Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

My opinion on Torchwood is that every Doctor Who fan needs to watch it, just to know what they're talking about when they say the show had some really stupid ideas in those first two series.

I tried and it was okay until Cyberwoman. Halfway through the episode I was way too embarrassed and turned it off. I think they took it off Netflix not long after and never went back.

On the other hand, I decided to work through the OP's recommendations of classic episodes. I started with Revelation of the Daleks because Six always interested me as a Doctor and I actually really enjoyed it! A lot of the banter between Perri and Six was really fun and got some decent laughs out of me. The cliffhanger at the end of part 1 was hilarious. Maybe it was me expecting a "oh no! Daleks!" only to be greeted with a huge carving of Six falling on top of him.

I was a little surprised at the level of violence in the episode too. So many shootings and stabbings and Davros had his hand shot off. Green blood and all!

I really do enjoy just how cranky and arrogant Six is. Its something I enjoy with Twelve and with Six its maxed out.

Unsure what episode I'll do next but drat I'm looking forward to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The one with Mengelelizard, who the Doctor praises and buddies up with.

Vivisects people.

You know.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Seriously did you write something, burkion? because this is what showed up on my screen

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

The one with Mengelelizard, who the Doctor praises and buddies up with.

Vivisects people.

You know.

No...no that isn't ringing a bell, sorry

i think you must be mistaken, burkion. oh, wait, you're thinking of that Three story, right? yeah, i heard about that one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

No...no that isn't ringing a bell, sorry

i think you must be mistaken, burkion. oh, wait, you're thinking of that Three story, right? yeah, i heard about that one

No, no, it's that one with the Smith who played the Doctor not the Doctor who pretended to be a Smith, and there was the red head. Liz wasn't a red head!

You should know better than that.

Also you're seriously rocking the blue forums background? Whatever man you do you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Short Synopsis: Some smug assholes learn what a smug rear end in a top hat REALLY is.

Long Synopsis: River Song is pulled out of secluded academia for what turns out to be an audition to join the "Rulers of the Universe". A party, drugs, manipulation and death follow as River hunts down a mystery from the dawn of time, all while doing her best to keep the 8th Doctor alive without actually meeting him.

What's Good:
  • River Song as leading character. Alex Kingston's River Song is not exactly what you'd call a companion, but she's never quite been the lead character in any of her prior appearances on Doctor Who. This story would succeed or fail on her ability to carry the story as the lead, and she does an excellent job of it. Wisely held back during the establishing elements of the story, River is only spoken of by other characters with zero knowledge of her deeper backstory. She's taken an academic role in the early 20th Century, locked away in her office and rather smugly looked down upon by the other staff as a bookworm with no field experience. This early misunderstanding of who and what River is actually serves as a microcosm of the greater story and perhaps a meta-commentary of the real world - people continually underestimate River, make assumptions about her, think they have her figured out etc.... and she ALWAYS surprises them or reveals depths they didn't know were there. River is uninterested in an offer to be the first to enter a newly discovered (and untouched) tomb until she learns that a young woman has disappeared inside and immediately sets off to investigate the mystery. River's concern for victims (particularly female victims) comes up a couple times in the story and is a good humanizing element that helps sand off the edges of her often criticized smugness/superiority. But whether she is investigating, reacting, figuring things out, or best of all raining down vengeance on her enemies, Kingston just embraces the role wholeheartedly. Only one other actor has ever played River Song for any length of time and she sadly lacked the natural charisma and learned experience to pull off the fine balancing act between infuriatingly smug and confident self-assurance. Kingston gets it though, she makes River Song work, and in this the first Song story NOT written by Moffat, she proves once again that she completely owns this character and can more than shoulder the weight of being the lead actor.

• Paul McGann as special guest. Teased throughout the story, McGann doesn't show up till the last story but from the moment he arrives he's a show-stealer. Bringing him on so late is a good idea because the scene is set, we're familiar with the new characters, their schemes and scams and plans, and so we don't have to waste any time getting to grips with them and can just enjoy the way the Doctor interacts with them. He's excellent of course, McGann has been arguably the second biggest beneficiary of Big Finish's production of licensed audios (the biggest being Colin Baker, of course) and by now he's more than figured out his character and how to play him. He steps onto the scene bemused at first and quickly judgmental, and even quicker finds himself in over his head and left hanging to solve in a few minutes a problem that has stymied geniuses with near unlimited resources. He needs help to get himself out, but not in a way that makes him look foolish and incompetent - River's assistance is based on her experiences and experimentation across the previous three stories, and once he's up to speed he very quickly pulls off some amazing stuff that impresses her - especially considering how relatively young and inexperienced he is to her. The chemistry between the two (even though they never meet) is fantastic, amazing considering they've never worked together before AND he's a Doctor who exists several regenerations before their "first" meeting. Best of all though is River's pained and furious condemnation of one of the other supporting characters when she realizes what Doctor she is dealing with. Her admonition that this particular Doctor is naive and innocent isn't meant as a condemnation, but rather a desperate hope to preserve and protect that. This is the Doctor who saw the Time War begin and refused to let it change him as a person. It battered his heart but he never gave up, and River's fury that this sweet version of the Doctor has been thrust into this entirely NOT innocent situation feels earned and worthy. Plus they don't give him amnesia to get around not being able to meet!

• The Time War creeping in on the edges. The Time War was time-locked, all the events still happened but were now contained/separated from the rest of the universe that they almost destroyed. It was considered a massive thing when Dalek Sec was able to punch through the Time Lock to rescue Davros from the jaws of the Nightmare Child, and that drove Sec completely loving mad. Nothing "before" or "after" this multi-dimensional/temporal clusterfuck could enter it, Gallifrey was gone forever, it was a completely separate thing. But ever since The Day of the Doctor revealed that the Doctor actually found a third way and saved Gallifrey, things have begun to slightly "leak", helped probably by the fact the locked-away Gallifrey found the scars of the Cracks in Time/Space from season 5 and selectively reopened them in order to return to the universe in The Time of the Doctor. What this means is that River - an explicitly post-Time War character - finds herself dragged into the periphery of the Time War, by war profiteers "contemporary" to that reality-altering war who have no idea of the implications of their desire to get involved. Capable of extremely sophisticated technical feats purely by dint of their vast commercial resources, it's like children playing in a car (or that old sci-fi standby, the "Toys of the Gods"), they have no idea how dangerous what they are doing actually is, and are arrogantly, smugly convinced that they're in complete control. They would never have been able to invite/communicate with River if the Time Lock was still complete, but there is enough leeway now to allow things like this to happen, and even just on the periphery we get a sense of just how hosed up being involved would have been. Even the Doctor is shocked, the Seed Ships that are forever in the background of the story are the devices of a long-dead race from the dawn of time that now never went extinct because of some unforeseen consequence of the Time War, and their return to the present sees them desiring to wipe out what they now see as a defunct timeline - they now exist, so how can the reality where they did NOT exist.... exist!?! So they set about to correct that by killing EVERYTHING, figuring that either the Time Lords or the Daleks will be impressed enough to recruit them into the war and give them a place in whatever post-war landscape there is. This is the kind of story I thought was probably the best way to tackle a subject as nutso as the Time War, show things on the periphery, suggest the enormity of what is going on but explore more intimate stories about specific characters and how they deal with things. That is a major strength of this story, it's a Time War story where the Time War is brought up and serves the narrative without dominating it. Getting to see River moving around the edges of that big black hole of a concept that RTD used to such great effect to mark the cut-off between revival and classic series worked really well for me.

• The individual/the whole. Each individual story stands alone as its own thing, while also serving the greater narrative across all four AND important character development and themes that get called back to/built upon. The Boundless Sea on the surface is a creepy story about a mummy/vampire that sucks the water from its victims, infecting them in the process. But it is also a story about how women are used, treated as property, have their agency removed etc by those who are either well-intentioned or sneeringly mysognistic - the parallels to River's own youth are clear (and spelled out rather plainly) but that in turn allows River to speak from a level of authority that a character like the Doctor wouldn't have, helping separate her somewhat from this just being a Doctor Who story with a find/replace of "River" replacing "Doctor". I Went To A Marvelous Party allows for a bit of a murder/mystery which River promptly ignores to investigate the issues that actually matter to her, both on the individual and universal level - her casual revelation that she solved the mystery within a few moments and just didn't tell anybody because it gave her the freedom to explore around a bit is a marvelous moment. Signs is familiar in that it treads ground seen in plenty of sci-fi (And Doctor Who stories in the past), including Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy's Project: Lazarus, but does it very competently. It serves to prove the stubborn and anarchistic streak of River can't be controlled/managed no matter how convinced the other person is of the strength of their own position. The Rulers of the Universe allows River to unleash that oft-repeated/little-seen "psychopath" trait of hers, as she reveals the :stare:-worthy extent of her revenge against the so-called Rulers before regaining her composure and doing an excellent remote double-act with the 8th Doctor. When she lays out exactly how she took her revenge, it works better than anything Moffat has written so far to show how clever/dangerous she can be. I don't mean that as a knock on Moffat, I mean it as a compliment to Matt Fitton - I will be very interested to see how he handles the first Tenth Doctor Adventures story.

What's Not:
  • River as Doctor-lite. Unfortunately, while efforts are made to make this a uniquely River-story, large sections do feel very much like they could have simply been written with any number of Doctors in mind. Yes she brings a unique perspective to the role, and there are points where she gives impassioned speeches (such as her discovery that the 8th Doctor is present in the situation) based very much on a perspective/experience the Doctor has not had.... but at the heart of it all we have a story that feels for the first 50-75% like a generic if solid Doctor Who audio. Given this is a first go at the character as her own lead, and that previously she'd only been written by Moffat, there is some leeway to be given. But if future stories don't shake this off and go for more of the slightly hosed-up but compelling elements present in The Rulers of the Universe it will be a missed opportunity. That said, at least they didn't just grab some old Bernice Summerfield scripts and change her name to River.

• The mundane "Rulers of the Universe". Given the Time War, the Doctor, River herself, and all the baggage (good and bad) that comes with all that, the "Rulers" of the Universe are really rather pathetic. That's kind of the point, but there is no real sense of how or why they'd managed to get into the position of power they'd supposedly attained and it is difficult to take them at all seriously. These are very much rich socialites who use their vast resources to amass the technology and expertise to do what they want with no idea how absolutely any of it actually works. Individual characters are interesting if slimy and loathsome people, but they are very much delving deeply into squalid and inconsequential politicking while simultaneously supposedly operating a massive, galaxies spanning economic empire. Having them attempt to then ingratiate themselves with the Time Lords (and if not them, the Daleks :stare:) is akin to a rich kid who plays little league declaring he wants to get picked for the top NFL team. There is a kind of bait & switch in that very late in the game the "real" Rulers of the Universe show up and are far more dangerous and deadly, but while frequently referenced they don't show up till the story is almost over and there really isn't time to get to know them or to really care about what they're doing or be concerned about their plots. When an ultimate universe-ending threat shows up at the 95% mark of a story, you know it is highly unlikely that they're not going to be almost immediately defeated.

• Minor continuity fluffs. It's just a few little things, but there are minor fluffs like the writers not remembering that River isn't supposed to have her Sonic Screwdriver yet. Technically speaking you could argue that maybe this takes place sometime between The Husbands of River Song and Silence in the Library, except they explicitly have her use her Sonic Trough earlier in the story and then have her use the Sonic Screwdriver later. The trough is very much a device River uses to compensate for not having the Sonic Screwdriver, so it's like they just accidentally wrote Screwdriver instead through muscle memory (or the actor said it automatically instead of reading what was written). An editor or director should have picked that up.

Final Thoughts:

The Diary of River Song is a well-executed effort to bring revival-era character River Song into the Big Finish universe, helped by the linking character of the 8th Doctor who has always sat somewhere between Classic and Revival series. Kingston easily carries the lead, and her chemistry with Paul McGann is excellent and makes me eager to hear them "team" up again. Each individual section stands alone but everything works as a whole too, and it makes probably the best use of the Time War so far in a story. The bad guys are a little underwhelming, or at least not really on the same level as the playing field they want to be on, but individual characters have a good dynamic with River - particularly Bertie Potts, played by Alexander Vlahos. Sadly Alexander Siddig feels underutilized, he doesn't really stand out in any way from the other supporting cast. Though Paul McGann features heavily in the fourth story, this is very much the Alex Kingston show, and that really tells you everything you need to know. If you don't like how she portrays River Song on television you probably won't like this either, and if you do like her you're going to get a lot more of what works there. This is worth checking out if only for the novelty of seeing River written by somebody other than Moffat though, as well as seeing her playing around in a non-revival setting. On the strength of this story, I'd love to see her with the War Doctor, and especially any of the classic series Doctors doing Big Finish. Basically, I want to hear River interacting with various different Doctors.... hell, I'd love to hear a version of her "meeting" with the 1st Doctor mentioned in the otherwise awful Eternity Clock videogame, where he catches her snooping around the scrapyard and chases her off! Basically, give me more River Song, because this was good stuff and a fun listen, and I'm all for that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 9, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Toxxupation posted:

i thought you were a bad person, who thought midnight, was good

Midnight is one of the best episodes of Tennant's tenure as the Doctor.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Midnight is good and I don't like it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It really irks me that Paul McGann is front and centre on the cover of the first River Song boxset. Yes River is there, but she's off to one side. On the cover of her own series.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm halfway through the box set now and I agree with your thoughts, Jerusalem. I'm definitely enjoying River Song as played by Alex Kingston as opposed to River Song as written by Steven Moffat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

Long post, because I have so little time for posting anymore, so I have to post all at once:

For Big Finish folks:

I think I am at the point where I have to recommend avoiding Companion Chronicles with Leela. The frame story, which is depressingly Lidsteresque, has become more and more prominent until it basically eclipses the actual adventures of Leela and Four.

Just avoid anything written by Nigel Fairs. That man is incapable of doing anything "happy" or "lighthearted". The Tomorrow People, Sapphire & Steel, etc. Everything is just misery upon misery.

Also, he's their worst composer, too. While others like Briggs, Howard Carter, Jamie Robertson, and others always come up with something new and fresh, he just recycles the same music cues over and over again. I was listening to BF's Wizard of Oz adaptation, and I started to hear the same pan flute tune that I had heard in several TP and S&S, and when I looked in the liner notes, yep, "Music by Nigel Fairs".

I think the only reason they keep him around is because Louise Jameson loves him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i ended up watching the eleventh hour again today, for like the tenth time now

that episode is so goddamn perfect, man gently caress

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cabinet posted:

I tried and it was okay until Cyberwoman. Halfway through the episode I was way too embarrassed and turned it off. I think they took it off Netflix not long after and never went back.

It is very probably the worst episode (there are one or two others that are a toss up for it) and there is no excuse for it. It's just awful.

Toxxupation posted:

Also the finale from that season is really good

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

"Basically, run."

One of the best moments in the show's history.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have to admit I paid more attention to the story-specific covers for The Diary of River Song and didn't actually notice until pointed out that the actual box cover has Paul McGann front and center and Alex Kingston off to the side. That is pretty hosed up.

Toxxupation posted:

Absolutely, it's a stunning episode. Also:

Bicyclops posted:

Also the finale from that season is really good

Also correct. I still get a thrill at the,"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something..... blue" line.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Mr Boods always laughs when we watch older shows and films, and I say, 'Oooh, that guy was on Doctor Who,' especially when it turns out to be someone who played a tertiary character in a single episode or whatever.

Anyway, we're powering our way through the original series of Danger Man, and a number of future DW actors have shown up; this evening, a Sicilian henchman baddie appeared, and I said, as usual, 'Ooooh, him, loook!'

Mr Boods chuckled and said, absently, 'Uh huh.' Let me guess, he was in Doctor Who.'

Well, yes, this handsome man was; enjoy a still from the episode, c.1960:

Mr Boods didn't recognise him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It is kind of bizarre to realize how different Patrick Troughton looked as the Doctor than he did in so many of his other roles.

:stwoon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Midnight is good and I don't like it.

After all the time we spent doing it up :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

It is kind of bizarre to realize how different Patrick Troughton looked as the Doctor than he did in so many of his other roles.

He looks like Fleming's original sketch of Bond.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

The hair really sets it off. He's freakishly handsome in that picture.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I avoided watching season 9 for a long time because season 8 was a steaming turd and I hated Clara. But I finally binged it this week and I dislike her less and this season was pretty decent. I love Maisie Williams.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
EDIT: I'm not starting this poo poo again.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 19, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

Good, this is probably the least controversial page in thread history.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, it's either the 70s or the 80s. Or both at the same time.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

RIP Glenn Frey?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tegan posted:

You mean you're deliberately choosing to go on the run? From your own people? In a rackety old TARDIS?!

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, probably best they didn't go with that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

On a sort of related note, I've just realized that the resolution to Clara's storyline is basically Season 6B.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rochallor posted:

On a sort of related note, I've just realized that the resolution to Clara's storyline is basically Season 6B.

The Time Lords are going to send creepy robot scarecrows after her? :ohdear:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Trin Tragula posted:

This is the only thing that should be allowed to come before the start of any BBC home viewing media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8jf_93Lv8

ahhh, that's the stuff

Oh, but what about this! I can't watch it without expecting "The Curse of Fenric" to follow immediately.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83GUdnkvjxQ

And here's an even older one that those who lived through the dark days of tape trading will be familiar with:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4ftiByb6M

One of my greatest childhood finds was the original release of Spearhead From Space with the horrible photo cover and all the episode breaks removed - and that was on the front of it. This was in the days when Dr Who VHS tapes were still expensive enough that finding one for next to nothing at a junk sale was like mana from heaven.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Y'all were probably watching bootlegs. Everyone knows Doctor Who is supposed to end with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLQ1wEb2TcI.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So apparently Washington DC is going to get smacked by Mother Nature this weekend. They're talking at least 12 inches of snow, with 20 inches a possibility.

Sounds like a good excuse to bundle up and watch a whole bunch of Four/Leela.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

So apparently Washington DC is going to get smacked by Mother Nature this weekend. They're talking at least 12 inches of snow, with 20 inches a possibility.

Sounds like a good excuse to bundle up and watch a whole bunch of Four/Leela.

When they announce whatever stupid name they're giving this winter event, make sure you always refer to it based on the serial you just watched: [Snowthing] of Evil, [Snowthing] of Death, Talons of [Snowthing], Horror of [Snowthing], etc.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
[Snowthing] OF THE DALEKS

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

Leela never got to stab a Dalek onscreen. :(

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

Leela never got to stab a Dalek onscreen. :(

The Daleks didn't even include her in their slide show of the Doctor's companions in Resurrection. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

OH poo poo, ITS THE BLIZZARD OF THE DALEKS

Now from Dairy Queen

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

When they announce whatever stupid name they're giving this winter event, make sure you always refer to it based on the serial you just watched: [Snowthing] of Evil, [Snowthing] of Death, Talons of [Snowthing], Horror of [Snowthing], etc.

[Snowthing] of Fear followed by The Deadly [Snowthing].

Apparently the nickname is "Snow vs Wade" because it's right off the coast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

Mr Boods always laughs when we watch older shows and films, and I say, 'Oooh, that guy was on Doctor Who,' especially when it turns out to be someone who played a tertiary character in a single episode or whatever.

Anyway, we're powering our way through the original series of Danger Man, and a number of future DW actors have shown up; this evening, a Sicilian henchman baddie appeared, and I said, as usual, 'Ooooh, him, loook!'

Mr Boods chuckled and said, absently, 'Uh huh.' Let me guess, he was in Doctor Who.'

Well, yes, this handsome man was; enjoy a still from the episode, c.1960:

Mr Boods didn't recognise him.

This better be a prelude to, or reaction to, watching The Prisoner. :colbert:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Gaz-L posted:

This better be a prelude to, or reaction to, watching The Prisoner. :colbert:

Kiddo, I remember watching The Prisoner with my mum when I was a wee one about 40 years ago :) (not quite :corsair: to remember the original run, which my mum watched and enjoyed, but thought was too scary for then-toddler me). I didn't understand when I was a kid, but I lurved the theme song and thought Patrick McGoohan was handsome (if not, to my 10 year old self, impossibly old).

I'm looking forward to the next series of Danger Man, as I love 'High Wire.' The version of the show that I saw as a kid/teen was when it was branded Secret Asian Agent Man.

This is the first time I've ever seen the original series though. in this version John Drake is an American agent for NATO, and the show opens with an amusing composite shot of the US Capitol with a clearly British office block placed in front of it. Loads of Doctor Who actors and well-known American television actors have been parading through it -- and in the original series, Portmerion has been playing the role of Rome and a couple other places too expensive for location shoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm writing a Thing and I need classic who experts to weigh in and confirm or deny

basically i have no idea what classic who is like, but from what i understand it was heavily serialized (as in, containing serials), with each season consisting of several stories consisting of multiple episodes each

six or more was not uncommon, four was roughly the norm

narratively speaking episodes didn't really function at all individually because they were explicitly parts of a greater whole

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 20, 2016

• Locked thread