Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Words of Radiance second half is so good in its sandersonian glory that I haven't been able to enjoy any other works of his (or actually almost any other epic fantasy apart from couple of grimdarks and Pratchetts here and there) since.. Impatiently waiting for SA3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Wax and Steris are adorable :3:
Agreed. I kind of like the fact they are becoming friends. Gives hope for their marriage, when it finally happens. I just hope we're not getting set up for her to be "refrigeratored".

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
When does the next book come out?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RC Cola posted:

When does the next book come out?

26th I believe. At least in the US.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

flosofl posted:

26th I believe. At least in the US.

Of this month? What a pleasant surprise. Wasn't expecting anything for a while.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Odette posted:

Sanderson yo. That dude is a machine.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

mallamp posted:

Words of Radiance second half is so good in its sandersonian glory that I haven't been able to enjoy any other works of his (or actually almost any other epic fantasy apart from couple of grimdarks and Pratchetts here and there) since.. Impatiently waiting for SA3.

I just finished N K Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" and parts of that reminded me of the Stormlight Archives - a world ravaged by natural disasters (in this case earthquakes, not highstorms) and weird ancient artifacts that are somehow linked to it all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

You don't know the half of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Odette posted:

And the 3rd Reckoners Calamity is coming out Feb 16.

Rygar201 posted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The non-spoiler review for Bands of Mourning is out. http://www.tor.com/2016/01/19/brandon-sanderson-the-bands-of-mourning-non-spoiler-review/

Of course it's a Tor.com writer judging a book by a Tor Books author, so it's hardly objective. That said, I find this bit to be great news:

quote:

Cosmere Implications

Sanderson has always said that at a certain point, all of the background Cosmere workings were going to start bleeding into the foreground of the novels. And while I don’t think we’ve made that jump fully, the bleed has begun here in The Bands of Mourning. If you’re new to Sanderson’s work, it’s just going to be one more thing you need to figure out and research, making it difficult to ease into his newer works. However, if you’ve been following Sanderson and the Cosmere from the beginning, holy Allomantic Jak, will you love this book. Sanderson begins to address the Cosmere in a large way, revealing information, characters, and raising questions, but never at the expense of the plot. You can tell he’s finally ready to start telling the reader things, and given the way he goes about it, he seems incredibly excited. There’s not much more I can say without spoilers, except keep your eyes peeled, and let the theories begin!

Cosmere stuff! We already had a noticeable amount of it in Words of Radiance, I'm pumped for even more of it in Bands of Mourning.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Words of Radiance certainly did pick up in the second half and built to a very exciting finish! I had to stay up until a bit past midnight to finish. I still think the first half needed an editor, but great book. I look forward to getting to join in the excitement as book 3 nears

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sanderson just gave a full nospoiler oathbringer outline on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/41r099/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_2/

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 20, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Okay he really is insane

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I broke down and read the other Bands of Mourning preview chapters. Ugh, Spook. I was already uncomfortable with his casual attitude regarding the use of hemalurgy, but espousing ideology that would feel right at home with fantasy nazis is not something I wanted Spook to do.

Also, for those who are interested, here are some Words of Brandon about Spook after the end of the original Mistborn trilogy, which might actually be relevant to the Wax and Wayne stories:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

QUESTION: Just wondering, are you ever going to go back and write about The Further Adventures of Lestibournes? I think his character is pivotal to the Mistborn trilogy and felt cheated that the trilogy mostly focused on Vin, Kel, Sazed, and Elend. I would like to know more of his backstory and how he became the stud that he is.

BRANDON SANDERSON:
He became quite the 'stud' in the years following the first trilogy. I might be persuaded to show some of this at some point. He also knew many things he really should not have.

QUESTION:You've mentioned Spook being a bit of a 'stud' before, because I get oddly curious about this, how many children did he have?

A pretty weird question I know, but he does have a LOT of descendants.

and I love your writing and books so much, glad you're a non human writing machine :D

BRANDON SANDERSON
Spook has a lot of descendants, it's true. He had over a dozen children.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Depends on how you think of it - there's an argument to be made that hemalurgy is essentially equivalent to being an organ donor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

Depends on how you think of it - there's an argument to be made that hemalurgy is essentially equivalent to being an organ donor.

But hemalurgy requires the donors to be alive, and kills them in the process.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

But hemalurgy requires the donors to be alive, and kills them in the process.

I imagine a lot depends on how 'alive' you need to be. And what happens if you just insert the spike while the guy is alive, but don't rip it out until after they've passed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oh hell yes, we're going to see more of Eshonai, which makes sense because the idea a Stormform wearing Shardplate couldn't survive falling in to a chasm is absurd. :dance:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh hell yes, we're going to see more of Eshonai, which makes sense because the idea a Stormform wearing Shardplate couldn't survive falling in to a chasm is absurd. :dance:

That's not guaranteed, these tertiary characters could be anyone.

But you are right, there's no chance that Eshonai could be dead. Wasn't she supposed to get her own book even?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

That's not guaranteed, these tertiary characters could be anyone.

But you are right, there's no chance that Eshonai could be dead. Wasn't she supposed to get her own book even?

Sanderson's post lists here as one of the POV character, along with people like Adolin, so she's definitely not dead ("You will see a moderate amount of Szeth, Eshonai, Jasnah, Adolin, and Navani."). Having her get as much focus as she did, with the whole "last Parshendi shardbearer" thing as well is too much of a setup for her to be a major force for the voidbringers to have her killed off so quickly. She's either going to be the "champion" for Odium, or she'll be some key part in breaking the stormform's hold on the Parshendi.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aaaaaaa so many spoilers

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mewse posted:

Aaaaaaa so many spoilers

This will get much worse once the book it out ;)

Just finish reading Bands of Mourning when it comes out before you come in here, there was that one inconsiderate poster that didn't spoiler tag the big reveal in the last chapter of Shadows of Self before it was out even a week. I pity everybody who saw that before finishing the book.

mewse
May 2, 2006

January 26th ugghh

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Torrannor posted:

This will get much worse once the book it out ;)

Just finish reading Bands of Mourning when it comes out before you come in here, there was that one inconsiderate poster that didn't spoiler tag the big reveal in the last chapter of Shadows of Self before it was out even a week. I pity everybody who saw that before finishing the book.

I remember that. I was mad and I wasn't spoiled

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sanderson's post lists here as one of the POV character, along with people like Adolin, so she's definitely not dead ("You will see a moderate amount of Szeth, Eshonai, Jasnah, Adolin, and Navani."). Having her get as much focus as she did, with the whole "last Parshendi shardbearer" thing as well is too much of a setup for her to be a major force for the voidbringers to have her killed off so quickly. She's either going to be the "champion" for Odium, or she'll be some key part in breaking the stormform's hold on the Parshendi.

Note that Sanderson has said that POV characters can be in the form of flashbacks from someone who died in a previous book.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I imagine a lot depends on how 'alive' you need to be. And what happens if you just insert the spike while the guy is alive, but don't rip it out until after they've passed.

Mostly just talking about hemalurgy in future mistborn books now, so I'll forgo spoiler tags:

Really, if one of the Mistborn books doesn't feature an old money type family that passes on their powers to the next generation using hemalurgy I'll be extremely disappointed. It's such an obvious use of the power that Sanderson has to have considered it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

senae posted:

Mostly just talking about hemalurgy in future mistborn books now, so I'll forgo spoiler tags:

Really, if one of the Mistborn books doesn't feature an old money type family that passes on their powers to the next generation using hemalurgy I'll be extremely disappointed. It's such an obvious use of the power that Sanderson has to have considered it.

Most old money types would be using it to try and extend their own lives though, not end their lives for someone else's benefit.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Most old money types would be using it to try and extend their own lives though, not end their lives for someone else's benefit.

I can see both iterations, maybe even contrasted against each other.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That was one of my big issues with Warbreaker. There's just no reason that everyone shouldn't be walking around with their ancestors' Breaths. All it would take is some mention of dying without your Breath being religously ominous, but it never comes up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

That was one of my big issues with Warbreaker. There's just no reason that everyone shouldn't be walking around with their ancestors' Breaths. All it would take is some mention of dying without your Breath being religously ominous, but it never comes up.

A Breath is worth around the food cost for a peasant family for a year. Except not all of them are equal - the Breaths of children are noticeably better than the Breaths of old people.

I suspect they're more likely to sell the Breath and divide the money between their children, if they're going to turn it into an inheritance.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Even assuming a stable population - that is, two children for every couple - that's only 20-25 Breaths available per person assuming its been 400-500 years since people figured out the magic (the book is somewhat vague on that point IIRC). Considering the population is growing, there'd be even more living people to divide those ancestral Breaths among.

Add to that:

* People dying without a chance to give Breaths away
* Breaths 'trapped' in awakened items that the owner has lost (or died before recovering)
* 1 Breath lost per week to each Returned god
* 2 Breaths lost per week to the God King
* 1 Breath lost for every lifeless created

Add the fact that having more Breath is immensely valuable and it's hardly surprising that they tend to get collected and hoarded by the rich and powerful and the vast majority of the populace has one or zero.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 24, 2016

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

:eyepop:

Now I want to see the version where he links all his Cosmere books...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

January 26th ugghh

February 9th :getin:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
What the loving gently caress BranSan, ninja novella after you accidentally wrote two books of an unplanned trilogy and published them within a few months of each other? He's not human :psyduck:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Jesus christ, man, can you stop accidentally writing entire books?

One minute he walks near his computer, the next it's suddenly six hours later, the kids are hungry, and his inbox has an email from his publisher saying the manuscript was received and by the way can you please slow down so we can catch up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He's a machine. Incredible.

Per reddit, supposedly from Bands of Mourning:

quote:

To tide you over until Oathbringer, I have just released a special digital-only novella that is intended to be read after The Bands of Mourning, though it takes place during the events of the original Mistborn Trilogy. Ten years in the making, Mistborn: Secret History might answer a few of your questions. There's always another secret.

Contains spoilers for Bands of Mourning, which shouldn't matter since it comes out two weeks later.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
What the ever-loving gently caress sanderson? I didn't even know about that novella until I hit the link (and then involuntarily clicked the 1-click-order button). This outta be good. Also, how the hell does he accidentally write entire books?

From the previous page, I have to echo the sentiments that the Final Empire trilogy was a good story plotting but weaker on the pacing/characterization. Though from personal experience the best results are had when you binge all three books and then spend a week in a propofol-induced stupor. Probably not advisable for the casual reader though...

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
This is hands down why Sanderson is my favorite author. I love his poo poo and he writes so goddamn fast.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

He could slow down a bit, the new Mistborn books aren't that great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Speak for yourself, I thought they were excellent.