Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Seriously, that Cutlass commercial was great, and was basically 100% "Things You Can't Do In A Cutlass" except for the part where she got out of it.

I'm not super upset about them saying private servers are the last thing on their minds right now. That kind of makes sense - obviously building the game is gonna take priority, and they never technically said they weren't going to do it.

Similarly, I can see how there's almost no priority to make a Retaliator commercial (and the commercials are really unnecessary tbh), but it was an explicit stretch goal and I think it's important to note that instead of saying "later" they are (for the first time, to my knowledge) "No. We're flat out not doing that."

Ben just replied via Twitter and as usual doing damage control lol

gently caress you Ben, you cholesterol laden pig poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Chin posted:

That's thirty jpegs a second for multiple minutes! Why would you want to just throw 3600 jpegs on Youtube when you could sell them each for hundreds of dollars?!

You are not the best saleswoman alive you are not qualified to cast aspersions.

Nah, I suppose I just remember their modus operandi as to .jpegs from the previous years and, you're right, they'll just stick to this simple baseline from now on since by now they're likely to gently caress up anything more complex than a still .jpeg. It's not like it won't still bring them in several million dollars more lol...

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not super upset about them saying private servers are the last thing on their minds right now. That kind of makes sense - obviously building the game is gonna take priority, and they never technically said they weren't going to do it.

I'm upset about it because this is the number one reason Elite: Dangerous backers started bitching and moaning about that game. A private server is completely impractical and stupid for a game of this magnitude, but the E:D team just straight up said this and everyone poo poo on them, CIG have the audacity to claim it's not being scrapped, it's simply "delayed until an undisclosed point in the future post release, prior to which they won't have looked at or even thought about how it would work" and these idiots lap it up.

It's been canned and CIG get away with it because they blatantly lie about it and their fans are too stupid to realise it.

It's loving infuriating.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ben started doing damage control about the cancelled commercial yesterday on twitter:

"Yeah, I think that's the case. Retaliator commercial is just waiting for cinematics assets to free up from SQ42."

Is it cancelled? Is it delayed? Nobody knows! Gosh, isn't games development exciting?

e: There's always somebody a step ahead of me!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Ben started doing damage control about the cancelled commercial yesterday on twitter:

"Yeah, I think that's the case. Retaliator commercial is just waiting for cinematics assets to free up from SQ42."

Is it cancelled? Is it delayed? Nobody knows! Gosh, isn't games development exciting?

e: There's always somebody a step ahead of me!

Haha "cinematics assets"

Tell the truth Ben you ate that loving commercial

Just printed it frame for frame and put it on a mound of pizzas

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
thanks ben

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314106/customer-service-is-it-a-joke

Both $500-$999

Is CIG just completely asleep at the wheel right now? This is all happening on the general board at RSI. I mean, I'd at least expect alot more Lesnick and Huckaby damage control posts at this point. It's getting out of control.

The fact that high dollar customers airing legitimate complaints and not being immediately shut down really does amount to things "getting out of control" at CIG is absolutely hilarious.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm loving the ways CIG seems to be operating as if it were a small indie studio, like they can't afford to have a real CS team, and needs to wait to "free up assets" in order to reach a promised stretch goal or put work into the ships which people spent real money on.

Meanwhile they construct a new LA studio with boutique furniture + mocap playpen for chris for [reasons].

Then die-hards defend their actions by saying they are good at prioritizing.

:psyduck:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Seriously, that Cutlass commercial was great, and was basically 100% "Things You Can't Do In A Cutlass" except for the part where she got out of it.

Even the exit part was false advertising. She was neither ejected via the turret at 1000 m/s speed or fell trough the floor on exit, both standard and recommended Cutlass egress methods.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Is CIG just completely asleep at the wheel right now? This is all happening on the general board at RSI. I mean, I'd at least expect alot more Lesnick and Huckaby damage control posts at this point. It's getting out of control.

Sounds like another Derek Smart alt trying to prove that Chelsea was somehow superior to the finely oiled CS machine that Sandi is running when not off site trying to land acting gigs.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

The fact that high dollar customers airing legitimate complaints and not being immediately shut down really does amount to things "getting out of control" at CIG is absolutely hilarious.

Makes me wonder how much of the impetus to control internet opinion is coming from Sandi, who's loving around on the other side of the planet atm.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

Have to wonder how someone who spunked 10K at this project feels when CS can't be bothered to respond to them for weeks and a morbidly obese man tells them off and closes their thread when they complain on the forums.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Beet Wagon posted:

Seriously? Like, the assets can only be used by one person one at a time or something? What the gently caress, that's his excuse? :psyduck:

Or are we talking physical models or something? That's the only way it'd make sense. Just loving copy paste and boom, you have duplicate assets, hand them out to everyone, done.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Berious posted:

Have to wonder how someone who spunked 10K at this project feels when CS can't be bothered to respond to them for weeks and a morbidly obese man tells them off and closes their thread when they complain on the forums.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

KiddieGrinder posted:

Seriously? Like, the assets can only be used by one person one at a time or something? What the gently caress, that's his excuse? :psyduck:

Or are we talking physical models or something? That's the only way it'd make sense. Just loving copy paste and boom, you have duplicate assets, hand them out to everyone, done.

In CIG terminology, the assets refer to staff, and the 3d models are the merchandise

hope this clears it up /loaf

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

[$5000-$9999]

almost there....

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

KiddieGrinder posted:

My guess is he's trying to push more at the "We only have so many guys who can make cinematics" argument, which is hilarious because that's only like the second worst way to respond to the question.

Ben, if you're reading this, here's what you post:

"Yes, there WILL be a Retaliator commercial. Right now though, we're really dedicated to getting Squadron 42 complete and ready for release. We want to make sure that having a good game that is fun to play is the number one priority at Cloud Imperium. Commercials, private servers, and all the other extras are coming, but not right now.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

well they got their $1 $10 misprinted whale cards to masturbate to so I bet they're peachy

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

KiddieGrinder posted:

That overgrown boar is talking about people as assets

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Speaking of CS I love their excuse for the eternal slowness that they've totally recruited a bunch of people but it takes so long to train them. I've done these poo poo jobs before, the vast majority of queries are simple poo poo someone can work through a script to solve. You can get someone up to speed and useful doing that in a week. If they can't handle something they can send it up the chain. We're not even talking phone support where you piss customers off by handing their case around, there is really no excuse except we have your money already so gently caress you.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

AP posted:

First full stretch goal dropped?

I'm sure there will be plenty more. Karl this is your fault, you only give them $5000.

They're been working on that commerical for 18 months.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hey, when you have 36 different clothing manufacturers in the Verse...some sacrifices need to be made.

Hopefully they have a Big and Tall store.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hey, when you have 36 different clothing manufacturers in the Verse...some sacrifices need to be made.

Hopefully they have a Big and Tall store.

Wonder if all that clothing will be bland and boring like everything else.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

Which seems to let them off the hook for the odd things that come up like the child's t-shirt because VAT is complicated.

It's not that complicated, it's just that people tie themselves in knots trying to understand where it's applied, or how it's taken. Disclosure: I used to do VAT returns for a raft of companies.

It looks like single use prepaid cards (ie telephone cards) were VAT exempt, while pre-paid credit (general purpose) cards are covered by VAT. This makes sense because the telephone cards are locked to a vendor, whereas general purpose cards could be used a multiple vendors. Any card issued by CiG in the EU would be VAT exempt because it would only be usable with CiG.

Because I like to source my poo poo - http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=6bf19906-997b-4ea8-a320-a21f0fb98dd2

VAT should be applied to any sale made in the EU where applicable, It is entirely possible to pay VAT twice, but it will only appear in the accounting of the vendor once. it's literally a _passthru_ in terms that your taxable amount is the amount of VAT collected minus any VAT paid. Note that paying VAT twice is not evidence of malfeasance; fuckups happen all the time, and I've stared down a 10,000 GBP VAT bill because I hosed up the sourcing of a vacuum pump; Again her madge's revenue men are far more interested in money than punitive action.

If you've never seen a VAT form, there are five large boxes where you show this working out; Americans, go check them out, British forms have been through many revisions so that loving grocers can fill them out and come with explanatory booklets.

Any shortfall in the numbers has to be made up by the vendor, do not collect $200, do not pass go.

The legal portions of the transaction in the EU is that they _MUST_ show the taxation split on the receipt/invoice. This is then passed down the line, so if a company buys a VAT'd good, they'll show that they've paid in their accounts, and it comes out of their VAT return. This is a _requirement_ that was originally applied to the Sale of Goods Act in the UK.

EightAce posted:

You are dead right with this . BUT , I don't think that even CIG are stupid enough to gently caress with the VAT man in the uk. They are worse than the IRS stateside and people do some lengthy prison terms for fiddling VAT. Many such cases went to court last year and the perpetrators are now looking at 5 year jail terms minimum.

That was for outright fraud. They're more lenient unless you have history with them, and you have to not pay their demands for quite a while to get the hammer brought down.

MeLKoR posted:

You just don't notice this in the EU because both cards and ships already have VAT included so the ship would be quoted at $1200 and not $1000.

They should be splitting that out. if you have a receipt from CiG, it should clearly state the tax paid. If it doesn't, then they're in contravention of EU sales law.

Libluini posted:

For gently caress's sake giftcards aren't taxable, there's no VAT for cards. :mad:

General purpose cards have been taxed since 2012. pre-paid single use cards have not been.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't imagine anyone here is really upset about it. I'm a bit flabbergasted that they are still taking 10$ preorders for the manual on modding the private servers though.

Beet Wagon posted:

My guess is he's trying to push more at the "We only have so many guys who can make cinematics" argument, which is hilarious because that's only like the second worst way to respond to the question.

It's also more hilarious when you remember that if it doesn't come from Croberts, it's opinion not fact. So Ben's totally delaying non-answer is actually completely pointless as he has no authority to answer anything. I wonder when the brown sea will remember that.

That statement... In a "proper" world that statement would be a CS nightmare since your community team can no longer accurately provide information to your customers.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 19, 2016

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

I Greyhound posted:

They're been working on that commerical for 18 months.

And every month that goes by, a new space game doing at least one thing SC promised better crop up...

I bet an small-average sized indie studio could release a simple and fun "hommage to wing commander" game with animated (or slide) cutscenes before SQ42 get in public beta.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Matlock Birthmark posted:

That statement in a "proper" world that statement would be a CS nightmare since your community team can no longer accurately provide information to your customers.

Makes me wonder how in the world he was even allowed to make that statement. Imagine if the CEO of Verizon went public saying "nothing anyone in this company says means anything unless it's me - my word is good, nobody else's is" - how the gently caress do you run a business then? If every single client-facing interaction is immediately declared suspect and invalid by the CEO?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's also more hilarious when you remember that if it doesn't come from Croberts, it's opinion not fact. So Ben's totally delaying non-answer is actually completely pointless as he has no authority to answer anything. I wonder when the brown sea will remember that.

God drat, I had forgotten about that part! That's loving hilarious. Good job Chris, way to neuter the entire team of people you pay SPECIFICALLY to stop poo poo like this from spiraling out of control.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

lmao I was just going to post that.

Refresh that thread and read "Gagrin"'s post in regards to a "certain group".

There were so few goons that it didn't make any difference when we bailed out but simultaneously there were so many goon refund requests that we've brought CS to it's knees for 6 months now.

Also

these people are going to get everything they deserve and I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Daztek posted:

Expect a lot of grey, white and black. Also "tacticool" features, like someone who dress at a military surplus store. Unless they get a few real clothes designer (and listen to them) and maybe some women to remind the guys that there are more colors in the 'verse than what you can observe on car models.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 19, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

Jackets and trenchcoats for the guys. Shiny space spandex for the girls.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I asked Ben if that meant the commercial would be out before or after Star Marine.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

There were so few goons that it didn't make any difference when we bailed out but simultaneously there were so many goon refund requests that we've brought CS to it's knees for 6 months now.

Also

these people are going to get everything they deserve and I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh.

Lmao

Yeti is advocating ignoring CS tickets

Thank you guy who has never worked a ticket queue ever

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you can't even look at a ticket a ticket for days something is wrong

The process is broke
Something with your service is broke
Your management is broke

It's not a good process for tickets to sit

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That statement... In a "proper" world that statement would be a CS nightmare since your community team can no longer accurately provide information to your customers.

Well the community team flat out said to stop asking them design questions last week, so I guess we're already there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just imagining ignoring a client ticket for days and then being like, well

It wasn't important so I wanted to let it sit and see if it was still an issue

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Eonwe posted:

If you can't even look at a ticket a ticket for days something is wrong

The process is broke
Something with your service is broke
Your management is broke

It's not a good process for tickets to sit

Maybe they just need a little encouragement.

Hey CIG: Feel free to use this!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Duckaerobics posted:

I watched someone try to stream star citizen the other day for a little bit and they had a pretty horrible time trying to get one ship inside of another. I'm not going to watch the whole thing but I clicked around a bit and he spends pretty much the whole 3 hour stream trying to break the wings off his spaceship and then fly into the loading bay of some other ship. Around 2hrs 40min he almost gets it then the physics freakout and he looks pretty sad.

It looks like the collision boxes do change, but everything is too jittery for things to interact that closely. I have no idea how they are going to get any sort of carrier ship working.

The Star Citizen Experience: Feel the Immersion

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde

Hahaha, UEENR! That sounds like weiner if you say it out loud.

...that is the joke, right? They did that on purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MeLKoR posted:

Also

Great policy, let's not respond to a ticket in 3-4 weeks.

poo poo, when I get a different car and need it insured my State Farm agent should ignore me to make sure it was a valid request. Of course I don't have LTI on my car.

When you combine all this poo poo together just from the few tidbits coming out today, you just can't help but laugh. But unfortunately a couple others are laughing all the way to the bank.

• Locked thread