Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

While watching the women's foil div1 final the other day, overheard a spectating ref say that it isn't possible to have PIL and hit off target after that was called :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
If you're being strict constructionist about it, the rules do say PIL has to threaten valid target. Would like to hear that guy's thoughts about hidden blade attacks and flicks.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Ha, someone brought a cavalry sabre to training a few weeks back. Heavy as gently caress for my delicate little foilist hands, but after I was shown how to actually hold it (thumb wrapped around the grip rather than straight up) and it made a bit more sense. Hell, if I ever find a nice antiquey one for not too much money I might buy it to put on the wall... or in the kitchen next to the knife block to see people's reactions.

As luck would have it, my favourite foil blade is giving out, too. It's a maraging BF from 2009 and it'll be sad to see it finally die :( This is going to be an expensive holiday season for me.

yeah rip

Also, can anyone who does japanese swordy stuff explain to me what's going on in the demo done before the women's foil finals at Torino recently? Video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-9hTVYXooA (samurai stuff starts around 9 minutes)
They seem to stare intensely at each other, do a single carefully executed cut or guard, then spend a great deal of time sheathing their weapons again. I'm kinda curious as to what was actually happening here, is it just people demonstrating one move each while looking cool, or are they doing something more specific?

They look like Aikido people (The Mizuno branded gi's are a big giveaway) doing iaido-seitei kata very badly along with some of their own homemade 2-person kata, probably loosely based on Yagyu-shinkage-ryu. As Ueshiba-sensei was trained in that, which means Aikido people are often doing some kind of crappy sword work.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The socks and the red hakama don't look like aikido gear, and the aikido sword syllabus I know is done entirely with bokken, without draws. I mean I guess they could be local aikido people who just cross-train an actual sword style, but :confused:

In other news, instructed my first (half a) class tonight and I didn't make any massive goofs! :toot:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 15, 2015

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's a joke dude. crazy achmed does olympic fencing and would probably hurt himself picking that up lol
Would've thought that breaking down why it was illegal by the rulebook instead of just saying "that sabre just ain't right" would've been an obvious joke.

quote:

what does this even mean

The bend is allowed goes left or right, as in the bend or curve of the blade must be perpendicular to the cutting edge. I can't remember what the terms are in the rulebook, and I ain't going through the materials rules to find them.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

The socks and the red hakama don't look like aikido gear, and the aikido sword syllabus I know is done entirely with bokken, without draws. I mean I guess they could be local aikido people who just cross-train an actual sword style, but :confused::

We did a kendo demo at a large aikido seminar some years ago and there was many bewildering types of aikido, using a variety of weapons, almost all of them very badly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meiw6GR-zSY

I suspect our next intake of beginners will be a lot bigger now!!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wouldn't real life lightsabring just amount to slightly less suicidal olympic sabre?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
no because midiclorians

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meiw6GR-zSY

I suspect our next intake of beginners will be a lot bigger now!!

The JSA portion of our school is going to see a massive uptick in students. Which stinks because the instructor is really not good. But we usually poach their students or send them to arguably the best swordsman in NYC to learn.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 16, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
got a sword now

also got a friend who likes photography

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

got a sword now

also got a friend who likes photography

Where from?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
danelli

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nice.

So, do you know how to use it yet? :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Nice.

So, do you know how to use it yet? :v:
come try me and see :ese:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Oh my I may be dropping ~300 yos on one of them gorgeous side swords in the not too distant future. HEMA Ireland requires rolled tips though, which is a bit of a bummer

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Thanks for explaining about the kata stuff, it makes a lot more sense if I think of it as stuff you'd normally practise by yourself. Er... are Mr. Chen's Electric Sabres FIE rated? I almost want one just to say that I have Mr. Chen's Electric Sabre.

...Mr. Chen and the Electric Sabres sounds like a band I'd like to go and see, as well.

What with all the hype about the new star wars movie, we were actually talking about lightsabres a bit last training; we came to the conclusion that it'd be more like historical epee duelling - all point-in-line all the time, being super defensive and pecking at your opponent's wrist. Because if a mere touch will burn a hole through your opponent's hand (or yours!), why use anything other than maximum range - and why pick another target when your closest one will also conveniently destroy your opponent's main hand?

Also that's a nice looking rapier. How much does it weigh?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

no idea. i live in a youth hostel now and don't have a scale. it's slightly heavy though, which is probably better because a delicate sword might get snapped while i'm doing this:
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-24-oktober-2015/
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-25-oktober-2015/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Friend of my school and also fantastic historian/interpreter MEMAG put out part two of their excellent The Art of the Sword of Grandmaster Liechtenauer and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRUSviaT6U8

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm ou of town for the holidays and have nothing better to do, so I picked up a project: I'm going through Wiktenauer's page on Fiore and cataloguing the abrazare (that is, grappling) techniques into an excel sheet. I'm looking at how details like grips and footwork vary between similar-looking moves, which play counters what, and so on. We don't do a lot of unarmed stuff at our school, so it's been interesting to get a broader look at the system. It'd be neat to do a class focused on abrazare...

... except I've found maybe three moves one could make safe for sparring at speed. Sigh.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

about 2.4 pounds

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I don't suppose anyone has heard tell of a HEMA club in/near humboldt county (norcal)? I'm relocating there from the bay area and from what I can gather it's a barren wasteland.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 4, 2016

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Watch the people at Dimicator fence each other with sharp swords and bucklers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dc3sFAJWk

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Huh, SPES works like a real business. I ordered an Axel Pettersson jacket exactly a week ago, and today they put it in a box across Europe.

In other HEMA gear news, Leon Paul's new HEMA mask is finally out and it looks pretty nice. The price is a bit steep for my current budget, but it's still much lower than their range of white masks. And who doesn't want a 20% stronger mask? :shepspends: (Yes, I'm still mooching masks off my club, I'm terrible.)

Edit: Christ, the shipping is exactly one murder.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 11, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm taking a fencing class and the instructor (who isn't the varsity coach like was promised :argh:) said that beginners should only learn foil. Why is that

Also, he said that we do modern, pre-electric fencing. How is that different from classical fencing

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I have an instructor who does the same thing. The basic answer is people start in foil because it's the most limited weapon. Limiting the number of targets (and the number of strategies/tactics one might employ in a bout) allows a person to focus more on developing good technique and control. Once they're solid, then they move on to other weapons.

Modern, pre-electric sounds like a way of saying "We're not using rapiers, but we're not actually doing the most modern version (electric) that there is.) Classical, to me at least, sounds like you're studying Capoferro or something, which isn't quite what modern, pre-electric fencing is and definitely isn't what electric fencing is. A shorter answer might be that modern, pre-electric has no flick.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I'm kind of confused by a coach who might in any way be related to a competitive team that would want to teach you "pre-electric fencing."

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 11, 2016

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm taking a fencing class and the instructor (who isn't the varsity coach like was promised :argh:) said that beginners should only learn foil. Why is that

Also, he said that we do modern, pre-electric fencing. How is that different from classical fencing

Varsity, what school are you going to that does competitive, dry fencing?

"Everyone starts with foil" is one of the schools of thought on how to start fencing. Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a strong pedagogical reasoning behind it but do know that it is a very traditional outlook.

As to "modern, pre-electric fencing" dollars to doughnuts they're using the 1970-ish Amateur Fencing League of America (becomes the USFA in the 80's) rulebook for competition, hence making it modern and not classical. Why those rules? It was last set to describe dry fencing for competitions. Is your club or school a part of the American Fencing League?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BirdOfPlay posted:

Varsity, what school are you going to that does competitive, dry fencing?

"Everyone starts with foil" is one of the schools of thought on how to start fencing. Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a strong pedagogical reasoning behind it but do know that it is a very traditional outlook.

As to "modern, pre-electric fencing" dollars to doughnuts they're using the 1970-ish Amateur Fencing League of America (becomes the USFA in the 80's) rulebook for competition, hence making it modern and not classical. Why those rules? It was last set to describe dry fencing for competitions. Is your club or school a part of the American Fencing League?

The varsity team is electric, but the class isn't. He didn't explain why but I inferred that he thinks it leads to bad habits

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Two awesome fencers made a short film about HEMA. It's kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_tGmkfaGs

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smoking Crow posted:

The varsity team is electric, but the class isn't. He didn't explain why but I inferred that he thinks it leads to bad habits

Wait, which is being done to prevent bad habits: starting with foil or starting dry? Because I have opinions on both of those stances.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BirdOfPlay posted:

Wait, which is being done to prevent bad habits: starting with foil or starting dry? Because I have opinions on both of those stances.

Both

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BirdOfPlay posted:

bad habits

"I just took the parry, let me take my time to make this riposte..."

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm of the opinion that foil is the best weapon to begin with, because at beginner level, at least: it's lighter than an epee, slower than sabre, and the target and priority rules help to form good habits that will help in the other two weapons.

Starting with epee is a bit harsh given that your primary target, the wrist and forearm, are comparatively tiny and hard to hit; also the lack of priority can make it really hard to get a grasp of the other weapons. I'm no epeeist but it feels like a "learn to walk before you can run" kind of thing. Foil applies a lot of rules about when it's safe to stop defending yourself and try attacking, and while these rules can apply just fine in epee (i.e. parrying and riposting versus pomelling and countering all day every day) they're just guidelines - knowing when and how to bend and break them is subtle, risky, but devastatingly effective.

As for beginning on sabre, I know people who have done this and turned out just fine, but the combination of it being really drat fast and easy to get double touches (big target and triggered by contact anywhere on the blade) can make it a bit confusing for beginners to get a solid feel for where the priority is and understanding why a point gets called a certain way. I also reckon it's the most difficult weapon of the three to parry with - get it ever so slightly wrong and the attack will go through and nick you on the wrist.
Plus it's easy for a newbie in the heat of the moment to forget to cut from the fingers rather than the shoulder...

That said, all 3 weapons are fun and I certainly wouldn't ban anyone from giving epee or sabre a go, but I would recommend that foil is a beginner's mainstay for the first couple of months. BirdOfPlay will probably rip me apart now.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 14, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I've heard it argued that saber is better for younger kids since they don't have much fine motor control, and saber doesn't rely on that as much as foil does. You can get them moving and thinking like fencers before they're ready to work on detailed hand work.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That makes some sense, I guess, plus sabre being relatively flashy and piratey is always a good way to keep them interested.
I'm probably biased as I'll still having trouble getting the cut-finishes-just-before-the-foot-lands timing consistent :histdowns:

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

dupersaurus posted:

I've heard it argued that saber is better for younger kids since they don't have much fine motor control, and saber doesn't rely on that as much as foil does. You can get them moving and thinking like fencers before they're ready to work on detailed hand work.

Anyone who says this has way more faith in little kids than I do. Kids are assholes who go out of their way to hurt each other. At least with foil, it's sort of hard for the kids to hurt each other and still get points. With saber, the line between "fencing correctly" and being an rear end in a top hat is a bit more fuzzy, I don't let anyone bout saber until I think aren't an idiot.

Also, explaining to parents why little Timmy has a tiny bruise is hard enough without the occasional nasty saber whacks.

"Dry is best for beginners" is code for "we don't want newbies spending a half-hour putting on our expensive electric equipment only to break it".

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Kids are assholes who go out of their way to hurt each other.

My experience with kids & kendo is almost completely opposite. They'll still whack the poo poo out of adults, but are amazing at controlling the amount of force they use when they practice with their peers (or juniors)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That's encouraging to hear, I doubt I'd have had that much self-control when I was a kid, but maybe there's something that makes you instinctively strike more softly against a smaller target relative to your size. I've also heard people saying that they like to start foil newbies off on french/post grips as pistol is alledgedly a bit less reliant on fine finger control, but I don't know how much truth there is in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Anyone who says this has way more faith in little kids than I do. Kids are assholes who go out of their way to hurt each other. At least with foil, it's sort of hard for the kids to hurt each other and still get points. With saber, the line between "fencing correctly" and being an rear end in a top hat is a bit more fuzzy, I don't let anyone bout saber until I think aren't an idiot.

Maybe my club just gets a bunch of good kids and/or quickly weeds out the bad ones, but my experience has been opposite of that. The newbies are mostly worried about not getting hit themselves (reaching forward to cut while leaning backwards as far as they can). It might get a little trickier with boys and puberty, but that's not a saber-specific problem.