Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:pgabz: the man with a cat shaped head :pgabz:

I laughed out loud when I read that. The author must be a goon... If he isn't, he should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

titaniumone posted:

I'm like 30 pages behind because I'm still reading about Warhammer chat because it's goofy and the lore is ridiculous but still interesting. I'm curious why stagnation of progress is a theme and why 10,000 year old armor etc is better than anything made modernly. Where can I read more dumb poo poo about these made up things?
Progress hasn't stagnated, it's regressed. It's a variation on yer standard fallen civilisation trope.

WH40K lore is sometimes interesting, but none of it is terribly original. It's basically just a mish mash of poo poo That Was Cool In That Book Or Film. The Lexicanum is a dedicated WH40K wiki, there should be plenty to get your teeth into there.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Baba Ganoush posted:

I sold my package for 80$ and then received a refund for 80$, did this happen to anyone else?

You might want to check with the person you sold your ships and package to, as the new owners will probably find they are no longer there.

Or not. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

fuctifino posted:

You might want to check with the person you sold your ships and package to, as the new owners will probably find they are no longer there.

Or not. Whatever floats your boat. :)

It was someone from Reddit and I think he probably resold it.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
I made a jared.jpeg

hello jared :marc:

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

bumbles posted:

I made a jared.jpeg

hello jared :marc:

can I get a variant with red scribbles?
I'll pay more ofc.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

titaniumone posted:

I'm like 30 pages behind because I'm still reading about Warhammer chat because it's goofy and the lore is ridiculous but still interesting. I'm curious why stagnation of progress is a theme and why 10,000 year old armor etc is better than anything made modernly. Where can I read more dumb poo poo about these made up things?

^^
Click the link in this guy's avatar for a pro 40k read

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Incombibulator posted:

I'll pay more ofc.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Having only one fish at a time is truly immersive because as a star citizen backer I'm too retarded to take care of more than one fish at a time.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Incombibulator posted:

I'll pay more ofc.

I managed to balance the flight model

$400

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Agrajag posted:

is no one else finding it weird that a person living in Texas plays hockey?

There are quite a few of us. Austin has around 1200 hockey players (combined adult and youth league), and that's not counting people like me who are just in Learn to Play.

Samizdata posted:

I've never played hockey, but I would consider it...

It's fun. Just be prepared to be bruised and possibly battered, especially if you play against Bootcha. ;) Bootcha tried hooking me once, and I slashed him.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
weekly reminder for Ben Lesnick: you can still be the hero. expose this farce, or at the very least stop participating. You know deep down that this is a rotten business.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

titaniumone posted:

Because the armour is made from the same stuff they use in plasma reactors to contain the pressures of small artificial suns. It's magic bullshit metal. As to why progress stopped? The people in charge said "no more science" and made unregulated research heresy. The guys who do the regulated research have their own stupid rules that hinder their advancement. Some dork of a tech priest probably filed away the cure for chaos because he decided it was a bit heretical looking. It is both a stupid frustrating backdrop for a game but also an interesting look at a society that is beset by war on all sides yet doesn't really want it any other way. Of course it'll all be for nothing when everyone gets ate by tyrannids.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

weekly reminder for Ben Lesnick: you can still be the hero. expose this farce, or at the very least stop participating. You know deep down that this is a rotten business.

But first do some cardio you fat gently caress cause we can't laugh at you if you die.

(Though we probably will )

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

For those who missed it.

Ok real talk for a moment.
The engineers who worked on the moon lander and Armstrong's suit can say something like this.
The people who supported the Lindbergh brothers and helped them built their plane can say something like this.
Backers of computer game sure as hell don't get to say it.

I am completely serious here. How mentally deranged do you have to be to consider that kickstarting, i.e. giving money to, a god-drat computer game makes you special in any way and means you are part of it?
Whatever this game will be, even if it is the best computer game out there, it is still JUST A TOY.
Yet these people in all honesty believe this has any kind of value for the future of mankind.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Pff. Sandi is a far likelier candidate than true-believer Lesnick. At least she can spin some “poor starry-eyed girl with Hollywood dreams, hoodwinked and exploited by insane fake movie producer” story and get some prime-time talk TV time out of the deal.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Pff. Sandi is a far likelier candidate than true-believer Lesnick. At least she can spin some “poor starry-eyed girl with Hollywood dreams, hoodwinked and exploited by insane fake movie producer” story and get some prime-time talk TV time out of the deal.

I doubt it. She's going to get thrown under the bus incredibly hard when this goes down.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Romes128 posted:

I doubt it. She's going to get thrown under the bus incredibly hard when this goes down.

That's why it's better to act first and be sure to drive that bus.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

That's why it's better to act first and be sure to drive that bus.

Sandi can't act tho.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Translation - Page 2

(Cartoon translation)
(In a TV quiz setting similar to « Who want to be a Millionaire")

(Host question ) The question is : Star citizen will be the ..<fill in the blank>.. of this century.

a.) Game
b.) Car dealership
c.) Boustrophedon
d.) Heist

(Contestant answer) Pfff… Not an easy one..

The second Chris Roberts quit EA to form Digital Anvil, where he plan on producing movies and games. Wing Commander is the title of the feature length film and happily the only one. Entertainment Weekly will give it a note of zero and scathing comments such as « The rudimentary special effect are laughable and the script is so bad its funny. Those are the best aspect of the movie». On the gaming side, the first one, Starlancer (A space combat sim, nicely done but without anything special about it) is in reality made by the English studio Warthog.

The second game, directed by Chris Roberts, is riddled with developments problems. Delayed over and over, it will finally be released in 2003, two years late and with most spectacular promised new features cut from it. This Chris Roberts disappoint and cant hold his promises. During the ten years that will follow he will build a production company in Hollywood (ascendant Pictures, sold without noise in 2010) and manage to produce a few films (Lord of war and The Punisher being the best know ones)

He comes back and is paid cash.

In 2012 its a new Chris Roberts who come back on the video game scene, trough the front door and with the following spectacular messages to the players : « No, PC gaming is not dead, Neither are space sims, and with your help i will prove it ! » He announce wanting to create a successor to Wing Commander for the 21st century named Star citizen and produce a pitch video where you can see cut scenes of his objectives and a prototype made with the 3d cryengine form crytek.

At the same time, Cloud Imperium Game (The company he created for the occasion) launch in October 2012 a crowdsourcing campaign on its own website (robertsspaceindustries.com) for the game. The response is similar to lightning. The site (A wordpress page with a crowdsourcing pulg-in) break down from traffic for many days, urging the company to launch a Kickstarter page. Even with server breakdown, robertsspaceindustries.com announce making a million in a single week. On Kickstarter, only 6 days are necessary to reach the 500,000$ objective. On the 19 of November, the crowdsourcing campaign has amassed 6.2 million dollars (with « only » 2,1 million from kickstarter ). This is the birth of a phenomenon and nobody, not even Chris Roberts, could have guessed such success and reaction from the public.

Tl;Dr : Quick history lesson of what Crobizzle did between EA acquisition of Origins and the star Citizen initial pitch (Nothing above average). The launch of the Idea is a runaway success impossible to anticipate.

edit : taking a few hours break - kids need to eat and some chores to do. If anyone want to pick up at page 3 go ahead.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Sandi can't act tho.

Oh. Right. Forgot about that… :ohdear:
Sorry, Sandi, if since you're reading this: I tried to think of an exit strategy but, you know.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Or, you know, you could send them to the good one, and reduce the amount of derp in the universe (since Star Citizens are going to have us at peak derp soon)...

http://www.lexicanum.com/

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does the French article have any new information or is it one long French derek smart blog post?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So I've been listening alot to Beatles recently because they were added to Spotify (and because they're awesome).

Listened Rubber Soul and a neat little song comes along:

He's a real nowhere man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He's as blind as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

Nowhere Man, don't worry
Take your time, don't hurry
Leave it all till somebody else lends you a hand

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He's a real Nowhere Man
Sitting in his nowhere land

I know we've been doing a lot of "change the lyrics of a song to fit with SC" but honestly, this is almost creepily accurate.

Goddamn Beatles, so ahead of the curve, they sang about shitizens way back in the sixties.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

fuzzknot posted:

There are quite a few of us. Austin has around 1200 hockey players (combined adult and youth league), and that's not counting people like me who are just in Learn to Play.

It's fun. Just be prepared to be bruised and possibly battered, especially if you play against Bootcha. ;) Bootcha tried hooking me once, and I slashed him.

I used to play renaissance football. It's sorta like rugby but without all those nasty, strict rules...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

But, but but but free pizza and STAR WARS! And I get paid while it happens!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Does the French article have any new information or is it one long French derek smart blog post?

Nothing new, no, and far too composed to be a DSmart post.
But it's all there, in one place, and in some actual, traditional, non-blog media.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

^^
Click the link in this guy's avatar for a pro 40k read

Ty :D

Samizdata posted:

Or, you know, you could send them to the good one, and reduce the amount of derp in the universe (since Star Citizens are going to have us at peak derp soon)...

http://www.lexicanum.com/

Lex takes itself too seriously. :D 40k is silly, and so is 1d4chan.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

aleksendr posted:

I think we might have to wait a few days before its available but if any of you EuroGoons can get a copy and scan it i can translate the text..

I just read your page 1 translation and wanted to thank you for going to the effort to start translating this thing, aleksendr. I'd imagine you were pleased to see them making the same point you made quite while ago about Star Citizen potentially dying like "All Points Bulletin" did.

Eager to see what else they had to say.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 16, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

G0RF posted:

I just read your page 1 translation and wanted to thank you for going to the effort to start translating this thing, aleksendr.

+42

Threw up in my mouth a little bit writing that number.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

+42

Threw up in my mouth a little bit writing that number.

So just :five: like a normal person.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

aleksendr posted:

Translation of Page 1

Tl;Dr : Star Citizen has a bigger budget than nearly every PC exclusive game in History. Christ Roberts is in charge and his young self released a genre defining game 25 years ago.

And much like fellow 90s luminary Peter Molyneux he doesn't know when to call it quits.

Romes128 posted:

Sandi can't act tho.

:vince:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Hopper posted:

Whatever this game will be, even if it is the best computer game out there, it is still JUST A TOY.
Yet these people in all honesty believe this has any kind of value for the future of mankind.

You aren't seeing Star Citizen from their perspective, it isn't a toy to them, it's some kind of new life

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

You aren't seeing Star Citizen from their perspective, it isn't a toy to them, it's some kind of new life

A ... Second Life, if you will.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Happy Sisyphus posted:

More importantly, it's their best bet to escape their greaseinfested room at their mom's place. If only for a (crashfilled) gamesession at a time.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Happy Sisyphus posted:

almost like a second life :colbert:

e: ahh gently caress it

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

LowellDND posted:

A ... Second Life, if you will.

Second Life: Because you don't have a first life.

I know, I know. Sorry; couldn't resist.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Romes128 posted:

"Nobody throws Sandi under the bus."

She knows martial arts and will use her attackers momentum against them. The 15/15 vision also should not be underestimate in combat situations.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

fuzzknot posted:

Second Life: Because you don't have a first life.

I know, I know. Sorry; couldn't resist.

What's the deal with SL these days by the way? Not dabbled for some years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hopper posted:

Ok real talk for a moment.
The engineers who worked on the moon lander and Armstrong's suit can say something like this.
The people who supported the Lindbergh brothers and helped them built their plane can say something like this.
Backers of computer game sure as hell don't get to say it.

I am completely serious here. How mentally deranged do you have to be to consider that kickstarting, i.e. giving money to, a god-drat computer game makes you special in any way and means you are part of it?

Wasn't there some redditor a few months back that was unironically saying Star Citiezen was a bigger and more complex project than landing man on the moon?

• Locked thread