Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

aleksendr posted:

Tl;Dr : This thing is too big for a first time release for any studio, they are hosed long term and its impossible for them to keep the original promises.

Thank you!!!!! You are an amazing person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

aleksendr posted:

You must not critique a game before it’s finished or condemn it before it’s released but by all accounts and information available, honesty and common sense dictate that its clearly impossible for Star Citizen to keep its promises.

:allears:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ZenMaster posted:

Thank you!!!!! You are an amazing person!

this is an article they put out last february though. The new one hasn't made it up yet. Thanks for the translation though aleks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pff. That's faked. I know this because the consonant combination kgfg does not appear in any dialect of French.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

aleksendr posted:

Tl;Dr : This thing is too big for a first time release for any studio, they are hosed long term and its impossible for them to keep the original promises.

Thanks for this. They don't even really put the boot in, just stating facts. Will be fun to read all the google translated rage in their forums or comments.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nemo2342 posted:

Between this thread and the bitcoin thread, this has been one of the best days on the internet.

Bitcoin imploding is always good. Though I had to stop reading that thread because after awhile you do feel bad for gullible people ruining their lives because they were never taught better.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why does a space fighter need multibarreled guns? Is heat dissipation a thing in space?

IIRC heat dissipation in space is actually an issue.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this is an article they put out last february though. The new one hasn't made it up yet. Thanks for the translation though aleks.

It doesn't matter. Clearly the French know nothing about game development.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Have any of you actually read this Cargo Interaction design document?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14677-Cargo-Interaction

They post a few videos of apparently ground-breaking "grabby hands" poo poo. I just don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktooC-40cdI

INN offers some explanation:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/05/musings-grabby-hands/

quote:

As you can see from the video, the character is able to pick up, drop, and position objects in the game world.

Can't you do that in Portal?

quote:

On the flip side… it could be interesting little mechanic if players could help clean up economically downtrodden outposts by banding together to clean up the trash… and perhaps occasionally throw it at their friends. You can imagine throwing a party on an 890 Jump, putting alcohol and food out for guests, and then having to clean it all up again after.

See you in the Clean up after me in the Verse!

The second video in the design document relates to picking up objects, but with like, two hands maaaaan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zesinId-Omw

INN posted:

A key feature that appears here is the ability of a character to move an object without directly picking it up. In the clip, this allows the character to position an ammunition box so that he can pick it up, but in the PU, this could mean that, should you brush too close to a weapons rack, they’ll all fall down. Or if you run too quickly through the narrow corridors of your ship, you might knock down paintings, crates, etc…

What the gently caress are they on about? Pretty sure you could push boxes around in Half Life 2 without picking them up. How is this groundbreaking?

Then there's the coin flip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXNYRz0I6QU

INN posted:

While the clip seems scripted (the coin always flips at the same speed), it definitely helps to show the amount of fidelity CIG are trying to build into the game. Right now, it’s starting with flipping coins, but as INN member Anglomanii mentions, coin flipping isn’t far from knife and axe throwing. Out of ammo in your pistol? Toss it at the enemy in an inevitably futile attempt to buy yourself some time before they blast you out of the sky, leaving your broken and laser-burnt corpse to float slowly out the airlock.

???

Derek Smart. Derek Smart. Derek Smart.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Come watch us
http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lime Tonics posted:

Space Bulldozers and Space Ships launching like f-16s of aircraft carriers in space, DO NOT QUESTION IT.

The black hole nonsense bothers me a lot more than the SpaceDozer. He can choose whatever stupid plot devices he wants for his stupid movie, but when he has the opportunity to build a galaxy? "Nah space is boring, here have some stupid fake crap." Black holes are awesome and trying to shoehorn them into vacuum cleaners is just disrespectful.

I'M NOT OVERREACTING drat YOU. drat YUO ALL TO HELL

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It was clearly ahead of its time. Can't wait for the new one

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mentos Dan posted:

And of course, in the latest INN interview they ask Huckaby about grabby hands and he immediately starts blustering about how nothing is set in stone during development and we can't promise anything, etc.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mentos Dan posted:

You can do that in Deus Ex (2000).

quote:

What the gently caress are they on about? Pretty sure you could push boxes around in Half Life 2 without picking them up. How is this groundbreaking?
It's not. But CRobber hasn't played anything ever since he was thrown out of the games industry for being an incompetent twit with the project management ability of a slightly off-brown avocado, and is a firm believer in the notion that what isn't seen doesn't exist. More specifically, if he hasn't seen it, it has never happened, and has definitely never been implemented in a game before.

Lime Tonics posted:

Space Bulldozers and Space Ships launching like f-16s of aircraft carriers in space, DO NOT QUESTION IT.

:goonsay: As an old-time sim nerd, my immediate reaction is to question how on earth you'd launch an F-16 off a carrier deck.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 15, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Tippis posted:

Pff. That's faked. I know this because the consonant combination kgfg does not appear in any dialect of French.

vous avez oubliez Klingon Francais, enfoire!

Ravane fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 15, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mentos Dan posted:

Have any of you actually read this Cargo Interaction design document?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14677-Cargo-Interaction

They post a few videos of apparently ground-breaking "grabby hands" poo poo. I just don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktooC-40cdI

INN offers some explanation:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/05/musings-grabby-hands/

See you in the Clean up after me in the Verse!

The second video in the design document relates to picking up objects, but with like, two hands maaaaan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zesinId-Omw

Then there's the coin flip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXNYRz0I6QU

???

A few weeks ago, they recanted all of this. Grabby hands is no longer being implemented because it's such a poo poo idea.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Evil Fluffy posted:

My understanding is that heat has to travel via one of three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. In a vacuum, the first two are right out - that leaves radiation, which is a slow process. Ostensibly you could toss a hot cup of coffee out the airlock, tractor it back in after an hour, and it's largely the same temperature as when you put it out there.

Lots of movies show stuff freeze when exposed to a vacuum. Although there are biological reasons why a sudden fluid expanse from low pressure can result in lowered temperatures, I don't think that applies to inorganic matter, like a spaceship's thrusters. That heat has to go somewhere.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ben Lesnick has a Star Trek wallet.

I instantly gained +600 respect for him.

Tiem for me to go watch some anime.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

My understanding is that heat has to travel via one of three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. In a vacuum, the first two are right out - that leaves radiation, which is a slow process. Ostensibly you could toss a hot cup of coffee out the airlock, tractor it back in after an hour, and it's largely the same temperature as when you put it out there.

Lots of movies show stuff freeze when exposed to a vacuum. Although there are biological reasons why a sudden fluid expanse from low pressure can result in lowered temperatures, I don't think that applies to inorganic matter, like a spaceship's thrusters. That heat has to go somewhere.

a hot cup of coffee is not a very good example :spergin:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tippis posted:

You can do that in Deus Ex (2000).

You could do that in Trespasser (1998)

positioning objects and/or knocking everything around you down due to clumsy 3d movement are not exactly killer gaming innovations

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

a hot cup of coffee is not a very good example :spergin:

I have a lid on it though.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tippis posted:

Nah. It's close enough, and it reminded me to dig out this old gem from the EVE forums about how their world simulation does things:

What I'm trying to convey, I guess, is “suck it Chris.”

"Using chaos theory equations of possible changes in a ship's behavior before the next time slice, fractally extrude out a set of event cylinders (with hemispherical caps) of the ship's possible influence before the next frame, within the 3D space." lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm the 4 microphones, all at different volumes.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

They're making excuses about why CS is slow. Then the fat dude on the left called Money "Money". So I guess that's his official name. I thought that was a goon thing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Lol they didn't get a mic for the black guy

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Berious posted:

They're making excuses about why CS is slow. Then the fat dude on the left called Money "Money". So I guess that's his official name. I thought that was a goon thing.

Im gonna put "Im a goon from Something Awful" in chat. lets see how fast i get banned.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
As a height weight proportional person, Money is bringing some much needed diversity to this stream

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Regardless of how much heat is being dissipated, having more barrels means that for a given number of shots fired, each barrel of a multi-barreled gun will accumulate less heat than a single barrel firing the same number of shots, so having a multi-barreled space gun might be useful.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/411wpc/quantum_cruisin_star_citizen_live_21/

56 comments, all hidden because the first guy said Eve was better.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

"We are breaking new ground with VR"

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

hanales posted:

It doesn't matter. Clearly the French know nothing about game development.

Not since the days of Napoleon anyways

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Is that Will Lewis?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, Lando just answered my question on stream lol :D

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Disco: "We're notoriously frugal with our money"

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
"we're notoriously frugal with our money" - Huckaby

if you ever needed a succinct quote about how full of poo poo this guy is.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Homeless Santa answering a question about paying twitch streamers "We're notoriously frugal with our money"

e: gently caress you guys are fast

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Otiosities posted:

[Question] When planetary landings get more fleshed out can we expect atmospheric and gravity conditions of certain planets to affect the landing process. For example will weaker heat shielding get torn up when entering a denser atmosphere even to the degree that a safe landing wouldn't be a possibility for certain ships?
lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

Yup. It hardly even applies to biological matter since they tend to be built a bit more rigidly than what would be required to create those kinds of pressure effects. And even then, the whole flash-freezing idea relies on the assumption that you're in a 3°K environment, which means there can't be any nearby sources of heat… like a star. With one of those odd things around, the star would have to go away and/or stop emitting radiation before you could start the cooling-off trip towards the background radiation temperature.

I can't find the source for it right now, but I saw some discussion of what you'd end up with if you got tossed out the airlock in low-earth orbit (and if we ignored orbital decay). It suggested you'd reach an average body temperature of maybe 23°C or so over the full orbit. You wouldn't spend enough time in the shadow of the planet to cool down, and those losses would be made up for once you came back in direct sunlight.

LGD posted:

You could do that in Trespasser (1998)

positioning objects and/or knocking everything around you down due to clumsy 3d movement are not exactly killer gaming innovations

Yeah. Deus Ex was just the one that immediately sprung to mind (and in my defence, it was a bit more precise than Trespasser). :haw:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

grimcreaper posted:

Holy poo poo, Lando just answered my question on stream lol :D

:hifive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Will asks the VR question!

And Ben says progress is "Not good."

This marks the first time an uncomfortable question got through their filters and actually got an honest answer... Although Ben then said it was because the Oculus Rift technical standards were constantly changing-- which is a copout. So never mind.

Now they're talking about Billy Dee Williams-- and Justin reveals his cluelessness about Star Wars and Lando. I hate to pull a Derek Smart but I predicted exactly this just a couple of days ago!.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 15, 2016

• Locked thread