Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

My Smart Fortwo is so understated, I'm literally invisible to other cars:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv1hj23nxdooenv/vlc-record-2016-01-18-22h50m18s-CrashNov1st.AVI-.avi?dl=0

Oh, and the guy's insurance company is saying I'm 50% at fault. I guess I'm supposed to sue the driver in small claims court now? That's what my insurance company is telling me to do.

You have a lovely insurance company. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Just send that video on a vhs certified mail to his insurance company with some fancy letter on heavy paper.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

My Smart Fortwo is so understated, I'm literally invisible to other cars:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv1hj23nxdooenv/vlc-record-2016-01-18-22h50m18s-CrashNov1st.AVI-.avi?dl=0

Oh, and the guy's insurance company is saying I'm 50% at fault. I guess I'm supposed to sue the driver in small claims court now? That's what my insurance company is telling me to do.

How is that anything more than 'the other guy us 100% responsible' ?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Laserface posted:

How is that anything more than 'the other guy us 100% responsible' ?

"Our insured is only 50% responsible" is insurance company speak for "We think we can get away with only paying half because you're an unsophisticated, legally unrepresented, smart-car driving little bitch"

That's when you're supposed to turn it over to your own insurance to subrogate, but I'm guessing Zero VGS didn't have collision coverage or the damage was less than his deductible, so his own insurer took a pass.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Another reason to get a dashcam: see how a mechanic treats your car when they are working on it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3404946/Subaru-owner-s-anger-garage-staff-pothole-video.html?ito=video_player_click

quote:

'Got that one': Dashcam footage appears to show garage staff deliberately aiming for the potholes as they take customer's Subaru for test-drive down country lane

And a follow-up to another news story from the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3406089/White-van-man-deliberately-STOPPED-middle-lane-M60-road-rage-row-banned-driving.html

quote:

Shocking moment white van man suddenly swerves in front of a driver and STOPS in the middle of the M60 during road rage row

Anthony Cairns from Salford, admitted dangerous driving on the M60
The 43-year-old has been given an interim ban while he awaits sentencing
He was caught on camera deliberately stopping in the middle lane of road
Was also seen repeatedly cutting in ahead of other drivers and shouting abuse

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SlapActionJackson posted:

"Our insured is only 50% responsible" is insurance company speak for "We think we can get away with only paying half because you're an unsophisticated, legally unrepresented, smart-car driving little bitch"

That's when you're supposed to turn it over to your own insurance to subrogate, but I'm guessing Zero VGS didn't have collision coverage or the damage was less than his deductible, so his own insurer took a pass.

You're right on both counts, the other insurance company saw the video so they must think they don't have anything to lose by trying that stunt. I have USAA which is usually spectacular (for example other driver was being a dick at the scene, saying he never even hit me and it must have been someone else who caused all the damage, and USAA helped me figure out his insurance co since he wouldn't give it), but I have no collision so they said I'm on my own for this part.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I see a small claims suit in your future. Just getting the complaint served will demonstrate you're not spineless and may get the insurer to improve the offer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SlapActionJackson posted:

I see a small claims suit in your future. Just getting the complaint served will demonstrate you're not spineless and may get the insurer to improve the offer.

Their own adjuster estimated $1k to repaint / buff / pull dents, but the "Tridion Safety Cell" on the car was dented in, so I'm going to make the case that having the safety frame of my already dinky-rear end car compromised means a huge hit in diminished value.

I mean, this was a mint condition 2013 Electric smart car, not some old gas one, who knows of my battery pack is gonna melt down on me now like in those Tesla videos.

The USAA guy did say this was the first time in his life he's seen someone actually have a dashcam video :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Jesus, why wouldn't you have full coverage on a 2013 car?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been at-fault in an accident in 14 years, I only spent $16k on the car, and I can afford to buy another if it is ever totaled.

I'm sure I saved way way more than $16k over the last 14 years by not ever paying for collision. I didn't know I'd get the whole "you're on your own" thing from my insurance though, that's going to be pretty obnoxious. I've never gone to court before except jury duty but I guess I can figure it out.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Zero VGS posted:

I haven't been at-fault in an accident in 14 years, I only spent $16k on the car, and I can afford to buy another if it is ever totaled.

I'm sure I saved way way more than $16k over the last 14 years by not ever paying for collision. I didn't know I'd get the whole "you're on your own" thing from my insurance though, that's going to be pretty obnoxious. I've never gone to court before except jury duty but I guess I can figure it out.

There's probably only a 1% chance of that actually seeing a court room, especially with a video. More likely is the dude's insurance company will throw some cash at you instead.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It still doesn't make sense that you're expected to go to small claims court. Did your insurance company tell you that or the other guy's?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

It still doesn't make sense that you're expected to go to small claims court. Did your insurance company tell you that or the other guy's?

My insurance company said I need to take the other driver (they specifically said you're supposed to file against the driver, not the insurance company, and Google seemed to confirm that) to small claims court, yeah.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Since you don't have any collision coverage your company has no legal way to pay and then subro, so yeah, you're on your own. If you win a small claims judgement against the other driver they'll pay up but never admit liability.

I could maybe see them applying some shared liability since you saw them creeping out and didn't stop (last clear chance, improper lookout), but 50% is way too much. What state are you in? This determines the negligence type the state uses.

I'd escalate past your adjuster to their sup, manager, etc. Squeaky wheel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
He was taking a left out of a side street and I was on the main road, and he does come to a complete stop, which is when I figure "typical Masshole driver pulls out really far" and proceed past him. But I could see he had his head turned all the way to his left, like I was more or less in his blind spot the whole time because my car is so short.

I'm in Massachusetts. You're saying my insurance has no legal way to subrogate but I should still escalate the case and see if they'll help me out anyways? When I said "their own adjuster" I mean the other driver's insurance adjuster. They already take two weeks to respond to each communication from me (I have to poke them with "what's up" messages each week to get them to reply) and are generally all talking at me like I'm a shithead, when I've been polite with them the whole time.

I figured they'd just look at the vid, say "yeah we're at fault", and pay out a couple grand. If they want to do this the hard way I'll throw down; I don't suppose I can work in time off the job and all these bullshit inconveniences into the settlement?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In my experience, any wreck at all that shows up on the cars history means you eat a 20-25% diminished value on a trade in, so sue the moron for full damages plus at least 25% of the current value of the car.

Edit: Yes, throw in lost wages if they force you to take time off work, worst case is the judge denies it.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 19, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

He was taking a left out of a side street and I was on the main road, and he does come to a complete stop, which is when I figure "typical Masshole driver pulls out really far" and proceed past him. But I could see he had his head turned all the way to his left, like I was more or less in his blind spot the whole time because my car is so short.

I'm in Massachusetts. You're saying my insurance has no legal way to subrogate but I should still escalate the case and see if they'll help me out anyways? When I said "their own adjuster" I mean the other driver's insurance adjuster. They already take two weeks to respond to each communication from me (I have to poke them with "what's up" messages each week to get them to reply) and are generally all talking at me like I'm a shithead, when I've been polite with them the whole time.

I figured they'd just look at the vid, say "yeah we're at fault", and pay out a couple grand. If they want to do this the hard way I'll throw down; I don't suppose I can work in time off the job and all these bullshit inconveniences into the settlement?

MA is a modified comparative 50/50 state. What that means is both parties can collect if they are equal to or less at fault than the other party. In essence, by saying its 50/50 they can pursue you for half of their insureds damages, which is contingent on their insured having collision coverage. If their insured was 51% or more at fault (in their eyes) then they couldn't collect from you.

Your insurance won't make a payment to you since you don't have coverage, and since they haven't paid they have no way to legally recover the damages through subro. When I said escalate it up, that's through their company. If you aren't getting responses timely then look up your states department of insurance. Stuff starts moving much faster when they are potentially looking at fines or state actions taken.

I'd hold off on filing suit until you go through the department of insurance. They're less likely to play ball. If you do file small claims court know those type of fees aren't reimbursable. The court is looking at real damages caused to you and making you whole. Putting a bunch of stuff comes across as a money grab and makes you less credible.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 19, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Zero VGS posted:

Get a quote and do the math, I'm pretty sure you're way wrong. I can already tell that you're an adult and you are a safe driver, so your insurance will probably be comparable to mine. I pay $70 a month for full coverage with 300k limits. I got in my first wreck ever and it paid out $14k, so similar value car as well.

Obviously there are a lot of variables but even at $100 a month you barely break $16000 in 14 years. And you only need to do the math on the increase over liability, I'm using entire premium figures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have no idea what happened here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtN2JxaW5IU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

1. Not paying attention, drift out of lane a bit, finally notice -> PANIC!!! JERK AT THE WHEEL VIOLENTLY
2. Lateral acceleration > 0.3g, car now headed out of the other side of the lane -> DOUBLE PANIC!!!!!!! JERK THE WHEEL BACK THE OTHER WAY AND LIFT OFF THE GAS
3. Lateral acceleration > 0.6g, rear sliding due to dumbass control inputs -> WERE GONNA DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one!!!!!!! SAW AT THE WHEEL AND SMASH THE BRAKES
4. Vehicle completes the spin as requested, smashes into a truck -> "I don't know what happened officer, I just lost control of the car"

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Looking at their cell phone, probably.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've seen that happen before. Dude in a Toyota Yaris doing 120km/h fell asleep at the wheel or something and when he hit the rumble strip, jerked the wheel and faithfully recreated a Mario Kart hit a banana peel 360 in front of me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Goddamn! That got out of hand fast. Poor truck driver. He manages to hit the brakes briefly but then it seems like he's knocked out or something.

It would be pretty interesting if we could relive an accident like this in a simulator, like for airplanes. I wonder how I'd fare behind the wheel. I'd like to think a lot better

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: Original posts:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739469&userid=135033

I am so loving pissed off right now, I'm almost shaking.

I just got a mail from my insurance company with the statement from the other involved party (actually her husband) from when I was sideswiped way back in September. Obviously, it tries to put into doubt everything I put in my statement, and claims that as we were approaching the light, we both slowed down* and that I deliberately put her life in danger by forcing her into the oncoming lane. Words like "angry", "unthinkable", "pushing", "far out" and "threatening" are used.

Well, "angry" is correct at least. Because you're drat straight I get pissed off when somebody deliberately sideswipes me.

They also make a point of mentioning that I told the driver I had dashcam footage, but that this was not provided along with the original statement, so obviously that footage must put me in a bad light. Nevermind that the reason I didn't attach it was that I was unsure of the legality of using it. Obviously I will send it to the insurance company now that it's become a "he said, she said" thing.

* Despite the fact that she also claims to clearly have heard me accelerating. I would think that if she was slowing while I was accelerating, I would have passed her quite easily. As I was in fact accelerating, she would have had to be accelerating as well from her original slower speed, in order for us to even be side-by-side as they're claiming.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I smell:

A bunch of entitlement.
A history of poor driving (otherwise why make a big deal out of something that was going to be a cheap fix?).
Large insurance expenses being incurred by the other party in the event of a fault found.

IANAL (Danish or otherwise)While the dashcam footage may not be able to be used in a court of law to prove criminal behaviour it can certainly be used in the exjudicial decision making of an insurance company. I suggest inserting the dashcam footage in anus of other party sans lube.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have uploaded the relevant footage to Dropbox (including the preceding video showing perfectly normal driving, for context) and drawn a couple of sketches of the situation. The links to these files have been sent to my insurance company along with an almost verbatim repeat of my original statement, with additions pointing out the specific events in the video and a couple of lines added to rebuff the other party's accusations.

Most notably, she claims that I accelerated wildly alongside her, while the video clearly shows that I accelerated hard-ish from the light and thus actually stayed in front of her the whole way until I had completed my lane change, after which she accelerated alongside of me and sideswiped me.

Her whole explanation doesn't add up at all. She claims that I must have been annoyed at her driving slowly in the left lane and sideswiped her for some reason, but I was in front of her, so why would I be bothered by her driving slowly? In fact, if she had just been driving slowly in the left lane, there wouldn't have been an issue at all.

All this goddamn bother for a simple sideswipe that happened all the way back in goddamn September. gently caress that noise. I'm trying to stay as civil and neutral in my descriptions as possible, instead of resorting to accusations like she's doing.

I'll probably upload the footage to Youtube once the case is done and closed.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 22, 2016

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm retracting my positive review for the Mobius Action Cam. Barely 2 weeks into ownership, and it's decided to stop working. I tried 4 different microSD cards of varying classes and brands, and it just decided to stop working. Footage looked great for the entire ~2 weeks that the unit worked for, but not worth the $100 price tag given its obvious reliability issues.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 22, 2016

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

melon cat posted:

I'm retracting my positive review for the Mobius Action Cam. Barely 2 weeks into ownership, and it's decided to stop working. I tried 4 different microSD cards of varying classes and brands, and it just decided to stop working. Footage looked great for the entire ~2 weeks that the unit worked for, but not worth the $100 price tag given its obvious reliability issues.

I'm not going out on a limb here to suggest that maybe you just got a defective camera.

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra

PT Cruiser happened.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Torsion beam suspension handling is a little exaggerated even for a pt cruiser.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Christobevii3 posted:

Torsion beam suspension handling is a little exaggerated even for a pt cruiser.

Last one I drove felt like it was going to lift off and leave the road over 100km/h and that video just reinforces it

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

melon cat posted:

Did it fill the cards then stop recording? I forgot to turn loop recording back on after switching back and forth between the battery and the super capacitor, and it would consistently fill each card I tried before failing to record. Turning loop recording back on fixed it right up.

SeņorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso
Just checked on my Mobius Dash cam today and it has been chugging along just fine for about the last 3 months. Doesn't seem to have any issues with loop recording.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SeņorMisterioso posted:

Just checked on my Mobius Dash cam today and it has been chugging along just fine for about the last 3 months. Doesn't seem to have any issues with loop recording.
Mine had a problem when I didn't drive my car for a few weeks (and presumably the cap died). I'm pretty sure resetting it with the tool would resolve it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Let me just preface this by saying... I had already endured 15 minutes of gridlocked surface streets, (only having traveled about a mile) before reaching this interscection, so I am a bit more angried up than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OgM_jrFDFQ

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

drukqs posted:

Let me just preface this by saying... I had already endured 15 minutes of gridlocked surface streets, (only having traveled about a mile) before reaching this interscection, so I am a bit more angried up than usual.

*guitar riff*

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Always mind your space cushion folks. Not bothering to pull tape but on the way in to work today the van in front of me decided that today was the day he'd start braking at GREEN lights. I was maybe a foot away from hitting his dumb rear end. I assumed something had happened in front of him but no, just stopping at green lights today :what: If I'd known that I would have leaned on the horn the whole time.

In other news I saw this on reddit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346FO0B_qv8

Puckered up just watching it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

In other news I saw this on reddit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346FO0B_qv8

Puckered up just watching it.

"well, I guess that's kind of cutting the guy off, but you'd have to be a real baby to--" :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I should have noted this one is one of those 'wait for it' videos :) Something that looks like an official U-Haul account commented on the video so hopefully something can be done, but I'm not sure what unless you can prove who was driving the truck at that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

drukqs posted:

I really wish every dashcam video was like this.