Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Barnyard Protein posted:

lol if you can't tell thats a sun type 5.

:pray: please let it be a type 5

it's at least a type 5, the type 4 didn't have a function row above the main area

if I weren't already using an Apple Extended Keyboard II with each Mac, I'd probably get a type 6 or 7 USB Keyboard with UNIX layout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

it's at least a type 5, the type 4 didn't have a function row above the main area

it's probably a type 6 or newer since it has the euro key on it. the type 5 went out of production in 1997 and the euro didn't enter use until 1999.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

gently caress caps lock, the worst and most useless key ever invented

i'd post a picture of my modded type 6 with two left control keys but i don't want to inflict the shame of my filthy desk on the world.

clean your loving desk, it's gross :barf:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Soricidus posted:

my favourite sun key is Com-
pose

shame the left function keys don't work in windows, i keep meaning to get round to writing a driver to fix that but :effort:

millions tens of virgins all of them neckbeards would lay at your feet

eschaton posted:

despite having rubber dome switches, the feel on my Sun Type 5 with UNIX layout is really nice

and those meta keys!

rubber domes can be done well

good rubber domes are expensive

rubber dome keyboards usually aren't expensive

spot the problem (and buy topre)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

where can i buy an open source office chair

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

b0red posted:

where can i buy an open source office chair

https://www.opendesk.cc/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

the benches and shelves look like they'll be tolerable to use in an office

the chairs not so much

so quintessential open sores

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

$300 for a pre-made chair made of plywood, $3-8k for a small office's worth of furniture, and I bet you have to put it together yourself too. it's like ikea for neckbeardy hipsters

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

it's ikea for neckbeardy hipsters

correct

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

$300 for a pre-made chair made of plywood, $3-8k for a small office's worth of furniture, and I bet you have to put it together yourself too. it's like ikea for neckbeardy hipsters

lol at that price you could get herman miller stuff.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah thats like an eames lounger and a good standing desk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

if I weren't already using an Apple Extended Keyboard II with each Mac, I'd probably get a type 6 or 7 USB Keyboard with UNIX layout

the usb keyboards are just as mushy and terrible as the type 5

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
where can i find the emacs version of a bed

edit: i need a king size. and not because i have a woman in my life, i am just really that fat

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

lol at CNC furniture
just lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the usb keyboards are just as mushy and terrible as the type 5

they're nice and quiet in operation, have correct keys, and are easy to acquire. those are my criteria, ymmv :shrug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
debian is loving dumb and they make a package build-conflict with itself for some godawful who knows what reason

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-gnome/desktop/unstable/glib-networking/debian/control?revision=46557&view=markup

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol forever at those chairs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

debian is loving dumb and they make a package build-conflict with itself for some godawful who knows what reason

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-gnome/desktop/unstable/glib-networking/debian/control?revision=46557&view=markup

not made or intended to be an actual product for users so i don't see the problem

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

They added that build-conflict back in 2011 because glib-networking wouldn't build successfully while it itself was already installed so I'm pretty sure the fuckup is u

In other words

broken clock opsec posted:

hahaha gently caress no

you can't trust any of these upstream attention deficit idiot fuckheads to debug their own poo poo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 23, 2016

pram
Jun 10, 2001

broken clock opsec posted:

They added that build-conflict back in 2011 because theyre amateurs cobbling together a literal pile of poo poo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:qq: mai free and open sores software ideals :qq:

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
ITT: people surprised debian is bad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
got a surprise USB Sun Type 6 UNIX keyboard at Halted this afternoon

will Ubuntu 15.10 actually treat the meta keys properly?

in this context "properly" means "the same as Solaris with Open Look, not the abomination that is CDE"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

got a surprise USB Sun Type 6 UNIX keyboard at Halted this afternoon

will Ubuntu 15.10 actually treat the meta keys properly?

in this context "properly" means "the same as Solaris with Open Look, not the abomination that is CDE"

Xorg comes with xkb definitions for type5/type6/type7, so the translation from key code to logical key will work just fine after you tell Xorg you have a sun keyboard

what ubuntu's dumbass desktop will do with a meta key input, i can't tell you

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Soricidus posted:

gently caress caps lock, the worst and most useless key ever invented

ACTUALLY ITS THE BEST

CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computer toucher posted:

ACTUALLY ITS THE BEST

CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bought myself a sick rackmount server to host some virtual machinez, figured i'd get into the habit of using configuration management while i was at it.

spent a weekend using ansible to automate my computer touching. now i've got a fully documented and audited (in a git repo) process for bringing up a totally configured application server vm in like a minute flat

ty for the tip notorious bsd

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh, but then i went and upgraded the ilo firmware like a goddamn retard and apparently that causes it to lose the "ilo advanced pack" license key that the server came with

fine, i figure i don't need it. i log in to the remote console and 30 seconds later "you need an ilo advanced pack license to use the console after POST is complete, please call your friendly local hp salesprick at 1-800-gently caress-YOU"

eat a loving dick hp :fuckoff:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

why the gently caress do you have a physical server in your house

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

mishaq posted:

and a rack

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

oh, but then i went and upgraded the ilo firmware like a goddamn retard and apparently that causes it to lose the "ilo advanced pack" license key that the server came with

fine, i figure i don't need it. i log in to the remote console and 30 seconds later "you need an ilo advanced pack license to use the console after POST is complete, please call your friendly local hp salesprick at 1-800-gently caress-YOU"

also i think hp cuts you off from driver/firmware updates once your warranty expires now so good job picking the shittier server vendor

edit: http://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-to-begin-charging-for-firmware-updates-and-service-packs-for-servers/

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mishaq posted:

whoever said it's going in my house

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

whoever said it's going in my house

:v:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

bought myself a sick rackmount server to host some virtual machinez, figured i'd get into the habit of using configuration management while i was at it.

spent a weekend using ansible to automate my computer touching. now i've got a fully documented and audited (in a git repo) process for bringing up a totally configured application server vm in like a minute flat

yeah but you had to write it in yaml because lol ansible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

you should still be able to use serial over ipmi

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

welcome to devops fellow thought leader

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah but you had to write it in yaml because lol ansible

beats writing puppet dsl garbage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

beats writing puppet dsl garbage

classic wrongpinion

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

wtf nbsd doesnt advocate ansible you moron thats me

pram
Jun 10, 2001
he advocates literal poo poo like chef and probably cf engine and spiceworks automate pro dx 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I can't wait for poettering to finish killing the unixy parts of GNU/Linux. Then maybe it'll be worth using on the desktop.