Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

peter gabriel posted:

I do not understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w0uC7zheXY

How can this happen?

I hate everything.

The only way this makes sense is that I already drank all the whiskey in the house, which was hardly any.

I facepalmed nearly as hard as I did when I I got the car fixed at loving Walmart earlier today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Someone photoshop a larger number and post it. I want to see wesha get really salty and mad.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

fuzzknot posted:

Or even if you're not.

whas going on here

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Someone photoshop a larger number and post it. I want to see wesha get really salty and mad.

Has to be $420,000

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Avalanche posted:

Just remembered...

Isn't literally everything in this game clientside?

If this game even gets close to being a widely distributed beta, it is going to get hacked to loving death.

Well I did some digging and there's some dev who commented a lot on the initial server architecture

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17417/ask-our-network-programmer-tom-sawyer

Guy seems pretty knowledgable but why oh why did they decide to go with nosql as their backend :psypop:

Then again that's from 2013 so they (hopefully) learned their lesson quick

Cassandra has no built-in transaction rollback due to the distributed nature along with a world of problems running it in clusters located around the world. I had to administrate two clusters housed on opposite sides of the USA and any latency greater than around 50ms made the entire thing implode and nodes started flapping like crazy. Good luck scaling that worldwide.

Aside from that the server notes seemed pretty normal for an online game

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Stanko-Prussian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXFWLJ4p6Q

ah look at all the loaded people

Miss Sandi Gardner, flicks through a rolodex
looking for help with her scheme
building her dream
arranges a meeting, puts on a face
that's she's worn for auditions before
a foot in the door

All the loaded people
Where do they all come from?
All the loaded people
Why's it all gone wrong?

Mr. Chris Roberts, run out of town
over contracts he failed to complete
his career is dead meat
remembers the past times, writing space games
for computers, flight sims at their core
tries it once more

All the loaded people
All the loaded people
Why's it all gone wrong?

Miss Sandi Gardner, married to Chris
And ascended to business VP
plan worked to a tee
Mr. Chris Roberts, drowns in snake oil after
blowing the cash on a spree
"two weeks" is the plea

All the loaded people
All the loaded people
Why's it all gone wrong?

this is the best one so far jesus christ amazing

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Kakarot posted:

whas going on here

I meant there's no way in hell this is a good idea.

But what else is new.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Stanko-Prussian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXFWLJ4p6Q

Miss Sandi Gardner, flicks through a rolodex
looking for help with her scheme
building her dream
arranges a meeting, puts on a face
that's she's worn for auditions before
a foot in the door

All the loaded people
All the loaded people
Why's it all gone wrong?

Mr. Chris Roberts, run out of town
over contracts he failed to complete
his career is dead meat
remembers the past times, writing space games
for computers, flight sims at their core
tries it once more

All the loaded people
All the loaded people
Why's it all gone wrong?

Miss Sandi Gardner, married to Chris
And ascended to business VP
plan worked to a tee
Mr. Chris Roberts, drowns in snake oil after
blowing the cash on a spree
"two weeks" is the plea

All the loaded people
All the loaded people
Why's it all gone wrong?

OMG.

If I didn't love Bootcha, I might love you more. It's PERFECT. :swoon:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, look at all the stupid people! Where DO they all come from?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

And to add to this once again. This preorder of the guide for the modding of the private servers is still something you can give them money for.
Sorry to link again, I just find it somewhat amazing.
[/quote]

Oh My God.

I have been sperging over SC for all this time and I never saw that.

gently caress all of them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

That's kind of witty and therefore totally not in line with SC.

Sorry, sorry, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I just liked the fact it sounded so much like the correct term.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, if CryStarengine's net code is so bad, and their backend is so janky, how are they going to deal with clientside cheating?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, I just realized I have made several posts at the end of the thread with no animations or graphics so...

And, :pgabz: says PAAAAAAAAAAAAARP to :gary:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

flyboi posted:

[ ... ]

Aside from that the server notes seemed pretty normal for an online game
How do they go from something that seems pretty normal in 2013 to Chris in late 2015 saying that they still have issues on their 16-player server with everyone receiving info about everything everyone else is interacting with regardless of distance and location?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samizdata posted:

Also, if CryStarengine's net code is so bad, and their backend is so janky, how are they going to deal with clientside cheating?

There's a Space Bushido Code that's written into the TOS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

If I had to guess I would say by releasing a single player game that flops and drives the company into bankruptcy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I see jpegs, gotta buy
I see jpegs, gotta buy
If it ain't bought already
Ooh girl you know the reason why.

In the morning gotta buy
In the evening gotta buy

My mother was of the sky
My father was of the earth
But I'm persistent universe
And you know what it’s worth
Those jpegs, gotta buy

My credit card expired
I'm taking out a loan
I feel so Shitizen-full
Just like Dylan's Mr Jones
Jpegs, gotta buy
If I ain’t dead already

No doubt crossed my mind
Jpegs are my soul
Feel so Shitizen-full
But I cannot lose control
Gotta buy, yeah gotta buy
Girl you know the reason why.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's a Space Bushido Code that's written into the TOS.

Fine. Then I am founding the Space Yakuza. (That is if I can ever be arsed to get a copy to play.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If I had to guess I would say by releasing a single player game that flops and drives the company into bankruptcy.

Wow! Another response from Beer. And I had one from The Smart One himself earlier.

You like me! You really like me! :cry:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought Squad the other day. It's pretty cool if you like Arma and ever played on Mil Sim servers with the ACRE mod. It's basically a take on that sort of stuff.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Samizdata posted:

Well, we know there won't be any aimbot hacks...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's weird basing your self-worth on how much you've spent on Star Citizen.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

It's weird basing your self-worth on how much you've spent on Star Citizen.

That's why people think cig is taking advantage of incredibly weak willed and possibly mentally challenged people

It's inconceivable to spend 30k on a videogame you can't play for more than am hour (and that has like half an hour worth of content) and be happy about it

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Imagine four alphas on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the alpha nearest the cliff is sent back to the line of alphas and takes the place of the first alpha. The formerly first alpha becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

flyboi posted:

Guy seems pretty knowledgable but why oh why did they decide to go with nosql as their backend :psypop:

Fashion. They'll have some node.js tucked in some corner someplace.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

That's why people think cig is taking advantage of incredibly weak willed and possibly mentally challenged people

It's inconceivable to spend 30k on a videogame you can't play for more than am hour (and that has like half an hour worth of content) and be happy about it
The times I've watched anyone actually try to play "Alpha 2.0" they look utterly miserable.

But more often than not, the Star Citizen streams turn out not to be the "game," but to be someone browsing the cash shop and discussing with their chat channel what they want to buy next, and they look genuinely excited and happy.

It's really ... something.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chin posted:

How do they go from something that seems pretty normal in 2013 to Chris in late 2015 saying that they still have issues on their 16-player server with everyone receiving info about everything everyone else is interacting with regardless of distance and location?

Just bad coding in general. In most normal games a server takes all the relative actions from a client, simulates what's going on server-side from everyone and feeds only what's important to that single person.

If online game coding gives you a nerd boner whatever that company is that makes EVE has a ton of really good blog posts about how they leveraged their architecture to the point of basically breaking their database servers beyond anyone has ever imagined at one point.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/

Looks like they just did one recently outlaying all the underlying technology in the new 'verse for 2016. And they use MSSQL now so that's neat.

CiG on the other hand is leveraging "the cloud" meaning "we bought an ec2 instance because it's web 2.0" and throwing around some buzzphrases of different tech that emerges in cloud world but don't really seem to add up to a viable product. Their idea is spin up/down their little pods all around the world, decentralize the 'verse and somehow tie it back to their main area and magically the massive delay from going halfway around the world isn't an issue. When you don't have controls of your edge routers or upstream providers you'll find really fast this isn't really an option.

CCP on the other hand have stayed located in a single data center went n+1 across the board and even went so far as to implement some sort of SDN at the routing level to better-route their outbound traffic over their upstream provider. So compare the two notes and you can draw an idea of how half-assed CiG is.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I have been reading a little bit of this Chris Roberts character you all talk about so much. Frankly it's pretty disturbing (bold emphasis is mine):

quote:

Posted by: Chris Roberts
Sent: at October 1, 2015 14 10
To: John Kiefer
CC: David Swofford
Subject: Articles of future star citizen

John,

I David Swofford guess, by looking at the e-mail that was forwarded to me, which is filled with a bunch of opinion of former employees with enflamed dissatisfaction by false and personal quest of Derek smart to destroy the star citizens, very I was shocked to.

I, you, "none of these, do not come from Derek," but know say, we both it you know that it is not true. You, he is in an e-mail ejected on his blog and Twitter for a few months, we have quoted the exact same thing. Although you can I can I will if you want to give a link to you on the (obviously is false) exactly the same claim, we both, it came from a small number of people he has rounded up with him I know there. We are the two continents and the 261 employees of the company of which spread to the four development studios. Company and the Company's size there will be some unhappy former employees definitely - the same any of the true wonder of large organizations - we are built soon, everyone is super It will fit in one of the culture is a star. We are not in an amicable the past few years, all have parted with few people on them, it is alarming to feel like there is a one-sided works are filled with complaints of people who are not part of the project for masu reason. As long as I've been made a game, especially in the large-scale project, which is to always was the case, it will not be the news.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chin posted:

They are just incompetent. Proper area-of-interest implementations can be pretty simple and yet effective enough for an Alpha. With just 16 players the amount of processing required for even the naive approach is negligible so they really have no excuse.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

They are just incompetent. Proper area-of-interest implementations can be pretty simple and yet effective enough for an Alpha. With just 16 players the amount of processing required for even the naive approach is negligible so they really have no excuse.

Yup. Time for SPACEhacks. So I can shoot you all the way across the instance. When the system can actually tell where you are.

Hopefully.

(I mean, seriously, if their system is having that much trouble tracking client locations, what happens when my gamecash balance desyncs with their system?)

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

quote:

What do you think? Do you really want to provide smart Drake? This is the same man who wrote to the start of the Lieutenant Colonel who would argue that we do not give up the game, I had to stop printing, or will sue us. I told him that we did not hear from him for us and good luck at this point. He never even Sweden. His game, of course, the famous battle of 3000 AD Now, it will take many years to get out (I think I went to the Commander of age before playing four COM).
Derek has received some "big" life difficult, just keep them to know the people, rather than allow his game to make history speak. We are not the first project where he made his goal attack. Personally, I think it would be better to use the game of your work, instead of that road. Are you able to capture the attention of a lot as you have enough balls in a report, the facts in this way. You can like this article, extract, or any day, but a piece of his mouth. He has repeatedly described fully in hook, line and Bunker, and try to hurt the project this year, and said a lot of information from the reputation of the context. I just do not get it. The only person as a braggart, a bully, and the annual game developers and the scary part is known Derek Wise. Just look at the history, for many years. Or see takes the way of those who dare to write errors now "game." The defense of the country, why not do the piece? All you have not drat us, he does not really have! He is a self-projection of the king!

I can't believe he never even Sweden!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I think we broke Amarcarts.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Anybody remember Glitchless software and their vapourware MMO, Dawn?

Dawn was this pie-in-the-sky MMO idea that got announced around the time Everquest was launching Velious. It promised everything. Proceduraly generated continents, cultures, and characters. Permadeath. Player-created-everything. All they had were a few derpy screenshots and a big FAQ that, looking back, made some absolutely ridiculous claims. For a while they were selling T-Shirts and poo poo for their vapourware game, which people started to get nervous about after like six months. Then they opened up some Newgrounds-esque flash RPG that still exists to this day.

They did far less than CIG and people got sick of it much sooner. I have no idea why people believe in CIG so much.

EDIT: I can't (and I'm not) accusing SC of being vaporware since the code obviously exists. It's the promises I'm comparing to.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

quote:

I'm not enough for you to reach the escape work, which becomes an obstacle to the online public last part. Why till noon today, it does not matter, you are in the presence or absence of the public, you want to drive our feedback? There is evidence to indicate that you get both sides of the story is the statement of an emergency, so I, who announced, check that really only short-term, there is a modest fact, you can afford Should I become a journalist, and it was confirmed ' m responsible, what is not? However, in order to get it, what is the same, he certainly did not get it, it has, it is believed, it is possible to look for (citizen attention star Derek Smart Because suspicion active every day, -this attack, a kind of game that way related to the uncertainty of the campaign of fear).

Also, I order to pursue their own interests, I am very worried, you will be jeopardizing this reporter. This is for someone, you can check the game player known supporters morality gateway and magazines, she has the ethical journalists who do not work, carried out in accordance with the business, it is. Bandit, Rijifinegan @ made from istheguy this tweet.

It is a self-proclaimed feminist. On the other hand, @ of istheguy thief with a reporter, I muttered about 2 articles are to avoid a suite method monitor, the previous day, the citizens, the fact that he wrote the article, when you say goodbye, they are the latest from the end of doxing itself uses this range is the same man, his wife and daughter started .... .. tweet attacks, in the title role.

Because they retweets lawyer, Heavyset, usually they are there - August is almost entirely active it was established in 11 days, "Bandits" this year, an anonymous player portal account for people persecution he used, I think it is enemy. Two great goals, and interactive harassment on this account, GG to prevent the murderer, but it should be noted, when Derek complaints and reports support smart. and when he returned, yet intelligent game, Derek Harper and Randy Burianau announced (we that mailed back stock people try to suppress it, according to the victim, he plays in our - we believe that the strong freedom of speech, so that you have, as long as it is their presence so that the number of different views in our forum, and the rest in the standard liturgy in, you will be asked for your other development you to people of specific citizen, a member of society, as well as his own it to you that you can make long term respect, the star standard does not use this opportunity to attack) or they are the ones who do.

Derek @ 1 data acquisition: You, the end of the interview is considered to be an employee of Florida (the same output 2, we have the local time by more than 15 to a number of September 24 the government from the point of connection in a tweet to let go of the sides) You, L., you do not have the level of local complexity, not had time. I have people, 16:'d come to release 01 "thief."
When you look at the history of a friend Twitter Liz, in many cases, there is a tendency to increase the opinions / comments, evaluations person has a tweet as "bandits." I am, because he has any relationship that does not have to stretch or, in accordance with the noise vicinity Liz and "bandits," I do not know, love life image of Liz, "a thief" (I. Please understand.) In one of the possibilities. I will demand the presence of micro-blog application, one of these types issued a statement.

In addition, (as evidence) "bandits" retweets.

This is because taking all of our request is very smart, Derek, we have shown the practice of articles that describes, do not allow any suitable opportunity relevant. Before Liz David Swofford, posts he / new friends, and riding on a direct link to Derek Smart Leeds, that my short, David, in their Leeds very unpleasant exchange ("Bandit A" after 24 hours of 744pm, () I saw earlier disputes, claims run our Los Angeles office in Austin comes to Friday afternoon) David outside of the office. Sing some of the comments and additional concerns that my article, some of them, when I grow up, I thought I'd have a chance to go to it has been described as too much Rizudabide frustration and despair that has revealed the Book Derek smart anthem just announced.

One thing is for certain: THIS IS HIS VISION!

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

More to come later, when I'm rested. It can be a little intense with Chris. You don't talk to the Chairman. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you"... I mean I'm... no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Amarcarts posted:

Because they retweets lawyer, Heavyset, usually they are there

If Chris Roberts can call people fat then Dolvak shouldn't get upset when we do it

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 18, 2016

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Welcome to the somethingawful forums Rhubarb94, it was fun watching matilda2013 go on a stalking rampage to try to prove you were already a goon when you signed up and posted on reddit.

But I guess you really were "made" a goon by them after all lmao

To be fair to him I've been lurking here for a while, but I didn't want to register on one of Karl's regular Lowtax donation day's in case of mistaken identity.

I AM NOT KARL ! :gary:

Posting that was as much fun as I thought it would be, I now have the power to deploy dancy cat to increase the gravitas of my shitposts :pgabz: .

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chin posted:

beyond the general "CIG is terrible" that other people are saying, in late 2012 / early 2013 it was gonna be a much simpler design with physics and object movement much closer to the crysis baseline. If you ever played the MWLL mod or saw it in action you can see how a cryengine game with large maps, multiple types of vehicles, and FPS play outside of vehicles is completely possible. They were doing it in a loving mod. Star Citizen needed a lot more work and bigger scope than MWLL, but it could drat well have worked. A bunch of non-combat interactive elements plus an economy plus the persistence and instancing system would have been enough to impress people.

but as the funding kept rolling in and glorious chairman kept adding features, expanding the scope, and moving further away from anything already covered by the cryengine. Vehicles with physically modeled thrust and procedural damage, 3 different ideas for how cargo works, non-uniform per-ship physics grids, modular ships, more and more ships to buy!

and all of that poo poo was added in a haphazard way long after the feature spec should have been set in stone. I was talking to a good friend about this stuff, and he gave the best summary ever about why this is insane and completely predictable, something like this: "at each step of software engineering, stuff that you screw up or don't nail down is 10x more work to fix in the next step." this is why they are years behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And to add to this once again. This preorder of the guide for the modding of the private servers is still something you can give them money for.
Sorry to link again, I just find it somewhat amazing.

Oh My God.

I have been sperging over SC for all this time and I never saw that.

gently caress all of them.
[/quote]

Wow. Just wow. $10 today. Private servers...we'll get back to you on that one.

• Locked thread