Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Every time there is a HoI4 dev diary about something other than actually moving your armies around and fighting I get super excited, then I remember that it's a WW2 game and therefore a large portion of the map is going to be permanently at war for most of the game. Why did EvW have to be so bad :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You know it's kind of amazing how into HoI4 I was before Stellaris got announced, and now I just can't bother caring at all when HoI4 dev diaries come out. I just want to read about Stellaris! That is definitely a day1 purchase for me.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DrSunshine posted:

You know it's kind of amazing how into HoI4 I was before Stellaris got announced, and now I just can't bother caring at all when HoI4 dev diaries come out. I just want to read about Stellaris! That is definitely a day1 purchase for me.

Same. It's just more exciting to be space Hitler.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Uh, I'm still really looking forward to both - Stellaris because I could really use a good 4X game and HOI4 because I find 20th century history really interesting. But I'm actually far more interested in the nation-building and technology aspects of the games because I just love building poo poo and watching it work.

After FDR is finished spreading Justice and Liberty to all the peoples of earth we're going to spread it to the stars. Through the barrel of a gun.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

After FDR is finished spreading Justice and Liberty to all the peoples of earth we're going to spread it to the stars. Through the barrel of a gun.

If I weren't at work, I'd photoshop FDR into Pike's SPACE wheelchair.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
This should suffice:

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I just wish that they would release one of them. I have finally played EUIV and CK2 to the point where I have to take a break and I need something new to fill my paradox obsession.

I do have to say that I am super impressed about how involved with the community they are as devs though.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It's funny, before Stellaris I wasn't too psyched about HoI4, now I just want it to come out.

Could care less about Stellaris.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only good Roosevelt is Theodore. :colbert:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Riso posted:

The only good Roosevelt is Theodore. :colbert:

Looking forward to your Bull Moose Empire lp for Stellaris .

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Entire planets as national parks.

He'll never run out of things to hunt or rough terrain to drag foreign ambassadors through!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I hate to break up this scintillating discussion but today's World War Wednesday video is below if you've not yet seen it:

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/35210959

This week has someone who seems to know what they're doing, a functional AI and a number of adjustments from what we've seen before. Notably, the role of Adolf Hitler has been reprised by a department store mannequin.

Still really looking forward to this game. And Stellaris. Stop blue-balling us please.

Germany really should have the option to just declare war on Poland anyway regardless of whether Poland folds to their territorial demands or not. That was pretty much the real life case, the German ultimatum was one pretty much designed to be impossible for the Poles to accept, especially when it came to deadline (it was announced to the German Reichstag and communicated to the British in the evening and expired the same midnight, the Polish government had to obtain a translation by way of the British) and who the Germans were willing to accept as negotiators (they rejected the authority of the Polish ambassador in Berlin to do so after he signalled that Poland was ready to negotiate after the deadline expired).

Hitler wanted war, the ultimatum and territorial demands were just means to obtain an excuse. In fact it bears some similarites to the Austro-Hungarians' approach towards Serbia at the start of World War I.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 16, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Giggle Goose posted:

I just wish that they would release one of them. I have finally played EUIV and CK2 to the point where I have to take a break and I need something new to fill my paradox obsession.

I do have to say that I am super impressed about how involved with the community they are as devs though.

Are you this sick of EU4?

I always play Iron Man and several hundred hours into the game I have about 20 achievements. :negative:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

Germany really should have the option to just declare war on Poland anyway regardless of whether Poland folds to their territorial demands or not. That was pretty much the real life case, the German ultimatum was one pretty much designed to be impossible for the Poles to accept, especially when it came to deadline (it was announced to the German Reichstag and communicated to the British in the evening and expired the same midnight, the Polish government had to obtain a translation by way of the British) and who the Germans were willing to accept as negotiators (they rejected the authority of the Polish ambassador in Berlin to do so after he signalled that Poland was ready to negotiate after the deadline expired).

Hitler wanted war, the ultimatum and territorial demands were just means to obtain an excuse. In fact it bears some similarites to the Austro-Hungarians' approach towards Serbia at the start of World War I.

My readings gave me the impression that Hitler, endless gambler that he was, assumed from his own sense of destiny/previous experiences with the Sudetenland and Czechoslovakia that France and England would fold like cheap deck chairs and he would get another wad of free territory. He wanted war, but he didn't expect it just that moment.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fuligin posted:

My readings gave me the impression that Hitler, endless gambler that he was, assumed from his own sense of destiny/previous experiences with the Sudetenland and Czechoslovakia that France and England would fold like cheap deck chairs and he would get another wad of free territory. He wanted war, but he didn't expect it just that moment.

To a certain extent, the Phony War proved him right.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PleasingFungus posted:

While I'd need to start going through history books, I seem to recall that a number of the Nazi higher ups idolized the British royal family and aristocracy and Hitler himself had hoped to build an alliance with the UK. He really didn't expect them to freak out and side with France and Poland right off the bat.

V for Vegas posted:

I always play Iron Man and several hundred hours into the game I have about 20 achievements. :negative:

Jesus Christ man - I think HOI3 is the most played game I have in Steam and it comes nowhere near that.

Pictured in the background is Japan trying to storm Guam with cavalry. Probably because they've run out of everything else. My favourite tactic as the USA is to turn Guam into a floating concrete block of land and coastal forts and maxing it's airfields, docks and infrastructure and stationing about 60K-80K troops. It makes the island impenetrable and the Japan AI has no idea how to deal with it, completely stalling their advance while they bash their head against a concrete wall.

This buys me enough time to build several more fleets so I can take on Japan's endless supply of CVs and BBs (I'm pretty sure they cheat because they've had several ships with the same name on more than on occasion).

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 18, 2016

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Way to make me feel bad, and some of them were even done using blatant exploits :(

What I'd really like to have in EU4 are more achievement chains, Start as Nation in Culture group X, form Z, control region Y etc, so you can slowly build up as your game progresses. And of course some silly achievements like becoming HRE as Orthodox/Catholic Ottomans and other really absurd things.

Yes I need achievements, it's why I bought Gemcraft (2$ sale for 420 achievements, 0.05$ per achievement!).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

To a certain extent, the western allies were correct to reason that if they stood on the defensive and marked time using their massive GDP advantage to rearm, then the German economy would overheat and collapse and hilter would have to give Poland back.

What they didn't grasp was just how doctrinally hosed the French army was, nor that the Germans would throw everything into a ridiculously risky plan that relied on the allies panicking and doing everything wrong (which they did).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

While I'd need to start going through history books, I seem to recall that a number of the Nazi higher ups idolized the British royal family and aristocracy and Hitler himself had hoped to build an alliance with the UK. He really didn't expect them to freak out and side with France and Poland right off the bat.

I think I've heard that said before but never seen anything to actually back it up. The closest thing I've seen to this is the belief that the Western Allies weren't Germany's ultimate enemies in the same way the Soviets were and that they would use this to reach a negotiated settlement. But really there is nothing Germany could offer Britain as an ally in their war as far as I can see. And the appeal of some anti-Communist crusade to support Germany carving out a colonial empire in the East would ring as hollow as it did in real life as even Churchill and other avowed anti-Communists saw Nazism as the greater threat, a threat great enough to ally and provide substantial material and military aid to those very same communists.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

New Stellaris dev diary on the ship designer.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
So it looks like we'll be able to use different types of FTL on our ships so long as they're in different fleets. Wasn't it originally one FTL type per empire?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh, good, the standard maximization problem that will be solved by a nerd with a spreadsheet a month after release and a week after any balance patches following.

Chief Savage Man posted:

So it looks like we'll be able to use different types of FTL on our ships so long as they're in different fleets. Wasn't it originally one FTL type per empire?
At the very least they already mentioned something about tech sharing between members in a federation, so it might be wasteful to pursue solo, but something that inevitably happens in a federation.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you for continuing to share these here, I never remember to look them up.

I am even farther off the hype train after reading this. Still need more details because it was kinda vague and may not be as bad as I am perceiving it to be but, eh.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

For a second it sounded similar to SMAC's design system but then it got... much more complicated. Which is a shame because I always felt like SMAC had a great balance.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Oh wow that's even more in depth than I expected. They went almost Sword of the Stars 1 level deep on it, that is impressive. Combat is a big part of these games so there need to be ways to specialize your units and have the different armies fight rather differently.

Looks very promising to me.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Paradox posted:

Some sections also have a hangar slot, but more on those in a later dev diary...

Fighter swarms confirmed. :dance:

After the diary touched on the AI ship upgrade algorithm, I wonder what the chances are of getting into a Forever War type situation with an enemy would be. You send out a ship with advanced missiles, blow them up easily. Next encounter they send out a ship with your reverse-engineered and upgraded missiles, plus a powerful point defense system, blow you up easily. Then you build something with Gamma beams...

Or basically this until the whole galaxy is a smoky ruin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just hope all the very detailed ship design stuff has an impact on combat in a meaningful and obvious way. I don't want HoI in space where 90% of the options are there to just make history spergs happy but aren't really meaningful gameplay options.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Paradox posted:

This week we will talk about the Ship Designer. Last week we said that this week would be about “War, Peace, Influence and Claims”, but due to some really good (and secret) reasons we have decided to postpone that Dev Diary for a later date.
Paradox cutting down massively on diplomacy in favor of the ship designer confirmed.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ship design looks almost as fun and exciting as last week's World War Wednesday.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Chief Savage Man posted:

You start with one FTL and it's pretty tricky to get another, but it's always been possible. It's more relevant if you find a ship or, yeah, for federations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I personally don't like assymetric FTL types: removes alot of your ability to force a decisive battle by limiting options. If the enemy fleet can jump anywhere in X range of their nearest planet, you can't really defend stuff in X range well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nothing to seehere posted:

I personally don't like assymetric FTL types: removes alot of your ability to force a decisive battle by limiting options. If the enemy fleet can jump anywhere in X range of their nearest planet, you can't really defend stuff in X range well.

Might work out cool, the asymmetric FTL types may naturally lead to asymmetric defense types. Or it might be really lovely and a popular mod will let you change the game to use only 1 mode.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

nothing to seehere posted:

Don't you remember your Battle School? There is no defense in space, there is only attack.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

popewiles posted:

Don't you remember your Battle School? There is no defense in space, there is only attack.

In which case wars devolve to blobbing all your ships into the biggest stack you can, and charging their homeworld. Boooooring.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wars need to be won on the ground so I can see the dynamic being a lot like EU4 land campaigns where early fights are whole hosts trying to force a decisive victory to open up the way for force superiority to have free reign to siege and mop up remnants. Its just some armies can cross rivers or ignore forts and some need to go around or blast through.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
This DD was really losing me until "For those of you who really don’t like to fiddle around with designing your own ships (and we know that you are legion), we have the option to auto-generate new ship designs whenever you research a new technology with something that the game thinks you should use on your ships. This algorithm is very close to what the AI will use."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kersch posted:

This DD was really losing me until "For those of you who really don’t like to fiddle around with designing your own ships (and we know that you are legion), we have the option to auto-generate new ship designs whenever you research a new technology with something that the game thinks you should use on your ships. This algorithm is very close to what the AI will use."
I'm a bit confused by it being "very close to what the AI will use" though. Wouldn't you want it to figure out the optimal loadout in both cases, which would imply the same algorithm? Or is the AI programmed to not go for certain features because it hasn't been programmed to understand them? (In EU4 terms, not taking upgrades which reduce attrition because the AI is immune basically.)

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Someone on the forum will just make a nice spreadsheet if the auto-designer turns out to not work. I never understood why people want to be able to design such minutiae on their ships. It is a grand strategic game where you control entire star systems, its not a tactical space-fleet "simulation" game, nor does it even contain a token game mode for that (like a reverse Total War). Some of these Stellaris DDs blow me away, and others make me not want to touch it at all, fearing infection from the space 4x plague that has killed off so many games.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I fully expect that ship design will be reduced to a few simple rules of thumb once people start seriously trying to break it, but we'll see. I'll count it as a win as long as an all-destroyer fleet with fighter bays in every slot (for example) doesn't completely crush the AI/auto designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

V for Vegas posted:

Oh, are we comparing playtimes again?

It's cheating, since CK2 has been out longer than EU4, but still. I think I have a problem.