Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
PATAMON STOP loving DYING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Some one apparently froze one of the images and brightened it up a bit, and it really makes me curious as to what is going on because from what this image shows

it's Tai who becomes the Digimon Emperor, not one of the 02 kids.

bigger version http://i.imgur.com/6uHXsOJ.png

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That might just be Ken, honestly. We have literally no idea what the 02 kids look like in this art style, and Ken as the Digimon Emperor had really crazy hair for some reason. If it is Tai though, that could be interesting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Why are we tagging stuff for a trailer that has been officially released?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's not Taichi. The hair is the wrong color. It looks more like a version of the Kaiser where Ken just took gel to his normal hair.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 15, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Why are we tagging stuff for a trailer that has been officially released?

because some people want to not be spoiled on anything before they watch it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So anyone else has preordered Cyber Sleuth?

I'm waiting or it to come up on the PSN store so I can have my digital monsters digitally.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Squallege posted:

I'm waiting or it to come up on the PSN store so I can have my digital monsters digitally.

But then how will you get your agumon recolor and clothes??

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is the game play like on Cybersleuth

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mikeycp posted:

But then how will you get your agumon recolor and clothes??

I have no choice but to hope for it to be included in the digital preorder. :palmon::pray:

Burkion posted:

What is the game play like on Cybersleuth

I hear it plays like Final Fantasy X

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/digimon-world-next-order-third-trailer-gameplay

Next Order is literally an improved Digimon World :allears:

And it seems the OST for DW is a preorder bonus :dance:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm surprised at some Digimon choices seen in the trailer. Mostly, a bunch of recolours that never get to appear. MetalGreymon (Virus) isn't that uncommon, plus it appeared in the first World (as the other MetalGreymon didn't exist yet), but Growmon (Data), BlackMegaloGrowmon and the gold versions of Rapidmon and V-dramon are weird things to see. Not like I'm complaining, it's variety and spotlight for lesser-seen Digimon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I can not comprehend why they keep remaking that game.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They could just show me War Greymon and I'd probably buy it. War Greymon gets me hyped for no reason

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Out of all the questionable 90s design in digimon, with its belts and scrap metal aesthetics, War Greymon manages to be the single strongest design in the entire franchise. For all intents and purposes he's the coolest looking digimon ever, so of course anyone gets hyped seeing him.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's those loving arm things, man. I remember it being so rad while Metal Garurumon(or whatever) looking dumb as poo poo. Serves Matt right for being such a poo poo!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mikeycp posted:

I can not comprehend why they keep remaking that game.

And without custom characters. It's 2016 and the MC's in Digimon are unimportant weirdos.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Unlike the PS1/early PS2 era, where Digimon experimented with everything and then some, the current Digimon games seem to be trying to establish a clear identity. As such, centering around the first Digimon World, a cult classic and likely the best-known Digimon game in the world, is not a bad move. Even moreso since it is the system that has the most in common with the tamagotchi that gave birth to the franchise to begin with. The Atlus-esque style it has taken, not only in character design (Devil Survivor's artist, hard to miss), but also with a very modern Japan that contrasts the more fantasy-like worlds shown in most Digimon games (normally focused entirely on the Digital World), together with a modern style of the original Digimon World's Digital World, helps giving it its identity too.

Cyber Sleuth went down a different path by instead serving as a spiritual sequel to the DS game (even using the same title, Digimon Story), so there was clearly an attempt at going down a different path, only to return to the Digimon World style anyways.

About the lack of custom characters, what the current games are trying as well is to establish a game canon, so to speak. Previously, there was only one connection between games (Digimon World's final boss, Analogman, reappearing as the final boss of Digital Card Battle as "A", including the reason why he was there and making it clear he was the same person), ignoring the Wonderswan games which are much more heavily connected to other existing canons (namely, Adventure and Tamers canons). Because of this, it's important for possibly recurring characters to have their own designs, they can't risk having bland, interchangeable designs if they're to reappear. This goes double for Digimon, in which a single character design (the Digimon World protagonist) was recycled in many games, so it would become less obvious that it is him in a returning appearance, were Digimon World not the only important game amongst those (though Digital Card Battle is the best go play it). This is, of course, exactly what happened in next 0rder (with an older design, of course), although it is helped by the fact that he's taken on the name of Analogboy and is repeating what Analogman did, thus making it absolutely clear who he is.

Basically I think the Shin Digimon Tensei games are cool as hell and I'm annoyed I'll never get to play any at this rate. I'll have to convince my girlfriend to let me steal her Vita forever.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The best Digimon World was 3, because that's the one I remember playing as a kid.

Also, I thought I recognized a remix of something from that game in the trailer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Squallege posted:

They could just show me War Greymon and I'd probably buy it. War Greymon gets me hyped for no reason

Pretty much. I just see War Greymon and oh poo poo I'm a kid again and that dinosaur became a cool cyborg again but this time it's sleek and cooler somehow!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Out of all the questionable 90s design in digimon, with its belts and scrap metal aesthetics, War Greymon manages to be the single strongest design in the entire franchise. For all intents and purposes he's the coolest looking digimon ever, so of course anyone gets hyped seeing him.

WarGreymon's is so cool looking that it even makes other variants (X-Antibody and VictoryGreymon) look bad

Blaze Dragon posted:

Unlike the PS1/early PS2 era, where Digimon experimented with everything and then some, the current Digimon games seem to be trying to establish a clear identity. As such, centering around the first Digimon World, a cult classic and likely the best-known Digimon game in the world, is not a bad move. Even moreso since it is the system that has the most in common with the tamagotchi that gave birth to the franchise to begin with. The Atlus-esque style it has taken, not only in character design (Devil Survivor's artist, hard to miss), but also with a very modern Japan that contrasts the more fantasy-like worlds shown in most Digimon games (normally focused entirely on the Digital World), together with a modern style of the original Digimon World's Digital World, helps giving it its identity too.

Cyber Sleuth went down a different path by instead serving as a spiritual sequel to the DS game (even using the same title, Digimon Story), so there was clearly an attempt at going down a different path, only to return to the Digimon World style anyways.

About the lack of custom characters, what the current games are trying as well is to establish a game canon, so to speak. Previously, there was only one connection between games (Digimon World's final boss, Analogman, reappearing as the final boss of Digital Card Battle as "A", including the reason why he was there and making it clear he was the same person), ignoring the Wonderswan games which are much more heavily connected to other existing canons (namely, Adventure and Tamers canons). Because of this, it's important for possibly recurring characters to have their own designs, they can't risk having bland, interchangeable designs if they're to reappear. This goes double for Digimon, in which a single character design (the Digimon World protagonist) was recycled in many games, so it would become less obvious that it is him in a returning appearance, were Digimon World not the only important game amongst those (though Digital Card Battle is the best go play it). This is, of course, exactly what happened in next 0rder (with an older design, of course), although it is helped by the fact that he's taken on the name of Analogboy and is repeating what Analogman did, thus making it absolutely clear who he is.

Basically I think the Shin Digimon Tensei games are cool as hell and I'm annoyed I'll never get to play any at this rate. I'll have to convince my girlfriend to let me steal her Vita forever.

Probably is nostalgia talking but the reveal of Analogman as the baddie in Digital Card Battle was so drat cool back then.

I don't have an issue with Bandai rehashing Digimon World's gameplay, by all its faults it was pretty drat entertaining to raise your own digimon and see File City grow. Another cool feature of the game is the sheer amount of stuff could only be unlocked by doing specific things through the game. I could never get to Bettle Land though :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Probably is nostalgia talking but the reveal of Analogman as the baddie in Digital Card Battle was so drat cool back then.

I've been playing Digital Card Battle again because I'm bored and I can assure you, it holds up even now. It isn't quite as creepy as it was for kid me, but it's still a really neat moment.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Great Interview with Cyber Sleuth's producer

The important bits

quote:

With the new Digimon Adventure tri. anime getting quite a lot of attention, do you think it's a good time for Digimon to be making something of a comeback in the West? Do you think that Cyber Sleuth can help the franchise do that?

In Japan, the flow is such that the Digimon games, as Digimon World Re:Digitize and Digimon Collectors shifted the age target higher, and the franchise grew more successful from this. It gave the opportunity to start a project like Digimon Adventure tri.

In Europe, Digimon became popular from the anime, so it is in contrast to Japan. But we hope that the game will be welcomed along with Digimon Adventure tri. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is as dramatic as the Digimon anime, so I hope that it helps Digimon achieve some kind of comeback.

Cyber Sleuth is coming to both PlayStation 4 and Vita, but it originally only launched on Vita in Japan. Is the PS4's huge success in the West the main reason as to why the game is being ported to the home console?

When Cyber Sleuth was developed, there was no plan to launch outside of Japan (in the US or Europe). But thanks to the overseas fans' enthusiasm and dedication to campaigning for a release, we can now release a Digimon game after so long. We are very thrilled.

The hardware market in Western territories drove us to decide on the PS4 addition overseas. We are very sorry that the launch is very much delayed compared to the Japanese version due to this.

If this title becomes a success, we can hopefully consider a worldwide, simultaneous launch for the next title.

You fuckers better get Cyber Sleuth. :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You fuckers better get Cyber Sleuth. :colbert:

Release a PC version and I goddamn will. Releasing the game on consoles nearly no one owns and that have very little reason to be bought was a terrible decision.

Rather than PS4, they should've gone with a Steam release.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Apparently with Amazon Prime now you can get 20% off physical videogame pre-orders. I am so tempted to pre-order Cyber Sleuth even though I don't have a PS4... I DO have an Amazon gift card left from Christmas........

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Release a PC version and I goddamn will. Releasing the game on consoles nearly no one owns and that have very little reason to be bought was a terrible decision.

Rather than PS4, they should've gone with a Steam release.

A lot of people own a ps4, the vita sure, but not the ps4.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Why, the PS4 is the current console with the highest consumer base even, the number that proved wrong all those internet articles about console gaming being dead. That said, yeah, it would've been super neat to also get a Steam release.

I probably won't ever play Cyber Sleuth, but I appreciate the heck out of it for reinvigorating the franchise and getting the right target audience to do some nice stuff.

KoB
May 1, 2009
PS4 is already nearing 40 million units. Thats a bunch.

Would be totally down for a Steam version though. Hopefully more Japanese companies continue to see their competitors succeed on Steam (Bamco).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh wow, the PS4 sells far more than I thought it did.

I retract part of my complaint. I still think that a Steam release is something Bandai-Namco should really think about if they're going for western sales again.

In other news, here, -next 0rder- PV3, subbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--R6wJb67g

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It looks so good :allears:

So the narrator is supposed to be the "Analogboy"?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh wow, the PS4 sells far more than I thought it did.
Of course it did, were you one of those people who honestly thought console gaming was dead instead of trolling?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It looks so good :allears:

So the narrator is supposed to be the "Analogboy"?

Yeah, it is. It hammers the point even more that he's the original Digimon World protagonist considering how he talks about the Digital World as something he already knows but has changed in several places.

Twiddy posted:

Of course it did, were you one of those people who honestly thought console gaming was dead instead of trolling?

Not at all, I just didn't know it was that popular.

In my defense, I live in a lovely third world country where videogames are insanely expensive. People having game consoles is not the norm at all, and even those who do might wait until later in a system's life to make sure their console was worth the money. I kind of don't have too good of a frame of reference.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Blaze Dragon posted:

In my defense, I live in a lovely third world country where videogames are insanely expensive. People having game consoles is not the norm at all, and even those who do might wait until later in a system's life to make sure their console was worth the money. I kind of don't have too good of a frame of reference.
Well now I kind of feel like an rear end, thanks!

But yeah more of anything getting overseas localization seems good, even if I never really played Digimon games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twiddy posted:

Well now I kind of feel like an rear end, thanks!

But yeah more of anything getting overseas localization seems good, even if I never really played Digimon games.

Don't. It's my fault for not making proper research before speaking.

Also I assure you, you haven't missed a lot. I'll defend Digital Card Battle with every breath of my being, but beyond that, DIgimon games range from "acceptable" to "terrible", never being really great. Rumble Arena on the PS1 is a pretty fun fighter, the original Digimon World is hard to understand and clearly unpolished but honestly fun if you get it. Rumble Arena 2 is okay but worse than its predecessor (it isn't even a sequel, both games were completely unconnected in Japan), the Battle Spirit series is boring, Digimon World 2 and 3, as well as the Savers game are horribly grindy (though if you can get a cheat to get exp fast, 3 is honestly fun), the DS games are okay but also grindy and kind of bland, and Racing and Digimon World 4 are abominations that should have never existed.

If you can, though, I fully recommend Digital Card Battle. It has nothing to do with modern games (beyond an actual plot connection with the first Digimon World, itself connected to Re: Digitize and -next 0rder-), but it's a really fun game, and unlike most games it has a connection with the anime (02, to be exact) so you can enjoy that too. It's far more fun than the terrible mess that is the real card game as well, thankfully. And, if you're going for Cyber Sleuth, trying Dawn/Dusk might be a good idea. They're somewhat bland but playable turn-based RPGs, and the gameplay seems to be the same up to the DigiFarms. Of course, Cyber Sleuth looks like it has far more personality and polish too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Digital Card Battle is the only Digimon game thus far that I consider not-bad (I actually like it a lot). It's pretty disappointing. I really hope Cyber Sleuth turns out good. I have decently high hopes, based on hearsay.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cyber Sleuth trophies

Some slight spoilers in the descriptions

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I retract part of my complaint. I still think that a Steam release is something Bandai-Namco should really think about if they're going for western sales again.

They gave Tales of Zestria a Steam release, so they're clearly interested in testing out that market. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bamco go down that path with later Digimon releases, considering it's less risky to move into online international markets.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone know if there is going to be a digital pre-order for Digimon cyber sleuth or anyway to get the pre-order bonuses if you are buying digital?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Drashin posted:

Does anyone know if there is going to be a digital pre-order for Digimon cyber sleuth or anyway to get the pre-order bonuses if you are buying digital?

I believe those bonus are only available for the Vita version of the game, for PS4 is just with physical preorders

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-ps-vita-bonus-dlc-announced?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I assure you, you haven't missed a lot. I'll defend Digital Card Battle with every breath of my being, but beyond that, DIgimon games range from "acceptable" to "terrible", never being really great. Rumble Arena on the PS1 is a pretty fun fighter, the original Digimon World is hard to understand and clearly unpolished but honestly fun if you get it. Rumble Arena 2 is okay but worse than its predecessor (it isn't even a sequel, both games were completely unconnected in Japan), the Battle Spirit series is boring, Digimon World 2 and 3, as well as the Savers game are horribly grindy (though if you can get a cheat to get exp fast, 3 is honestly fun), the DS games are okay but also grindy and kind of bland, and Racing and Digimon World 4 are abominations that should have never existed.

If you can, though, I fully recommend Digital Card Battle. It has nothing to do with modern games (beyond an actual plot connection with the first Digimon World, itself connected to Re: Digitize and -next 0rder-), but it's a really fun game, and unlike most games it has a connection with the anime (02, to be exact) so you can enjoy that too. It's far more fun than the terrible mess that is the real card game as well, thankfully. And, if you're going for Cyber Sleuth, trying Dawn/Dusk might be a good idea. They're somewhat bland but playable turn-based RPGs, and the gameplay seems to be the same up to the DigiFarms. Of course, Cyber Sleuth looks like it has far more personality and polish too.

We're lucky Bamco moved forward with Cyber Sleuth's localization considering the disaster that was that American exclusive game (Rumble All-stars?).

Now I'm curious, what is the connection between Re: Digitize and the original Digimon World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Now I'm curious, what is the connection between Re: Digitize and the original Digimon World?

They are basically the same game. Though Re:Digitize is somehow worse than its predecessor.