Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Krogan are obviously Klingons, right down to the occasional cunning warrior-philosophers like Wrex et al. They'd wedgie you D&D nerds on the spot. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Besides, in D&D terms they're space-trolls

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Vorcha are the ones who break fans :eng101: And they're more space goblins. Varren are the dog things.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The best part of the Batarians is how pissed off they are about being the Space Orcs and getting their poo poo kicked in by the Humans at every turn.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The first Mass Effect book has a sequence where a Batarian goes to a brothel and chooses a human woman to be with for the evening, however, he's planning on torturing her to death for the crime of being a disgusting human, funnily enough it's Saren who comes to her rescue, only because he wants to torture said Batarian for information, saving the girl was just incidental.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
You know, as much as I liked James in 3 I was annoyed at his existence because I thought it was a wasted opportunity to have a Batarian party member.

It would have been nice to have a Batarian around that didn't fall into the 3 prime Batarian molds; rear end in a top hat, jackass, and rear end in a top hat jackass.

Though 3's mp did give us the Batarian Hate Slide, so I guess it's all good.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
3 also gave us Batarian Skeet Shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZWL7rRXaM Sadly I haven't perfected this, should load up a solo bronze match to practice :getin:

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

SubponticatePoster posted:

3 also gave us Batarian Skeet Shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZWL7rRXaM Sadly I haven't perfected this, should load up a solo bronze match to practice :getin:

That is literally the best thing ever and I'm tempted to buy ME3 on pc just to do that and jump back into multiplayer

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Lash is really the best thing, and I wish they allowed more of the physics fuckery powers to pierce shields, Slam especially.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I was also very fond of Batarian Falcon Punching, but lash was/is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05R-oci0Ek

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Batarian punch is great because you lock onto your target, even if someone else physics the target away.

They also made the Batarian punch an equippable item late in multiplayer's lifecycle with predictable results.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTaCRQNH6g]

Here's another example video of the hate slide that I personally liked.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 13, 2016

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
If you've been wanting to get the ME Trilogy, or wanting to get it on PS3, it's on sale right now for $12.00 ($9.00 for PS-Plus members). Holy :wth:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

dang, and I thought I got a great deal when I bought it 3 years ago for $30. Of course I still ended up paying $65 to get all of the extra DLC

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That is a good deal, since the PS3 version of ME2 includes all the DLC (Zaeed, Kasumi, LotSB and the weapons packs) except for a couple of stupid outfits. Unless the DLC for 3 is on sale you'd still shell out $45 for that, but $55 for the equivalent of the GOTY trilogy is still pretty good.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well now I've bought all 3 mass effect games 3 times.

:negative:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That is a good deal, since the PS3 version of ME2 includes all the DLC (Zaeed, Kasumi, LotSB and the weapons packs) except for a couple of stupid outfits

You still have to buy Arrival, unless they changed that recently. Good thing all of the multiplayer packs are free for ME3

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Oh yeah, forgot about Arrival. :saddowns:

Kurieg posted:

Well now I've bought all 3 mass effect games 3 times.

:negative:
We won't judge you here.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Forgetting about Arrival is probably your best option, really.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Psion posted:

Forgetting about Arrival is probably your best option, really.

But why would you want to forget about Shep's Batarian final solution?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

or why would you want to NOT play another DLC where you casually murder Batarians left and right? Even more so if your background is Colonist :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Because you care about your war asset score?

(Casually sits atop a golden throne made of promoted multiplayer characters)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Arrival is still bad, all your space-racism aside :colbert:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I didn't have arrival for my first full playthrough, so there was that reference at the beginning of three to "someone" killing off millions of Batarians by hurling an asteroid into a relay for reasons. Then on my replay, after doing arrival I was a little disturbed to find out that "someone" was me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

And then it doesn't mean anything because the Reapers devastate the Batarians immediately anyway.

I mean it's pretty subpar in every way: On a gameplay level, Arrival is pretty weak. Solo levels in a team-based game are always difficult to do right and Arrival wasn't anything special here.

Plotting and characterization, well it doesn't fit with ME2 and it's thrown away immediately in ME3. For what was supposed to be the bridge between the games, it fails on every level - it's an incredibly awkward tone shift from ME2 and from it to ME3 is another whole bucket of off-screen changes because they had the unenviable task of "make ME3 accessible to a new player, make it accessible to a franchise player, and make it accessible to a franchise player who didn't play Arrival, also make it on Earth and the Reapers attack immediately because that's dramatic and poo poo." To some extent, Arrival's problems were unavoidable, I understand that, but it's still pretty bad.

It's not Pinnacle Station bad, but it has about as much relevance to the game as Pinnacle did, despite trying a lot harder to have any. :laugh:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 15, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

My Q-Face posted:

I didn't have arrival for my first full playthrough, so there was that reference at the beginning of three to "someone" killing off millions of Batarians by hurling an asteroid into a relay for reasons. Then on my replay, after doing arrival I was a little disturbed to find out that "someone" was me.

If you don't do arrival it says an elite alliance team did it or some such and you get negative war assets due to their noble sacrifice.

Never forget those dudes who made the galaxy a better place. :911:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

Because you care about your war asset score?

(Casually sits atop a golden throne made of promoted multiplayer characters)

Yeah I can get the "best" ending right out of the gate even pre-nerf to the score. :smug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah I can get the "best" ending right out of the gate even pre-nerf to the score. :smug:

Given the number of times I promoted my Vanguard class because it was the easiest to level, I really like to imagine the final battle consisting of nothing but hundreds of infantry Charge/Nova/repeat on a reaper over and over and over and that's my war score for winning the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I sold my 360 and all it's constituent games a while back, and eventually re-bought ME3 for PC, not realizing that it still had all my promoted MP characters on it. Imagine my surprise when I open up the war table after the first mission and the bar is 100% green.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Psion posted:

And then it doesn't mean anything because the Reapers devastate the Batarians immediately anyway.

If a subway train is about to hit five men and you divert it to hit only one man on another track, is it really murder if that man was about to die in a cave-in anyway? :smug::boom:

Also I've never played the Leviathan DLC but it sounds like it has lots of interesting lore. Is it worth trying when I replay the trilogy someday (never)?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It back fills in some lore, but it also opens up some giant plot holes with the catalyst talk that you can't actually address.

It does, however, contain me3's quotient of telling a godlike entity to gently caress off, and some good dungeons.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kurieg posted:

It back fills in some lore, but it also opens up some giant plot holes with the catalyst talk that you can't actually address.

It does, however, contain me3's quotient of telling a godlike entity to gently caress off, and some good dungeons.

I made a guess not long after ME2 came out that Harbinger would be the Reaper King or something similar and the Leviathan DLC came out and confirmed my dumb guess, he's the first Reaper to ever be created and also the most powerful.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

There were a few holes filled in, but I felt like I was hearing the same thing from the cuttlefish aliens that I was hearing from the Catalyst.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well they already hosed themselves by going all in on that stupid ending, so Leviathan is just them doubling down on it.

The writers responsible for the ending are gone from Bioware, aren't they?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Aces High posted:

well they already hosed themselves by going all in on that stupid ending, so Leviathan is just them doubling down on it.

The writers responsible for the ending are gone from Bioware, aren't they?

Drew Karpyshin, who was ME1 and 2's writer, amongst other things has returned to Bioware after a hiatus so he could write his own book series.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that's already sounding better than what happened with 3

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Stop the rock

Finishing up BDtS. Actus Rhesus joins me for a (semi) peaceful resolution. Since we're going Paragon we save the hostages. Balak turns up again in ME3 if you don't murder him here. Kate will send you an email in ME2 with this option. We get a nice omni tool out of the deal as well. Also I tacked on some un-commentated squad chats.

Next update will be some side content that carries through into ME2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Next update will be some side content that carries through into ME2.

Conrad? :allears:
Did they fix the save bug for the PS3 release?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Conrad? :allears:
Did they fix the save bug for the PS3 release?

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 1 was a more or less straight port of the 360 version, bugs, animations glitches and all, it was a little disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also I've never played the Leviathan DLC but it sounds like it has lots of interesting lore. Is it worth trying when I replay the trilogy someday (never)?

I'd say so, yes. I think it added some value to ME3. It's plot related so, well, your milage may vary (a lot) but it's worthwhile. So's Omega, for different reasons.

• Locked thread