Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

IN regrowth, what are my options for a fast rail system?

At the moment, blaze rail is by far the cheapest to make, but it is slow as hell. (6 blaze rods and a stick)

Im looking for something like vanilla rail with redstone torches.

(im finding i have to travel now, it will be much easier to build a rail out to where im going and zoom back.)

if the distance is more than 1024 blocks away, use the nether for distance compression

for fast travel i usually used a flugel tiara and the globetrotter's sash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

bigperm posted:

Technic is the easiest.

https://technicpack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199345-How-to-make-a-Minecraft-modpack

Basically you install forge, rename the jar put it in /bin and add your /mods and /config to a zip file. Then you just put that in your public dropbox(or host it somewhere) and tell technic where it is.

Awesome thanks for the response! This'll make it easier than having to explain how to customize the pack.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

I homerolled TC5, JEI, JEIAddons, Iron Chests, WAILA, InventoryTweaks, VeinMiner. If there's anything else I can't think of it offhand (I'm at work so I can't check my folder)

No crashes so far, from WAILA or otherwise, about three hours of gameplay yesterday

If you put anymore mods in then these, let us know. I think Ill try again.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

if the distance is more than 1024 blocks away, use the nether for distance compression

for fast travel i usually used a flugel tiara and the globetrotter's sash

Your going to have to explain nether compression to me.

(though my current portal to the nether sucks. I seem to be on some sort of floating island above a sea of lava, which means no way for me to get out at the moment.)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Every 8 blocks in either x or z direction corresponds to 1 block in the Nether. Thus if you want to move 1024 blocks in the minecraft world proper, you would only need to travel a mere 128 blocks in the Nether.

Of course the nether portal linking is a crazy mess, especially in multiplayer servers. You're better off establishing end nodes in the Nether if you want to come out at the correct portal.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
StealthArcher, I could not PM to ask what dialog you wanted in the Dad Bar, so this is what you're doing:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So apparently OptiFine is pure evil or broken or something like that and I shouldn't use it? But more importantly, it makes Skyblocks and other assorted things flicker horribly, so I think I should get rid of it, despite enjoying the options it gives me to control. The problem is when I don't have it installed, the font I have looks really weird for some reason.

With OptiFine, the text looks like this:

But without OptiFine it looks like this:

This text also applies to WAILA making the popup windows huge, and UI elements, etc.

Is there any way to not have that awful looking font without OptiFine, and also have things like Connected Textures/Natural Textures and so on?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 19, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

So apparently OptiFine is pure evil or broken or something like that and I shouldn't use it? But more importantly, it makes Skyblocks and other assorted things flicker horribly, so I think I should get rid of it, despite enjoying the options it gives me to control. The problem is when I don't have it installed, the font I have looks really weird for some reason.

With OptiFine, the text looks like this:

But without OptiFine it looks like this:

This text also applies to WAILA making the popup windows huge, and UI elements, etc.

Is there any way to not have that awful looking font without OptiFine, and also have things like Connected Textures/Natural Textures/no clouds and so on?

you could try Fastcraft, its supposed to do the same as optifine in performance if not for graphics

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

StealthArcher, I could not PM to ask what dialog you wanted in the Dad Bar, so this is what you're doing:

Dats so loving perfect. :magical:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This makes me moist.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Playstation 4 posted:

This makes me moist.

you should see mine, Rocko is a Star and should work on a new ultra goon modpack for us all to star in.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

you could try Fastcraft, its supposed to do the same as optifine in performance if not for graphics

Already have Fastcraft in the pack, doesn't fix the font though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Black Pants posted:

Already have Fastcraft in the pack, doesn't fix the font though.

Try changing GUI scale in video options. I have it on normal from auto, so much better (on a 24" screen).

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Heres a thing i whipped up in a lazy minute for fellow Thaumcraft 5'ers who are doing research legit:

Oh and, he unfucked the research system. Similar minigame, but each sheet gets its own aspect pool to draw from. Failing just means scrapping that note and making another, refreshing the pool. Failure costs paper and ink, that's it.

This means no searching for research aspects.

No using deconstruction table and praying for ordo.

No loving scanning to know what makes what or combining things to learn how grass works.

Completing research gives XP, which is also spent on certain unlocks, such as the hungry chest. You still need to scan things to make research discoveries, such as Iron Golems for Golemancy.

E: Also heres a list for 1.8.9 if people want to get in on this, search for them on Not Enough Mods.

Alt-F4, extra furnaces that have some features, yet to try it.
ChunkLoaderZ, because theres no alteratives, plus it'll give me incentive to find the 1.8 ocean temples.
Harvest, right click to harvest and replant, simple.
InventoryTweaks
Ironchest
JustEnoughItems, NEI but different. Its good enough but NEI has spoiled me for the cheaty bar on the left.
JEIAddons, Get for Thaumcraft intergration and more.
Journeymap, because its the only map currently.
JustEnoughResources, it adds dungeon loot and all that to JEI.
ProjectE, because its always nice to have a quick way to create rare materials. Make regular save backups!
RoguelikeDungeons, somewhere to stomp around and a place to build Thaumcraft Tristram as your first base is the best.
Thaumcraft.
ThaumicInfusion, yet to try it, but being able to infuse stones to do funky stuff sounds rad.
Veinminer.
Waila.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 19, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Hey Rocko Bonaparte, thank you so much for your modpack. It's been incredibly useful for me and my friends to wrap our heads around the technical mods - I built my first nuclear reactor the other day and it was a great sense of accomplishment :)

I have a problem and I'm not sure whether the problem lies in your modpack specifically, or in the technic launcher or what. Every time I generate a new single-player map in your world, I end up with fragments from the same map I generated on a previous world, complete with map waypoints I'd set in those previous games and everything. Deleting the world doesn't change it - while the area around my fresh spawn is new, I still see death waypoints and whole landmasses from previous worlds. A clean install fixed the problem, until I deleted the world and created a new one, where I had areas from that previous world hanging around again.

Gote
Jan 7, 2010

The Narrator posted:

I have a problem and I'm not sure whether the problem lies in your modpack specifically, or in the technic launcher or what. Every time I generate a new single-player map in your world, I end up with fragments from the same map I generated on a previous world, complete with map waypoints I'd set in those previous games and everything. Deleting the world doesn't change it - while the area around my fresh spawn is new, I still see death waypoints and whole landmasses from previous worlds. A clean install fixed the problem, until I deleted the world and created a new one, where I had areas from that previous world hanging around again.

I think this has to do with the mini-map mod!

I've experienced the same thing when generating worlds with the same name. Instead of removing the entire modpack just removing the saved settings for that (the mini-map mod, journeymap or whatever) should help.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
A few questions about pipes for moving items in FTB: Infinity Evolved:

I did my first experimenting using one of the visible types of pipe that show the items moving through them, but I had some trouble wrangling the connections to chest and machine outputs, and I discovered the EnderIO Item Conduits were so much easier to configure and attach to things. And with speed upgrades they can move serious quantities of items.

Are there any applications where other item pipes outperformed EnderIO Item Conduits - aside from wanting to eyeball the pretty items moving through the pipe?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Gote posted:

I think this has to do with the mini-map mod!

I've experienced the same thing when generating worlds with the same name. Instead of removing the entire modpack just removing the saved settings for that (the mini-map mod, journeymap or whatever) should help.

Yeah, the minimap isn't stored with the world, it's stored elsewhere with the same name as the world. That means if you delete a world and create a new one with the same name it will get confused.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Devor posted:

A few questions about pipes for moving items in FTB: Infinity Evolved:

I did my first experimenting using one of the visible types of pipe that show the items moving through them, but I had some trouble wrangling the connections to chest and machine outputs, and I discovered the EnderIO Item Conduits were so much easier to configure and attach to things. And with speed upgrades they can move serious quantities of items.

Are there any applications where other item pipes outperformed EnderIO Item Conduits - aside from wanting to eyeball the pretty items moving through the pipe?

The Thermal Dynamics ducts are better for performance and some of the features like retrievers have no direct analog with conduits. But with conduits you get the color system so it's really personal choice.

I usually end up using both at some point.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
So apparently I've been making my minecraft forts all wrong, I just discovered this guy and he does videos for vanilla survival stuff, including making mob proof doors and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQWHkUUqVdU

The side videos also show other interesting things for minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Thyrork posted:

Completing research gives XP, which is also spent on certain unlocks, such as the hungry chest. You still need to scan things to make research discoveries, such as Iron Golems for Golemancy.
I actually think this is way worse. Tell me the book at least lets you know what you need to scan, because with hundreds of blocks and entities to sift through, the alternative is sorting through every single scan anyway. Missing scans of certain items -- especially ones I had to make via Thaumcraft anyway -- is what eventually stopped my research progress in Blightfall anyway.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I actually think this is way worse. Tell me the book at least lets you know what you need to scan, because with hundreds of blocks and entities to sift through, the alternative is sorting through every single scan anyway. Missing scans of certain items -- especially ones I had to make via Thaumcraft anyway -- is what eventually stopped my research progress in Blightfall anyway.

I think the only weirdly specific thing you have to scan is the vanilla iron golem (to unlock golems) everything else is just poo poo you'll get around to scanning anyway. For example if you scan one type of wood you've scanned them all because the only pre-requisite is obtaining knowledge of the aspects.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

If you hold the Thaumometer, things that can be scanned have little question marks floating on them. These correspond to one of two things - an aspect (to gain "practical knowledge" of it, which I am not sure what that means, honestly) or a clue to a hidden research (like iron golems and the golemancy tab). You only have to scan a few things, overall.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Serifina posted:

If you hold the Thaumometer, things that can be scanned have little question marks floating on them. These correspond to one of two things - an aspect (to gain "practical knowledge" of it, which I am not sure what that means, honestly) or a clue to a hidden research (like iron golems and the golemancy tab). You only have to scan a few things, overall.

I'd be happy just getting the full list on a wiki somewhere soon, frankly. Odd man out I might be, but modded Minecraft is not a game I play to explore the world and find things; it's to do silly things with people or build machines (Thaumcraft /Botania /etc stuff included) that would make Escher cry tears of blood if he saw them

Other than that though yeah I think the new research system is better, especially considering the reduced/simplified compound aspects making it much easier to just wing it given your supply of primals per note

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Excellent, I will have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the replies.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

I'd be happy just getting the full list on a wiki somewhere soon, frankly. Odd man out I might be, but modded Minecraft is not a game I play to explore the world and find things; it's to do silly things with people or build machines (Thaumcraft /Botania /etc stuff included) that would make Escher cry tears of blood if he saw them

Other than that though yeah I think the new research system is better, especially considering the reduced/simplified compound aspects making it much easier to just wing it given your supply of primals per note

Personally, I'd just like a list of the hidden researches, myself. The rest I don't mind. This is easily the least obnoxious research system yet, and if you find research fragments, they can be used to give extra primal when doing research.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The Narrator posted:

Hey Rocko Bonaparte, thank you so much for your modpack. It's been incredibly useful for me and my friends to wrap our heads around the technical mods - I built my first nuclear reactor the other day and it was a great sense of accomplishment :)

If you go to your Minecraft data folder (usually at C:\Users\JDuril\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft, or wherever your launcher/modpack specifies) you'll see a journeymap folder, in that is another one called data, within which are the folders mp and/or sp (depending if you SSP or SMP). These folders store all the waypoint and saved map data for worlds, so if you're starting anew, it's easier to just delete that folder. That way you won't have to clean install in the future.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

Serifina posted:

Yeah, its a pretty distinctive pattern too. Also scanning is :siren: INSTANT :siren: now.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, so after we installed Dynmap and Sampler, we've been getting lots of TPS and block lag. I'm pretty sure it's dynmap, so I'm wondering if there's any way to reduce its strain on the server any. Also, as of this afternoon, our server has been periodically crashing. Here's a pastebin of the latest crash log. Can someone please help me decipher it and fix the mess?

Also, and this is far less important, we keep getting "[Server thread/WARN]: Skipping Entity with id" in the console. It happens maybe once every minute and a half to two minutes. I only really started noticing it since we installed dynmap/Storage Drawers/Sampler, but might have started after we installed Malisis Doors prior to those other mods. Googling around tells me that something is trying to spawn an entity with a specific ID, but since that entity doesn't exist, it skips it. However, this isn't giving me an ID to follow, so I don't know what to do.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 20, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

The Narrator posted:

Excellent, I will have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the replies.

Works for me. Somehow I missed the post; my newest post bookmark put me past yours. Very odd.

Also, by any chance, are you a dad? :3:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Waypoints are client side and nothing to do with the world, Same with the stored minimaps, the world itself is different. You can always also put your own seed in and get the same map each time

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Actually, I'm pondering that some more. The waypoint thing would probably be pollution from JourneyMap, but junk from previous worlds would be something else. It would be interesting to see too screenshots of this (one from 1 world and the other from another).

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Actually, I'm pondering that some more. The waypoint thing would probably be pollution from JourneyMap, but junk from previous worlds would be something else. It would be interesting to see too screenshots of this (one from 1 world and the other from another).

Journey map stores the map locally on the client side along with the waypoints,

So until the map is updated by visiting said area, the map shows the old layout.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TheresaJayne posted:

Journey map stores the map locally on the client side along with the waypoints,

So until the map is updated by visiting said area, the map shows the old layout.

This. It's why you really need to clear out the JourneyMap data folder client side when starting a world over. It'd be really nice if they had an option in game to just purge the saved map data.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Okay, crafting golems is now loving awesome. It does have more steps involved, but still. :magical:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Thyrork posted:

Okay, crafting golems is now loving awesome. It does have more steps involved, but still. :magical:

:stare: I think it might be time to try that out. Can anyone recommend any solid 1.8 modpacks?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kraven Moorhed posted:

:stare: I think it might be time to try that out. Can anyone recommend any solid 1.8 modpacks?

Check my posts here and make your own in MultiMC. Its very easy now.

Get MultiMC, make a 1.8.9 instance, hit "edit instance", install the latest forge.

Get mods, hit "Instance folder" in MultiMC, Minecraft > Mods folder, drop mods here. Should end up looking like this:

:siren: Be really loving sure you have the right versions! Some download layouts offer you two download buttons and usually the topmost one is for 1.7.10! :siren:

Hit play, should be good. If there's a problem, double check my list vs yours.

And remember, make regular world backups! poo poo's pretty early days right now.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
For Galactic Science, is it worth trying to automate production and distribution of Methyl Methacrylate or should I just stick to sucking up water en masse and pruning off the Hydrogen?

The ratios involved in making the former (5 C, 9 H, 2 O) are more than a little awkward and are giving me SpaceChem flashbacks in how to deal with it efficiently. Needing three Synthesizers (methyl ion, final product, gravel) isn't nice either because I don't have Iron to spare while I'm trying desperately to scrape together enough to build this goddamn rocket, and then I have to make sure the Decomposer can keep up with having to take the logs and then the cellulose.

Logs -> Cellulose -> Base elements (C6:H10:O5) -> some ridiculous sorting system involving barrels, Space Bins and rationing pipes? -> Synth 1 making 3*Methyl, Synth 2 adding C2O2 -> Fuel Storage -> Distribution to Generators -> ALL THE POWER. It's like running a self-sustaining 3x Mekanism setup only 5000 times more irritating.

The thing is that while it's so much more efficient than just burning off Hydrogen, it's such a pain in the rear end when the alternative is so much easier. Four fluid transfer nodes around a 3x3 pool of water with the oxygen venting into Bin 2.0 would work just as well but it feels cheap and dirty.

PS: if I get Paul as a reward one more loving time I'm going to murder them all out of spite, useless vanity self-inserts as rewards are the absolute loving worst.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You're better off automating buckets of lava instead because the production chain does not require power at all. Crucibles over lava and eventually that stupid ore leading into an Ender I/O tank. Feed that with empty buckets, extract full ones and send them to a wall of Stirling generators because Galactic Science likes being a dick about teching up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So uh, is it cheating to get myself a steel pick head solely for that blightfall quest if I make something able to mine stuff it could mine? I mean I ended up making damascus steel and then found platinum so the idea of making the drat thing at this point is a little pointless. Also kind of having a pain trying to work out how to make an invisibility potion for a magic quest in it. Netherwort is required, right?