Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair when has a customer team won the championship?

Brawn in 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brawn... gently caress beaten. :smith:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well, I think brawn got the A spec engine because Mercedes were planning on taking them over and Toto was in the background trying to make it an appealing option to the mother ship, it also explains Shumacher's "neck injury" if he was already in talks with him and why the McLaren was so poor.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I think people are very much forgetting that the Honda engine really is a loving beast. The problem is McLaren have a loving beast of a chassis, but the two just do not marry and that's where the problem has been, especially with the rules and regulations locking up any kind of development. I think Damon is pretty much spot on. People may not like him here but his whole life has been about racing, I think he knows more about the quality of certain engine manufactures than you or myself.

It may very well be yes, it may very well rofflestomp everything else next year. The point is that Ron absolutely will not have gone though the pain of losing all those sponsors and being the joke team of 2015 without an iron clad guarantee that they won't turn around and sell the engine to someone else when it's fixed, and have them reap any of the rewards. It's the whole point of them going "works" in the first place. Him not grasping this very fundamental concept and thinking he has the right to spout this very wrong opinion to the person running the team does indicate that he's really loving stupid and does not, in fact, know diddly poo poo about how the engineering and politics side of formula 1 works.

edit: If Williams really want to win then it's time to start making calls to their old friends at ford or make some new ones who know how to build them an engine no one else has.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 18, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Do you seriously think a driver who was in the paddock (and still is) a very long time doesn't know how the politics of F1 works? You can't even get a drive in F1 without understanding and playing the politics.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

brawn was the flukiest of flukes, not that they didn't deserve it but the brilliance of the double diffuser outweighed literally all logic. and yeah red bull won as a customer when renault's disinterest erased the distinction between the manufacturer and customer teams. so really no one has won as a customer since like the cosworth dfv was being raced by virtually everyone.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I think people are very much forgetting that the Honda engine really is a loving beast. The problem is McLaren have a loving beast of a chassis, but the two just do not marry and that's where the problem has been, especially with the rules and regulations locking up any kind of development. I think Damon is pretty much spot on. People may not like him here but his whole life has been about racing, I think he knows more about the quality of certain engine manufactures than you or myself.

this is phenomenally retarded, the honda engine is not a beast, the actual internal combustion engine is around ferrari's level but it's irrelevant because the turbo and the hybrid are functionally useless. to suggest that it's a great engine that is somehow just doesn't work well with the mclaren chassis is the single dumbest suggestion that this thread has ever generated.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
'95 was an odd one, Benetton only had the Renault engines because of Flavio buying out Ligier's Renault contract and Williams were pretty much the Renault factory team then.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Williams-BMW 2017. Let's make this happen.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Funzo posted:

Williams-BMW 2017. Let's make this happen.

Hell yeah. Shame it's a pipe dream though. I'd be surprised if there's anybody except merc and Ferrari providing engines next year unless something radical changes.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

'95 was an odd one, Benetton only had the Renault engines because of Flavio buying out Ligier's Renault contract and Williams were pretty much the Renault factory team then.

With regards to Ligier I never understood the Suzuki/Brundle arrangement. Also that move really hosed over Minardi.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

brawn was the flukiest of flukes, not that they didn't deserve it but the brilliance of the double diffuser outweighed literally all logic. and yeah red bull won as a customer when renault's disinterest erased the distinction between the manufacturer and customer teams. so really no one has won as a customer since like the cosworth dfv was being raced by virtually everyone.

Nobody seems to mention that the Brawn was a Honda.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No.....

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Brawn is a human

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He's more machine than man now

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

nsaP posted:

He's more machine than man now

A fishing machine

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nobody seems to mention that the Brawn was a Honda.

Except the engine was from Mercedes and was virtually thrown in at the last moment.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
1) There was no Merc fac team when Brawn won
2) Mclaren vs Merc 2010-2012

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Shimrod posted:

Do you seriously think a driver who was in the paddock (and still is) a very long time doesn't know how the politics of F1 works? You can't even get a drive in F1 without understanding and playing the politics.

Williams, 1st place. --------> Arrows, 12th place.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Except the engine was from Mercedes and was virtually thrown in at the last moment.

The double-diffuser concept was from Honda and, specifically, Super Aguri :psyduck:

And Hill didn't exactly go jump to Arrows, he's a victim of Williams and Head's philosophy that the driver is an exchangeable part that can also be updated, improved and negotiated the price or much like your carbon supplier. They treated drivers like engine contracts. Hill wanted more money, the team disagreed. His option was Arrows.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

learnincurve posted:

“I sort of suggested to Claire [Williams] last year that the problem is they have the same engine as the Mercedes team and that is always going to be a barrier between them winning a championship and Mercedes themselves winning a championship," he told Sky Sports F1.

"I think as a team wanting to win the outright championship strategically they would be better off with another engine and I think the only other engine you can think of is a Honda.

"I would have liked to have seen Williams opt to go with the Honda engine, I think Honda are going to fight back.”

Damon Hill Ladies and Gentlemen.

I'm not sure which I like best, the fact that he felt the need to mansplain things to Our Clare, or the fact that he hasn't grasped the fact that McLaren will have it written in stone that they are the A team and any other customers will get second best kit, so Williams would be in exactly the same position that they are in now but with an engine which explodes more.

mansplain

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

He seems like the kind of chap who would say "good girl" when told "well thank you for your opinion Damon, I will bear that in mind" by the director of a multinational company with several degrees.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

The double-diffuser concept was from Honda and, specifically, Super Aguri :psyduck:

And Hill didn't exactly go jump to Arrows, he's a victim of Williams and Head's philosophy that the driver is an exchangeable part that can also be updated, improved and negotiated the price or much like your carbon supplier. They treated drivers like engine contracts. Hill wanted more money, the team disagreed. His option was Arrows.

And the very fact his option was Arrows rather proves they were right.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dudley posted:

And the very fact his option was Arrows rather proves they were right.

Best second place finish ever.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

darth cookie posted:

Hell yeah. Shame it's a pipe dream though. I'd be surprised if there's anybody except merc and Ferrari providing engines next year unless something radical changes.

wait, what?

what happened to this thread

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Stop bickering about the world's greatest WDC you lot, channel 4 just released their list of live races:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/01/channel-4-chooses-live-2016-formula-1-races-silverstone-tops-the-bill/

quote:

Bahrain – 1-3 April (4.00pm)
Spain – 13-15 May (1.00pm)
Europe (Azerbaijan) – 17-19 June (Start time TBC)
Britain – 8-10 July (1.00pm)
Hungary – 22-24 July (1.00pm)
Belgium – 26-28 August (1.00pm)
Italy – 2-4 September (1.00pm)
Malaysia – 30 September-2 October (8.00am)
Mexico – 28-30 October (7.00pm)
Abu Dhabi – 25-27 November (1.00pm)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
EUROPE BRACKETS NOT IN EUROPE BRACKET

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

enri posted:

Stop bickering about the world's greatest WDC you lot, channel 4 just released their list of live races:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/01/channel-4-chooses-live-2016-formula-1-races-silverstone-tops-the-bill/

No Austrailia no sale.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does the BBC still get to do their condensed replays of races later in the day?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nope. C4 get the highlights as well.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Riso posted:

Best second place finish ever.

Wasn't it like a 30 cent part that failed?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Funzo posted:

Does the BBC still get to do their condensed replays of races later in the day?

Channel 4 have literally bought the BBC's contract from them. Or rather been handed it because the BBC didn't want to pay for it anymore.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

F1 might be dumb but at least we're not NASCAR:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

gret posted:

I, thankfully, know gently caress all about Nascar but is this basically the equivalent of F1 going "every 20 minutes, if there hasn't been a safety car, we bring one out for no reason just to artificially bunch up the pack" ?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
That's exactly what it is.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

gret posted:

hahaha why do people watch this poo poo

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What the gently caress? That can't be real.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
A sport so boring that after 20 minutes if nothing happens they make something happen.

That makes golf and American football look exciting in comparison.

I wonder which races will have people walking on the track during it? There should be betting for that.

Xenoid fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 19, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Are they doing that in Sprint Cup, too? I know I saw one competition caution at MIS at lap 20 (won tickets to the race, never been to a NASCAR race before, they let me bring in a cooler of booze and it was rad even if the race sucked), but that infographic is for NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES which is the best name for an American truck racing competition ever.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

gret posted:

LOL, at least they're being honest about it now rather than throwing 'competition yellows' for 'safety reasons'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

NtotheTC posted:

I, thankfully, know gently caress all about Nascar but is this basically the equivalent of F1 going "every 20 minutes, if there hasn't been a safety car, we bring one out for no reason just to artificially bunch up the pack" ?

Not it means if there has not been a safety car, we bring one out for no reason other than commercials and sponsors

• Locked thread