Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It might not have anything to do with flash, the tab crashes if there is any gifv/webm/gif embedded.

e; okay gently caress if I know, could be anything.

e; e; figured it out, it was one of the registry tweaks to enable e10s. reverting those stopped the crashes.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

i haven't checked this thread in over a year, so apologies if this has already been discussed:

IF ANYONE HAS NOTICED THAT YOUTUBE SUCKS IN FIREFOX LATELY

i just spent an hour finding the fix, so before you go blowing away your whole profile:

Youtube's Subscriptions sidebar is the culprit for the freezing & slow loading (seems to mostly affect people with lots of subscriptions, in Firefox versions since around autumn last year).

Go to the main youtube page (just https://www.youtube.com), open the sidebar, and use uBlock to select the entire Subscriptions element as shown:

then click it to create a filter. The filter rule should appear in uBlock as follows (or you can just copy and paste this into your filter list directly if you'd prefer to do it that way):
code:
! 1/18/2016, 12:21:51 PM [url]https://www.youtube.com/[/url]
[url]www.youtube.com###guide-subscriptions-section[/url]
After the filter is applied, the laggy Subscriptions part of the sidebar will no longer load, and youtube videos will no longer cause your tab to hang for 5-15 seconds after loading. HOPE THIS HELPS

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Not a problem I have with my apparently 51 subscriptions.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

it appears that i have accrued over 300, so if you're a dope like me, try this one weird trick

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 18, 2016

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

The Milkman posted:

privacy.trackingprotection.enabled true enables tracking protection globally, nice feature too!

One thing to note, if you turn this on it will break images embedded from twitter's image host(http://pbs.twimg.com). I had this on for a while and I was wondering why people were making blank posts in various threads until I realized that tracking protection was stopping the images from loading. I couldn't find any way to customize what tracking protection blocked, so I ended up turning it off for regular browsing.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

pairofdimes posted:

One thing to note, if you turn this on it will break images embedded from twitter's image host(http://pbs.twimg.com). I had this on for a while and I was wondering why people were making blank posts in various threads until I realized that tracking protection was stopping the images from loading. I couldn't find any way to customize what tracking protection blocked, so I ended up turning it off for regular browsing.

You can choose to disable it for SA only from the shield icon on top when it's turned on.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

pokecapn posted:

Edit the grease monkey script you're using to point to 'forums2.css' instead of 'forums.css'. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that changed this month

Oh hell yes. Thank you! I was wondering why one of my Stylish stylesheets broke.

[Edit] Today it broke again. Switched back to forums.css and that fixed it. Wonder if they reverted?

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 19, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason uBlock Origin started breaking syncing for Google Keep today. Does anyone know what might have broken that? I don't think I changed anything from the default subscription lists.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

hooah posted:

For some reason uBlock Origin started breaking syncing for Google Keep today. Does anyone know what might have broken that? I don't think I changed anything from the default subscription lists.

I just went and enabled google.com and I think gstatic.com, and everything went back to normal. Or at least I think that's what I did. I have only a vague idea of what that thing in the uBlock popup does.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
How does uBlock Origin whitelisting work? I can't see Project Wonderful ads for the life of me.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
On the pull-out menu, click the logger (the table looking icon next to the dropper) and refresh the page. You can click the blocked links/elements and it will tell you which list is causing it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't see the images in this post ever. I've tried disabling SALR, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, uMatrix, and HTTPS Everywhere, and nothing makes a difference. I tried a new profile, and I could see the images fine, both read and unread. What else can I try for troubleshooting?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

I can't see the images in this post ever. I've tried disabling SALR, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, uMatrix, and HTTPS Everywhere, and nothing makes a difference. I tried a new profile, and I could see the images fine, both read and unread. What else can I try for troubleshooting?
The twitter image host is blocked by Firefox Tracking Protection, you'll have to disable it for SA. There should be a tiny shield left of the url field. Click it.

If there isn't, maybe one of your addons is subscribed to the tracker blocking list Disconnect uses, which is the same list Firefox Tracking Protection uses.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Click the little shield in the location bar, disable tracking protection for this site.
e:f;b

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Do you have privacy.trackingprotection.enabled set to true in about:config? Pairofdimes commented on that kind of issue with twitter's image host earlier on this page.

Edit: Goddamn, it's a regular paddywhack machine in here today.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, good to see there's a consensus! Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I only seem to have issues when pages like this load up. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712602&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 The Resident Evil Revelations 2 LP.

2.5 million in Task Manager and it never recovers, but other threads with so many images eventually recover.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Scalding Coffee posted:

I only seem to have issues when pages like this load up. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712602&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 The Resident Evil Revelations 2 LP.

2.5 million in Task Manager and it never recovers, but other threads with so many images eventually recover.

2.5 million ...what?

BTW, the disable tracking thing worked like a charm.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The memory usage in Task Manager.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Scalding Coffee posted:

The memory usage in Task Manager.

You're getting mad about 2.5 megabytes?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

fishmech posted:

You're getting mad about 2.5 megabytes?

Memory is listed in KB, so I assume it's 2.5 GB.

This is your punishment for reading Let's Plays.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Scalding Coffee posted:

Because those aren't images, they're embedded html5 videos firefox starts looping automatically. The only problem is that someone thought putting that many on the same page was a good idea in the first place.

EDIT: There's an about :config option to turn off autoplay but then you'll have to right click -> show controls on any embedded videos you do want to see. Pick your poison I guess.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 25, 2016

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just a heads up: Firefox 44 is on the horizon, and it blocks unsigned addons.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jeeves posted:

Just a heads up: Firefox 44 is on the horizon, and it blocks unsigned addons.

No need to panic; it actually slipped to version 46. :)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

And if you need unsigned add-ons for a while, you can switch to the ESR build of Firefox 45 when it comes out, which will give you another year until it updates to 52.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This here blog post says the preference to get around the signing will still be around for another 3~ months until FF 36.

Literally beaten by 10 minutes WTF.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Avenging Dentist posted:

And if you need unsigned add-ons for a while, you can switch to the ESR build of Firefox 45 when it comes out, which will give you another year until it updates to 52.

Are the ESR builds not updated for 6 months?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are the ESR builds not updated for 6 months?

ESR builds get bugfixes regularly, but only get new features every 42 weeks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Avenging Dentist posted:

ESR builds get bugfixes regularly, but only get new features every 42 weeks.

Oh I thought they got security fixes for 6 months before being EOLd.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I thought they got security fixes for 6 months before being EOLd.

No, they get security/bug fixes until the next ESR version is released, and then for a month or two after that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We use ESR at work. Each ESR version is supported for security patches and maybe severe bugs for a full year after release, but then there's a new ESR version released every nine months, so there's a three-month overlap to give everyone time to upgrade.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So I'm still getting this weird bug in Firefox where, after it's been open for a few hours and I open a thread with images in it, none of the the text in the posts will load unless I mouseover an animated avatar.

I finally managed to capture it with gooncam:

Annoying as hell in some threads where no-one has an animated avatar. Even the stupid newbie avatar is unanimated now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know exactly what's going on but it likely has to do with the custom web font we use here.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You probably noticed that the font is falling back to some other font when you do that. (I'd bet it's browser default and you can check by changing the default sans-serif font in Preferences/Content.)

It might be an asset loading error or scripting error; without seeing what your page rendering log looks like when it happens no one can tell. (Also Firefox has had graphical glitches with Windows Intel drivers lately for some reason.)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If it is a font issue, do you perhaps have uBlock installed? There is an option in uBlock to block remote fonts.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Every time there is chat about Firefox ESR. I always read it as "Eric S Raymond", then shudder at the idea of Firefox with his mug plastered all over the toolbar/fursona, and wonder what the hell kind of built-in plugins it might have to modify OkCupid etc.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. Firefox 44.0 seems not to like being called by external programs. I've crashed it by clicking a toaster notification of new mail from gmail, and using the /wiki command in Guild Wars 2.

Of course it doesn't happen every time, and it comes back up nice and quick, so I'll just have to hope someone more familiar with the software comes across the same thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nalin posted:

If it is a font issue, do you perhaps have uBlock installed? There is an option in uBlock to block remote fonts.

Okay, I clicked the font button and now it's crossed out. Does that mean I'm now blocking remote fonts or have I stopped blocking remote fonts?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You probably noticed that the font is falling back to some other font when you do that. (I'd bet it's browser default and you can check by changing the default sans-serif font in Preferences/Content.)

Well, I've changed it to comic sans so I'll know for goddamn sure when it happens if its falling back to the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay, I clicked the font button and now it's crossed out. Does that mean I'm now blocking remote fonts or have I stopped blocking remote fonts?
If it has the red X over it, that means it is blocking fonts. It is possible uBlock isn't causing the problem. I just mentioned it because uBlock filters can sometimes cause issues, and because blocking remote fonts is one of the features of it. I personally don't have uBlock enabled for SA so I am not sure it is the problem.