Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Skip My Posts posted:

Gilbert godfried

Thirded. If you like the parts of Norm's show where they just shoot the poo poo and talk shop about comics and comedy, this is a really good choice for that kind of thing, they talk a lot about people's careers and swap stories, gossip, and Milton Berle's Giant Cock anecdotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

cast eye ron?

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Just saw Norm in Canada last night. He pulled his shirt over his belly and showed the audience his gut. A man on the guitar opened for him, executed his 'real jerk' joke amateurishly, then sang a song about the human centipede followed by a very licentious song about Regina, Saskatchawan followed by a song about divorce and masturbation (also pun laden). I'm still not sure if Norm was pulling a joke on the audience or not, as many stupid loving Canadians were utterly delighted.

Norm killed as always.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 13, 2015

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Jokes about 'the city that rhymes with fun' never get old but maybe that's just because I've never been there. Or I'm a dumb Canadian.

No wait, I'm definitely a dumb Canadian.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Anyone else catch Norm's quasi-breakdown on Twitter a day or two ago? He seems to have deleted it but it was a long rant about getting outside, not doing drugs, just kind of this rant about lucidity you'd expect from an addict who's seen the light. Ended with a bit about quitting technology for a week, but with baseball on, obviously that didn't last. Might have been drunk Norm or trolling Norm, but it sounded like headed-to-rehab Norm.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

theradiostillsucks posted:

Anyone else catch Norm's quasi-breakdown on Twitter a day or two ago? He seems to have deleted it but it was a long rant about getting outside, not doing drugs, just kind of this rant about lucidity you'd expect from an addict who's seen the light. Ended with a bit about quitting technology for a week, but with baseball on, obviously that didn't last. Might have been drunk Norm or trolling Norm, but it sounded like headed-to-rehab Norm.

poo poo, I hate when I miss these. I find I'm always just sifting through golf commentary nowadays. I wish someone would do a twitter account called "NormMinusSports" that just copies and tweets all his non-sports related stuff.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

theradiostillsucks posted:

Weird that he always insists he doesn't drink much and doesn't do any drugs.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah you actually would be hard pressed to find a bigger Norm fan than me and even I don't follow him because it's all sports stuff, maybe a good story every two weeks but like 95% golf or football commentary that I don't understand at all.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Weird that he always insists he doesn't drink much and doesn't do any drugs.

Do americans not do this? Because when I was more of a partier "I don't drink or do drugs" was a pretty common thing for wasted Canadians to say.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Advice posted:

Yeah you actually would be hard pressed to find a bigger Norm fan than me and even I don't follow him because it's all sports stuff, maybe a good story every two weeks but like 95% golf or football commentary that I don't understand at all.

Same, but I follow relatively few people that it's easy to scroll past things I'm sure the announcers have already clued viewers into anyway.

There was even a Tom Arnold response tweet in there about rehab and offering Norm a hug, but mostly offended stoners decrying Norm for lumping their 'medicine' in with drugs. Maybe it blew over.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
A lot of comedians consider Norm as a maniac in life but never went into it. Knowing he's a gambling addict, it wouldn't surprise me he's an addict to other stuff too. One of his best friends for a long time was Artie Lang after all.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

He did look a bit worn out on the podcast a few times.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

toggle posted:

He did look a bit worn out on the podcast a few times.

I was genuinely concerned when I watched the last golf-cast thing, he was super late and when he showed up he looked like such a loving mess. He wasn't making any jokes, he was really serious; kind of a different person. They never put it up after it aired, which doesn't surprise me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't he have an embolism or a stroke or something around the time the podcast started?

RE: drug talk, the thing going around for ages is that he has issues with prescription medication (anti-anxiety meds), not recreational drugs.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Didn't he have an embolism or a stroke or something around the time the podcast started?

RE: drug talk, the thing going around for ages is that he has issues with prescription medication (anti-anxiety meds), not recreational drugs.

He had Xanax on the podcast and gave it to Roseanne, he could very well have found a doctor somewhere that's a bit too prescription happy.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Odddzy posted:

He had Xanax on the podcast and gave it to Roseanne, he could very well have found a doctor somewhere that's a bit too prescription happy.

It was amazing how uninteresting Roseanne became after the Xanax kicked in. A cautionary tale for us all.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
No, that's just Roseanne.

I feel like this is some huge joke on me. Norm is my favorite comic and he's obsessed with this painfully unfunny comedienne from like twenty years ago. I didn't like her show, I've never heard her say anything funny, and she's painfully obsessed with her ex and the drama surrounding him.

I tried desperately to force down some episodes of Last Comic Standing that they judged for, and I swear to gently caress it's like someone's messing with me. Roseanne's contribution for one act is pointing and yelling, "ALTERNATIVE COMICCCCC" while the audience explodes into laughing and applause. Then Norm's insightful commentary is met with silence and light claps.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Advice posted:

No, that's just Roseanne.

I feel like this is some huge joke on me. Norm is my favorite comic and he's obsessed with this painfully unfunny comedienne from like twenty years ago. I didn't like her show, I've never heard her say anything funny, and she's painfully obsessed with her ex and the drama surrounding him.

I tried desperately to force down some episodes of Last Comic Standing that they judged for, and I swear to gently caress it's like someone's messing with me. Roseanne's contribution for one act is pointing and yelling, "ALTERNATIVE COMICCCCC" while the audience explodes into laughing and applause. Then Norm's insightful commentary is met with silence and light claps.

Eh, I enjoyed most of her interview. She's weird as hell.

Her show was pretty revolutionary at the time and so was her stand up persona. I think her best work is behind her but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Norm shooting the poo poo with her.

And Last Comic Standing was just poo poo all around.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

A lot of comedians consider Norm as a maniac in life but never went into it. Knowing he's a gambling addict, it wouldn't surprise me he's an addict to other stuff too. One of his best friends for a long time was Artie Lang after all.

Artie has always sworn up and down he's never seen Norm drink or do any drugs. Only gambling. Who knows though.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, Rosanne's show was revolutionary during its time. It's a comedy that took out the constant jokes so that they could hit harder on the jokes and points they wanted to make while also talking more like real people. The situation of the Conner family was not one that was intrinsically funny. They were poor, fat people living in a lovely house and they made it funny and realistic.

I think the show is just okay now, but it's always nice to see a piece of media that doesn't treat me like an idiot.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Paul Kersey posted:

Artie has always sworn up and down he's never seen Norm drink or do any drugs. Only gambling. Who knows though.

True, but I don't trust Artie.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Norm is loyal to Roseanne because she gave him his first big break in the biz

Also he and Jeselnik were the singular positive aspects of LCS, and they frequently reported on why it was terrible on twitter lol

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Roseanne, the person and the show, were funny. She was a good comedian. No need for a Dane backlash on her. She was legit.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I always thought the stuff about norm being nuts referred to his weird personality, hermit-like tendencies and his gambling issues. He talked about literally trying to lose all his money gambling on WTF. As for drugs I always figured he's benzo'd the gently caress out a lot. On that same WTF he talked about bouts of mania where he can't stop laughing until he pops a Xanax.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Xanax are extremely powerful and addicting drugs. I hope to god he also doesn't drink.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I had a dream last night that I was buddies with Norm Macdonald

:sigh:

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Sounds like he's got a disease. Fortunately it's the best one.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Pat Mustard posted:

Sounds like he's got a disease. Fortunately it's the best one.

You know, a gambling addiction is the only addiction where you can win a bunch of money!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Rosanne owns, she went batshit crazy and got unfunny, but I think that happens to every comic when they go super star prime time comedy. She owned TV for awhile, that much cultural power always seems to make people nutty.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess Norm did actually get around to writing something: http://www.harpercollins.ca/press-r...rs-in-fall-2016

quote:

CELEBRATED CANADIAN COMEDIAN NORM MACDONALD RELEASING MEMOIR, BASED ON A TRUE STORY, TO BE PUBLISHED BY HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS IN FALL 2016

TORONTO – Thursday, December 17, 2015 – HarperCollins Publishers, will release the first memoir by the former Saturday Night Live Weekend Update host and stand-up comedian Norm MacDonald in Fall 2016. On publishing the book, senior editor Kate Cassaday—who acquired the novel from Joseph Veltre of The Gersh Agency—stated, "Norm's is a voice unlike any other, so it's fitting that he's written a brilliant, hilarious memoir unlike anything ever published. Canadian publishing may never be the same after Based on a True Story, and HarperCollins couldn't be prouder to be bringing this book to Norm's legion of passionate fans."

MacDonald will recount the story of his life—more or less—from growing up in rural Ottawa to a disastrous appearance on Star Search, through his many-layered career in entertainment. The trick for the reader will be deciphering which stories are real, and which are made up, by the infamous storyteller.

In a statement, MacDonald said, "I was born in Quebec City, English, where everyone was French. I was raised in rural Ontario, on a farm between Avonmore and Monkland. I ended up in New York City. But then what? I wrote this book to answer a question that has been troubling me for some time. Whatever Happened to Me?"

Norm MacDonald was recently a judge on the 2015 season of Last Comic Standing, and currently appears as Colonel Sanders in KFC ads. He is also the voice of The Hole on the new Canadian comedy show Sunnyside. He hosts the podcast Norm MacDonald Live and has appeared in Dirty Work, which he wrote, and Billy Madison, among many other films.

Based on a True Story will be published in the U.S. by Spiegel & Grau, an imprint of Penguin Random House.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
This is it, the only bio I will purchase on day one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Chapters III - LVI: My favorite golf tournaments

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Chapter LVII: A collection of my best play-by-play tweets

Lemon
May 22, 2003

An old Conan interview that I hadn't seen before has recently been uploaded: