Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody keeping tabs on the game "dreadnought"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm0g7mDKFq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6sUgTxoyqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

I've read Dune at least 4 times, how can you read that first diner in Arrakis and not flip out? Dune is Game of Thrones in space with an emerging God leading a planet of knife fighting fanatics that would horrify the Islamic State and they are the good guys.

Which reminds me that I haven't read it in a couple of years, time for a revisit.

Yeah, the first book is awesome, but they tail off quite rapidly. I usually fail to acknowledge anything after 'God Emperor' because you skip forward ten millenia and everything is poo poo.

The whole thing has a complexity that didn't get emulated again until GG Martin ignored publishers that said that Fantasy couldn't be complex.

It even works when you consider the allegory between the universe and the state of the oil-producing nations in the 1970s. Melange is obviously oil...

Edit: Dreadnaught - I'm keeping an eye on this one, but a number of people have cottoned onto the capital ship vibe. Fractured Space is probably one of the better examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M40JOsLd--s - gameplay.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 19, 2016

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Pigments don't work in space, obviously. (This is actually true for some pigments, there would be hella photobleaching, but still, you could do some colors easily)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MeLKoR posted:

I've read Dune at least 4 times, how can you read that first diner in Arrakis and not flip out? Dune is Game of Thrones in space with an emerging God leading a planet of knife fighting fanatics that would horrify the Islamic State and they are the good guys.

Which reminds me that I haven't read it in a couple of years, time for a revisit.

I couldn't tell what the gently caress I was reading, the language was just insanely offputting to me.
:cripes: Look i'm sorry ok! I suck at books and I suck at life!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

TL:DR
The first 5 minutes of that interview tells you everything you need to know about Sandi's view of Star Citizen's Customer Support, both past and present. If it was better in the past in the Chelsea era, that was Sandi's doing because the greatness filtered down to Chelsea from her. If it sucks now, it's ultimately because Sandi hadn't yet filtered her greatness down to her lowly UK support team.

You hit the nail on the head GORF.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody keeping tabs on the game "dreadnought"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm0g7mDKFq0

Sort of vaguely watching it, every now and then. It has a neat concept but I just cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about 8-person moba matches and esports.

Speaking of sci-fi, good games, and things that aren't Star Citizen (But I repeat myself): Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak has a new gameplay trailer out. I was not expecting to be excited for this game but I kind of am. It's like a Relic reunion tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf3zx_P2vHo

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZMMNOca9A

Dreadnought is a fun and good game built on UE4.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I couldn't tell what the gently caress I was reading, the language was just insanely offputting to me.

Try the audiobooks. I found the books hard going too but the audiobooks really sold the story.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

To defend Brazillianpeanutwar, if you have no interest in spirituality and never spent a few moments of your lifetime wondering about destiny, premonition or faith DUNE can come out as a complete load of bollocks with extra new age sauce. Its definitely on the softer side fo Sci-fi and might not please everyone.

To BZPW : If you are relatively young (like below 30) please give the original book a second or even 3rd try as you age. Your perspective on it might change and even if your not really in love with it, its a classic anyone with interest in literature should read once, so its not time wasted.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dude, you're cool with me.

Seriously, I might've capslocked there, but I'm just happy I had a reason to do it and vent. :) It's kinda like how I consider South Park unfunny and unoriginal by this point, but whatevs - people stomped on me a bit for saying that too.

It's all cool in the end, cause this is the Star Citizen thread where anything is better than discussing that topic.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Speaking of sci-fi, good games, and things that aren't Star Citizen (But I repeat myself): Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak has a new gameplay trailer out. I was not expecting to be excited for this game but I kind of am. It's like a Relic reunion tour.

They've done 0 marketing for it. Lower your expectations.

Edit:

Steer clear of Umberto Eco, then. It's all good, dude. You're merely unconscious to me.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 19, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I read DUNE and thought it was absolute hot garbage, one of the worst books I've ever read but i'd watch a movie or read a comic with visuals like this, if you're going to do sci-fi you have limitless possibilities, go crazy and OTT don't make everything loving grey and white :cripes: god I hate this game so much and I've never even played it.

You read that stuff when you're in your teens or early twenties, also goons are spergs and have poo poo taste.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

Sort of vaguely watching it, every now and then. It has a neat concept but I just cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about 8-person moba matches and esports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf3zx_P2vHo

Mobas are hot liquid poo poo from the devils rear end in a top hat. They have the worst communities and require teamwork, not a great combination. I don't understand how people enjoy those games at all.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

G0RF posted:

TL:DR
The first 5 minutes of that interview tells you everything you need to know about Sandi's view of Star Citizen's Customer Support, both past and present. If it was better in the past in the Chelsea era, that was Sandi's doing because the greatness filtered down to Chelsea from her. If it sucks now, it's ultimately because Sandi hadn't yet filtered her greatness down to her lowly UK support team.

Thank you for allowing me not to watch that. I can't loving stand (watching) Sandi.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eonwe posted:

Lmao

Yeti is advocating ignoring CS tickets

Thank you guy who has never worked a ticket queue ever

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

You see, if CS works tickets, then they don't have time to code the game

And if they don't code the game, then the developers don't have the time for making assets

And if the coders don't do the art, then the artists can't cover for Sandi

And if they don't cover for Sandi, she doesn't have the time to work the tickets

It's all a great ouroboros of awesome!!!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

Mobas are hot liquid poo poo from the devils rear end in a top hat. They have the worst communities and require teamwork, not a great combination. I don't understand how people enjoy those games at all.

Good teams and staying away from the 'community'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idzWRFXyr1U - Fractured Space from Mr Manley.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hav posted:

Steer clear of Umberto Eco, then. It's all good, dude.

Yeah, I'll second this. If the language of Dune was kinda not your thing, then Umberto Eco (which I also really like) will completely piss you off so...deffo best if you don't even whiff him, for your enjoyment's sake.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, the teaser shot for that looked incredible, but the actual gameplay looks pretty dull for some reason.

Also, the amount of love DUNE is getting here makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Except for you, Brazilianpeanutwar. But it's okay, I still love you.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

aleksendr posted:

To defend Brazillianpeanutwar, if you have no interest in spirituality and never spent a few moments of your lifetime wondering about destiny, premonition or faith DUNE can come out as a complete load of bollocks with extra new age sauce. Its definitely on the softer side fo Sci-fi and might not please everyone.

To BZPW : If you are relatively young (like below 30) please give the original book a second or even 3rd try as you age. Your perspective on it might change and even if your not really in love with it, its a classic anyone with interest in literature should read once, so its not time wasted.

Berious posted:

Try the audiobooks. I found the books hard going too but the audiobooks really sold the story.

CrazyLoon posted:

Dude, you're cool with me.

Seriously, I might've capslocked there, but I'm just happy I had a reason to do it and vent. :) It's kinda like how I consider South Park unfunny and unoriginal by this point, but whatevs - people stomped on me a bit for saying that too.

It's all cool in the end, cause this is the Star Citizen thread where anything is better than discussing that topic.

Thanks guys, at some point I probably will end up reading it again and hopefully the language won't slide right off my brain.

Now Moby dick on the other hand......god what a load of.... :D

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

*many words*

You know, I appreciate the passion with which you dig this stuff up, but I just don't get why anymore. Everyone here knows she's an awful person. Most of the Brown Sea knows it too- nobody was thrilled when she took over. I don't see why it's worth the effort anymore.

Maybe it's me. It's not that my opinion of any of it has improved, it's just so consistently, blandly bad in every aspect that it's not really entertaining to read about anymore. Every day I come in here and it's like "Oh look, the Citizens are stupid, racist, gullible idiots. Chris Roberts promised something unfeasible. Sandi did something self-aggrandizing and narcissistic, Derek referenced his blogs, Ben was generally tragic, and no new gameplay was released. Here's a new jpeg, it looks worse than the old ones."

I think I'm burning out on hating Star Citizen.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Thank you. I hated it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU82z7QGAoM

This guy is the main fanboy I follow now. He's so :lron:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

What's the story on this? I don't know a thing about it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Maybe they just need a little encouragement.

Hey CIG: Feel free to use this!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

You know, I appreciate the passion with which you dig this stuff up, but I just don't get why anymore. Everyone here knows she's an awful person. Most of the Brown Sea knows it too- nobody was thrilled when she took over. I don't see why it's worth the effort anymore.

Maybe it's me. It's not that my opinion of any of it has improved, it's just so consistently, blandly bad in every aspect that it's not really entertaining to read about anymore. Every day I come in here and it's like "Oh look, the Citizens are stupid, racist, gullible idiots. Chris Roberts promised something unfeasible. Sandi did something self-aggrandizing and narcissistic, Derek referenced his blogs, Ben was generally tragic, and no new gameplay was released. Here's a new jpeg, it looks worse than the old ones."

Cherish these moments because one day racist shitizens and Chris not being able to play his game will go the way of the Frog Dog :(:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mike12345 posted:

You read that stuff when you're in your teens or early twenties, also goons are spergs and have poo poo taste.

gently caress man we aren't talking Kill la Kill here, Dune is a classic and probably the most renowned SF book in history and for a good reason.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 19, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysu6hAT50z8

:swoon:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sorry :[ I just thought it was nonsensical rubbish, i'm enjoying hitchhikers much more.

Whoa man your brow just hit rock bottom

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

LowellDND posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611001

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Sarsapariller posted:

I think people are waiting for something truly damning to slip out during one of those embarrassing interviews or something. Nobody wants to miss the turning point that gets referenced in the inevitable lawsuit.

If nothing else, mocking this mess is more entertaining than the game could ever be.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Seeing as a few shitizens have complained now I'd say CIG wiping their queue over new year is confirmed. People ITT were skeptical they'd be that bad.

e: lesson being never underestimate how bad CIG can be.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

LowellDND posted:

http://doobies-doghouse.wikia.com/wiki/Doobie%27s_DogHouse_Wikia

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Given the book talk and mention of GRRM:

Game of Thrones is the Star Citizen of fantasy books to the Malazan series' Elite: Dangerous.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Berious posted:

Seeing as a few shitizens have complained now I'd say CIG wiping their queue over new year is confirmed. People ITT were skeptical they'd be that bad.

e: lesson being never underestimate how bad CIG can be.

That's the other reason to follow along; watching a slow motion train wreck that keeps getting worse, and you keep watching out of morbid curiosity to find out how bad it'll get before it finally stops.

edit: And/or to find out how it DOES stop.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

Yeah, I'll second this. If the language of Dune was kinda not your thing, then Umberto Eco (which I also really like) will completely piss you off so...deffo best if you don't even whiff him, for your enjoyment's sake.
Dune intersperses a lot of Fremen words that take time to learn and understand fluently but what's the problem with something like The Name of the Rose for example? I don't remember any particularly hard parts?

e: Yeah Moby Dick did nothing for me, I didn't hate it but I was expecting so much more from such a famous book. War and Peace on the other hand I loving loathed the first time I read. I gave it another shot a decade later and merely hated it. Maybe I'll try again in 5 years and simply dislike it.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 19, 2016

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Thanks guys, at some point I probably will end up reading it again and hopefully the language won't slide right off my brain.

To parapharse Ron Swanson : Just a good simple tale about a man who hate an animal.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Whoa man your brow just hit rock bottom

In other news marmite is the best and cats are better than dogs :boom:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

fuzzknot posted:

I think people are waiting for something truly damning to slip out during one of those embarrassing interviews or something. Nobody wants to miss the turning point that gets referenced in the inevitable lawsuit.

That lawsuit has to happen first, then maybe it'll be a small part of it, no matter how egregious. As for something truly damning purely from a PR perspective...cripes, I seriously thought Sandi's tears at the last CitCon would've snapped some people out of their stupor, but I guess nothing will really be enough short of them literally taking a giant dump on stage or somesuch.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Given the book talk and mention of GRRM:

Game of Thrones is the Star Citizen of fantasy books to the Malazan series' Elite: Dangerous.

Except the Malazan series is a mile wide and deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also GRRM will be finished long, long before SC is released

• Locked thread