Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's been awhile, how many tries did it take T40's to get through this one.

Because if memory serves it was A LOT.

In the entire game they only died against Seymour Flux and Yunalesca.

They made a good accounting of themselves here, unlike...well every other game I've seen them LP. Their strategy in X-2 still hurts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DFlux posted:

It took the T40s two tries to beat Yunalesca. They would have gotten it in one but Bandunk told Kuvo to switch in the other characters for xp and promptly got dunked for it.

gently caress Bandunk.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

DFlux posted:

It took the T40s two tries to beat Yunalesca. They would have gotten it in one but Bandunk told Kuvo to switch in the other characters for xp and promptly got dunked for it.

Wow, I thought it took way longer. Maybe it was the way the episodes were structured or something?

I need to rewatch those videos sometime but I'm already watching another FFX lp along with this one and 3 seems a little Xtreme.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
I'm 100% ashamed to admit, this upcoming boss was the reason I used a Gameshark for this game my first time playing. I don't remember exactly how many deaths it was, but it was enough. I have since beaten this game without cheating. But this is honestly my only "gently caress THIS" boss in this game.

That's not to say the previous Seymour fight didn't give me problems, but he was easier to deal with for me.

Angrboda
May 31, 2005

I like how Yuna's line about how she plans to defeat Sin because she loves her father Braska juxtaposes with how Yunalesca presumably keeps the Sin cycle going because she loves her father Yu Yevon.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This part is a large part why i think so many Summoners fail; they get to Yunalesca, have the same "NO, gently caress YOUR FALSE HOPE!" reaction we do, but since they aren't The Protagonists they just get wasted for their rebellion.

It also establishes my beef with RPG churches :v: "Oh, that whole thing about Sin going away if you repent enough? Yeah, it was bullshit, he's never going away. Now get over here and help me perpetuate the cycle, thanks"

Final Fantasy X dials with up to eleven when it comes to RPG Churches. There is no absolution for going on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. The Crusade against the desert dwelling heathens is a sham. Sin (Gog and Ma Gog/The Black Death or what have you) is a tool to control the masses into believing their lack of faith is the cause for their misery. But I can't hate them since they have a cool danse macabre theme going on.

Regalingualius posted:

Who the gently caress decided that screen flickering effect that starts up near the end of that cutscene was a good idea?

Yoshinori Kitase was channeling his inner Tony Scott.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Somewhere, someone is spinning in their graves fast enough to provide a poo poo load of energy due to Rebecca's costumes (or at the very least, the cheer leader one). Oddly, I can see myself playing in Billy's costume for laughs.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I've gotten to the end of this game twice, once at release and once last year on PS3. I don't remember having a hard time with this boss, but the last boss of the game hosed me both times.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So at this point, given all the cutscenes, we have (I'm not sure if it's elaborated more later) we as players realise something that can be pretty important.

This entire pilgrimage and sequence of events (besides Seymour's involvement) has been a scheme by Jecht and Auron to get this rebellion against Yunalesca to happen.

Auron never told Tidus anything important about Spira. This means that Tidus runs around going "huh, why is this like that" all over the place and annoying everyone - but also makes the other party members, including Yuna, question the status quo as well.

Auron's normally a stickler about doing one's duty as a guardian, but unlike the other party members, he encourages Tidus and Yuna getting close to each other, in other to make them want to live for each other instead of dying (Auron may or may not know about the whole 'Zanarkand is a giant aeon' thing).

At the start of the game, Auron and Jecht-as-Sin are literally working together to put Tidus into Spira, regardless of the damage to Zanarkand (because, hey, it's an aeon anyway, right?).

When Auron pops up again in Luca, it's because he knows that's where Tidus, as a blitzball player, is most likely to turn up - him having already met Yuna is either a happy accident, or the work of Sin-as-Jecht grabbing Tidus from the Al Bhed ship and tossing him there.
Auron insists Tidus comes along to be a guardian, because he needs the outsider influence from Tidus on the rest of the party.

And now, here, he's the final push to get the other party members to fight Yunalesca.

It might be Tidus and Yuna's story... but Auron's the one writing it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

bewilderment posted:

So at this point, given all the cutscenes, we have (I'm not sure if it's elaborated more later) we as players realise something that can be pretty important.

This entire pilgrimage and sequence of events (besides Seymour's involvement) has been a scheme by Jecht and Auron to get this rebellion against Yunalesca to happen.

Auron never told Tidus anything important about Spira. This means that Tidus runs around going "huh, why is this like that" all over the place and annoying everyone - but also makes the other party members, including Yuna, question the status quo as well.

Auron's normally a stickler about doing one's duty as a guardian, but unlike the other party members, he encourages Tidus and Yuna getting close to each other, in other to make them want to live for each other instead of dying (Auron may or may not know about the whole 'Zanarkand is a giant aeon' thing).

At the start of the game, Auron and Jecht-as-Sin are literally working together to put Tidus into Spira, regardless of the damage to Zanarkand (because, hey, it's an aeon anyway, right?).

When Auron pops up again in Luca, it's because he knows that's where Tidus, as a blitzball player, is most likely to turn up - him having already met Yuna is either a happy accident, or the work of Sin-as-Jecht grabbing Tidus from the Al Bhed ship and tossing him there.
Auron insists Tidus comes along to be a guardian, because he needs the outsider influence from Tidus on the rest of the party.

And now, here, he's the final push to get the other party members to fight Yunalesca.

Given that the story is attributed to Tidus and Yuna even though Auron is writing it, would it be fair to say that he's the ghostwriter of this story? :v:

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

This upcoming boss. The surprise at that point when your best laid plans go to poo poo. That's a good moment of game design. This is definitely the one boss I'd say that makes you think beyond "deal maximum damage in the shortest amount of time possible".
And the revelation that :human being: has been manipulating it all as Doom Whale is nicely done.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

bewilderment posted:

Auron's been pulling the strings on this party from minute one to ensure they were both strong enough and in the proper mindset to finish what he started all those years ago. Considering what he's seen, you can't blame him for the manipulation.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I kinda liked when Lulu's voice actress took on a completely different voice, especially after Yunalesca's fabulous line. It always felt like in that moment alone Lulu felt the same kind of bomb drop that Wakka had been sustaining over half of the game with all the Yevon-is-lovely revelations. I saw this cutscene dozens and dozens of times, but it never really diminished how good it is as a sequence for me; Yuna and Auron's parts of the piece are still awesome as hell.
Shame about Yunalesca's outfit, though with TheDarkId's commentary now I'm a little more convinced it's just her slumming around after 1000 years of sitting in a dead city, not having to give two shits about who might see her since they're going to probably be dead anyway in some form shortly after. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

bewilderment posted:

Not just Auron... remember, Jecht was the one who said he'd think of something. And on that note, it's worth remembering something important about Jecht:

The Dark Id posted:

"Uh?!"

*walks to the railing* "How do you know that?"

"Hehe. Sir Jecht showed it to me when I was a child."

*groans and sits on railing* "Stupid name, huh? You know what? There is no Mark I or Mark II, you know?"

"He said they'd come back every night expecting to see Mark I and Mark II. And, they really did come back. I used to... get so mad."

Jecht knew how to string people along... and it's a poor conman who fails to recognize his own con for what it is. Granted, it's all dolled up in religious pageantry and the context is different, but at the end of the day, it's the same basic idea. "Maybe THIS time Sin will stay dead for good!" "Maybe THIS time I'll get to see one of the other Jecht Shots!" It's all about playing on people's hopes to get them to do what you want.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Not just Auron... remember, Jecht was the one who said he'd think of something. And on that note, it's worth remembering something important about Jecht:

Jecht knew how to string people along... and it's a poor conman who fails to recognize his own con for what it is. Granted, it's all dolled up in religious pageantry and the context is different, but at the end of the day, it's the same basic idea. "Maybe THIS time Sin will stay dead for good!" "Maybe THIS time I'll get to see one of the other Jecht Shots!" It's all about playing on people's hopes to get them to do what you want.

...Wow. I actually never caught that. That's pretty clever.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This boss is loving bullshit, man.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't remember having much of a problem with Yunalesca. :shrug:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I had a thought. Considering Hedy Buress, who voices Yuna, also voiced Rosie in Valkyria Chronicles, I'm thinking this. Since Yuna's first Dressphere in FFX-2 is a Gunner and Rosie is a Shocktrooper, what's to say that someone hasn't done fanart of replacing Yuna's Gunner dressphere with Rosie's outfit?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think that everything after the Sanctuary Keeper boss through Zanarkand is really fantastic, but this update, the climax of the trip is just the best part of it. I'm not sure what else can be said that hasn't been said already.

If it wasn't for Tidus and everyone else, Yuna wouldn't have asked Yunalesca the important question. If there was a hope of someday being able to atone and stop Sin for good, I think Yuna would still gladly have sacrificed her life. But now, because of her friends, she is not going to throw her life away for absolutely nothing.

After the Sanctuary Keeper boss, Auron said that he wanted to change the world, but he failed. But that may not be true. Because of what he did to guide this group, they might be able to change the world after all.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I really loving hate the incoming boss. I kind of just sailed through every boss with relative ease up until this point, but Yunalesca. Not only did she beat my rear end a good number of times, but my save games became corrupted. I had restart the entire game.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
God, I just love Wakka during this part when he's basically going "goddamn it, really?"

OH BOY THIS BOSS FIGHT

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LEGO Genetics posted:

God, I just love Wakka during this part when he's basically going "goddamn it, really?"

OH BOY THIS BOSS FIGHT

I like how he's just started rolling with it by now. "Oh, ya, great, yet another part of my childhood faith is a sham, eh brudda? 'Hey Wakka, everything you know is a lie, now let me murder your sister-figure so you can all bury your heads in the sand some more, ya?' Gimme a break..."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This scene was so drat good that I never minded seeing it again and again. I probably had to see it about 10 times. But a few bosses after this gave me even more trouble, including the last one.

This is just one of about 10 scenes in FFX that I prefer to any scene from any other Final Fantasy.

Challenge is a good thing too. That the game is challenging makes me easily put it above FFs 6-9 in gameplay. X I think is the closest FF ever came to doing everything great.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 19, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My take away from this game the first time through was that I really liked Auron and Wakka's stories. Wakka gets the truth dragged in front of him, and as lovely as it is he never really backs down from it. The dude is a trooper.

2nd play through I enjoyed Yuna just as much. Tidus never fully clicked with me, but I do like his role in Zanarkand and his realizations about his dad.

Yunalesca took me three tries, I think.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I know the awkward pause in Wakka's line is due to trying to match the lip flaps, but that beat between "even in. . . death, ya?" always made me think he was clearing his throat, facing a fear he'd never had before.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I'm proud to say that this next boss only took me 2 tries. Obviously the first try slammed into a loving brick wall at top speed when that one attack got busted out. Every single person in this thread knows the one I speak of.

God, I just love the dialog for this scene. Yuna (and Lulu, for that matter) had been giving a mostly dismal performance in the voice field throughout the game up until now, but here's where they really step it up. And of course Auron finally giving a gently caress, finally getting to put an END to this bullshit. Pretty much everyone's actors nailed this scene. Easily one of the best scenes in the game (which is a good thing, since some people had to watch it several times).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder what Auron's reaction would have been if they just went "Okay this seems like an acceptable sacrifice"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

bobjr posted:

I wonder what Auron's reaction would have been if they just went "Okay this seems like an acceptable sacrifice"

*shifts sword onto shoulder* "Mind repeating that? My hearing isn't what it used to be."

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No one really comments Lulu's voodo dolls and how cool they all look.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Mokinokaro posted:

Tip for DD: when you get to Gran Soren, go to the inn and check your storage. A bunch of new items will be added, including an unlimited fast travel stone.
Did they add that to the PC version by default?

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Now that we are at this part, it is time to voice something I have been wondering. How would Yunalesca react if some Summoner was able to solo their pilgrimage? Like some kinda of summoner who, instead of taking White Mage as their bonus class abilities, went full on stealthy rogue who could just sneak by all obstacles after getting the Aeons? Or some Summoner who mastered the entire Sphere Grid, had all the Break Limit abilities on their gear and just steamrolled their entire pilgrimage by themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OminousEdge posted:

Now that we are at this part, it is time to voice something I have been wondering. How would Yunalesca react if some Summoner was able to solo their pilgrimage? Like some kinda of summoner who, instead of taking White Mage as their bonus class abilities, went full on stealthy rogue who could just sneak by all obstacles after getting the Aeons? Or some Summoner who mastered the entire Sphere Grid, had all the Break Limit abilities on their gear and just steamrolled their entire pilgrimage by themselves.

I think it's part of the official tradition to take at least one guardian, isn't it?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah, you'd have to be a dedicated traditionalist to want to give yourself up for the summoning, and that wouldn't gel with breaking the tradition of a guardian.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alternatively, Yunalesca just murders them. After a while the rumour spreads that no solo summoner has ever succeeded in their pilgrimage.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's part of the official tradition to take at least one guardian, isn't it?

Tradition and indoctrination. If you're going on the pilgrimage, you need a guardian. At least one guardian. One guardian needs to have some sort of attachment to you so that they won't just kill you, steal the war chest and leave you in a ditch unsent. After that, whoever the gently caress you want. Drunken lunatic? Sure. Cat Man? I guess. Loser Sportsman? Okay, stop making poo poo up random summoner in training, you're just trying to be a smart rear end. If you want to be guarded by a relatively large to you but tiny man cat FINE. Don't come crying to me though when your incompetent blitzball player kicks a ball into the back of your skull while you're summoning your Thunder Pony.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Challenge is a good thing too. That the game is challenging makes me easily put it above FFs 6-9 in gameplay. X I think is the closest FF ever came to doing everything great.

Quiet a few parts of 9 are pretty challenging if you don't know exactly what you're doing and don't always have top tier stolen/synthesized equipment.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
FFVIII was extremely challenging...if you didn't understand how junctioning worked.

I still don't get how junctioning is supposed to work in-universe.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

fool_of_sound posted:

Quiet a few parts of 9 are pretty challenging if you don't know exactly what you're doing and don't always have top tier stolen/synthesized equipment.

I got through Final Fantasy IX all the way to disc 4 (and my third-party memory card breaking :( ) before I turned twelve, and I was pretty bad at Final Fantasy IX, so I can assure you that this is false.

Vengarr posted:

FFVIII was extremely challenging...if you didn't understand how junctioning worked.

I still don't get how junctioning is supposed to work in-universe.

You have magic stored within you, and you direct it to enhance a part of yourself. It's a universe with magic, saying "I use the energy of Fire to enhance the strength of my arms" isn't that weird compared to giant summoned beings that erase memories.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mans posted:

No one really comments Lulu's voodo dolls and how cool they all look.

It was Wakka's blitz ball that got me. I'm not sure how he holds that thing without impairing himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

In the entire game they only died against Seymour Flux and Yunalesca.

They made a good accounting of themselves here, unlike...well every other game I've seen them LP. Their strategy in X-2 still hurts me.

It's because X tends towards being newbie-friendly: At any point in the game, you'll generally have all the resources you need at your disposal to get past a boss. It's much easier to screw yourself in X-2 by not learning any useful abilities or bringing mis-matched dresspheres to boss fights.

• Locked thread