Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

slidebite posted:

Just wanted to say again how perfect this is and thanks for the recomendation. Been using it for a few days now and it's EXACTLY what I wanted. Going to send the developer a donation.

Quicksaver does good work. Also the person that saved tab groups as an addon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Two things:

Firefox seems to have trouble loading gifs sometimes on these forums since 43.0.4. Weather it's one gif or a few, the page will freeze as I'm scrolling, sometimes for just a second or for half a minute, before returning to normal.

Second, now that SA embeds webms, I'd like more control over webm operation. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of add-ons for that. At the least I want webms to start at half volume instead of full.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Freakazoid_ posted:

Two things:

Firefox seems to have trouble loading gifs sometimes on these forums since 43.0.4. Weather it's one gif or a few, the page will freeze as I'm scrolling, sometimes for just a second or for half a minute, before returning to normal.

Second, now that SA embeds webms, I'd like more control over webm operation. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of add-ons for that. At the least I want webms to start at half volume instead of full.

I have definitely noticed that freezing. I've seen comments that it is fixed in nightly, so you'll have to wait until Firefox 45. It still occurs for me in Firefox 44 beta.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Freakazoid_ posted:

Same. They're really long and annoying freezes too, but CPU use doesn't go up or anything.

Nalin posted:

I have definitely noticed that freezing. I've seen comments that it is fixed in nightly, so you'll have to wait until Firefox 45. It still occurs for me in Firefox 44 beta.

:( Firefox 45 is not something I'm looking forward to. I still have one extension that's unsigned, NextImage. Been carrying this old thing along since like firefox version 4, manually hacking the RDF file to support ever-higher version numbers.

So what's a replacement extension which:
- is signed
- increments/decrements a url by one with a keyboard shortcut (rebindable to shift+left/right)
- doesn't need UI or anything else
- doesn't try to auto-build image galleries or do anything "smart", just move on to the next page of a SA thread with a key press

edit: though I did see that v45 ESR will restore the ability to use unsigned extensions. so maybe I'll just move over to ESR and stop upgrading. They're say they're gonna get rid of panorama / tab groups sometime soon, but I like tab groups.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 15, 2016

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Klyith posted:

edit: though I did see that v45 ESR will restore the ability to use unsigned extensions. so maybe I'll just move over to ESR and stop upgrading. They're say they're gonna get rid of panorama / tab groups sometime soon, but I like tab groups.

Good news! This exists and works great so far in my experience. It's almost identical to panorama except he's added some useful features already.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-groups-panorama/

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

i also was experiencing this but it seems to have stopped happening as of a couple of days ago? i'm on 43.0.4, can't think of anything I did that might have fixed it though

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sick trigger posted:

i also was experiencing this but it seems to have stopped happening as of a couple of days ago? i'm on 43.0.4, can't think of anything I did that might have fixed it though

The longer you leave a tab open, the longer the delay will be once you scroll down to the gif. If you are reading your opened tabs right away, you won't notice it. However, if you are somebody like me who might open 10 tabs, read a couple, then read the rest an hour or two later, you'll have to deal with Firefox locking up on you for periods of time.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I've noticed a weird, where if I have more than one Firefox window open, they'll steal focus from each other from time to time. Almost every reference to this kind of behaviour seems to date back to 2010 or 2011, so I'm at a loss at what the cause could be.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Firefox keeps getting more laggy with every update. Chrome is a privacy black hole. I've just spent an hour setting up Pale Moon as close to Firefox as I can, only to find it doesn't support x264 video.

Gaah. Is there a good port of Firefox? I'm in a bad mood. Need to spend time away from the PC.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The good port of Firefox is Firefox.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DeaconBlues posted:

Firefox keeps getting more laggy with every update. Chrome is a privacy black hole. I've just spent an hour setting up Pale Moon as close to Firefox as I can, only to find it doesn't support x264 video.

Gaah. Is there a good port of Firefox? I'm in a bad mood. Need to spend time away from the PC.

'Laggy' in what respect?

Multi-process Firefox isn't too far away if you're worried about UI responsiveness; you can already try it with Firefox Developer Edition if you're interested.

You can also try the pretty standard troubleshooting steps of running Firefox in safe mode or a new profile to see if your addons or settings are causing whatever issues you're running into.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The "choking on page full of gifs & multimedia" is annoying. But I never know if it's one of my plugins or not, so...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I haven't had the issue of choking on a page full of multimedia since I disabled Flash.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

mike12345 posted:

The "choking on page full of gifs & multimedia" is annoying. But I never know if it's one of my plugins or not, so...

Nah, it's just Firefox. It has lots of problems dealing with gifs and multimedia in general. Like, Firefox rendering speeds bottoming out if there is a tab open with an animated favicon. Or the long freezes if you leave a tab open with a large gif running. Multi-process (E10s) hides most of these problems, though, so Mozilla might just be delaying as long as possible so they don't have to bother with a bunch of these problems.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Opera 12 had a very good solution to the gif problem: don't play them until they are visible.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I found a way to reliably freeze Firefox yesterday while researching a holiday:

Airbnb seems to be the heaviest site in existence, and something to do with the way it loads images kills Firefox with only 10 tabs open. Ram usage got up to 1.3GB and climbing - though that wasn't the main problem.

I experienced the whole of Firefox becoming blacked out, and a a completely non-responsive UI.

Tried again with a fresh profile - no improvement.

Oddly Chrome also seemed to struggle - as every tab crashed (replaced with frowny face).

Can anyone else confirm that Airbnb is a monster?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The Airbnb homepage or what? Because it's smooth for me in FF.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Klyith posted:

So what's a replacement extension which:
- is signed
- increments/decrements a url by one with a keyboard shortcut (rebindable to shift+left/right)
- doesn't need UI or anything else
- doesn't try to auto-build image galleries or do anything "smart", just move on to the next page of a SA thread with a key press

Doesn't SALR have navigation keys?
There's also bookmarklets that will do increments.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

astral posted:

'Laggy' in what respect?

Multi-process Firefox isn't too far away if you're worried about UI responsiveness; you can already try it with Firefox Developer Edition if you're interested.

You can also try the pretty standard troubleshooting steps of running Firefox in safe mode or a new profile to see if your addons or settings are causing whatever issues you're running into.

Just tried developer edition and it's the same. It might be this PC. It's particularly bad when switching from embedded video to fullscreen mode. I'm using the integrated graphics on an AMD 6400K home theatre rig running Elementary Linux. Plex and YouTube are terrible these days. It used to run sweet. Either it's a recent flash update or I need a graphics driver/OS reinstall. This OS has been solid for about 18 months.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

wooger posted:

Airbnb seems to be the heaviest site in existence, and something to do with the way it loads images kills Firefox with only 10 tabs open. Ram usage got up to 1.3GB and climbing - though that wasn't the main problem.

I experienced the whole of Firefox becoming blacked out, and a a completely non-responsive UI.

Oddly Chrome also seemed to struggle - as every tab crashed (replaced with frowny face).

Hmm I opened 20+ AirBnB tabs for shits and giggles, but no black screen yet.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

wooger posted:

For what it's worth, I've been experiencing this since 37, but I always assumed it was because my (windows) tablet only has 2GB of RAM. If someone posts a couple of pictures of 5 megapixels or more here, FF dies. Loading isn't the problem, but rendering is. Sometimes I can revive FF by forcing a re-render by minimizing or popping up the on screen keyboard. Might be gpu or gpu memory related too, I guess. I have no such problems on an actual computer.

Anyway, I hope someone figures it out.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Try the 64bit version.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I've been banging the "Firefox runs like poo poo" drum since 2010 or earlier. A 64bit build with E10S enabled (and 12 content threads) has resolved almost all of my gripes. Firefox still does weird poo poo sometimes, but so does Chrome. At least it doesn't lag constantly.

That said, E10S isn't super optimized right now, and the big trade off is higher RAM usage. If you're using a Windows device with only 2GB of RAM, I honestly don't know what solution is going to work for you.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

xamphear posted:

I've been banging the "Firefox runs like poo poo" drum since 2010 or earlier. A 64bit build with E10S enabled (and 12 content threads) has resolved almost all of my gripes. Firefox still does weird poo poo sometimes, but so does Chrome. At least it doesn't lag constantly.

That said, E10S isn't super optimized right now, and the big trade off is higher RAM usage. If you're using a Windows device with only 2GB of RAM, I honestly don't know what solution is going to work for you.

tbh any device with a full featured operating system and 2GB of RAM is going to swap to poo poo the moment you start doing anything more than staring at your desktop picture. and i can't imagine firefox being all that much more wasteful with RAM than google 'hedonismbot' chrome

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
On a tablet with 2g of ram, I might just suck it up and go with Edgelord.

Kerbtree posted:

Doesn't SALR have navigation keys?
There's also bookmarklets that will do increments.
I'm not into SALR, and I occasionally look at other websites with pages besides SA. But I found a good extension that can do exactly what I'm after: URL Flipper. I just needed to change my search to "url increment" rather than "next page" to find it. Works well, recommended if anyone else is looking for this kind of thing.

Bookmarklets would be a fine answer, but how do you put a bookmarklet on a keybind? (I think I might want to use that even though I no longer need it for the next page thing: one of my favorite things to deal with our web 2.0 nightmare world is the "zap stylesheets" bookmarklet.)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

2GB Ram works great for a variety of things -you'd really be surprised- and it's just Firefox freaking out for some reason. Swapping isn't the problem, non-responsiveness hardly either. Just rendering problems that black out the browser window. IE doesn't do this.

Can't use 64 bit Firefox on a 32 bit Windows, which is what this thing shipped with. Can't be arsed to find out how to boot from a usb stick on it to install 64 bit Windows.

I basically just mentioned it in case the other guy recognised one or more of the circumstances, which might point to where the problem is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flipperwaldt posted:

2GB Ram works great for a variety of things -you'd really be surprised- and it's just Firefox freaking out for some reason. Swapping isn't the problem, non-responsiveness hardly either. Just rendering problems that black out the browser window. IE doesn't do this.

Can't use 64 bit Firefox on a 32 bit Windows, which is what this thing shipped with. Can't be arsed to find out how to boot from a usb stick on it to install 64 bit Windows.

I basically just mentioned it in case the other guy recognised one or more of the circumstances, which might point to where the problem is.

What device are you using, exactly?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

fishmech posted:

What device are you using, exactly?
Medion Akoya E1234T, which is just over a year old now. For 199€ it was a pretty reasonable buy at the time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reminder that good ol' K-Meleon is still around and under development. For those not aware that's what people ran back in the day when Firefox didn't work on WIndows 98/ancient computers and even today it manages to support nearly everything Firefox can do and runs like a dream on anything built a decade ago. Should be a good fit for that tablet.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The about :config flags posted a few weeks back really, really help. It's second in smoothness only to Safari on OS X.

browser.tabs.remote.autostart true enables e10s
layers.async-pan-zoom.enabled true enables async scrolling in e10s making scrolling super smooth!
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled true enables off mainthreading composing
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled true enables tracking protection globally, nice feature too!

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 17, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Milkman posted:

The about :config flags posted a few weeks back really, really help. It's second in smoothness only to Safari on OS X.

layers.async-pan-zoom.enabled true enables async scrolling in e10s making scrolling super smooth!
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled true enables off mainthreading composing
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled true enables tracking protection globally, nice feature too!

Don't use layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled - at best, it does nothing:

mozilla gfx team member posted:

this pref has no effect anymore. We needed it a little while ago for some reason related to automated testing with different configurations on multiple branches.

But I've heard some reports that it causes issues. The actual off main thread composition pref is layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled, which you will probably find is already set to true. :)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The SA forum style changed in like... Jan 1st 2015? 2014? I can't remember, but I installed Stylish or Greasemonkey to make the forum style look like the pre-change one. Now something changed and it has reverted to the lovely new style. I've been using these forums since 2001 so I don't like the new style OKAY?

Anyone remember what was the original thread that had the style change tweaks?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The Milkman posted:

After having issues with Twitter being slow, I bit the bullet, downloaded 64-bit Firefox and did all this. :dogbutton: feels like an all new browser. Twitter's back to working again too.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
In addition to those settings, there's an even more untested setting you can try if you're feeling up to it.

dom.ipc.processCount

This setting changes the number of threads Firefox will use to render content in tabs. By default, you get one thread for the UI and one thread to render ALL tabs in. But if you increase that number, you provide more threads for tabs to run in. In my limited testing, I have set it to something fairly high and it creates and closes threads as I open and close tabs. It will use a LOT more RAM though, so it's probably best used on laptops or desktops with 8 or 16 GB of memory.

I genuinely wonder if they'll have true (multiple content threads) E10S in release builds by the end of this year.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 17, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jeeves posted:

The SA forum style changed in like... Jan 1st 2015? 2014? I can't remember, but I installed Stylish or Greasemonkey to make the forum style look like the pre-change one. Now something changed and it has reverted to the lovely new style. I've been using these forums since 2001 so I don't like the new style OKAY?

If you'd like to just straight up have it look the same as years back, here's the forums css used in 2008: https://web.archive.org/web/20080709135551/http://forums.somethingawful.com/css/main.css

Be aware that this might not work with some little elements added since then.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

fishmech posted:

If you'd like to just straight up have it look the same as years back, here's the forums css used in 2008: https://web.archive.org/web/20080709135551/http://forums.somethingawful.com/css/main.css

Be aware that this might not work with some little elements added since then.

It's just funny that I followed someone's guide in one of the now-forgotten "the forums style has changed!" posts to use either Stylish or Greasemonkey to change it back to pre-2014 style, and I forgot how I did it then. I've used the same profile file since in Firefox, so I can't remember how or what I changed. Now it randomly reset/changed and ugh the new SA forum style.

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone have that old Somethingawful Forum Fixes CSS thing that some goon made for Firefox? I think it was just a CSS file for GreaseMonkey or something. Google is failing me and I forgot the name of the goon who did it. It basically reverts the forums to the pre-2014 changes.

Same question, but on last page. Thanks!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 17, 2016

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

jeeves posted:

Edit the grease monkey script you're using to point to 'forums2.css' instead of 'forums.css'. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that changed this month

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

pokecapn posted:

Edit the grease monkey script you're using to point to 'forums2.css' instead of 'forums.css'. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that changed this month

My savior.

I apparently thought this was a "Stylish" addon script, but apparently I only have one Stylish thing which removes the dumb animations from the FF toolbars.

I had not configured/used GreaseMonkey in so long that I thought that just going to Addons -> GreaseMonkey -> Options would show me any SA tweaks I may have input before, but it didn't have anything besides GreaseMonkey options so I thought maybe I wasn't using Greasemonkey or something?

Then I realized there is a "User Scripts" side bar item, which then had a "SA Fixes". Oops.

Thanks for the help.

Edit - On the bright side I think this was one of the last sort of unknowns that I had forgotten how to reconfigure if I ever wanted to reset my profile. Now I can-- for the first time in like 3 years!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2016

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Be careful if you're updating to x64 FF44b9 and have enabled e10s support, flash pages will crash every tab (quite gracefully I must add) without fail. This might just be something on my end too, but I wanted to post a heads up just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dodoman posted:

Be careful if you're updating to x64 FF44b9 and have enabled e10s support, flash pages will crash every tab (quite gracefully I must add) without fail. This might just be something on my end too, but I wanted to post a heads up just in case.
Might be fixed in later builds. I'm on Nightly (46) and don't have any crash issues with flash tabs with E10S.