a big power increase.

ST performance upgrade package from Ford is the Mountune 275 kit.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 19, 2016

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Naturally, I haven't had one problem with my '14 FiST. Now, at 37k miles, it bogs down and has even once died after filling the gas tank and slowing down for a stop sign or light. It only does it once and then will be fine, almost like it has air in the line? Also, since it has gotten cold, the emergency brake light will come on for a few seconds and then go off mysteriously as it came on.

Neither are a really huge thing, but a more conspiratorial mind might think it odd these things pop up 1k miles after the warranty is out.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Threads seem to suggest faulty evap purge valve.

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-discussions/437-weird-issue-after-every-fill-up-11.html

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-discussions/437-weird-issue-after-every-fill-up-5.html#post7319

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
My FiST had the stalling after filling at a gas tank twice so far, once on my first fill up and once a few months ago around 14k miles. It's a known issue, but it happens so rarely that I don't even think about it. I don't think it's related to the age of the vehicle.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It only affects the Fiesta and not the Focus?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Stalling thing happened once to my fiance in the fist but never to me. You're supposed to wait 5-10 seconds between putting in the pump nozzle and pumping or taking it out and if you don't some magic happens with the capless fuel door and can stall it out from what I've heard.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

It only affects the Fiesta and not the Focus?

Focus St had similar threads I saw too

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-ford-focus-rs-is-god-in-hatchback-form-1754930368

The 2016 Ford Focus RS Is God In Hatchback Form

quote:

Zero to sixty in 4.7 seconds comes courtesy of a turbo operating at 23 psi, the AWD locking the rear into a solid axle, revs locked at 5,000 RPM, you dumping the clutch as quickly as possible and not lifting from the gas between first and second. It’s rather entertaining.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd be worried how long it can hold up to those 5K clutch dumps. I get the impression they're at like 90% of what the drive train can handle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's only about $2500 less than a GLA 45 amg in canada, which has 30 more horsepower. the old 355hp GLA hit 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and the current one is 375hp. It's also about $10,000 more than the base WRX STI.

it's going to be a pretty hard sell here, when for $2500 more you can get far better performance, and for $10k less you can get similar performance.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't know if I'd call the STI that comparable, It's down quite a bit of horsepower, but otherwise it is similar.

Once they throw a newer motor in the STI then I can see it being directly comparable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's crazy on Canada pricing. In the US the STi is very close in terms of price.

STi - $35,490 MSRP with D&D
RS - $36,605 MSRP with D&D

$1,115 difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is the RS priced crazy high in Canada or are the GLA and STI priced lower than the competition?