Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Working for me? try this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Working for me? try this

if i googled "Austin Hipster Restaurants" i'd get the same list

edit ironic that a business named "Foreign and Domestic" would ban guns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh, Matt's El Rancho? Kerby Lane?

Notice that ahem Frank. and Lick. aren't on it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aliquid posted:

if i googled "Austin Hipster Restaurants" i'd get the same list

edit ironic that a business named "Foreign and Domestic" would ban guns

Thunderclouds will be excited to learn they've earned the title hipster.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'll concede Thundercloud, but Kerbey Lane is most definitely a hipster stop. It's not nearly as bad as the yuppie places like Uchi, though.

I lived across Jolleyville from the old 183 location, maybe I'm still pissed that they moved across the highway and a couple miles north.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Uchi may be "yuppie" but I went there last year and it was some of the best food I've had in my life (easily top 3). And I've been to some nice rear end restaurants.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't eat out much, but I stood in line forever at Pint House Pizza and it was fantastic despite swimming in bad beards. I guess the best part was that it was cheaper than I expected.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

zoux posted:

Working for me? try this

Thanks! That one worked. And thank you, Aliquid, too!

That statewide list was especially helpful. Looks like most of the places I frequent are not allowing it. Does this also count for their parking lots? I'm imagining protests outside of the businesses during the year.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I guess it's nice to have the option to open carry a .357 and AK to the grocery store.

If I didn't., the terrorists would win or Obama would steal them while I was out or something.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
How insecure do you have to be to want to carry a pistol in a holster when you go shopping? Old timers driving around with rifles on racks in the cab of their trucks is one thing, but who actually needs to walk around town carrying a weapon other than that that rear end in a top hat with the fedora that kept showing up at Whataburger with his neckbeard friends?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

How insecure do you have to be to want to carry a pistol in a holster when you go shopping? Old timers driving around with rifles on racks in the cab of their trucks is one thing, but who actually needs to walk around town carrying a weapon other than that that rear end in a top hat with the fedora that kept showing up at Whataburger with his neckbeard friends?

It's the exact same overcompensation mentality that gets people to drive lifted pickup trucks with "truck balls".

If you have to flaunt your masculinity, perhaps you aren't that masculine...

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If I'm a crazed shooter I think open carry isn't going to have the desired "oh no that guy has a gun, I shouldn't go through with my plan" effect and more of a "oh, that guy has a gun, better make sure to get him first" effect. Concealed carry just seems to make more sense in that not only does it have the potential for more life-saving situations but it also bothers/stresses the public less.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The "reasonable" open carry people want the law so they can take their jacket off while getting gas or whatever and not get in trouble for having a visible gun. The insane, or usual, open carry people want everyone to know they have a gun because being a gun guy is a major part of their identity.

Either way, I'd be shocked if there are 1000 people open carrying in Texas after the novelty has worn off.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

zoux posted:

The "reasonable" open carry people want the law so they can take their jacket off while getting gas or whatever and not get in trouble for having a visible gun. The insane, or usual, open carry people want everyone to know they have a gun because being a gun guy is a major part of their identity.

Either way, I'd be shocked if there are 1000 people open carrying in Texas after the novelty has worn off.

If I see a guy with a gun I'll probably call the cops. I don't know if he has a license to carry the gun and I'm sure all the pro-gun people would agree it's better to be safe than sorry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I think you should. I think these people should find that carrying a gun openly is such a pain in the rear end that it's not worth the statement.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Reik posted:

If I see a guy with a gun I'll probably call the cops. I don't know if he has a license to carry the gun and I'm sure all the pro-gun people would agree it's better to be safe than sorry.

shoot him, claim self defense.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

blue squares posted:

shoot him, claim self defense.

I have to scream Islamophobic hate speech first though right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Save this, it's gonna be funnier in a couple of months.

RESPECT THE LAW OBAMA

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I keep hearing a clip of Patrick from I guess over the weekend and in advance of the now released details of Obama's executive order saying they intend to make guns easier to get. Does anyone have any clue at all how exactly they intend to do such a thing?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

Save this, it's gonna be funnier in a couple of months.

RESPECT THE LAW OBAMA

Is Paxton ever going to end up in jail?

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Is Paxton ever going to end up in jail?

Ha. No, of course he isn't. He's rich and white.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The grand jury indicted the trooper in the Sandra Bland case on one count of perjury.

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/01/06/indictment-sandra-bland-case/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's it? Better than nothing, I guess... At least he might get disqualified from being police

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

That's it? Better than nothing, I guess... At least he might get disqualified from being police

:lol: good one

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blue squares posted:

Yeah, if there is anything we've learned from all these police brutality cases, Police Departments don't seem to do much in the way of background checks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Heck, whichever police departments hired him next will probably give him a promotion right off the bat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha a second investigation against Paxton has been opened.
https://twitter.com/ChronicleMike/status/688049352183513088

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Here's one for the "Austin is so segregated" crowd...

quote:

Dallas Struggles to Overcome Segregated Legacy

DALLAS — By most accounts, census tract 166.05 is not a particularly desirable place to live. Tucked between two major highways in southwest Dallas, the neighborhood is characterized by clusters of ramshackle, one-story houses, huge swaths of vacant land and big warehouses and storage centers.

More than 40 percent of people living in the census tract have incomes below the poverty level, a proportion that more than doubled since 2000, according to U.S. Census data. Crime rates and levels of slum and blight are also high, according to the Dallas-based housing advocacy group the Inclusive Communities Project.

Federal rent assistance programs shouldn't be used to place poor families in such a neighborhood, the project believes. And yet more than 100 families who receive federal rent subsidies known as Housing Choice Vouchers through Dallas County have been placed there.

Such placement “perpetuates segregation,” the group wrote in a strongly worded letter to the Dallas County Housing Agency in October. The vast majority of Dallas County’s 4,200 rent-subsidy users are black, and they are being steered to “minority-concentrated, high poverty areas,” the group said.

The group sent similar letters to five other housing authorities who administer federal rent subsidies in the Dallas area, with plenty more examples of large numbers of families on housing assistance — most black or nonwhite Hispanic — ending up in places not that different from census tract 166.05.

Of the more than 30,000 Dallas-area rent-subsidy holders, 90 percent live in neighborhoods with concentrations of minority residents, and 17 percent live in census tracts with relatively high poverty rates, ICP says.

That data is not new; Poor families on government assistance don’t often have the opportunity to live in a zip code that offers them better schools or city services. But now that the federal government has told local governments they need to get serious about ending housing segregation, the Inclusive Communities Project hopes the data will get some fresh attention.

“It puts the spotlight on cities and housing authorities and what they have not been doing regarding fair housing,” said Betsy Julian, the group’s president.

There's more, and it's pretty good. Here's an interesting fact...

quote:

In Austin, the city council tried to address it with an ordinance that forbade landlords from discriminating against a tenant based on their source of income. That would mean they could not reject tenants simply because they were paying their rent with a government subsidy.

The ordinance passed in January 2015. A few months later, the Texas Legislature reversed it by banning such ordinances statewide.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's almost as though the point was that Austin is no better than the rest of Texas, not that Austin is uniquely horrible.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

It's almost as though the point was that Austin is no better than the rest of Texas, not that Austin is uniquely horrible.

Really? Hrm...

computer parts posted:

e_angst posted:

Yep, the Austin backlash is officially in full effect. Sorry, we can't help it that we're easily the best city in Texas.
Best segregated.

Bushiz posted:

enraged_camel posted:

Austin is great. The rest of Texas loving sucks.

Assuming you love white people and hate decent tacos

Dameius posted:

Austin is the worst. QED.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I appreciate you including the quotations, because it shows some idiot saying how much better Austin is compared to the rest of Texas, which is exactly my point.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

I appreciate you including the quotations, because it shows some idiot saying how much better Austin is compared to the rest of Texas, which is exactly my point.

You keep enjoying Plano and I'll keep enjoying Austin sounds fair to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

e_angst posted:

Here's one for the "Austin is so segregated" crowd...

There's more, and it's pretty good. Here's an interesting fact...

Is there a major city in the country without these problems?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Is there a major city in the country without these problems?

6% of Texas census tracks have greater than 20% poverty, ranking third highest among states compared to the 3.5% national average. concentrated poverty is concentrated in the South.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If you don't think Austin is better than the rest of Texas, you're either a religious gun-nut (Dallas) or a pollution-loving oil & gas worker (Houston).

There's also San Antonio I guess, but that's... well, San Antonio.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences

And there's a sort of city-sized nationalism that plays a role. People attach part of their identity to where they live and get mad if other people bash it, which is understandable. Despite being very liberal when I've been in other states and someone talks poo poo about Texas I get uncomfortable.

I almost turn into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_PwD0gOSo

And related to this is a need to denigrate your rivals who are close by to boost yourself. I think this is really monkey-brained stuff, like the apes fighting at the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's just not sensible.

enraged_camel posted:

If you don't think Austin is better than the rest of Texas, you're either a religious gun-nut (Dallas) or a pollution-loving oil & gas worker (Houston).
The irony of Dallas is that it's megachurch land but also has the best gay neighborhood in the state. This makes Austin people's heads go all pear-shaped.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Every major city in Texas with the exception of Ft. Worth is majority blue and voted that way in the last two national elections. Dallas has a fantastic gay community, and Houston just saw the end of term of their gay mayor (who served the maximum amount of terms possible) who is being succeeded by a black man.

The narrative that Austin is some lone liberal bastion in a sea of red is laughably overblown. It's just that they're VERY concerned that you know they're liberal, and the other cities don't care.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They're liberal until it comes to money or letting poors near their homes via transit systems

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ComposerGuy posted:

Every major city in Texas with the exception of Ft. Worth is majority blue and voted that way in the last two national elections. Dallas has a fantastic gay community, and Houston just saw the end of term of their gay mayor (who served the maximum amount of terms possible) who is being succeeded by a black man.

The narrative that Austin is some lone liberal bastion in a sea of red is laughably overblown. It's just that they're VERY concerned that you know they're liberal, and the other cities don't care.

I really only hear the "blue in a sea of red" thing from non-Texans who moved here from out of state to justify moving to Texas/why Austin is ok despite Texas Bad.

Personally I grew up in Houston and have lived in San Antonio and Austin, and while I prefer Austin I like them all for what they are.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I really only hear the "blue in a sea of red" thing from non-Texans who moved here from out of state to justify moving to Texas/why Austin is ok despite Texas Bad.

Personally I grew up in Houston and have lived in San Antonio and Austin, and while I prefer Austin I like them all for what they are.
It's funny because I'm in the process of moving from Austin to DFW. But it's for almost all boring getting-older reasons (save money, be closer to family, etc.) and my work lets me do that easily. The other funny thing ... I won't actually save much money, at least in the short term. It will add up in the long-run, but urban housing costs are a problem state-wide. It's a bubble and we're living in it.

Austin has some quirks but the differences in cities is often talked about as differences between the people who live in them. I used to think more like that, but looking back I realize we highlight those difference for pretty ugly, vain reasons. Fact is that people are pretty much the same everywhere. The real differences are material, spatial, etc.