Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tortolia posted:

Thanks for the translations, guys. Seems like a pretty fair article, so citizens should be furious at the lack of fellating from the media yet again.

Also a pretty interesting contrast between this article and the PC Gamer SQ42 coverage.

They don't have a Studio in France, so nobody important to anger and also the Canard PC edition house is know for its acidic tone about most subject. From what i gathered from the comment on the website of the magazine they where surprisingly gentle compared to the usual fare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

There is also the fact that as long as the "Its not finished yet !" card is in play, the best result we can hope for is "Not enough data to answer the question".

It doesn't matter what you say, do you think Dolvak and the INN crew don't know they are full of poo poo? They are at war, if it takes a little lying to fight evil and protect CIG that is what they'll do and they do it every day.

I've been saying this for a long time, the community is the worst part of all off this. The GIC management are in it for the money, Ben fucks the moderation because he's in it for the petty power but these people? They do it because they are shithead cultists. There's nothing it it for them but protecting CIG and luring in however many incautious passersby as they can. What do you call those guys encouraging those "I have a problem and I'm in for thousands of dollars already" dudes to buy even more ships other than "human trash"?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Does anyone have the urge to e-mail Canard PC with corrections? They handle a lot of the issues that the thread has brought up, but there's some curious gaps. For example, when they briefly discuss Roberts' Hollywood career, they curtly mention that he quietly sold Ascendent Pictures for no reason, when we know that he hosed up and got into legal battle with Kevin Costner. That sounds like anything but without incident.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG releases SQ42 to mediocre reviews. The gaming community toys with it, yawns, and moves onto something else. A few more half-hearted alpha revisions release, then stop without explanation. Servers are taken offline until just one remains, running the most recent Alpha build for a few more months before silently going dark. Sandi disappears, her failed acting career now impossible to fulfill as she continues aging gracelessly into the soulless husk she was always destined to be. Chris Roberts' name becomes synonymous with failure, and serves as a warning to all developers who are new to the business; on the flipside, his story serves as a rallying cry for publishers to defend their model of business. Government meddling in multiple countries follows when wind that hundreds of millions of dollars were taken with nothing to show for it, and we all deal with new laws, regulations, and other bullshit - some to our benefit, most not. Most backers get over it and move on - some of the most unstable may perish, but nobody will notice, report about it, or even care, so those deaths will never be linked to the project.

There's going to be at least one video with some juggalo flipping out screaming GOOOOONS like that Bjork nut. He may or may not have a "4th Stimpire" t-shirt on.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Young Freud posted:

Does anyone have the urge to e-mail Canard PC with corrections? They handle a lot of the issues that the thread has brought up, but there's some curious gaps. For example, when they briefly discuss Roberts' Hollywood career, they curtly mention that he quietly sold Ascendent Pictures for no reason, when we know that he hosed up and got into legal battle with Kevin Costner. That sounds like anything but without incident.

They've undoubtedly had emails about it, I don't think it matters in the long run.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone doubting that function is by far the least important part of CIG's design process merely has to look at the latest Jump Point to think otherwise. All that work and not a single reference to play testing or modeling the thrusters to ensure it can actually fly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Karl posted:

Nothing. And it would be completely stupid to think, that the goons are the only griefers out there. Either CIG manages to build in a 'consequence' system that allows to reduce griefing to an acceptable level or the MMO part will die fast. I'm convinced they will learn it the hard way, I can't see that they have the slightest idea how ugly it will be in a sandbox game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4108lm/apparently_a_uk_lawsuit_has_started_no_sauce_given/cz0zqg5

I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. He said something reasonable.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Jason Sextro posted:

exactly why I nominate Eonwe to talk about anime - none of them merit or warrant any serious discussion.

I mean we could also just do nothing.

Well this is obviously the most sensible response.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

He's no dummy, he follows the thread he knows what's coming.

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG releases SQ42 to mediocre reviews. The gaming community toys with it, yawns, and moves onto something else. A few more half-hearted alpha revisions release, then stop without explanation. Servers are taken offline until just one remains, running the most recent Alpha build for a few more months before silently going dark. Sandi disappears, her failed acting career now impossible to fulfill as she continues aging gracelessly into the soulless husk she was always destined to be. Chris Roberts' name becomes synonymous with failure, and serves as a warning to all developers who are new to the business; on the flipside, his story serves as a rallying cry for publishers to defend their model of business. Government meddling in multiple countries follows when wind that hundreds of millions of dollars were taken with nothing to show for it, and we all deal with new laws, regulations, and other bullshit - some to our benefit, most not. Most backers get over it and move on - some of the most unstable may perish, but nobody will notice, report about it, or even care, so those deaths will never be linked to the project.

ron perlman walked up behind me and started reading this out loud

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Swagman posted:

ron perlman walked up behind me and started reading this out loud

I can't decide. Is it over just one slide image or five?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

It doesn't matter what you say, do you think Dolvak and the INN crew don't know they are full of poo poo? They are at war, if it takes a little lying to fight evil and protect CIG that is what they'll do and they do it every day.

I've been saying this for a long time, the community is the worst part of all off this. The GIC management are in it for the money, Ben fucks the moderation because he's in it for the petty power but these people? They do it because they are shithead cultists. There's nothing it it for them but protecting CIG and luring in however many incautious passersby as they can. What do you call those guys encouraging those "I have a problem and I'm in for thousands of dollars already" dudes to buy even more ships other than "human trash"?

People with serious issues that have warped them beyond redemption, who should be pitied at the same time they're told to shut up and stop actively harming others. The pitying is important, and also try not to hate them because hey they're people too, even if they're being really lovely people. E: but also if you hate them, don't beat yourself up about it. It's hard not to hate people who are being really lovely :unsmith:

Tippis posted:

I can't decide. Is it over just one slide image or five?

Probably like, 3 with some powerpoint level animation of things sliding across them. I imagine the "half-hearted alpha releases" as version numbers flitting across the background image of a single monitor in a server-room, plugged into the one remaining machine in a rack, while cables lie scattered everywhere, for example. Then they just leave that image up as they talk about the servers going down, then the blinking cursor or whatever disappears as the monitor turns off on that remaining machine, before switching to the Sandi slide. Maybe they could even combo Sandi with the CR slide by using a photo where she fades out, and something happens to his face or something, red x or horrible headlines appear around it or whatever, I'm just spitballing.

e: with like, the fallout splotchy-dirty-texture filter over the whole thing of course.

surc fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 17, 2016

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh my loving god that UI is actually aggressively bad.
No plane would have something like this.

Its like someone tried to badly copy the elite dangerous interface but had a stroke halfway through.

For comparison:

Star Citizen

Elite

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I know we've been doing a lot of "change the lyrics of a song to fit with SC" but honestly, this is almost creepily accurate.

Goddamn Beatles, so ahead of the curve, they sang about shitizens way back in the sixties.

Haha yeah that's why I had to avoid Nowhere Man in search of lyrics to parody with, there's no assembly required.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Its like someone tried to badly copy the elite dangerous interface but had a stroke halfway through.

Just remove “the interface” and it'll be pretty generally applicable to anything that comes out of CIG these days.

surc posted:

Probably like, 3 with some powerpoint level animation of things sliding across them. I imagine the "half-hearted alpha releases" as version numbers flitting across the background image of a single monitor in a server-room, plugged into the one remaining machine in a rack, while cables lie scattered everywhere, for example. Then they just leave that image up as they talk about the servers going down, then the blinking cursor or whatever disappears as the monitor turns off on that remaining machine, before switching to the Sandi slide. Maybe they could even combo that one with the CR slide by using a photo where she fades out, and something happens to his face or something, red x or horrible headlines appear around it or whatever, I'm just spitballing.

e: with like, the fallout splotchy-dirty-texture filter over the whole thing of course.

Of course.
I suppose Sandi and Chris can share a slide, with Sandi literally fading away and being replaced by some silhouetted angry mob as Cathead is subtly morphed into a more haggard and wrinkled version of himself. Same with the government and community — it fades from one to the other over a diagonal split screen, and as the last user lifts his hand to his mouth, the image is scrolled off-screen. The last words are said over a soft thump as an empty pill bottle rolls into view… [THE END]

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Eonwe posted:

I'll go provided I'm allowed to talk at length about anime

Only if your retort to all attacks is the anime cherry-mouth gif

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

2DCAT posted:

Only if your retort to all attacks is the anime cherry-mouth gif

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Tippis posted:

Of course.
I suppose Sandi and Chris can share a slide, with Sandi literally fading away and being replaced by some silhouetted angry mob as Cathead is subtly morphed into a more haggard and wrinkled version of himself. Same with the government and community — it fades from one to the other over a diagonal split screen, and as the last user lifts his hand to his mouth, the image is scrolled off-screen. The last words are said over a soft thump as an empty pill bottle rolls into view… [THE END]

[ROLL CREDITS]

SQUADRON 42

----Starring----

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Tippis posted:

Just remove “the interface” and it'll be pretty generally applicable to anything that comes out of CIG these days.

Star Citizen: It's like someone tried to badly copy Elite Dangerous but had a stroke halfway through

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

ALLAH will view star citizen backers MUCH UNFAVORABLY when the endtimes come

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Someone should run through all the names CIG would be trying to copyright, see what they missed (Cause we all know Ortwin is a hack) and let the actual copyright holders know.

Even something small like the name 'Star Marine' being taken, once they notice it's a $100mil company that hosed up lawyers will be allover them trying to get a piece, could be fun to watch

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is comical given the immediate ad hominem he and others result to whenever a debate over something starts up. It's even better given his history of personal insults directed at people being civil but arguing a different viewpoint.

Oh also we apparently posts all sorts of doxxing information here

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 17, 2016

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is comical given the immediate ad hominem he and others result to whenever a debate over something starts up. It's even better given his history of personal insults directed at people being civil but arguing a different viewpoint.

Wouldn't that still be 133 pages of valid criticism even by they're metrics?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

So he's a D&D goon?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
You can use google to find the new Jump Point, but that doesn't mean you should :psyduck:
Did CIG hire that guy who does the fan photoshops or something?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vorpal Cat posted:

Wouldn't that still be 133 pages of valid criticism even by they're metrics?

Using their math, yeah. Using their logic, no because the game is infallible.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Unfunny Poster posted:

*ben fat joke post*

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unfunny Poster posted:

Should tell him, "not good, just hundreds of dollars richer"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dolvak go gently caress yourself you idiot

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A theory by the Fourth Stimpire writer

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6252321/#Comment_6252321

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 17, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when asked to provide proof of doxxing posted here on the forums/thread...

I am looking forward to the outrage over the image being called photoshoped.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Stimperor hath spoken *cuts off cock*

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unrelated to what I posted earlier but still funny

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I would never have claimed this thread had as much as 10% legitimate criticism

bens fat

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dolvak remember when you pussied out right away and said you wanted no more of this. You might wanna go back to that way.

Also if I see another inn link sticked I'm gonna contact the admins that the subreddit is shameless self promotion and that gets your rear end banned on Reddit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Reddit's guide to dealing with criticism of Star Citizen:

Step 1) claim they know nothing about game development.

If for some reason they demonstrate a familiarity with game development, proceed to step 2.

Step 2) the person is a Derek Smart alt and can be completely ignored.

If you are speaking to a real person who is definitely not Derek Smart, proceed to step 3.

Step 3) slink away with as much dignity as your weight and autism allows.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Also we don't just make Ben fat jokes. We also make jokes about Sandi and Jared.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Ben should be glad everyone itt focuses on his lol corpulence and not the rest of his hilarious depressing existence

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
ben fat, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I've never made a Ben fat joke and have described him more as tragic figure than anything else. But Dolvak is a stone cold hypocrite -- in so very many ways -- and he knows it.

• Locked thread