Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

EightAce posted:

3) Sandi probably helps out as well, on top of being a multi lingual, Olympic level swimmer, martial arts expert, best business woman in the world ever, model, actress, marketing guru, musician, Customer service expert, founder of star citizen, free climbing, wind surfing , writer and mother .... Ill wager she is also a pretty shot hot coder.

Don't forget Boxing, Kick Boxing, Martial Arts - Mixed, Motorcycle Riding - General, Shooting - Revolver/Automatic, Surfing, Yoga, Host, Improvisation, Licensed Driver, Motorcyclist, Piano, Teleprompter, Australian Accent, British - BBC English Accent . :smuggo: not that she brags......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
She's also a marine biologist, so she can just hop on a research ship and disappear into the horizon if Star Citizen finally drowns in its own poo poo.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about coding/programming but this is what I imagine sandi's coding

IF hollywood_career = jumpstarted
THEN support Chris_roberts
ELSE divorce OR chris_roberts = cucked by handsome_French_dude

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MeLKoR posted:

Do you know how redditors look into this thread and get 90% of the poo poo wrong because it's months of inside jokes buried under layers of shitposting? I've been in this forum for 11 years and FYAD is still completely opaque to me. FYAD is what happens when you look into the shitposting abyss for too long.

So, basically, the ultimate shitposting clique, purely for the sake of being one. Pretty much what I already pegged it as but, ah wells. Was best to ask, just in case.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

:bravo: you got me good there :]

Derek Smart alt confirmed.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

The Original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKNw477onU

The Star Citizen Lyrics

Well, I'm so tired of crying
But I'm out in the ‘verse again
I'm in the ‘verse again
Well, I'm so tired of crying
But I'm out in the verse again
I'm in the ‘verse again
I got me some jpegs
That I call my special friends

You know the first time I traveled
Out in the PTU -
In the PTU
You know the first time I traveled
Out in the PTU -
In the PTU
I had me my jpegs
But there was no place to go

And my dear wife left me
When I bought an Idris P -
When I bought an Idris P
And my dear wife left me
When I bought an Idris P -
When I bought an Idris P
She said "Wulge, please stop
Sendin’ pics of your tiny D."

Take a hint from me, Sandi
Please don't you lie no more -
Don't you lie no more
Take a hint from me, Sandi
Please don't you lie no more -
Don't you lie no more
'Cause it'll soon be a lawsuit
And down the road your Porsche is going

biglads fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 18, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Shooting - Revolver/Automatic
Which one will happen at CIG?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
One ship makes you larger
And one ship makes you small
And the ones that Derek gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Ben
When he's ten feet wide

And if you go chasing goons
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a flight ready Caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Ben
When he was just a lard ball

When the cultists on the messageboard
Get up and tell you not to troll
And you've just had some kind of stroke
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Ben
I think he'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And Chris Roberts is talking backwards
And Sandi's all "off with their heads"
Remember what Karl said
Buy more ships
Buy more ships

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Which one will happen at CIG?

If we're lucky she'll use her kickboxing skills on herself and then make a video to youtube (using her BBC English accent) about LEAVE CHRIS ALOOO-OONE!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 18, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

In pitch dark
I go clipping through your landscape
broken jpegs.
flip out as I scream

Just cause you bought it
doesn't mean it's there
just cause you bought it
doesn't mean it's there

there's always a sale
fleecing you to shipwrecks
steer away from this game
it's just a walking disaster

Just cause you bought it
doesn't mean it's there
just cause you bought it
doesn't mean it's there

CROBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERTTTTSSSSsssss!...........

Why so grey, and empty
empty
and eeee--mpty?

croberts sent you
to me
to me
to meeeee....AWH!

it's an accident
waiting
waiting
to happen
it's an accident
waiting
waiting
to haaaa-peen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUzW-fDNEJ0

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Avalanche posted:

But but.....

He's a brilliant coder!

Is it at all clear where he got that reputation? His last coding credit is from 1994, with the CD-version of WC2 and Super WC. He managed to scare :woof: by saying he had reverse-engineered some Lucasart engine, but iirc that turned out not to be the case so they weren't sued into a smoking hole in the ground. And let's face it, the games he did at that time were not brilliantly coded — they were bloated and slow and generally incompatible with almost everything (including the OS they were supposed to run on).

So what on earth has he coded that's so brilliant? And as mentioned, if he hasn't kept up to snuff in those two decades, and there's very little to suggest he has, he's probably worse than a novice at this point since he'll have all kinds of bad old practices in his head that need to be removed and replaced.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Is it at all clear where he got that reputation? His last coding credit is from 1994, with the CD-version of WC2 and Super WC. He managed to scare :woof: by saying he had reverse-engineered some Lucasart engine, but iirc that turned out not to be the case so they weren't sued into a smoking hole in the ground. And let's face it, the games he did at that time were not brilliantly coded — they were bloated and slow and generally incompatible with almost everything (including the OS they were supposed to run on).

So what on earth has he coded that's so brilliant? And as mentioned, if he hasn't kept up to snuff in those two decades, and there's very little to suggest he has, he's probably worse than a novice at this point since he'll have all kinds of bad old practices in his head that need to be removed and replaced.

No. Because they're making poo poo up. Chris doesn't code for this game. As I have posted before, according to my sources (you know, actually devs), his "contribution" from earlier in the project is akin to a script kiddie; since what he was doing was basically messing with variables in the CryEngine editor. So uhm, yeah.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MeLKoR posted:

I see your and raise you

When CIG cures cancer his hometown is going to give this guy a statue.
Upvoted so maybe wesha will take notice.

EightAce posted:

You are forgetting three things.
1) Chris's 'Golden hands'
2) Time flows very differently at CIG. There was a very convincing argument put forward on here that we have reached a point in the development that is actual pre crowd funding and the dev cycle hasn't even started yet. This would give the great man ample time to brush up on his skills.
3) Sandi probably helps out as well, on top of being a multi lingual, Olympic level swimmer, martial arts expert, best business woman in the world ever, model, actress, marketing guru, musician, Customer service expert, founder of star citizen, free climbing, wind surfing , writer and mother .... Ill wager she is also a pretty poo poo hot coder.
Chris Roberts has a reverse Midas touch. Everything he touches turns into poo poo.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Tippis posted:

So what are you saying his 'Golden hands ' count for nothing ? I bet he could code Derek Smart into a pretzel

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

EightAce posted:

So what are you saying his 'Golden hands ' count for nothing ? I bet he could code Derek Smart into a pretzel

That 8 hour rant he wrote was packed to the brim with neuroscientists programming. Smart has already had the code embedded. Look at him. A ghost of a man on a crusade against the greatest video game ever. He can fall no further.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

EightAce posted:

I'm sure he could. Mainly because I recall seeing some nVidia code example from, oh, the GeForce 2 era or so, where you could feed it a texture and a 3ds mesh and it would make the textured mesh fly around with all kinds of fancy lighting effects.

Even Chris could probably create a pretzel mesh and a DSmart texture, and press click “Compile” on that bad boy.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I decided to see if anyone will debate me.

quote:

Okay, I this is actually a debatable point and arguably the crux of many issues. The question is simple; is Star Citizen in good hands and on its way to becoming what people want?

I argue that the answer is no. I base this argument on three points. The first is that CIG has a history of failing to meet their own expectations. The second is that CIG has a history of mismanagement. And the third is that nobody actually knows what they are getting.

CIG's history of dates is well known. With the exception of the social module in August they have never met a single date. From the weekend delay of the hangar module to the indefinite delay of Star Marine to the latest promise of SQ42 in 2016 CIG has a history of failure. This is particularly disconcerting given that CIG has 100% control over progress, schedule, and even what is delivered. While delays and missteps are expected in any major creative endeavor, when a project manager habitually fails to deliver after multiple reworks the problem is no longer with the program. The problem is with the manager. CIG has given backers no reason to believe things will change.

The Jennison letter is a well established source of controversy, and given Sandi's confirmation of its validity in my recent email exchange his accusations of mismanagement and wasted effort deserve consideration. However the most damning example of mismanagement comes from Chris's own words. When the Escapist article was published Chris spent an entire workday, by his own admission, writing a response. In spite of being in charge of four studios and having an incredibly accomplished Director of Communications in David Swafford he chose to waste an entire day writing that missive. That he did so is damning proof of his inability to delegate. That nobody in the company was able to tell him that posting a message showing he cared more about scouring Twitter than running the company is proof of his inability to listen. CIG has given backers no reason to believe this company is competently managed.

When Chris was asked to write down what Star Citizen is in a recent interview, he simply wrote "DREAMS". It's a telling example of a very simple issue; absolutely none of the backers has a coherent vision of what Star Citizen will actually be. Vast portions of the game mechanics remain theoretical or vaguely described. Three years after the Kickstarter began (and four years into development) we are still in such an early state that the Community Manager declared that most companies wouldn't even call it an alpha. Yet in spite of this supposedly immature state (that's a year past the original release date) CIG has already seen fit to dial back expectations. The Star Citizen Kickstarter page lists a series of bullet points that summarizes what the game actually is. Two of them have already been retracted. Drop-in drop-out co-op play is gone, replaced with separate missions. Private servers has been relegated to something the developers won't even think about unti after release. Furthermore the definition of Star Citizen has changed. What was once explicitly declared to not be a MMO is now called the opposite by the Community Manager. Squadron 42 is now an open world game. With things as subjective and nebulous as Star Citizen is now it is impossible for every backer to be satisfied because some people are expecting opposing things. CIG has given backers no reason to believe they will make everyone happy.

So there you have it. I welcome your rebuttal.

For the record, the social module was not on schedule. I covered that here.

Excerpt:

quote:

Aside from that, back in a Forbes interview (the same one in which he said the game would cost $20m to finish) from May 2013, CR claimed that this social/planetside module would be finished and playable in 2014, with the full game being ready for delivery by the end of 2014.

It’s now end of Aug 2015.

Which means that it is now over a year and a half late. You can actually chart this yourself, even if you ignore the interviews themselves. In fact, here is an RSI forum thread from Feb 2014 asking about the release of this module which was scheduled for March 2014.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I think Star Marine should be included in there because it's on indefinite hold and is no longer being worked on last (back in Nov) I heard.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

For the record, the social module was not on schedule. I covered that here.

I didn't say it was on schedule. I said they met a date. At Gamescom 2015 they said the social module would be out by the end of August. It was. In the history of CIG that is the only announced date that they have ever met.

D_Smart posted:

I think Star Marine should be included in there because it's on indefinite hold and is no longer being worked on last (back in Nov) I heard.

I'm limiting myself to features as described in the Kickstarter since that's the closest thing we have to an original scope. With $105 million they can't deliver on something they were promising at $500K.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I didn't say it was on schedule. I said they met a date. At Gamescom 2015 they said the social module would be out by the end of August. It was. In the history of CIG that is the only announced date that they have ever met.

I'm limiting myself to features as described in the Kickstarter since that's the closest thing we have to an original scope. With $105 million they can't deliver on something they were promising at $500K.

Ah right. Got it. Some would argue semantics though; but OK :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Some poster in my forums has been charting the recent ship sales. If anyone didn't think this all a pathetic money grab now, this pretty much lays that argument to rest.

quote:

I was also curious just how many sales have occurred, and went looking them up.

08/28 - Vanguard variant sale

09/30 - Endeavor sale

10/10 - CitizenCon military and Sabre sale

11/19 - Anniversary-Thanksgiving Crucible & Archimedes with LTI sale

12/16 - Reliant variant sale

12/24 - Holiday and new Euro rate sale

01/15 - Alpha 2.1 patch Aegis sale

7 sales, with almost 1 per month. CIG is beyond sad and pathetic.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 18, 2016

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

D_Smart posted:

Whats the point Adam Hamdy owns Star marine in its entirety and has done for a few months. CIG has no claim on the Star marine property.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

EightAce posted:

I'm not sure where this is coming from. Chris isn't exactly known for his innovative and elegant solutions. Literally everything he's done has taken the brute force approach, up to and including Star Citizen with its utterly pointless and wasteful verisimilitude. Good developers do more with less, not less with more.

This is a loving stupid argument anyway, the CEO of a 300 person company shouldn't even be anywhere near a development environment.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just noticed something for the first time... Both Derek and I go into posting sprees often at the same time of day with several posts per page replying to poo poo as we catch up with the thread, but has anyone actually seen both of us at the same time?

Am I a real boy? C... can it be that I'm nothing more than a DS alt and my entire life is just the background he created to make it more credible? What happens to me when all the jpegs are burning? :gonk:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 18, 2016

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Can this thread have a rule where if you post lyrics to a song parody you also have to post yourself singing it

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sankis posted:

Can this thread have a rule where if you post lyrics to a song parody you also have to post yourself singing it

Chris Roberts isn't forced to play anything CIG shits out... :colbert:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sankis posted:

:yikes: Uhh i'm just...gonna...*runs away*

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

tooterfish posted:

This is a loving stupid argument anyway, the CEO of a 300 person company shouldn't even be anywhere near a development environment.

This has honestly bothered me for some time now. Why exactly is the CEO of a $100M+ company directing the mo-cap sessions? Why is the VP of Marketing acting in them? Don't these people have actual jobs to do?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sankis posted:

Also you have to give yourself a novelty song parody nickname.

--weird al smartovich

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41iqqq/how_playable_is_starcitizen_at_the_moment/

Days worth of gameplay? :crossarms:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MeLKoR posted:

Days worth of gameplay? :crossarms:

Well yeah, considering 99% of the time you are staring at loading screens from all the crashes.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

One ship makes you larger
And one ship makes you small
And the ones that Derek gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Ben
When he's ten feet wide

And if you go chasing goons
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a flight ready Caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Ben
When he was just a lard ball

When the cultists on the messageboard
Get up and tell you not to troll
And you've just had some kind of stroke
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Ben
I think he'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And Chris Roberts is talking backwards
And Sandi's all "off with their heads"
Remember what Karl said
Buy more ships
Buy more ships

That's ace. Scans better with "Lesnick" instead of Ben though.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41g200/how_far_along_with_the_star_systems_is_cig/

Rajafa posted:

They are going to procedurally generate the systems. First they need to create several system styles though. For example:
High-class, high-tech, industrial, and the "hood". I'm not sure if CIG actually called it those - but I would assume that's the style list.
They have industrial (ArcCorp) and I think Nyx is the high-tech category. So once they have those themes done they can just simply generate every single system with one of those themes in mind.

regicidalnut posted:

That's... No. You're mistaken, sir.
They are working on procedural tech, and it will be used in some aspects, but not in all the landing zones. They have a design system that they're working on that we haven't seen all of. Just bits and pieces. Of ArcCorp (all of that really), Nyx (which is their Industrial design aspect, and some concept art of MicroTech that is currently being worked on.
This design system, when finished, should allow them to connect various pieces as needed to make various landing zones in different configurations using similar design parts.
They've said there will be an aging/economic system that changes the state of the zones based on economic changes and game activity.
They've said multiple times that some planets and systems will be generated but most systems will be by design instead so they have the more personal and crafted look/feel.

Rajafa posted:

They've stated that alot of things are going to be modular though. This would allow them to procedurally generate anything modular. I'm pretty sure the landing zones are modular too.
Let's be honest - it's unrealistic to expect them to be able to create even 50 hand-crafted landing zones. Let alone 200. Considering how good Nyx looks.

regicidalnut posted:

Modular isn't procedurally generated.
The modular system they've built has been built so they can hand build 200+ landing zones. This extends to stations as well as not ask systems will have landing zones.

Rajafa posted:

I was simply saying they can use the modular system to procedurally generate landing zones. Considering how long it's taking just to make one modular landing zone, it's unrealistic to think they can make 200 in a reasonable amount of time. Atleast with the amazing fidelity they want.

You can tell this man knows everything about games development.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Why do they speak with authority about things like that? None of them have a loving clue what CIG are doing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I don't think he knows what modular means.

Among other things.

Among a lot of other things.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Did Rajafa really say this about himself or did he not make sure to reclaim the name when he switched to Kronypsus?

https://disqus.com/by/rajafamitswuey/

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 18, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Renegret posted:

I don't think he knows what modular means.

Among other things.

Among a lot of other things.

That last quote is key to interpret this and any other cultizen post.

quote:

I was simply saying they can use the modular system to procedurally generate landing zones. Considering how long it's taking just to make one modular landing zone, it's unrealistic to think they can make 200 in a reasonable amount of time. Atleast with the amazing fidelity they want.

By now even they have realized CIG is hosed so in order to reduce the cognitive dissonance they have to make up these stories about how Chris is going to sweep in at the last minute and magic everything right. It's the same poo poo with Freepers and their miles deep tire fire border wall.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

By now even they have realized CIG is hosed so in order to reduce the cognitive dissonance they have to make up these stories about how Chris is going to sweep in at the last minute and magic everything right. It's the same poo poo with Freepers and their miles deep tire fire border wall.

There's a lot of crossover. Note the appeals to a supra-competant father figure that knows exactly what they want.

Echo chambers literally feed off this poo poo.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mirificus posted:

Did Rajafa really say this about himself or did he not make sure to reclaim the name when he switched to Kronypsus?

How many bars does wi-fi get in his check-in location?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

With apologies to Nick Cave

quote:

I'm so far away from beta
Pacing up and down my ship
Does Roberts only love a man who pledges?
I turn on the reddit thread
There's some Karl on the saxophone
Laying down a litany of excuses
There's Cutlass longing in my baby's eyes
She rubs the patcher between her thighs
And hopes the game comes out of alpha
She lives in some forgotten build
And moves like she is in a T-pose
Breathes steady as the patcher keeps crashing

You better hold on to your pledge

Well, features rust and fall to ruin
Studios close and whales go cruising
In around the borders of her vision
She says ooh
As Roberts makes the delays grow
All around the scene of the Kickstarter

You know I would, yes, I would
I would hold on to your pledge

In the middle of the night
I try my best to chase outside
The whales and the cultists and Escapist girls
On one thousand and one bugs like these
She mutters about a refund and the physics engine that they planned
Launch her off the face of the world

You know one day it'll come out and I'd hold on to your pledge
To your pledge, I'd hold on to your pledge

Ooh baby, I'm five thousand dollars away
And I just don't know how to save
Cause Roberts only loves a man who pledges
But Reddit, we can clearly see
It's all whales and birds and lunacy
And excuses and excuses and excuses

Well, you know if I could, I would
I'd lie right now and I'd hold on to your pledge
Yeah, I would lie right now and I would hold on to your pledge
One day it'll come out of alpha and I'd hold on to your pledge
Yeah, it's gonna come out, gonna lie now
And I would hold on to your pledge
Yeah, to your pledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightAce
May 10, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

That last quote is key to interpret this and any other cultizen post.

That's about right. He will personally step in with his golden hands and code the gently caress out of it; making it both modular and procedural simultaneously. He may sound like Cleveland and he may look like a shaved David Guest but lets not forget that he also invented PC gaming.

• Locked thread