Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

did colbert ever do a live episode of the report? this seems odd to have live

The 2008 election day ep he did jointly with Jon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ahh, ok. it's practice for the super bowl

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Did one of the horns just die in the middle of the theme? :lol:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

woooo messed up one of the confessions

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I like this bit but they have to start shooting it from the other side of the wall thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

colbert flexing the singing more and more

wonder if it's his way to get an up on the rest of late-night

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
What? :lol:

Jeb!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

helium balloon

surefire ratings getter

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Man this blonde lady on Fallon sucks

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Iowa Snow King posted:

Man this blonde lady on Fallon sucks
I thought she was pretty funny. And a good-looking gal, too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This week's ___ _______ ____ ________ Johnny Carson schedule. Tonight's episode is from February 29th, 1972, two months before the end of the New York era. These episodes from Studio 6B are rare, you should tune in.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This archaeologist rules.

Please interview more people like this and less Silicon Valley types, Stephen.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

This archaeologist rules.

Please interview more people like this and less Silicon Valley types, Stephen.

im pretty sure those are paid interviews

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Conan pays tribute to all the times David Bowie was on his show :unsmith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oh man, ending on something funny and sweet like that is super sadder than anything else they could have done. :stare:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

CBS Eye of Sauron must become a recurring theme.

...as should a crowd chanting "WARLOCK!"

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 12, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

this colbert powerball sketch is 100% report

also wooo yet another tech ceo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Patton Oswalt was on Conan and explained My Little Pony. It's actually funny, I swear.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I enjoyed the batiste segment tonight

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dw90X5m1vo

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I enjoyed the batiste segment tonight

Me too. It wasn't the best thing ever, but they're trying and that's what's important. The quality will improve with persistence, which was true even for a lot of Conan's recurring Late Night bits in the beginning.

On the other hand, I was really tickled by the Rupert Jee shoutout during the desk segment but really disappointed when it didn't go anywhere.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The astronaut interview ruled. One of my favorites so far. Loved the gag with the changing names.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I love Maria Bamford and how she can take the audience out of their comfort zone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://teamcoco.com/video/mein-kampf-is-back

Hahaha, I missed this the other night but just saw it :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Timby posted:

He's getting beaten by Seth Meyers on some nights. Fallon pretty reliably doubles him up every night and Kimmel has held a comfortable lead. But I can't imagine CBS is terribly happy about Late Night beating their Late Show when it comes on a whole hour later.
Well, that's depressing as hell. I figured America would end up preferring Fallon's clown act with celebrities over Colbert's charm and wit, but not to the degree of the former doubling the latter in ratings. And I certainly didn't expect Seth Meyers to be winning out over anyone- let alone Colbert- considering that his show doesn't even have a way of obscuring the fact that he has no talent (that's why Fallon resorts to YouTube-ready gimmicks in the first place).

I hope the suits at CBS don't use this as an opportunity to meddle with Colbert's format, but on network television, ratings are everything, so we could see a shakeup soon, and that will almost certainly result in a worse Late Show. :sigh:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Patton Oswalt was on Conan and explained My Little Pony. It's actually funny, I swear.
Let me guess... his daughter's really into it, and that's why he's talking about My Little Pony? Patton should stick with voice and character acting, since at this point his comedy career is a shell of what it once was.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

I hope the suits at CBS don't use this as an opportunity to meddle with Colbert's format, but on network television, ratings are everything, so we could see a shakeup soon, and that will almost certainly result in a worse Late Show. :sigh:

they already have a bunch, what with all the promotions they do

also im convinced cbs told steve to stop high kicking in the intro

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole douchebag tech CEO interview cycle is the only thing that really rubs me the wrong way about Colbert, but he's so good at interviewing that he gets the most out of it. Hopefully that's something he can grow out of.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Y-Hat posted:

Well, that's depressing as hell. I figured America would end up preferring Fallon's clown act with celebrities over Colbert's charm and wit, but not to the degree of the former doubling the latter in ratings. And I certainly didn't expect Seth Meyers to be winning out over anyone- let alone Colbert- considering that his show doesn't even have a way of obscuring the fact that he has no talent (that's why Fallon resorts to YouTube-ready gimmicks in the first place).

I agree. How dare people prefer this infantile, surface level dreck over the nuanced brilliance that is japanese animation Stephen Colbert-sama.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 17, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

they already have a bunch, what with all the promotions they do
Yeah, true. Those post-NFL segments were pretty bad, and we'll never get anything like the "no more than 16 Wheat Thins can be eaten during a commercial" moment like on The Report so long ago.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 17, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CBS's plan to put colbert right after the super bowl might work well. i think there are a lot of people who would enjoy him but just aren't aware of him, or maybe they're turned off because they think he's (still) some weirdo political guy

pwn
May 27, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

Yeah, true. Those post-NFL segments were pretty bad, and we'll never get anything like the "no more than 16 Wheat Thins can be eaten during a commercial" moment like on The Report so long ago.
Wait what? I watch the show online, I don't get CBS, are there bonus bits Colbert did for those Thursday night NFL games? Are they online to watch?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

CBS's plan to put colbert right after the super bowl might work well. i think there are a lot of people who would enjoy him but just aren't aware of him, or maybe they're turned off because they think he's (still) some weirdo political guy

It's pretty crazy that Rush and so forth are marking Colbert as some psycho leftist liberal.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

GreenNight posted:

It's pretty crazy that Rush and so forth are marking Colbert as some psycho leftist liberal.

Have you ever listened to Limbaugh? Dude is a paranoid, depressed man who cannot take a joke. He says stuff like that about everyone he hates, and it's not surprising he has it out for a guy who became more well-respected than he ever will by making fun of blowhards like him. Same thing happened when Al Franken was elected senator: Bill O'Reilly had an actual bit on his show where he :qq:'ed about a guy who is smarter and funnier than him, and who has done things that O'Reilly will never have the balls to do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Don't forget that Limbaugh is a self-hating pill-head.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Have you ever listened to Limbaugh? Dude is a paranoid, depressed man who cannot take a joke. He says stuff like that about everyone he hates, and it's not surprising he has it out for a guy who became more well-respected than he ever will by making fun of blowhards like him. Same thing happened when Al Franken was elected senator: Bill O'Reilly had an actual bit on his show where he :qq:'ed about a guy who is smarter and funnier than him, and who has done things that O'Reilly will never have the balls to do.

The thing that sticks with me about the O'Reilly-Franken crybaby fest is that when O'Reilly bitched about Franken, he said something like "these remarks are vicious - and that's with a capital V" - in that same know-it-all tone of voice he always uses like he's imparting knowledge and not busting out the lamest adjective-modifying phrase ever to whine. "That's with a capital V." What a lame assball fuckface poo poo rear end balls.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Steve Vader posted:

The thing that sticks with me about the O'Reilly-Franken crybaby fest is that when O'Reilly bitched about Franken, he said something like "these remarks are vicious - and that's with a capital V" - in that same know-it-all tone of voice he always uses like he's imparting knowledge and not busting out the lamest adjective-modifying phrase ever to whine. "That's with a capital V." What a lame assball fuckface poo poo rear end balls.

and funnily enough, franken is friends with letterman, who famously made fun of o'reilly straight to his face, many times, on the late show :D

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 18, 2016

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

It's time to come to grips, people.
Colbert isn't wobbling the eyehole meter at all.
It's actually dipping.

This very thread proves the point as there are more Conan praise posts than Colbert and Conan hasn't been exactly setting the world on fire since going to TBS.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Colbert has been extremely boring, but not in the way where you flat-out feel bad for him, like when Fallon started out.

What galls me about Colbert is how little he cares about actually doing anything with the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Colbert's desk segments where it's basically just like the Report are usually great, and sometimes he'll have a good guest on that either works on their own or works because of the back and forth they have together. That's definitely not always the case, though.

That Jon Batiste teaches piano bit was pretty hilarious, but unfortunately bits like that seem to be too few and far between on this show.