Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

How much has CIG said about tractor beams and boarding mechanics?

Are goons responsible for the scope creep? The answer will astound and outrage you.

It's not goons' fault. It's mine. I'll step forward and own up to the things I've done. I am the cause of the unbelievable scope creep. I did it all by myself, and anyone who helped me did so without the knowledge of what I intended to do. I was trying to help you people, can't you see? Bring down the titan, and let the people finally stand up straight without that weight on them.

You may think I'm a criminal. You may hate me. History may not be kind to me. But anything I did, I did for the good of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not goons' fault. It's mine. I'll step forward and own up to the things I've done. I am the cause of the unbelievable scope creep. I did it all by myself, and anyone who helped me did so without the knowledge of what I intended to do. I was trying to help you people, can't you see? Bring down the titan, and let the people finally stand up straight without that weight on them.

You may think I'm a criminal. You may hate me. History may not be kind to me. But anything I did, I did for the good of the people.

That was a better speech than Bishop's.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Thank you, dickhead :patriot:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the $250 vanguard is now flyable but wasn't in the patch notes for some reason.

Vanguard? Looks more like a Black Widow

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

Did I miss something? Didn't they just take a patch from one server and move it to the other? Why is this a thing? Doesn't everyone have equal access to both test servers anyway? Isn't there no persistence at all to the universe in any form, so it doesn't even matter which server you get on in the first place? How is it "Live" except in name only? With all this excitement, it has to be me that's wrong. Right?

you're missing nothing.

In fact you can literally copy the last PTU build from the "test" folder and move it in to the "public" folder in order to save on downloading time.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

After all, with people like the Wulge being poster-chlidren for the community, maybe “scope creep” is some term of endearment they use due to how often they have been called that themselves.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Are goons responsible for the scope creep? The answer will astound and outrage you.

Taking concepts and treating them like they're final approved designs. You know, doing immoral things like selling them to people when they're just concepts.

What a bunch of assholes.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Goons ruin everything, didn't you know?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Vanguard? Looks more like a Black Widow

Well, it's WWII in space and CR hasn't had an original thought in two years....no wait dang it, wrong jerk.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
No, I just can't. How the gently caress would pinning game mechanics down somehow play into our hands? The lack of indication that CIG is even thinking about core gameplay mechanics is one the most convincing arguments against the game ever getting done

My logic lobe hurts

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

No, I just can't. How the gently caress would pinning game mechanics down somehow play into our hands? The lack of indication that CIG is even thinking about core gameplay mechanics is one the most convincing arguments against the game ever getting done

My logic lobe hurts

If they pinned down the mechanics before they started implementing them it would be clear that none of them actually work together and that it'll all be a disaster.

You've gotta leave a bit of mystery and ambiguity in your design documents for the believers to hide behind when ever anyone is critical.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

That was a better speech than Bishop's.

CIG, trash that SQ42 script. I'll cook you up a better one for the low low price of making Derek Smart the main character.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Elite Dangerous post:

If you are considering buying the game, just buy Horizons. It includes the base game. Unless you really like Frontier and feel like giving them extra money for :reasons:

Star Citizen post:

Game is poo poo, Dolvak is a joke as a journalist, Reddit is for pedo subhuman filth. Go gently caress yourselves.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

No, I just can't. How the gently caress would pinning game mechanics down somehow play into our hands?

Because it would be a solid and measurable metric of the current state of development, rather than the current state of archly referring to the impossible and then quietly scrubbing it off the whiteboard.

Recall that this is the most open development evah.

Beet Wagon posted:

CIG, trash that SQ42 script. I'll cook you up a better one for the low low price of making Derek Smart the main character.

"That's no small moon. Full reverse, we're being pulled in by Derek Smart."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

you're missing nothing.

In fact you can literally copy the last PTU build from the "test" folder and move it in to the "public" folder in order to save on downloading time.

So they have two test servers, which they have labelled LIVE and TEST. Neither of which are persistent, which defeats the purpose of iterating potentially unstable builds on TEST before they move to LIVE. And this tissue-paper veiled illusion is holding up nicely among the backers, to the point where they get excited that the latest patch went "LIVE", which affects absolutely nothing except which button they click on the launcher.

No matter how low CIG sets the bar, citizens are impressed with its height.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chalks posted:

If they pinned down the mechanics before they started implementing them it would be clear that none of them actually work together and that it'll all be a disaster.

You've gotta leave a bit of mystery and ambiguity in your design documents for the believers to hide behind when ever anyone is critical.

Oh I don't know, they have space bartender/flight attendant/AV guy mechanics very well defined. Economy, mining, exploration, etc. aren't important.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

You'll have to cook one up that matches the lip sync though

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You'll have to cook one up that matches the lip sync though

Nah, they can just re-:gary: all the speaking scenes. You know that's what Chris wants to do anyway.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Any news from the UK studio in the last couple of days? Have the Wonder Twins activated their powers to bring progress to a screeching halt while draining morale from every employee yet?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

So they have two test servers, which they have labelled LIVE and TEST. Neither of which are persistent, which defeats the purpose of iterating potentially unstable builds on TEST before they move to LIVE. And this tissue-paper veiled illusion is holding up nicely among the backers, to the point where they get excited that the latest patch went "LIVE", which affects absolutely nothing except which button they click on the launcher.

I think there are maybe more servers supporting the LIVE version. That's the only difference other than the symbolic completion of the iteration (time to see new doors in 2.2!)

They pulled a nice slight-of-hand by basically having people test a few shifting variables and minor bug fixes, and then ending the iteration by throwing a new ship in out of nowhere.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

well, they do a full letter of progression per day after all

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I wonder if Lowtax has got to play between all the patches. Somehow I don't think he has great internet.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think there are maybe more servers supporting the LIVE version. That's the only difference other than the symbolic completion of the iteration (time to see new doors in 2.2!)

They pulled a nice slight-of-hand by basically having people test a few shifting variables and minor bug fixes, and then ending the iteration by throwing a new ship in out of nowhere.

These guys put a lot of effort and planning into the illusion of being video game developers. A surface scan of the company looks great. One molecule deep, it's all horseshit. I wish they'd put that kind of effort into game design - who knows what they could accomplish.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What is 1000 citizen bucks equal to in real money anyway?

Seriously, how much does a .jpeg of a space fish cost these days in real money?

It's not enough to sell us .jpegs of spaceships after all.

We should probably all get together and make a website called Shart Fistizen or something and sell people crudely-drawn MSPaint .jpegs. We could get the guy who made the working prototype of Gigamaidens (not cabbagepots) to gin up some 'actual gameplay footage' of our .jpegs doing whatever it is that .jpegs do.

We would probably make a working game faster than CIG, though.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Come to think of it, aren't all JPEGs procedurally generated?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Del boys letting the side down here as far as I'm concerned. Internet Warlord my rear end. i was expecting maniacal laughter as the flames from burning JPegs reflected in his mad eyes. Instead .....................nothing

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Always entertaining reading people bitch about 30GB patches in the official forums.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Always entertaining reading people bitch about 30GB patches in the official forums.

How else are you going to include all those high fidelity tongue textures? I like to think of these patches being just that.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MeLKoR posted:

I had some hope for Cymelion when they asked for more tolerance for newcomers but since then, they seem to be just as broken as many other Star Citizens.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Chalks posted:

How else are you going to include all those high fidelity tongue textures? I like to think of these patches being just that.

True. Nice of them to offer a sale of the new Vanguard (which as of now variant owners can't have in their hangers) for $250. If you purchase that and a Sabre, they knock $10 off for the low cost of $410.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I have a feeling that when this whole thing goes tits up, Sandi will release a teary-eyed video blaming goons/Derek for killing their dreams and the whales will easily eat it up.

Which will be awesome, we'll get all the accolades for their hard workmismanagement.

If Trump replaced every mention of muslims with goons he'd instantly win their hearts and votes

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
nice, cig implementing some survival horror gameplay now too

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Wuxi posted:

I have a feeling that when this whole thing goes tits up, Sandi will release a teary-eyed video blaming goons/Derek for killing their dreams and the whales will easily eat it up.

Which will be awesome, we'll get all the accolades for their hard workmismanagement.

If Trump replaced every mention of muslims with goons he'd instantly win their hearts and votes

this is my raison detre

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

LuiCypher posted:

Seriously, how much does a .jpeg of a space fish cost these days in real money?

1000 spacebux = $1. For that price you could get a real fish for your real fishtank.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Wuxi posted:

lol, you couldn't be anymore retarded if you bought that line of logic. You have to be mentally incompetent to believe that.

Oh wait, nearly all the whales in SC are fundamentally retarded so they'll probably eat it up while everyone else laughs and mocks them for paying a known failure thousands of dollars to play Hollywood with his shrew of a wife. I'm fine with this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dapper Dan posted:

lol, you couldn't be anymore retarded if you bought that line of logic. You have to be mentally incompetent to believe that.

Oh wait, nearly all the whales in SC are fundamentally retarded so they'll probably eat it up while everyone else laughs and mocks them for paying a known failure thousands of dollars to play Hollywood with his shrew of a wife. I'm fine with this.

I'm not, because I'm always thinking about all the marriages ruined and the children now without a college fund. :mad:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Libluini posted:

I'm not, because I'm always thinking about all the marriages ruined and the children now without a college fund. :mad:

Dont think of Star Citizen as the reason; it's just a symptom of some pre-existing mental deficiency, and an outlet for poor decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

If it's any consolation, it has probably a lot of backers in countries where college funds aren't a thing.

• Locked thread