Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I wish I could pay for MLB.tv and watch Angel/Dodger games, even if I have to watch commercials live. I honestly don't like it just going to a black screen for a few minutes. I can live without pre/post game show stuff. I have time warner cable so I don't mind so much at my house, but I go to my sister's quite a bit and they cut cable there.

What is the best/easiest proxy setup solution? Even if its 5 bucks a month or whatever for a dedicated proxy. unblock-us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Ribsauce posted:

The '85 Bears probably gets canonzied more than the Dolphins. You really only hear about the Dolphins when the media is forced to talk about them (like when the last undefeated team loses or a team gets to say 13-0) where you hear about the '85 Bears randomly all the time. For example, after the Panthers lost this year you won't hear about the '72 Dolphins again until either a team is undefeated through like week 12 or the last undefeated team loses.

I think part of the reason you hear more about the '85 Bears is because 4 former players from that team have coaching jobs. Then you add in Ditka being on ESPN, and the Sons of Buddy living it up in Buffalo, and you see how that team still has a presence in today's league. Maybe it's because 1972 is a little before my time, but the only link to that team I can think of is Mike Shula.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Also cause Walter Payton was cool and awesome and the 72 dolphins are a bunch of dumbasses.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Legendary music video doesn't hurt the legacy either

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I hope at least 20 minutes are devoted to Steve Fuller's verse in the Shuffle, particularly the phrase "I'm not here to feathers ruffle"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sometimes Sportscenter is cool.
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/1/19/10794564/john-clayton-slayer-sportscenter-commercial-video-russell-westbrook-espn

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mike Francesa told Katie Nolan he's done with WFAN at the end of next year

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/mike-francesa-tells-katie-nolan-he-s-leaving-wfan-at-end-of-2017-011916

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mike and the Mad Dog reunion is this weekend? If it goes well maybe they think about joining up again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deaspin put together a pretty thorough piece on how cord cutting and non-ESPN cable bundles have hurt ESPN, and what their options are going forward

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Option number 1: shitcan Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless, Darren Rovell, and the other useless turds being paid millions to do gently caress all

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bayless and Smith are awful but that garbage show apparently does well for them and eats up a lot of airtime. I suppose you could argue that they could find much cheaper people to scream intentionally stupid and offensive things at one another for several hours a day, but maybe someone is really into Stephen A's whole deal, I dunno.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think recent ratings showed First Take was their biggest show by a pretty wide margin.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

davecrazy posted:

The Mike and the Mad Dog reunion is this weekend? If it goes well maybe they think about joining up again.

It's in late March. I doubt anyone would pay that kind of price for a full-time reunion.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Skip and Steve for better or worse are the font of the hot take and cannot be easily replaced by less creative people.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yeah I think recent ratings showed First Take was their biggest show by a pretty wide margin.

Wait, people actually watch it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/keisertroll/status/692436837416173568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

holy shiiiiiiiiiiit :stare:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Goddamn that's a mess. Sounds like it wasn't Jackson's fault at all reading that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Goddamn that's a mess. Sounds like it wasn't Jackson's fault at all reading that.

Yeah Keith wouldn't have known, but god drat

E: and Fox Sports won the english language rights to Copa America

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 27, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Good Dog posted:

unblock-us?

Yes

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Sinclair Brodcasting's buying the Tennis Channel:

http://deadline.com/2016/01/sinclair-buys-tennis-channel-1201691628/

I've heard stuff they wanted to turn it into their own sports network. They do have Ring of Honor wrestling and existing mid-major conference contracts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Woah nellie

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

no

Is this an anniversary or something or did this twitterperson decide to bring this up just because

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's definitely not baseball season so probably just because

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bob Miller taking a leave of absence for upcoming bypass surgery. Nick Nickson to return to LA Kings TV for PbP; Jon Rosen to take over radio PbP.

I'm actually worried about this one.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Barney Hall, the voice of NASCAR on the radio, passed away at age 83.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ontent=20160127

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Looks like it's the end of Fox Sports Live as we know it:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/01/29/fox-sports-live-canceled-espn-sportscenter

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
But what about Jay & Dan :(

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They're getting their own show that will likely fill that slot. Ask me anything. I worked on Live and am likely out of a job on the 15th.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
My university is having Stephen A. Smith come be the keynote speaker for Black History Month. gently caress everything about this: http://www.mtsu.edu/stuaff/connect/bhm.php

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

My university is having Stephen A. Smith come be the keynote speaker for Black History Month. gently caress everything about this: http://www.mtsu.edu/stuaff/connect/bhm.php

you should relentlessly heckle him about cheese doodles

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

soggybagel posted:

They're getting their own show that will likely fill that slot. Ask me anything. I worked on Live and am likely out of a job on the 15th.

what are they gonna do after ufc fights on fs1? what's the postfight gonna be like

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I recommend listening to Richard Deitsch's media podcast with Jay Williams this week. The guy has an interesting story and is pretty open about his drug addiction, the motorcycle accident, suicide attempts, and wanting to punch Doug Gottlieb in the face.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Niwrad posted:

wanting to punch Doug Gottlieb in the face.

don't we all :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

John Scott loving torched Jeremy Roenick after the All Star Game

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

what are they gonna do after ufc fights on fs1? what's the postfight gonna be like

Still unclear but we'll know more this week.

As of February 15th Fox Sports Live is no more. Jay and Dan are getting their own show which will run 5 nights a week that will fill the FSLive slot. Its still not totally decided what the show will be like. IF it will still have highlights as a focus or more free form. The department I work in, highlights, still feeds video to a lot of shows including Cowherd's, the college basketball coverage, soccer, and later in the year baseball. So I imagine they'll retain some people...because you need people to sift through the mountains games that happen every day.

They're definitely moving to the more idiotic HOT TAKES central...as far as UFC post fight, UFC is kind of their own thing. They have their own team of editors and producers and I'm sure you'll still get the same post fight coverage that you're used to. The only difference is instead of rolling from a fight into a UFC post fight into LIVE you may just get more UFC post fight coverage and then it dumps into a random show like TMZ or just a repeat of something from earlier the day.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Still unclear but we'll know more this week.

As of February 15th Fox Sports Live is no more. Jay and Dan are getting their own show which will run 5 nights a week that will fill the FSLive slot. Its still not totally decided what the show will be like. IF it will still have highlights as a focus or more free form. The department I work in, highlights, still feeds video to a lot of shows including Cowherd's, the college basketball coverage, soccer, and later in the year baseball. So I imagine they'll retain some people...because you need people to sift through the mountains games that happen every day.

They're definitely moving to the more idiotic HOT TAKES central...as far as UFC post fight, UFC is kind of their own thing. They have their own team of editors and producers and I'm sure you'll still get the same post fight coverage that you're used to. The only difference is instead of rolling from a fight into a UFC post fight into LIVE you may just get more UFC post fight coverage and then it dumps into a random show like TMZ or just a repeat of something from earlier the day.

Sucks to hear it since FSL was awesome. With that said, didn't Fox Sports bring in the guy from ESPN who was solely responsible for all this hot take horseshit to begin with?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yes. Jamie Horowitz.

Also Live isn't getting canned quite yet...but soon. So it will go on past the 15th. They're tinkering right now. It's definitely moving into Extreme Hot Take Territory 24/7. If you check out any of their evening coverage leading up to the Super Bowl you see it. They're giving Katie Nolan a lot of airtime on Live and other segments. Cowherd and Whitlock are doing their own shows from San Francisco right now. Live as of now is very loose as Jay and Dan just goof around. The last two nights on Live they loving ran 3 total highlights from the night. The mood is low. Also basically everyone still doesn't know if we're being kept on, if we'll be fired, if anything... which really loving sucks. though everyone is throwing their resumes out everywhere.

This on top of the news that 21st century fox tv/film is trying to cut 250 million from the operating budget.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Katie Nolan doesn't really seem like a hot taker and more of her on tv should be encouraged

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I never said Kate Nolan was a hot taker though my sentence order I guess implied that. What I meant was that theyre giving Katie Nolan a lot of air time during this super bowl lead up coverage, which makes sense. They're trying to strengthen every personalities "brand" that they have right now.

The move to EXTREME HOT TAKE is that Jay and Dan are getting their own show which I imagine will be more opinion and less we're doing highlights. Whitlock is getting his own poo poo as you know, and it sounds like Cowherd might get a 2nd! show....so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Jonah Keri went from Grantland to....Nerdist. Go figure.

http://nerdist.com/podcasts/jonah-keri-podcast/