Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

titaniumone posted:

I just want to drive cars casually on my PC when I feel bored, maybe using my keyboard, or maybe using an Xbox 360 controller. Should I get Project Cars? I see a ton of people on Steam raging about what a buggy mess it is and that has put me off of buying it.

There is a new Trackmania coming out soon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/375900/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

pik_d posted:

I do quite well in LFS and Dirt Rally with a pad. iRacing seemed impossible, but if you're spending that much on a game you may as well splurge for a wheel.

Oh, I haven't tried Dirt Rally yet and assumed it wasn't good with a pad. I need to check it out!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Project Cars doesn't really seem like a game to play casually. I've used a gamepad with Assetto Corsa for a while now, works well for me out of box with no tweaking. Though those that raced with me yesterday might be inclined to say otherwise. :v: I really need to get a wheel.

Codemasters games always have really nice gamepad support, definitely look into Dirt Rally and Grid Autosport. I used to play the old Dirt games with a keyboard.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GutBomb posted:

Oh, I haven't tried Dirt Rally yet and assumed it wasn't good with a pad. I need to check it out!

It's pretty good on a pad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jehde posted:

Project Cars doesn't really seem like a game to play casually.

Not sure what this means, as Pcars does just fine. Start it up, select either a race weekend and set it up custom however you want, or click the free practice button and hoon around whatever track you want. There's no unlocks to grind for, and you can play 10 minutes or 2 hours if you want. Fits my definition of "casual."

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Any time I have tried to jump into it, I have not enjoyed it. YMMV. People have posted already that Pcars needs tweaking to play with a gamepad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most PC games do, almost nothing ships with ideal control setups and once you bring in analog inputs it gets even worse.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

Any time I have tried to jump into it, I have not enjoyed it. YMMV. People have posted already that Pcars needs tweaking to play with a gamepad.

Yea and it takes like a few minutes. The biggest hurdle is the crummy default tuning setups.

I'd say that anyone into flight or racing sims better get comfortable with the idea of poo poo not ever working properly right from the get go. The less said about something like Falcon BMS the better.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Codemasters does just fine. :shrug: Also previously noted that rear end Corsa does alright as well. I've only ever dabbled with LFS but that was fun with a gamepad too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

Codemasters does just fine. :shrug: Also previously noted that rear end Corsa does alright as well. I've only ever dabbled with LFS but that was fun with a gamepad too.

Codies has an awful lot of experience building games out to a console audience, which gives them a serious leg up on gamepad stuff.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Totally agree. Point is dude is trying to find a game to play casually, I think something from Codemasters fits the bill more than Pcars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

Totally agree. Point is dude is trying to find a game to play casually, I think something from Codemasters fits the bill more than Pcars.

Nah. PCARS is more rewarding with how everything is unlocked right from the get go. GRID Autosport has a career progression/unlock system in place. Plus, PCARS just feels a ton better than GRID.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I didn't think about grid autosport. That might also work too. It's way more of a game than any of the others that I mentioned though. Shift 2 is probably as close as you'll get to something like Forza or Gran Turismo. I guess Sega GT, but it's old (2002ish)

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

holocaust bloopers posted:

People, especially those in the sim community, tend to be extremely histrionic.

Pcars is very cool and fun on a game pad. I can pass my setting to you, plus tuning tips. You'll have a good time with it.

Care to share?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

titaniumone posted:

Care to share?

steering sensitivity - 20-35 (play with it a bit. I like mine down to 20)
deadzone - 3-5
gas and brake deadzone - 0
speed sensitivity - 70
control filtering - 60

controller mode 3

Works really well for me.

And for tuning, the cars are set up to have the rear get super light when breaking or turning. Stiffen front springs and roll bars; soften rear and roll bars. You'll want the rears to be 200-300 lb softer than the fronts. Adjust the diffs too. I keep mine at 40/40 and adjust from there.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

I do quite well in LFS and Dirt Rally with a pad. iRacing seemed impossible, but if you're spending that much on a game you may as well splurge for a wheel.

I don't think iRacing is impossible, it's just you are racing against real people. Everything else people are talking about here is against AI. Particularly for the 'casual' sim racer guy (is there such a thing? Plenty of less simmy car games to play). You can play the games, turn down the difficulty and have a fine old time. Your experience and how good you get like that will not translate to somewhere like iRacing.

Also, if unlocks = game to you then yeah Grid and plenty of other games do that in spades. For people that actually want the content locked away so they can 'earn' it or something (again see my comments above) then the shift in games like PCars, the focus on being on drive whatever you want and here is a series you can compete in.. but you're not unlocking stuff.. might not be for you. Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Jehde posted:

Ive found assetto to be decent with a pad had much more problem with NFS shift with its floatly handling and bugs

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tony Montana posted:

I don't think iRacing is impossible, it's just you are racing against real people. Everything else people are talking about here is against AI. Particularly for the 'casual' sim racer guy (is there such a thing? Plenty of less simmy car games to play). You can play the games, turn down the difficulty and have a fine old time. Your experience and how good you get like that will not translate to somewhere like iRacing.

Also, if unlocks = game to you then yeah Grid and plenty of other games do that in spades. For people that actually want the content locked away so they can 'earn' it or something (again see my comments above) then the shift in games like PCars, the focus on being on drive whatever you want and here is a series you can compete in.. but you're not unlocking stuff.. might not be for you. Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

Does Grid Autosport require unlocks for time trial and single race modes? I didn't mess with it too much before Dirt Rally and other sims pulled me away, but I thought they took the Rock Band route of having a campaign that progressively unlocks stuff, or you can skip right to doing whatever in the other game modes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Grid Autosport is kinda close to the Race Driver series' way of unlocks, where once you reach a series in career its cars and tracks are unlocked in free play. At least that's what I remember, I think Grid 1 didn't have unlocks but the career was kinda free-form anyway. Never played Grid 2 because I was told it was poo poo.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tony Montana posted:

LFS is against other people. Dirt Rally is against other people, though not at the same time on the same track, times are still compared to people.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

There are also plenty of people who play online with gamepads in pCARS.

Edit: Personally, Dirt Rally is the only sim I can enjoy with a pad, but I'm terrible with pads in general.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 19, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

LFS is against other people. Dirt Rally is against other people, though not at the same time on the same track, times are still compared to people.

You play LFS online with a pad and have fun? Your pad Dirt Rally times are one some leaderboard somewhere not in 10 millionth place?

You miss the point. The point is to be competitive against other people you won't be doing it with a pad, unless everyone is using a pad and you're playing a console exclusive. I said, you can play the games just fine. Just don't expect to come online and be competitive.

While you're fighting for control and to correct a slide without overcorrecting, everyone else will be 5 minutes down the road fighting for the lead.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Racing games are cool on a game pad or with a very expensive fake wheel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like to vroom vroom and make the cars go fast.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I played a lot of the first Gran Turismo with a pad when I was teenager. It was fun.

It's a real wheel. It's a wheel for using on a PC to play video games, but there is nothing fake about it. You can get one for under $200. That's not even expensive.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 19, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

I like to vroom vroom and make the cars go fast.

:agreed:

In other news, Stock Car Extreme modding superstar Patrick Giranthon released an updated version of Barcelona yesterday and it's great like all his stuff.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tony Montana posted:

You play LFS online with a pad and have fun? Your pad Dirt Rally times are one some leaderboard somewhere not in 10 millionth place?

You miss the point. The point is to be competitive against other people you won't be doing it with a pad, unless everyone is using a pad and you're playing a console exclusive. I said, you can play the games just fine. Just don't expect to come online and be competitive.

While you're fighting for control and to correct a slide without overcorrecting, everyone else will be 5 minutes down the road fighting for the lead.

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about and come across as some sort of realism elitist. Yes, I am absolutely competitive in LFS, and I have loads of fun online. Of course there's people faster than me (same could be said for anyone here who uses wheel though), but there's far, far more slower than me, wheel drivers included.

When I played Dirt Rally I didn't pay much attention to the world leaderboards, only the goon league, but I won a few of those, and when I didn't I was pretty close.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

You can put up top 20 times in Dirt Rally with a controller; if anything, I'm better with it than my newish wheel (granted, much more playtime with the controller).

The goon races in PCars were also won the majority of the time by controller users I believe.

In theory, yeah, a wheel is better. Silly to think you can't be good or have fun with a controller though in plenty of titles.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Play the cartoon video games however you want IMO.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is the PC sim thread, you will play with an overpriced wheel and make your FoV narrow, and you will enjoy it damnit.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I'm using a 20 dollar Walmart fake Xbox controller that costs less than an oil change in my actual racecar and these games are still fun. :snoop:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sim racing with a gamepad is more realistic than my desert race buggy i'm building IRL. Cant even feel the road and steering feedback is non existent.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anyone have strong opinions on tire models or Ian Bell?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Heres a strong opinion. You should let me drive your cars thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anyone have strong opinions on tire models or Ian Bell?

I now want PCars 2 to have rF2's tire model so Ian Bell's autobiography can be titled Flatspots and Baldspots.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There will be another Assetto Corsa DTM on Sunday, 20:00 GMT. Brands Hatch this time. Unless everybody wants Zandvoort again.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

There will be another Assetto Corsa DTM on Sunday, 20:00 GMT. Brands Hatch this time. Unless everybody wants Zandvoort again.

> : ( zandvoort is the best track ya know.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nah should change it up. Dunno if I'll be able to make this one or not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not PC but this might be of interest, Assetto Corsa's console version is doing the press rounds. That new HUD looks pretty drat nice, though I'm not convinced AC will really survive on consoles if it's the same AC as on PC but without modding. Also they've apparently dropped the maximum car count in offline races to 16 which seems poor when Forza is rocking 24. The console version will also include all the Dream Pack stuff released up to then (so presumably up to DP4) as well. Most of interest to this thread though is probably the Ferrari FXX-K which is presumably gonna be in the next Dream Pack and is the cover car for that game and a built in championship editor is coming to the PC version pretty soon. Also maybe I'm wrong but would this be the first modern console racer to have Ferraris?

I'd also like to have what seems to be the option to start a hotlap session from a little way before the s/f line rather than from the pits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRS-y2LopOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nah Ferrari is in everything except PCARS on console.

The AC subreddit is very concerned about their game being "consolized"

• Locked thread