Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

Conrad? :allears:
Did they fix the save bug for the PS3 release?
Not this time. But I'll get around to him, don't you worry. And the Conrad thing in ME2 is bugged on every platform IIRC. Prior to ME1 being released on PS3 he didn't show up since there were no flags :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
For some reason if he survives, it sets both paragon and renegade flags for how you resolved the conflict. If you fix it manually in something like Gibbed the plot plays out just fine.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Ashley :stare:

Man, you guys weren't kidding

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ashley raises a number of excellent points

10/10 would not virmire again

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Ashley is basically the only character from the first game that I could see ever sympathizing with cerberus

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Up Circle posted:

Ashley is basically the only character from the first game that I could see ever sympathizing with cerberus
Which is funny, considering.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

well this is a line between acknowledging the galaxy is run by selfish assholes so being one is just par of the course

and believing things like thresher maw acid + human blood = science

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hard counter posted:

well this is a line between acknowledging the galaxy is run by selfish assholes so being one is just par of the course

One of the things I dislike about ME is how much 2 and 3 make this absolutely correct.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hard counter posted:

But if that were true, the Turians would deny the Reapers exist, the Asari would be keeping all this advanced technology secret, and the Salarians would still be doing dumb poo poo like uplifting species even while defending the genophage.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

But if that were true, the Turians would deny the Reapers exist, the Asari would be keeping all this advanced technology secret, and the Salarians would still be doing dumb poo poo like uplifting species even while defending the genophage.
(turns to directly stare into a slowly-zooming-in camera)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Up Circle posted:

And when you meet her in 2 she's like "hey I'm a Klansman but I'm no fuckin' Nazi"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

And when you meet her in 2 she's like "hey I'm a Klansman but I'm no fuckin' Nazi"

And then she keeps doing it in 3. For the love of gently caress, woman, I blew up everything they've ever wanted in one fell swoop and you still think I'm working for them after you let Udina play you like a fiddle? And you wonder why I'm sleeping with the Quarian now?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

And then she keeps doing it in 3. For the love of gently caress, woman, I blew up everything they've ever wanted in one fell swoop and you still think I'm working for them after you let Udina play you like a fiddle? And you wonder why I'm sleeping with the Quarian now?
Your mistake for sleeping with Ashley in the first place.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Your mistake for sleeping with Ashley in the first place.

I wanted the paramour achievement and my only other option was a 90 year old pre-teen, it felt really creepy in my first playthrough.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Kurieg posted:

I wanted the paramour achievement and my only other option was a 90 year old pre-teen, it felt really creepy in my first playthrough.

She's only 106 that's at least 18 in Asari years! :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Thessia must've had really forgiving predators if someone could spend a whole century being a useless baby

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

They were basically uplifted by the protheans with enough advanced tech that they probably didn't have to worry about predators.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

hard counter posted:

Thessia must've had really forgiving predators if someone could spend a whole century being a useless baby

That's part of the problems with being a species that has a natural lifespan of 1000 years, you can afford to spend a few hundred years doing nothing important, which has the knock on effect of causing you to stagnate as a species as you spend centuries doing nothing, while shorter lived species like Humans actually do the grunt work and get things done.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I bet there are asari that have spent whole centuries vegetating infront of a screen leveling their WoW Galaxy of Fantasy characters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

That's part of the problems with being a species that has a natural lifespan of 1000 years, you can afford to spend a few hundred years doing nothing important, which has the knock on effect of causing you to stagnate as a species as you spend centuries doing nothing, while shorter lived species like Humans actually do the grunt work and get things done.
Meanwhile you've got the Salarians that live to like 30 and do their best Jason Statham in Crank impression for that entire span

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

berenzen posted:

They were basically uplifted by the protheans with enough advanced tech that they probably didn't have to worry about predators.
Yeah, the Asari is a race which got pretty much everything handed over to them on a platter, which is why they also got a giant bullseye painted on them by the Reapers in ME3 .

Truly a shame :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aren't the krogan a long lived species as well? At least that's the impression that bartender gives in ME2

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Aces High posted:

aren't the krogan a long lived species as well? At least that's the impression that bartender gives in ME2

They are, but unlike the Asari they blew their homeworld back to the stone age and the genophage did the rest.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Not to mention the whole 'they keep killing each other a lot' thing that was going on even before the genophage made that an actual problem for them.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Not to mention the whole 'they keep killing each other a lot' thing that was going on even before the genophage made that an actual problem for them.
The best thing about the Krogans? That's the fact that the Bloodrage that they all have was actually considered a genetic defect by the Krogan themselves a few centuries ago. Unfortunatly the Krogans with the Bloodrage gene were the only ones hardy enough to survive the five or so nuclear holocausts that Tuchanka has gone through by now so the Krogans of yore was actually less psycho than the ones you have at the time of the beginning of Mass Effect.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Kurieg posted:

They also made the Batarian punch an equippable item late in multiplayer's lifecycle with predictable results.

Ah, memories. :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

Yeah, just most of 'em don't live that long :v: The writers put a lot of effort into the science explaining the ME universe, they just apparently skipped biology classes. Generally long lifespans equate to slow maturation rates but you've got Morinth running away from home at 40 which should be the human equivalent of around 6. Instead it's more like mid/late teenager in game.

Also apparently Asari are placental mammals but that doesn't get brought up either. :haw:

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
I just love the devastation Ashley discussion brings to any internet board. You'd think we're hundreds of years early for species guilt, but apparently we're not.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One thing the third game sort of did okay at was making any weirdness behind the Asari species compared to the others is that they are literally a science experiment. So fast maturation but long lives are something that was done to them not natural. Still doesn't explain the breasts because as far as I can tell Protheans are insectoid and Asari were probably some sort of amphibian/reptile before the Protheans did science to them.

I mean most of the other races kind of work as a natural evolution, and the Asari are wierd because they aren't natural.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That is one of the neater bits with Javik, if you encourage him to use the memory shard he becomes suicidal and morose but if you don't, and encourage him to reconcile with Liara, he does some introspection on what his culture did and eventually decides not to kill himself and writes a book on Prothean Culture with her.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Meanwhile you've got the Salarians that live to like 30 and do their best Jason Statham in Crank impression for that entire span

The Salarians have pretty much been my favorites from the first game. Always running around like over-caffeinated speed freaks, multi-tasking (I'm guessing) out of some kind of OCD reaction to their mortality. Since we're ok with talking about spoilers, I know just about everyone's favorite is Mordin (naturally enough), but I took an insanity run save into ME3 that had gotten him killed during the suicide run at the end of ME2. And the replacement Mordin is pretty good, and even had one of my biggest laugh out loud moments. While Padok, the replacement salarian crew member, is working on the genophage cure, he starts to imagine what krogan sex must be like:

That reverie interrupted by a moment of shock/horror made me put down the controller for a while, I was laughing so hard.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aces High posted:

Theoretically yes but considering Wrex's commentary last video, not in practice.

You can think of them like those theoretically extremely long-lived jellyfish that have robust body/DNA repair mechanisms so they barely age, if at all. Scientists like to imagine there's the one out there that's millennias and millennias old even though typical members of the species die before ten since nature has absolutely no chill and is always looking to kill a motherfucker. Tuchanka likewise has no chill and due its radioactivity and extreme predators krogans became tanks. Asari more closely follow the paradigm that longer lived = longer maturation especially since centenarians are still babbies over there.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Pastrymancy posted:

Ashley :stare:

Man, you guys weren't kidding

Great, this again.

I hate to break it too you She's entirely loving CORRECT based on the next 2 games

Again, the main difference between renegade and paragon (my interpretation) is that renegade embraces this most of the time (with a dash of rear end in a top hat mixed in) while paragon acknowledges it but tries to be better than that (and keeps telling everybody what a dumb attitude this is).

monster on a stick posted:

Thanks, I feel like I needed a laugh :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 19, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I know this is open spoilers but I was wondering if you could maybe not talk about it in the videos? Skimming a thread is easy, avoiding spoilers when watching the vids is much harder. I know this game is old but I have managed to stay unspoiled so far.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'll do what I can but won't make any promises. A lot of the stuff we're doing is specifically to trigger stuff in future games.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Callback Cavalcade

Doing some sidequests that carry into the next games. Helena turns up in Afterlife in 2 if you don't shoot her and Nassana meets her end at the hands of Thane whether you do this quest or not. No, we didn't punch Khalisa because this option gets you Hackett explaining she looks like a nut in her segment. Don't fret, there will be some future punching. Also squad AI goes haywire and everyone crawls up Shep's rear end.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How can anyone resist not punching her? It's great. It's even better than headbutting a krogan.

Also squad AI goes haywire and everyone crawls up Shep's rear end.
I guess that explains the rear admiral. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 21, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

How can anyone resist not punching her? It's great. It's even better than headbutting a krogan.
My favorite thing is the video you can find from LotSB where a Krogan punches her :haw:

e: and the Volus kicks her in the shins

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My favorite thing is the video you can find from LotSB where a Krogan punches her :haw:

e: and the Volus kicks her in the shins
Yes, those are definitely great too. But they lack the wonderful satisfactory feeling you get with player input.

edit
Oh god, the combat dialog. I had completely suppressed that. I will destroy you! I will destroy you! Go go go! I will destroy you! Enemies everywhere! I will destroy you! You must die! Go go go!

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Poil posted:

pretty easy actually. Shep delivers some solid as hell verbal beatdowns if you go that route, and it pays off in ME3 better in my opinion.

Now, punching random scientist on Eden Prime, headbutting krogan, pushing mercs out of windows, yeah all of that. I just never felt the urge to be like "hey you're asking me questions I don't like nrghfghfhg i'll just punch you" when "hey you're asking lovely loaded questions, I'm gonna turn that around and beat you at your own game" was available. Far more opportunities to feel smug about the latter.

• Locked thread