Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mahoning posted:

People over 25 actually go out on NYE?

I'm 34 and this was the first year I didn't go out on NYE. Most of my friends went out on NYE at least until their 30s, and most now have only stopped because they have young kids.

Edit: I didn't know why they playoff games got pushed to NYE, and I kept wondering who made that dumbass decision, good to know now that it was the playoff committee. I bet ESPN hates themselves right now.

Also, it's pretty stupid to try and make a new "tradition" of playoffs on NYE, when 1 out of every 3 years it actually won't be on NYE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Also, it's pretty stupid to try and make a new "tradition" of playoffs on NYE, when 1 out of every 3 years it actually won't be on NYE.
The only NCAA tradition that is important and pure is March Madness (minus the whole First Four play-in nonsense).

The bowl games in CFB have fallen under the sheer weight of how many gently caress all useless there are out there. It's beyond ridiculous. The BCS was poo poo and this current incarnation is poo poo. So goes the plight of NCAA foobah.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bowl games are all fun and most people are not complete idiots and thus capable of recognizing that the Rose Bowl is a lot more important and prestigious than the GoDaddy Bowl even though they both happen to have "bowl" in the name

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Bowl games are all fun and most people are not complete idiots and thus capable of recognizing that the Rose Bowl is a lot more important and prestigious than the GoDaddy Bowl even though they both happen to have "bowl" in the name

There's essentially three tiers of bowl games.

- The prestigious ones, which are now largely just the New Year's Six (Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, and sort of Peach). Roughly the top 12 teams, usually big matchups.
- The less-prestigious but still historic bowls, like the Citrus or Alamo bowls, which feature 2nd/3rd place teams from major conferences and have been going on for a long time.
- The filler bowls, which are typically fluid in name and location, feature teams around 7-5, and appear at all hours of the day at random on ESPN.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't deny that the Rose Bowl is still very prestigious, I mostly give it grief because the game itself hasn't been interesting in a while, and it usually butts up against the Fiesta Bowl which seemed to be the "gently caress it, go deep" bowl for quite a while.

E: I also hate the B1G so I'm not exactly unbiased :v:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

AsInHowe posted:

There's essentially three tiers of bowl games.

- The prestigious ones, which are now largely just the New Year's Six (Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, and sort of Peach). Roughly the top 12 teams, usually big matchups.
- The less-prestigious but still historic bowls, like the Citrus or Alamo bowls, which feature 2nd/3rd place teams from major conferences and have been going on for a long time.
- The filler bowls, which are typically fluid in name and location, feature teams around 7-5, and appear at all hours of the day at random on ESPN.

The filler bowls have a quality tier too, but this often changes from year to year and I've given up keeping track. I just like college football so the more of it the better.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The 5-7 teams all won this year after everyone freaked about diluting bowls (as if anyone ever thought the loving Foster Farms Bowl was anything but a fun exhibition that gave the players a nice trip), which owned.

Also even the crappy bowls smash stuff like basketball in the ratings, which is the actual reason so many of them exist. If you don't care then don't watch, but I'm in favor of more football to watch and the players who make them seem to by and large enjoy themselves a lot and care about the games. I am in favor of players getting any sort of compensation they can for their work, even if its just a free trip to Orlando or whatever to hang out with their teammates for a week and play in front a half empty stadium.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 6, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

The 5-7 teams all won this year after everyone freaked about diluting bowls (as if anyone ever thought the loving Foster Farms Bowl was anything but a fun exhibition that gave the players a nice trip), which owned.

holy poo poo they did, I didn't even notice that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How hard is it for FBS to copy the FCS playoff structure?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can't have bowl chairmen making 500k salaries if the games move to different college campuses every year based on seeding.

(this is the real answer btw)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN got hammered hard overpromising on ratings to advertisers for the CFB semifinals

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DOOP posted:

How hard is it for FBS to copy the FCS playoff structure?

You'd be looking at a fundamental restructuring of just about every aspect and elimination of bowl games.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ayn rand hand job posted:

You'd be looking at a fundamental restructuring of just about every aspect and elimination of bowl games.

I really don't believe this is true. They were able to incorporate a semifinal playoff game into the bowl structure without disrupting the previous 72 weeks of bowl games. You can insert the playoff games and remove the teams who qualified and keep the rest of the bowls exactly as they are. The inclusion of the 5-7 bowls doesn't affect the national championship, and the incorporation of a real playoff structure doesn't affect the 5-7 bowls.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Badfinger posted:

I really don't believe this is true. They were able to incorporate a semifinal playoff game into the bowl structure without disrupting the previous 72 weeks of bowl games. You can insert the playoff games and remove the teams who qualified and keep the rest of the bowls exactly as they are. The inclusion of the 5-7 bowls doesn't affect the national championship, and the incorporation of a real playoff structure doesn't affect the 5-7 bowls.

The NCAA doesn't have complete scheduling control, and managing to centralizing that power would constitute a fundamental overhaul of how bowl games are organized.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the FBS championship isn't even an NCAA championship I don't think. The NCAA would have to wrest control away from the conferences and good luck with that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the FBS championship isn't even an NCAA championship I don't think. The NCAA would have to wrest control away from the conferences and good luck with that.

Yeah. Technically there are 3 national college football championships, none of which are NCAA championships. (AP, Coaches, BCS/CFP)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

Yeah. Technically there are 3 national college football championships, none of which are NCAA championships. (AP, Coaches, BCS/CFP)

Four counting the Piggly Wiggly Championship

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Badfinger posted:

I used to write up a hypothetical 16-team playoff at the end of each regular season during the BCS era. Round of 16 games at home fields of higher seeds, quarterfinals rotating among the Cotton / Peach / Outback tier of bowls, semis and final rotating among the Big Four (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange). It included the champs from smaller conferences, so the Sun Belt would probably make more money from their champ getting trounced at Clemson on national TV than they would from whatever filler bowl their champ is tied into now.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I used to write up a hypothetical 16-team playoff at the end of each regular season during the BCS era. Round of 16 games at home fields of higher seeds, quarterfinals rotating among the Cotton / Peach / Outback tier of bowls, semis and final rotating among the Big Four (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange). It included the champs from smaller conferences, so the Sun Belt would probably make more money from their champ getting trounced at Clemson on national TV than they would from whatever filler bowl their champ is tied into now.

I did a hypothetical 128-team tournament last year (Bama won because god is dead). If I get bored at work this spring I may do this year's (Bama will win because god is dead).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jessica Mendoza will be with the Sunday Night Baseball broadcast crew all season

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Weird question, but does anybody know if the video from Ashley Whippet's first performance when he was brought onto the field at Dodger Stadium exists, and if so where I can watch it?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I just watched ESPN.com's highlight clip of the Packers/Cardinals game and holy poo poo was it bad. Like "boom goes the dynamite" guy bad. Please tell me this was some intern level person they pulled out of an edit suite to do a quick and dirty voiceover for the website because I was better than that when I was 19 doing campus TV at Syracuse.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

That is very weird, she almost sounds stoned. Maybe it's just some weird accent, but whoever it is doesn't enunciate at all and seems to almost slur her words at certain points.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The immediate highlight videos on the website are almost always some like 20th string ESPNNews person you've never seen on TV as far as I can tell

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OH poo poo THE NEXT 30 FOR 30 IS THE GODDAMN 85 BEARS

I don't think it is humanly possible to find anything new about them since the local Chicago channels air an 85 Bears documentary like every 6 months but give me that sweet HD Payton footage please.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does Buddy Ryan punch his own team's Offensive Coordinator? If not, i'm not interested.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

The immediate highlight videos on the website are almost always some like 20th string ESPNNews person you've never seen on TV as far as I can tell

Also a lot of times they don't even post the actual broadcast highlight, so they force you to watch the lovely read.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One of the worse (best?) ideas in NFL broadcasting - pointing a mic at a pissed off looking Cam Newton

I for one enjoy panicked cutaways on live TV

R.D. Mangles posted:

OH poo poo THE NEXT 30 FOR 30 IS THE GODDAMN 85 BEARS

I don't think it is humanly possible to find anything new about them since the local Chicago channels air an 85 Bears documentary like every 6 months but give me that sweet HD Payton footage please.

Man, is there any other team on the planet that their one MOMENT OF GLORY more than the Bears? Talking to Liverpool fans comes close but at least they won a bunch of stuff back in the day, not just one title.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MikeCrotch posted:

One of the worse (best?) ideas in NFL broadcasting - pointing a mic at a pissed off looking Cam Newton

Man, is there any other team on the planet that their one MOMENT OF GLORY more than the Bears? Talking to Liverpool fans comes close but at least they won a bunch of stuff back in the day, not just one title.

The Bears won a lot of titles, they just happened well before the Super Bowl came around.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

'72 Dolphins?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bird in a Blender posted:

The Bears won a lot of titles, they just happened well before the Super Bowl came around.

So did the Lions but you don't hear Detroit fans talking about all their championships in the '50s.

Well not that often, anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

So did the Lions but you don't hear Detroit fans talking about all their championships in the '50s.

Well not that often, anyway.

We talk about them in frustration, not teary eyed reminiscence.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

Jets and Dolphins.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Deathlove posted:

'72 Dolphins?

To be fair, they went undefeated.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

1994 New York Rangers

But how much of the 85 Bears is thanks to SNL

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 18, 2016

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Deathlove posted:

'72 Dolphins?

The '85 Bears probably gets canonzied more than the Dolphins. You really only hear about the Dolphins when the media is forced to talk about them (like when the last undefeated team loses or a team gets to say 13-0) where you hear about the '85 Bears randomly all the time. For example, after the Panthers lost this year you won't hear about the '72 Dolphins again until either a team is undefeated through like week 12 or the last undefeated team loses.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

The '85 Bears probably gets canonzied more than the Dolphins. You really only hear about the Dolphins when the media is forced to talk about them (like when the last undefeated team loses or a team gets to say 13-0) where you hear about the '85 Bears randomly all the time. For example, after the Panthers lost this year you won't hear about the '72 Dolphins again until either a team is undefeated through like week 12 or the last undefeated team loses.

You used to hear about the '72 Dolphins a lot more a decade ago. Constant mentions about how they'd always get together and celebrate when the last undefeated team lost, stuff like that. It definitely seems to have gone away though. Last time I really heard about them was when the Pats went undefeated in the regular season. You didn't hear nearly as much as you'd expect to with three teams taking unbeaten records so deep into the season.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Didn't someone figure out that their celebration story wasn't even true

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The only one really propping up the '72 Dolphins is Mercury Morris anyway, the rest of the team has probably forgotten about it due to CTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Goddammit they just settled the MLB TV lawsuit. No terms out yet but so much for blowing up the blackout model.