Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

blk96gt posted:

Like NitroSpazzz said that will probably be sufficient, but I would call or email first.

I don't know what the SCCA requirements are, but to get a competition license with NASA you have to complete their HPDE program .... Also, a lot of people don't realize that you can use a street car for comp school., you don't have to have a race prepped car.

drgitlin posted:

In the US there's SCCA and NASA, both of whom will want you to have done the equivalent course with them (including paying several thousand dollars for tuition), which is why there's now a market for grassroots series like ChumpCar and Lemons where there's no licensing and you don't need to drop $5k on a four day course.

What are you guys talking about. You don't have to run any DEs with NASA before taking their comp school. You must do comp school in a race car with a log book. If your region doesn't require that I'm sure NASA national would be unamused. (13.1.1) If you have a SCCA license all you need to do is send NASA a copy of your SCCA license and $90 and you have a NASA license. You can also turn a SCCA rookie license into a NASA provisional license the same way. (14.1.2) No idea what it looks like if you want to turn a NASA license into an SCCA license since I race with NASA. And as blk96gt mentioned, NASA comp school cost me $420. I ran one NASA DE before that just to get a feel for their events before I showed up.

The reason Chump is popular has little to do with licensing. I'm in one of the cheapest classes in NASA and I have $20k sitting on my car. You could build a Chumpcar for less than that and split it 4 ways with some buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

FatCow posted:

What are you guys talking about. You don't have to run any DEs with NASA before taking their comp school. You must do comp school in a race car with a log book. If your region doesn't require that I'm sure NASA national would be unamused. (13.1.1) If you have a SCCA license all you need to do is send NASA a copy of your SCCA license and $90 and you have a NASA license. You can also turn a SCCA rookie license into a NASA provisional license the same way. (14.1.2) No idea what it looks like if you want to turn a NASA license into an SCCA license since I race with NASA. And as blk96gt mentioned, NASA comp school cost me $420. I ran one NASA DE before that just to get a feel for their events before I showed up.

The reason Chump is popular has little to do with licensing. I'm in one of the cheapest classes in NASA and I have $20k sitting on my car. You could build a Chumpcar for less than that and split it 4 ways with some buddies.

I probably should have clarified that I was talking about someone brand new to driving. You can't just show up to a NASA event and start comp school without some sort of previous experience. It clearly states In the CCR that you can transfer a license from other orgs.

No, you do not have to have a race car to participate in comp school, at least in the Texas region. You just won't get your comp license until you get a race car with a log book.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

drgitlin posted:

That's because in the UK all motorsport is organized under the MSA. In the US there's SCCA and NASA, both of whom will want you to have done the equivalent course with them (including paying several thousand dollars for tuition), which is why there's now a market for grassroots series like ChumpCar and Lemons where there's no licensing and you don't need to drop $5k on a four day course.

in new england at least, you can do scca club racing experience which is a day of both school and wheel to wheel and i think its around 350, wont get you a license. they also have weekend comp schools which are around the same but friday and sat, more class but more learning. they do not however guarantee a comp licence, you may need a second class. if you do get a licence you can reg up for the sunday races aswell. the 4 day $$$$$$ schools do result in a license assuming your dangerous.
Assuming i finish my car ill be doing the nhms school in may which will be my first w2w event

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a video that makes an excellent case for getting some instruction on-track rather than make the same elementary mistakes over and over and over again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXVxi-0SxZg

Seriously, Most DE orgs would have had him driving better than that after the first weekend - two if he's a slow learner.

e: They also would have made him fix some of the brutally unsafe equipment deficiencies going on there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Cringeworthy over and over. Looks like 3 different bad drivers?

I still don't understand why so many drivers have a problem holding the steering wheel like a loving caveman, on track or not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
THE SHIFTER GIVES ME MAGICAL DRIVING POWERS

oh god oh god oh god oh god *face full of dust*

I'm fairly certain that the S2000 has toe in all sorts of directions after repeatedly (and violently) spinning out.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
These are the kind of asswipes that scare people away from track days.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You cant even get on the track where I am without the marshall checking your helmet strap is secured.

What a loving moron.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SlapActionJackson posted:

Here's a video that makes an excellent case for getting some instruction on-track rather than make the same elementary mistakes over and over and over again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXVxi-0SxZg

Seriously, Most DE orgs would have had him driving better than that after the first weekend - two if he's a slow learner.

e: They also would have made him fix some of the brutally unsafe equipment deficiencies going on there.

How the gently caress can someone spin out that many times. I've seen some pretty green drivers but usually they aren't dumb enough to overdrive that badly.

I'm jealous of the lack of walls/berms/ditches though. At my local track there's about 2 turns you can do that without doing $$$ damage. FRS driver made the same mistake as him (mid corner oversteer) and backed into a wall. Kinda funny how much a slow looking impact can push a subframe over.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 22, 2016

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I don't understand how on earth he's spinning so much. I mean the driving is awful but that seems excessive.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TrueChaos posted:

I don't understand how on earth he's spinning so much. I mean the driving is awful but that seems excessive.

He's just overdriving every time, his throttle control seems binary. On or off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's more than just one guy in that video. Not sure if that makes it better or worse

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

He's just overdriving every time, his throttle control seems binary. On or off.

Ah, that would make sense. I've only watched a bit of the video without sound.

He's also not countersteering nearly enough to correct the back end.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't think I will ever stop being amazed at how completely unprepared those guys were for the car to slide and their almost non-existent attempts at correction. And a lot of them came on so gradually too.

Can't seem to find that guy in the 911 at cota. That's one of the worst on-track videos I've ever seen.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Don't forget about this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHeKOEN_0sM

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jamal posted:

I don't think I will ever stop being amazed at how completely unprepared those guys were for the car to slide and their almost non-existent attempts at correction. And a lot of them came on so gradually too.

Can't seem to find that guy in the 911 at cota. That's one of the worst on-track videos I've ever seen.

For me at least, the last time I corrected after breaking the rear end loose was a double over correct that ended up in going over some ripple strips sideways and lunching my rear suspension and 2 of my RPF1s. If I had just let it go I probably would have gone off track backwards and not smashed all my poo poo.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
BUTTCHAT AGAIN!

The only airbag in the seat is this little side kidney doohickey. The curtain comes down from the upper edge of the doors. Seems I'm not losing much at all.

Also, there's a good ~3 inches of padding under the leather and suede in the seat bottom. I'm going to hit up a trim shop and see if they can shave it down.

Finally, dicking around in the farm roads I found a sitting position with the helmet that worked for cornering, not just straight lines, but my helmet easily hit the B pillar, where said airbags are.

Would it not be safer to get down, away from all that , in a race seat? Anchoring the belts to the baby seat anchors in the back seat is off the shelf stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy an E46 330i. It'll be cheaper and less of a pain in the rear end than coming up with some bespoke scenario for your CTS-V since you're tall.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

Buy an E46 330i. It'll be cheaper and less of a pain in the rear end than coming up with some bespoke scenario for your CTS-V since you're tall.

M54's are really poor for track duty (but not as bad as the M52B28 in the e46's).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

M54's are really poor for track duty (but not as bad as the M52B28 in the e46's).

Just curious - why's that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Infinotize posted:

Because there are plenty of long blocks and parts available for them and you're not out literally thousands of dollars if you pop a motor.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

Because there are plenty of long blocks and parts available for them and you're not out literally thousands of dollars if you pop a motor.

:laffo: well played

I'ts not a bad suggestion but any e36 would probably be a better option, even if the non-M cars are significantly slower than a 330i.

Infinotize posted:

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7320

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Sucks to be the spec racing series that requires an e46 330i. Which as far as I know hasn't had any problems other than money shifts.

BraveUlysses posted:

I'ts not a bad suggestion but any e36 would probably be a better option, even if the non-M cars are significantly slower than a 330i.

I'm not reading an 11 page thread, what's the problem?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BraveUlysses posted:

You didn't really answer the question.

Like "chronic oiling issues" or "constant money shifting" or "no parts availability" would have worked.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The real e46 drawbacks for track use are these:
-m54 hates sustained high rpm. They require an expensive crank damper to not blow apart the oil pump
-piston oil squirters like to fail
-no cheap LSD option. Either spend $$$ on a diff, or if you're lucky find the entire rear end of an e46 m3
-chassis will tear at the rear subframe mounts if not reinforced

All that can be fixed but by the time you do that you could have bought a well prepped e36. They have their own issues but you can get some seriously cheap cars with all the good stuff installed.

And honestly, Terry fair missed the mark on the e46. The DSP cars are monsters in that class now. M54 with m50 manifold and port matching/good exhaust is putting down 240ish to the wheels. And one crazy fucker just grafted the n54 3-stage manifold to the m50 runners and got it working with megasquirt.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

You didn't really answer the question.

Like "chronic oiling issues" or "constant money shifting" or "no parts availability" would have worked.

Sure I could have said those things but sometimes it's better to show evidence of how modding an m54 is akin to burning a dumpster of money.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BraveUlysses posted:

Sure I could have said those things but sometimes it's better to show evidence of how modding an m54 is akin to burning a dumpster of money.

Track prepping any car is akin to burning a dumpster of money. :ssh:

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Does anyone have a progressive shift light that they like? I've had my eye on one of the Ecliptech Shift-I's (https://ecliptech.com.au/product/shift-i-sgar-non-retail-pack/), but the one I want seems to be out of stock everywhere.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
BMW E30 Track Car For Sale

The car is built to Spec E30 specifications for the 2104 season and has a NASA logbook. Podium finishes

in the GL & MW regions. Email ashercat102 at gmail for more info

$8,000 without wheels and tires

$9,000 with wheels and tires

1991 BMW E30 318i chassis

185,000 miles on chassis, 1 season on engine

Engine:

155hp and 152tq

Engine fully rebuilt for 2015 season

Engine block 0.02” over-bored from Integrity Automotive in Chicago, IL

Fully blueprinted bottom end with new pistons and rings

Top end machined at Werner Machine in Mokena, IL with new valves, seals, cam, and HD rockers

IE engine oil pan baffle and crank scraper

Electric pusher fan, mechanical fan and bracket removed

318i radiator with integrated overflow tank

Condor SE30 solid bushing kit, power steering block off

SE30 suspension kit, new Bilstein and H&R for 2014

SE30 Exhaust

Fully SCCA and NASA compliant roll cage, professionally installed at EFAB in Lake Zurich, IL

Welded sunroof delete

New AFM in 2015

Suspension / drive gear

Z3 short shifter

All SE30 legal stuff (Bilstein Sports, H&R Race springs, Ireland Engineering front and rear sway bars)

Ground Control SE30 camber / caster plates

New wheel bearings all around for 2014

New front control arms and new front sway bar links in 2014

Rebuilt calipers and new rotors in winter 2015

Stainless lines

12 TR Motorsport wheels and 4 BMW OE 15” basket-weaves (kept in heated garage 10 RRs, 1 new set FT

RA1s)

Motorsport hardware studs and nuts

Interior / safety

Corbeau driver and passenger seat with driver back-brace

Passenger seat (easily removable or use as ballast holder)

Camlock 6 point harnesses (driver side new 2016)

G Force center net

Momo steering wheel

Spares:

Complete i head with extra HD and normal rocker arms

Extra transmission

OEM piston and rings

Some body extra body parts like fenders, trim, bumper, and hood

Components for brake ducting

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's the verdict on advan ad08 tires? I can score a set of 205/50/15 for 436 shipped. Any good in the rain? I have almost killed off my kumho xs

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
AD08 or AD08Rs?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

AD08 or AD08Rs?

R

Discount tire direct is having a president's day sale

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Anyone have a recommendation for good racing insurance? After the WRL COTA race where a dude got burned and had to be airlifted out of the track it seems like a prudent idea.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Ambulance/LifeFlight is pretty reasonable an will help cover that helicopter ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Check the CA crash thread, a goon got life flighted at a trackday last month and it cost $60k just for the flight.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
I have been a CalStar member since I started racing. It's $45/yr and they will cover any helicopter or fixed-wing medical flight costs. At that price, it's insane NOT to have if you regularly engage in dangerous activities far away from a major trauma center.

https://www.calstar.org

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
drat. That's actually not bad. If I have my way and do one TT/HPDE a month I may do this.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Savington posted:

I have been a CalStar member since I started racing. It's $45/yr and they will cover any helicopter or fixed-wing medical flight costs. At that price, it's insane NOT to have if you regularly engage in dangerous activities far away from a major trauma center.
https://www.calstar.org

poo poo that's really good. Is there anything similar that's more nationwide? I've looked into different programs but doing track days and racing in several states makes it kind of tricky.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo that's really good. Is there anything similar that's more nationwide? I've looked into different programs but doing track days and racing in several states makes it kind of tricky.

Yeah they don't seem to cover the region we race in.

I've found a couple of racing insurance places, will get some quotes and report back in here in case anyone else is also looking for coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Anyone have an opinion on the next (or same) tire i should move to?

short story, im going on my 4th year of hpde's and casual tt's with a local group that travels all over new england. I did the first two years on direzza's, last year on nt01's which have some life left in them but wont last all year so I have to buy something. Class wise sky's the limit, I only have to maintain power to weight now. Ive toyed with buying another set of wheels and some imsa or similar scrubs if i can find 275 in 17's, i dont think a second set of wheels and new tires is in the budget.

Car is a 2005 subaru that weighs 3050-3100 with me in it depending on fuel. Im looking at 20 track days this year, something that would last most of that would be ideal, but I know thats pushing it