Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

blk posted:

I'm trying to remove a strut and no amount of PB blasting or breaker barring will get these two bolts to move:

I assume an impact wrench would just make them spin, but would I hurt anything by trying?

It's not a terrible idea to loctite suspension mounting bolts. But I might have used blue instead of red. If this is the case, heat it with a torch or heat gun till it smokes, then remove while hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Chauncey posted:

It's not a terrible idea to loctite suspension mounting bolts. But I might have used blue instead of red. If this is the case, heat it with a torch or heat gun till it smokes, then remove while hot.

I thought that red was what required heat. Either way, those bolts don't look like they had lock-tite applied.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, I knew GM was still making the 4.3L V6 based on the Gen 1 small block. Funny story, I was in the Romulus plant and saw them making engines with a distributor and expressed my surprise to the SQE. He just laughed an do old me they'd been making the engine forever.

Anyway that engine uses NGK ITR4A15 and that was the oldest engine I know.

But yeah, there is definitely a plated version (NGK BR6...S? I looked this morning but forgot by now... ) so you can spare yourself the trouble, there.

Also, I did ask a guy who works in the aftermarket department and he thinks it's probably autolite that makes the black ones, still. Like I said, don't buy autolite... :P

You're right, the Autolite 85 is also black. Would you believe they make unplated platinums, too? (AP85)

I don't buy the story about how the SBC is still being made is the reason for these plugs sticking around. They went to a different plug (NGK TR55 is what's in mine) in the mid 90s, and I believe the LS stuff still uses that physical form factor. Not sure about the new LT stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Surely the old-style stuff is produced because of racers and the kind of car guy who would complain up a storm if anything was changed in the last 50 years. Heaven forbid the plating on the plug change!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raluek, you guys ever figure out why the head wouldn't come off of that Civic engine?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Raluek, you guys ever figure out why the head wouldn't come off of that Civic engine?

Friend with car has been out of town (school started up again) so I don't think any progress has been made. I'll post in this thread either way, once wrenches are applied to the car once more.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Stupid question but I don't know anything about cars: my 2002 Hyundai Sonata v6 needs to get the timing belt replaced. I've looked online for labor cost quotes and they're all radically different. Before I call up shops, what's a "fair price" to expect for a timing belt replacement job?

A buddy is offering to do it for $500 which seems high for a guy who isn't a certified mechanic and doing it out of his home garage.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fair price is going to be between 700-1200 based on vehicle and area rates.
If the water pump is driven my the timing belt (it probably is) then replace that too, becsuse it's basically no extra labor and the part is cheaper than the $700 it will take to fix it later if/when it breaks.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Forgot to ask that. Besides the timing belt and water pump, are there anything else I should get replaced during the job?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

Forgot to ask that. Besides the timing belt and water pump, are there anything else I should get replaced during the job?

rollers, tensioners

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I posted earlier about my battery being dead.

We just jumped it successfully using some thicker gauge cables. But when I got home and turned it off and then attempted to start it, it was dead again.

Does this sound like the battery needs to be replaced or could it be something else?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Enourmo posted:

Do replacement ball joints not come with new ones?

I'm an idiot. Didn't even think of buying just the joint. Went straight from looking for the boot to replacing the whole arm.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

me your dad posted:

We just jumped it successfully using some thicker gauge cables. But when I got home and turned it off and then attempted to start it, it was dead again.

Does this sound like the battery needs to be replaced or could it be something else?

Probably battery is dead. Autozone should be able to test its cranking amps really easily.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So I have a lovely old 1 car separate garage. Probably about 60 years old, roof is a little saggy but its not going to fall over on me (probably). The interior beams and plywood have some surface rot, all of our stuff that is stored in there gets a nice coating of flaky wood dust. It is wired for 110v power which is nice, and has a working power garage door.

I want to use the garage to work on cars, but I am on a tight budget. Rebuilding it or making any sort of massive renovation is probably not feasible. I was considering a couple of things.

-clean the garage out, powerwash/bleach everything
-then either staple tyvek to all the interior exposed beams and ceiling tresses, creating "walls" that don't "weep wood dandruff" or buy a paint sprayer and spray a couple of heavy coats of primer all over everything...or screw sheet plywood of some sort to the whole interior?

-then build a wall of cheap shelving using 2x4s and cheap wood

my tools are limited and I probably wont have much manpower to assist me with it, but I have a tablesaw and basic power drills/etc. I am reasonable handy. The garage door is offset to one side slightly, so the wider side will be the work bench/shelving side, and I will probably not build any shelving on the other side. Any suggestions or input?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

me your dad posted:

Either the battery is dead, or you have some super grody corroded terminals right at the battery. I'm assuming you connected the jumper cables right to the battery terminals, so everything upstream from there is known to be good. Visually inspect the terminals, and clean them if they look suspicious. Replace the battery cables if they're the type where the terminal is clamped directly onto the wire, instead of being crimped and molded or similar. If you suspect you may have that type, post a picture for confirmation.

If that's not the issue, it's gotta be the battery.

PaintVagrant posted:

-then either staple tyvek to all the interior exposed beams and ceiling tresses, creating "walls" that don't "weep wood dandruff" or buy a paint sprayer and spray a couple of heavy coats of primer all over everything...or screw sheet plywood of some sort to the whole interior?

This sounds good. I had my car stored in an old barn for awhile, and the walls/interior roof were covered with stapled-on clear plastic sheeting. Looked like it helped keep the elements out, as well as random falling pieces of barn.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
2006 GMC Sonoma, 150kish miles, 4.3
Doesn’t Start

A week ago my dad’s truck died while running and now wont start. He was less than 5 minutes down the road, at idle. He was either still at idle or had just begun to pull away from the stop and the truck died. Here’s 3 videos of us (me, my dad, and my automotive friend Mr. T in the red sweat shirt) trying to start it with starting fluid and gas:

1st video, sprayed some starter fluid before starting, almost catches.

2nd try, with gas

3rd try, more fluid

Here’s what we know

• It had a fuel pump replaced a year ago :siren: by cutting through the bed and sealing the hole back up with what is now old, curling duct tape. :siren:
  • We can hear the fuel pump prime when the key is on.
  • It has spark, we pulled a plug and can see it.
  • When it died it died ‘normally’. Like it idled down the normal rate as if he had shut it off. It didn’t just slam off as if there was a timing issue.
  • There are no codes.
  • A fuel pressure gauge showed 60+ lbs, when a real mechanic friend we called said that engine only needs 54 (if I recall).
  • We also used the gauge to pump some fuel into a bowl and didn’t see any water in it.

The real mechanic (who be the one I pay to fix this if we can’t figure it out) said next we should run a compression test. I personally (though I’m the least mechanic of the four people involved) don’t see how a blown head gasket keeps it from starting at all.

This engine should have a timing chain and what everyone’s saying/I’ve heard is that if the chain had a problem it likely would have jumped a tooth wich would lead to it running like poo poo, not this total inability to start.

Mass Air Flow sensor? I thought about buying a can of cleaner and trying that but Mr. T says it “almost never works”. I pretty much learned everything from him so I’d never actually even heard of MAF until I chanced upon a youtube video of it, such is Mr. T’s disdain for the technique apparently.

Apparently if we can’t fix it the comedy-though-entirely-for-real option is throw an LS in it, Mr. T bought one for a Jeep project that ended up with a poo poo body and frame.

Grodo
Jul 30, 2015
Here it goes, I have a 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 and I'm looking to replace all four of my tires that won't break the bank. Any suggestions for tires that will survive the minefields of Arizona roadways (pot holes the size of my car.) I'm not worried about performance or wet weather. Thanks in advance.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
4.3 guy check if you have a loving spark. WTF with pouring gas into the engine and not expecting it to flood out. Have you ever changed the distributor? Seriously check the spark or you have some crazy vats lock out. I almost grantee it is the distributor if you haven't changed it before. All your sensors don't matter from a cold start really on a 4.3L it just dumps fuel, air, and needs a spark. MAF matters more after it ran a minute and goes out of cold start mode.

Just watch this jeez. Good way to test if ignition electrical issue or distro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvVgu6E_z4w

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 17, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

2006 GMC Sonoma, 150kish miles, 4.3
Doesn’t Start

[*]It has spark, we pulled a plug and can see it.

You checked just one plug?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

PaintVagrant posted:

So I have a lovely old 1 car separate garage. Probably about 60 years old, roof is a little saggy but its not going to fall over on me (probably). The interior beams and plywood have some surface rot, all of our stuff that is stored in there gets a nice coating of flaky wood dust. It is wired for 110v power which is nice, and has a working power garage door.

I want to use the garage to work on cars, but I am on a tight budget. Rebuilding it or making any sort of massive renovation is probably not feasible. I was considering a couple of things.

-then build a wall of cheap shelving using 2x4s and cheap wood

my tools are limited and I probably wont have much manpower to assist me with it, but I have a tablesaw and basic power drills/etc. I am reasonable handy. The garage door is offset to one side slightly, so the wider side will be the work bench/shelving side, and I will probably not build any shelving on the other side. Any suggestions or input?

Cover everything with OSB and then build some cheap 2x4 workbenches and storage. I did that to my old saggy garage and it's been great:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

8ender posted:

Cover everything with OSB and then build some cheap 2x4 workbenches and storage. I did that to my old saggy garage and it's been great:

poo poo man, that looks great. I might have to look into it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Grodo posted:

Here it goes, I have a 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 and I'm looking to replace all four of my tires that won't break the bank. Any suggestions for tires that will survive the minefields of Arizona roadways (pot holes the size of my car.) I'm not worried about performance or wet weather. Thanks in advance.

It seems weird to not care about good performing tires on a Speed3. Get the highest rated all seasons in your price range from TireRack if your primary concern is just cheap, decent tires. They won't be cheap because of the tire profile though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
My 1992 Toyota Camry has door locks that have been getting progressively stickier. The key will go in just fine, but it doesn't want to turn. It's hard to tell what is to blame, but it's not that the mechanism turns slowly, it just doesn't want to catch to allow it to turn. I thought maybe it was the key, but my spare has the same problem and it seems to be affecting both doors. With some googling, the things they suggest are graphite lubricant or WD40, but others say never use WD40. Is there any reason I shouldn't try graphite lubricant? They don't seem to be different grades or whatever, but at the same point, I don't want to squirt random substances into my locks without at least asking someone who knows something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never use goo or fluid of any kind in locks, always graphite. If you need to lube the linkages that are behind the scenes (inside the doors), take the door card off and lube with goo of your choice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slavvy posted:

Never use goo or fluid of any kind in locks, always graphite. If you need to lube the linkages that are behind the scenes (inside the doors), take the door card off and lube with goo of your choice.

Bingo. The graphite stuff is a super fine powder. Get the smallest tube you can find, I saw a huge bottle at Lowes today which I found hilarious, since I've been using the same 1/2 oz tube for about 15 years and it's still probably half full.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Just be careful, graphite powder can get everywhere fast, and you probably don't want to inhale it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Alright, perfect. Thanks you all very much for the quick response.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Raluek posted:

Either the battery is dead, or you have some super grody corroded terminals right at the battery. I'm assuming you connected the jumper cables right to the battery terminals, so everything upstream from there is known to be good. Visually inspect the terminals, and clean them if they look suspicious. Replace the battery cables if they're the type where the terminal is clamped directly onto the wire, instead of being crimped and molded or similar. If you suspect you may have that type, post a picture for confirmation.

I took it to Auto Zone and they tested it and confirmed it was dead. Got it replaced and now I'm good to go :)

Thanks for the help.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Christobevii3 posted:

4.3 guy check if you have a loving spark. WTF with pouring gas into the engine and not expecting it to flood out. Have you ever changed the distributor? Seriously check the spark or you have some crazy vats lock out. I almost grantee it is the distributor if you haven't changed it before. All your sensors don't matter from a cold start really on a 4.3L it just dumps fuel, air, and needs a spark. MAF matters more after it ran a minute and goes out of cold start mode.

Just watch this jeez. Good way to test if ignition electrical issue or distro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvVgu6E_z4w

Thanks for the advice, and yeah spankmeister it was just the one plug we checked.

I watched the video and though we're already changing the plugs and plug wires (which were possibly original) I also went and bought these to check on things after that's done:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I also went and bought these to check on things after that's done:

Both of those things are cheap and useful, especially the inline checker - I keep one permanently in my offroad 4x4 kit after having to check for spark without one on a cold, hungover morning 20 miles from pavement.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
At least it is a GM ignition that doesn't kill you?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
What's the best cost:effectiveness ratio sound deadening I can put in my first generation Dodge Ram? I'm only concerned with road noise so my current plan is to fix my lovely floor pans and carpet then get some off brand dynamat.

Comedy option: loud rear end stereo.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Comedy option would be insulating with expands foam or gas station foam coolers. What noise you getting? Road, engine, or exhaust?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's all road.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Are you running mud tires?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2004 GMC Envoy w/ 4.3l I6 -- How much should the tensioner arm/pulley be moving? I don't have a problem with the belt-driven accessories, but the tensioner arm bounces a good 3/4" all the time. I've never seen more than a tiny bit of deflection in normal operation from any of my other cars with a similar tensioner design... should I be concerned?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The 4.2L inline six is a bit rough running. If it bothers you change the tensioner. Also chevy idler pulleys like to seize up and are hella cheap to replace.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, so we're still trying to figure out what's wrong with the 2001 (I had the user wrong before) Sonoma with the 4.3 v6.

All the plugs and wires have been replaced, and I used that inline tester I bought to verify spark on every single new plug + wire. However, when I try to use the circuit tester on the coil it's not showing activity/power. Am I doing it wrong? Here's a picture of how I was trying to test it:

I believe that's the same grounding spot that was used in the video; is the circuit testing not showing any light/activity because I'm an idiot or is there some problem here?

Edit: Also screw that engine in that truck, one of the spark plugs is dead behind the steering column. Should have gotten the four cylinder, Tim Allensque power lusting be damned.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 19, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You've confirmed spark, so it's safe to assume the coil is getting power.

Also, that tester is probably rated for 12 volts, right? You're putting more than a bit over 12V into it by poking it into the coil like that, so you may have burned it out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

some texas redneck posted:

You've confirmed spark, so it's safe to assume the coil is getting power.

Also, that tester is probably rated for 12 volts, right? You're putting more than a bit over 12V into it by poking it into the coil like that, so you may have burned it out.

woops. Thought I bought the more expensive one for just that reason but may be. So if I've got more than enough fuel pressure and all the spark plugs work...it's jumped time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jack B Nimble posted:

woops. Thought I bought the more expensive one for just that reason but may be. So if I've got more than enough fuel pressure and all the spark plugs work...it's jumped time.

You mentioned in your first post that a compression test was "next", has that been done yet? You need fuel, air and spark; if 2 are good I'd check that before moving on to mechanical issues.

That engine's the same architecture as a small block V8, I really doubt it's got bad valve timing at only 150k. It's possible the valves need adjusting, but that'll show up on... you guessed it, a compression test. Do that first, and if it's bad then you can diagnose why. If it's good, your timing is fine unless it's 360 degrees of crank rotation off or something retarded (:v:)