Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lando just got this text:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

My understanding is that heat has to travel via one of three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. In a vacuum, the first two are right out - that leaves radiation, which is a slow process. Ostensibly you could toss a hot cup of coffee out the airlock, tractor it back in after an hour, and it's largely the same temperature as when you put it out there.

Lots of movies show stuff freeze when exposed to a vacuum. Although there are biological reasons why a sudden fluid expanse from low pressure can result in lowered temperatures, I don't think that applies to inorganic matter, like a spaceship's thrusters. That heat has to go somewhere.

^This. Elite at least tries to get it right with the glowing heat vents, but realistically all space ships should have huge heat radiator surfaces that fold out when the weapons are fired.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

No questions about game design?

Then what the gently caress are these shows even for?

How does CIG justify pointing at these shows and saying, "Look! Open development!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Amarcarts posted:

Only if you're using a genuine Robert's Space Industries StarThermos™:

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
oh well..

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ash1138 posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure anymore. I mean, I know it's a dog and pony show, but damnit can't they at least get some good dogs and ponies.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 15, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

iron buns posted:

^This. Elite at least tries to get it right with the glowing heat vents, but realistically all space ships should have huge heat radiator surfaces that fold out when the weapons are fired.
It's been mentioned before, but that was one of the cooler tidbits in the Mass Effect codex, along with "battles usually end when one side has to stop firing and gtfo or they'll be cooked alive."

Of course it was never mentioned in cutscenes, but oh well.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

spacetoaster posted:

lol

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

spacetoaster posted:

There's no way Sandi would allow a woman more attractive than her (i.e. any woman) on this show. She is probably loving seething over in the UK. Someone get Gary Oldman to text her and calm her rear end down.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

be honest is this one of you dirty goons?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure anymore. I mean, I know it's a dog and pony show, but damnit can't they get at least some good dogs and ponies.

They're still working on the dog pipeline, give it two weeks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ash1138 posted:

How does CIG justify pointing at these shows and saying, "Look! Open development!"

Yeah, I think what disturbs me the most is their general attitude of laughing about broken poo poo and jokes about making stuff up. If I was deeply invested in this, I would be quite infuriated from a customer standpoint. Fortunately most of their fans are gullible idiots and eat it up not realizing they are the true punchline of a 105 million dollar joke.

Meanwhile the poor dev in back in the red shirt basically looks just plain tired. Sounds like quite a while before the Starfarer makes an appearance.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

iron buns posted:

yeah but do they fold out so they're perpendicular to the nearest star? checkmate, CR told me in a dream SC's would

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

Is there anything particular on which you base that belief?

Sandi flat out referenced the "special connection" backers felt for being a part of SC and implies that it's her doing as evidence of her marketing genius. There's also the numerous examples of hardship on the forums, yet at least externally all CIG does is push more sales.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
wait they still don't have store credit unmelt?

do the citizens defend or ignore this

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ZenMaster posted:

how many languages have YOU created? :smug:

Well, there was this one time when someone thought it would be a good idea to mix all this fruit and some odd Italian medicinal alcohol…

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

mrking posted:

I, for one, want that question answered. For my immersion purposes. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

There's no way Sandi would allow a woman more attractive than her (i.e. any woman) on this show. She is probably loving seething over in the UK. Someone get Gary Oldman to text her and calm her rear end down.

We should absolutely start gushing about this lady. Start a bunch of thread about how she should be on AtV and should announce at the conventions.

And by we, I mean our clean alts. Get the true believers to go along with it.

Sandi would lose it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tell him as per Sandi's instructions in my email chain you choose the option to not have your account closed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bait and Swatch posted:

I, for one, want that question answered. For my immersion purposes. :colbert:

Hairdresser profession confirmed.

Probably will be a Cutless barbershop variant.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mrking posted:

For a majority of their backers, visiting a regular bathroom is an equal challenge to interstellar travel

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ravane posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/411wpc/quantum_cruisin_star_citizen_live_21/

56 comments, all hidden because the first guy said Eve was better.

I mean, the guy isn't wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d88N9Eko94

It's also older than the entire game project if the Citizens denial of "1 year work prior to the KS" is to be believed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

spacetoaster posted:

We should absolutely start gushing about this lady. Start a bunch of thread about how she should be on AtV and should announce at the conventions.

And by we, I mean our clean alts. Get the true believers to go along with it.

Sandi would lose it.

Good plan. We should also just casually refer to her as "the girl who replaced Sandi" just to add extra salt.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Did they answer my

quote:

[QUESTION] What's the funniest glitch/bug you've seen so far in the game?
I walked out of the room and came back to them talking about bathroom glitches

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Unfunny Poster posted:

I mean, the guy isn't wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d88N9Eko94

It's also older than the entire game project if the Citizens denial of "1 year work prior to the KS" is to be believed.

drat, that looks way better!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

2:58 tallardar: [QUESTION] why did CIG only give a 7 day probation to a guy who posted pedophilic content (per the mods note) on your forums?
2:58 norramp: It's Mark Abent!
2:58 Grizz_WarMace: Whats the Caty?
2:58 MattWhitePaintJob: [QUESTION] Will we be able to take over space stations in Star Citizen?
2:58 tallardar has been timed out.

quote:

2:59 tallardar: woah, way to not have open development guys
2:59 You are permanently banned from talking in cigcommunity.

I guess they don't like being asked questions about their practices.

Ravane posted:

drat, that looks way better!

Keep in mind that it's 4 years old, was on their test server, is prior to the graphics overhauls they've made since, and that it was an update to the old style that had been in the game prior.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 15, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That was Sandi's best RTV performance to date.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

For a majority of their backers, visiting a regular bathroom is an equal challenge to interstellar travel

From the grieving thread but posted for relevance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxH30-EagTc

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

grimcreaper posted:

Im gonna put "Im a goon from Something Awful" in chat. lets see how fast i get banned.

Temp ban for asking about Sandi's whereabouts

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

G0RF posted:

Never forget.

:911:

"We are notoriously frugal with our money..." - Lando.

(He says this as 11 people stand around gabbing about nothing for an hour. Only one of them is no longer being paid by CIG.)

Looks like A trailer for a new season of 'biggest loser USA '

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

wait they still don't have store credit unmelt?

do the citizens defend or ignore this

some are pretty pissed

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

:negative:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ash1138 posted:

I know I toot EVE's horn a bunch but this is a monthly show CCP put together for their game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR_Wtc_GB9E

Granted it was light on the "this is what the devs are working on stuff" they go and actually do other things related to the game and what players are doing.

It also features some random drunk Icelandic dude teaching you how to pronounce a ship name because that's a running joke in EVE (the devs pronounce poo poo the Icelandic way, the players say it however we want).

The fact CIG can't even do stuff like this now, after having done it with Wingman's Hangar before, is really loving comical.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 15, 2016

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

EightAce posted:

:vince:

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sandi flat out referenced the "special connection" backers felt for being a part of SC and implies that it's her doing as evidence of her marketing genius. There's also the numerous examples of hardship on the forums, yet at least externally all CIG does is push more sales.

There are around 800 people currently watching that stream. Anybody know how many views these shows get afterwards?

And Sandy's show, that's "Around the Verse", right? On Youtube those have around 50k views. How many space spergs are there again?

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Why do i have this strange urge to start playing hockey again...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

My understanding is that heat has to travel via one of three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. In a vacuum, the first two are right out - that leaves radiation, which is a slow process. Ostensibly you could toss a hot cup of coffee out the airlock, tractor it back in after an hour, and it's largely the same temperature as when you put it out there.

Lots of movies show stuff freeze when exposed to a vacuum. Although there are biological reasons why a sudden fluid expanse from low pressure can result in lowered temperatures, I don't think that applies to inorganic matter, like a spaceship's thrusters. That heat has to go somewhere.

This is kinda why I harp on painting everything white if you're in space: sunlight is the biggest external factor toward heat build-up in space, which can heat objects up to 121 Celsius. If you're internally generating heat from running computer processes, thrusting into the red line, or firing your gun, you're adding on top of that heat from contact with sunlight if it's left exposed. So, painting everything white tends to reduce the energy received from sunlight by 90%, with the majority of it being reflected back into space. The way you get rid of that excess heat is usually through radiators. Big, gently caress-all ones, that also tend to get fragile because you're trying to maximize weight and surface area, so that poo poo tends to be really thin.

Also, it does apply to inorganic matter: high enough temperatures can mean electronic components hit their operations limits and crash; thermal expansion of structural components leading to frame stress; and thermal delamination, where a component melts and loses integrity.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Tippis posted:

Pff. That's faked. I know this because the consonant combination kgfg does not appear in any dialect of French.

I totally believe it. English is loving gibberish compared to most languages. I remember hearing a non-native speaker once describing English as sounding like a bunch of dogs barking. That's what that combination of letters looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

EightAce posted:

But in a plot twist they are ALL the biggest losers.

• Locked thread