Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm lucky in that by the time I start playing CS, CS2 will probably only be a couple of months away. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only two weeks left!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

leather fedora posted:

There's that one monster that has Bleublanc's gimmick of turning you small (chibi) or fat (debu). It even comes with a unique status effect symbol, the meaning of which escapes me at the moment but I know it has something to do with being transformed.

God dammit, that was material from well after I coughed out. I'm disappointed the XSEED crew didn't try to do more with it, because in a more right state of mind, I would have.

Cake Attack posted:

oh well

omedetou, agate-san

Very little can stop the power of Man-Tsunderes

(It also helps that Agate gets perhaps the most development out of anyone on the cast in SC)

But yeah, us racking up the Reader Choice awards over at RPGFan (which is a pretty decently-trafficked, older site) was a nice surprise. And also reminded me just how much competition there was this year, good god.

Cake Attack posted:

i fixed it. if you want to see more, get the cool art books udon put out. featuring excellent translations such as

So I still don't get where that even comes from. Unless my memory is failing me completely, Zane is part of the "Taito" school, which should mean something like "Great Authority". Right here is a typo on top of a mistranslation, but I still don't know where "Calm Dip Flow" even comes from - I don't recall seeing, or Robin mentioning, anything remotely like it.

Zaggitz posted:

This dude's name is Lazy(pronounced Wazy) Hemisphere, by the way. So unironically yes, they will own.

Y'all don't even know the ways in which Wazy is the best yet. Someday, hopefully, you shall see.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

So I still don't get where that even comes from. Unless my memory is failing me completely, Zane is part of the "Taito" school, which should mean something like "Great Authority". Right here is a typo on top of a mistranslation, but I still don't know where "Calm Dip Flow" even comes from - I don't recall seeing, or Robin mentioning, anything remotely like it.

Clam dip flow.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Clam dip flow.

Calm, typo'd to Clam.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
But Calm Dip Flow doesn't sound nearly as delicious, so we're gonna roll with Clam.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

SpaceDrake posted:

A quick check of the kanji that make it up (泰斗流) tells me that if you take it piecemeal, you can get something to the effect of "Calm Dip Flow". Everything after that is a typo. For this, you're required to ignore the meaning of 'Taito' and break it into its components, and misread 'school/style' as 'flow' when you're referring to a martial art.

TL;DR: Bad translations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still working through TitS SC (Chapter 3 atm). I saw earlier some discussion about Kloe being extremely useful; this is not a case of either/or with regards to Olivier, is it? Since leaving him out of the party is a non-starter for me at least. The impression I had going into SC was that arts weren't as useful this time around due to high-EP costs, but maybe that's more for mook battles and not bosses? I had been rolling with Zane since he didn't seem so bad with Action/Move quartz making up for his mobility deficiencies, but I suppose that might be risky for any boss that isn't all that weak to physical attacks.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Still working through TitS SC (Chapter 3 atm). I saw earlier some discussion about Kloe being extremely useful; this is not a case of either/or with regards to Olivier, is it? Since leaving him out of the party is a non-starter for me at least. The impression I had going into SC was that arts weren't as useful this time around due to high-EP costs, but maybe that's more for mook battles and not bosses? I had been rolling with Zane since he didn't seem so bad with Action/Move quartz making up for his mobility deficiencies, but I suppose that might be risky for any boss that isn't all that weak to physical attacks.

I found Kloe more useful for her S-craft more than anything else but she's a beast of a caster with the right accessories. My goto party throughout the game was largely Estelle/Agate/Kloe and (minor spoiler)Joshua, depending on availability of course.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah having kloe and Olivier or just Olivier is fine. Magic is still good, just not as dominant in the early game particularly. The balance changes probably affected characters like Estelle most who I mainly had cast in FC but I used as melee in SC. The pure casters are still good at what they do

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Man, with how magic has gotten progressively more "eh" as the series goes on, I hope that if we get Olivier again at some point he's a hybrid.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Arts are pretty strong, they make up most of the damage I do to bosses other than from breaks, but the really big and expensive ones seem like a bad deal or at least very situational because they don't do much more damage than the lowest rank versions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Death Scream is great but most of the other top-tier arts in SC can be ignored, especially with Kloe.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Death Scream is great but most of the other top-tier arts in SC can be ignored, especially with Kloe.

I think I was using the 30EP water spell for lots and lots of single-target damage with her.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I had Kloe using Blue Ascension a lot and eventually Cocytus.

And occasionally Silver Thorn.

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, the big problem is that the later arts have much higher costs and they ratcheted the power of EP Cut down a ton. Even so, when the plot allowed it, I had Kloe and Olivier in my party all game and they were fine.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Some Numbers posted:

I had Kloe using Blue Ascension a lot and eventually Cocytus.

And occasionally Silver Thorn.

Yeah, the big problem is that the later arts have much higher costs and they ratcheted the power of EP Cut down a ton. Even so, when the plot allowed it, I had Kloe and Olivier in my party all game and they were fine.

SC gave a major buff to physical attackers as well. Agate is practically game-breaking with his arts, and so long as he has a dedicated healer behind him, he can S-craft all day long.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Can you do anything with the Super Stallion Medal or Relief Card?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My party for most of SC was Estelle/Kloe/Olivier/Agate and the whole game was a cakewalk. Kloe and Olivier can keep everyone topped off with their crafts, can contribute damage with their arts, and Kloe has a really strong debuff. Estelle is the protagonist. Agate just hits dudes until they die.

If you want a more offensive party I probably wouldn't take both, but they still wreck random encounters with Aerial so the only thing that really feels kind of slow is boss fights, and Agate can just start dropping s-crafts on those.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I wonder: how many of you brought Kevin into your endgame parties in SC? He worked shockingly well as a support unit for me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

are mueller and julia any good i was too committed to the party I had to slot in brand new people

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Slur posted:

I wonder: how many of you brought Kevin into your endgame parties in SC? He worked shockingly well as a support unit for me.

My endgame party was Estelle Joshua Olivier and Kevin.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

My endgame party was Estelle Joshua Olivier and Kevin.

Ahhh, Estelle's Harem Party.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
The problem with SC is that it has many good characters but you've got two slots that are locked to the protagonists so you can only bring 2 other people at a time.

Cold Steel kinda solves that with the reserve slots but the characters are not as likable, so you always take the most broken ones.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Death Priest posted:

The problem with SC is that it has many good characters but you've got two slots that are locked to the protagonists so you can only bring 2 other people at a time.

Cold Steel kinda solves that with the reserve slots but the characters are not as likable, so you always take the most broken ones.

Fie and Laura are extremely like-able, and it just so happens they are both amazing for an endgame party.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Fie and Laura are extremely like-able, and it just so happens they are both amazing for an endgame party.

Yeah I felt like adding "So you take Rean, Laura Fie and whoever you like for the 4th" but that felt like pushing my opinion too much.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Death Priest posted:

Still better than most JRPGs. I could take an NPC from Cold Steel (not like Towa or anything, that'd be OP) and put them in a Final Fantasy game and they'd still be top tier character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Ahhh, Estelle's Harem Party.

that's only possible in 3rd where you can swap olivier for anelace

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Cake Attack posted:

are mueller and julia any good i was too committed to the party I had to slot in brand new people

Mueller's pretty decent. He's craft-y like Agate but drops some of Agate's blunt murderpower for more variety. His pull craft is good for positioning, for example. However, there's nothing standout he does (apart from Righteous Witness) that really makes you want to drop Agate for him.
Julia has both decent caster power and physical strength. Pretty sure she outdoes Kevin in both, especially with the ability to wear the female-only ATS gear. Her crafts are kinda bad though, with only single-target Impede and 50 CP Earth Guard. I did manage to pick up Lost Mobius on her, along with Onyx Gem and Cast 2, so I just used her as a caster, with the ability to hit things as backup.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

that's only possible in 3rd where you can swap olivier for anelace

Are you implying that Olivier is not good enough for Estelle but Anelace is? Surely you jest.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Slur posted:

Are you implying that Olivier is not good enough for Estelle but Anelace is? Surely you jest.

I think it's mostly because those are the three people who have hit on Estelle.

Supremezero posted:

Still better than most JRPGs. I could take an NPC from Cold Steel (not like Towa or anything, that'd be OP) and put them in a Final Fantasy game and they'd still be top tier character.

Final Fantasy 16 starring Becky. Fully voiced, fully scottish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hosed up opinion but i like the cold steel party more than the sky party overall

sky's best characters are better than cold steel's but sky's worst characters are pretty much empty voids. tita is cute and zane has like A cool moment but you can name about three personality traits between them and I still don't know whether or not Zane is actively hitting on women or just sincerely complimenting them. and mueller is hilarious when paired with olivier but outside of that he's a plank of wood, he's very much a character that only exists in a specific dynamic. and to be brutally honest whenever josh is dominating a scene i can actively feel my CP (care points) dropping like I just got ko'd. josh is a fine character when he's bouncing off 'stelle or 'jo but when he's just going on about his manpain i keep checking my watch.

cold steel's party is just consistently good.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 16, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

hosed up opinion but i like the cold steel party more than the sky party overall

sky's best characters are better than cold steel's but sky's worst characters are pretty much empty voids. tita is cute and zane has like A cool moment but you can name about three personality traits between them and I still don't know whether or not Zane is actively hitting on women or just sincerely complimenting them. and mueller is hilarious when paired with olivier but outside of that he's a plank of wood, he's very much a character that only exists in a specific dynamic. and to be brutally honest whenever josh is dominating a scene i can actively feel my CP (care points) dropping like I just got ko'd. josh is a fine character when he's bouncing off 'stelle or 'jo but when he's just going on about his manpain i keep checking my watch.

cold steel's party is just consistently good.

I hope we see Zane in the Calvard arc, only so that he develops beyond his 2 dimensional personality.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really it's less that he has a 2 dimensional personality and more that he gets no chance to show his personality. like, there's stuff there that could be fun and interesting, but he just... isn't around to show it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Slur posted:

Olivier is clearly in Joshua's harem, not Estelle's.

I can't believe I just typed that.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

really it's less that he has a 2 dimensional personality and more that he gets no chance to show his personality. like, there's stuff there that could be fun and interesting, but he just... isn't around to show it.

I can agree with that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So how many books are there in these games? I imagine 3rd due to its format has none, but I could be wrong. That sets us at 4 after FC SC and CS. How many new books in the crossbell games/cold steel 2?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I went with Kevin for the final gauntlet mainly because his S-Craft is just so loving great for dealing with Loewe's bullshit if you want to beat him.

...Granted, I still wish I could've swapped Olivier in for him before the final boss. Outside of his use as my main support caster, he really felt kind of mediocre for almost everything else that was left in the end-game (though still nowhere near as bad as Tita and Josette would've been).

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

So how many books are there in these games? I imagine 3rd due to its format has none, but I could be wrong. That sets us at 4 after FC SC and CS. How many new books in the crossbell games/cold steel 2?

AFAIK 3rd actually has most of the books from FC and SC hidden away in various capacities, plus one extra Liberl News that's about the end of SC. Otherwise it has nothing new, though.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

OddObserver posted:

Olivier is clearly in Joshua's harem, not Estelle's.

I can't believe I just typed that.

Joshua doesn't get to have a Harem, Estelle would hit him with her very large stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Well, I finally finished SC and it was a pretty solid ending, all told. It's a shame that a localization of 3rd still seems pretty unlikely from what I heard. I might pick up a JP copy but I really want to carry over my save...

SpaceDrake posted:

God dammit, that was material from well after I coughed out. I'm disappointed the XSEED crew didn't try to do more with it, because in a more right state of mind, I would have.
I can tell that the enemy attack names in general didn't have that CF creativeness, especially at the end. I don't want to get too flippant at anyone involved since I'm fully aware and understanding of all the extenuating circumstances & tight deadlines but "Raging God Angel"? Seriously?

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 16, 2016