Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Slowhanded posted:

Too many of the shows I watch aren't recorded by anyone for me to care (e.g., US Antiques Roadshow).

Yes, that's an ongoing issue for every alternative to cable...lack of having all shows. Though, Kodi (or Emby or whatever) on an Android TV box takes care of a lot of it as you can just use Kodi and jump into the PBS video app when required.

TheScott2K posted:

Also Kodi is basically a bunch of nerds butthurt over Plex actually being used and liked by normal people at this point

TheScott2K posted:

They make Plex for Android. You should use it. It's like if Kodi wasn't made for people who wear cargo pants in public. Having its icon on your home screen doesn't legally qualify as an abstinence pledge.

TheScott2K posted:

Must be nice living in the My Devices All Support Every Format utopia. Shame that you're sullying said utopia with trash like Kodi.

This is like the worst series of posts I can remember seeing in IYG in a long time.

Besides, "Kodi + usenet" is just code for "whatever-media-interface-you-want + usenet".

stevewm posted:

I used to be a big Kodi fanboy, but I don't even use it anymore.

I ended up wanting to access the same media on multiple devices, while do-able with Kodi (barely), its a kludge to setup and maintain.

So I have a little Core i3 box sitting in my office that runs nothing but Plex Server and holds all my media. Which in turn is accessed by multiple Roku 3s and a ShieldTV box. Everything just works. No dicking around with UPNP, setting up a SQL database, etc..

This is why you use Kodi with Emby. Emby maintains the database and does transcoding and streaming to mobile/remote devices while maintaining watched status in sync with your Kodi database. It's amazing and seamless.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with just using Plex or Emby without Kodi either, but if you want more control over how things look and work Kodi + Emby is just as capable as Plex on the access-on-multiple-devices front, while having a more powerful, and depending on who is configuring it, a potentially better UI/UX.

blugu64 posted:

This whole argument is what makes TiVo worth paying for fwiw

This doesn't really make any sense. Nerds being butthurt about media software doesn't have any effect on the actual utility of said software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Keep in mind after getting rid of cable, you will forget about 90% of those dumb rear end shows you used to watch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don Lapre posted:

Keep in mind after getting rid of cable, you will forget about 90% of those dumb rear end shows you used to watch.

This is very true.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Thermopyle posted:

Besides, "Kodi + usenet" is just code for "whatever-media-interface-you-want + usenet"

I'm pretty sure the people asking the question about what to use haven't cracked that code and just hear "Kodi+Usenet" as "Kodi+usenet," which is terrible advice for pretty much anyone who just wants a thing to watch their shows on.

quote:

This is why you use Kodi with Emby. Emby maintains the database and does transcoding and streaming to mobile/remote devices while maintaining watched status in sync with your Kodi database. It's amazing and seamless.

It requires you to configure two pieces of software to get the same result as this one media server that's supported by basically every streaming box (even the Apple one) but other than that it's amazing and seamless. Pay no attention to the seams!

I bet you think everyone should be using a NUC too.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 16, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

I'm pretty sure the people asking the question about what to use haven't cracked that code and just hear "Kodi+Usenet" as "Kodi+usenet," which is terrible advice for pretty much anyone who just wants a thing to watch their shows on.

I...just...don't know what to say to this. People who know what usenet is will be able to figure it out.

TheScott2K posted:

It requires you to configure two pieces of software to get the same result as this one media server that's supported by basically every streaming box (even the Apple one) but other than that it's amazing and seamless. Pay no attention to the seams!

But go ahead and ignore the rest of what I said while you stroke your irrational Kodi hate boner and wrongly claim that Plex is the "same result".

TheScott2K posted:

I bet you think everyone should be using a NUC too.

No, I do not.

I think people who have the technical chops should consider the NUC or a Shield TV and Kodi and Usenet and that if they decide the effort is worth it they will end up with an overall better experience modulo the neverending quest for That One Show That Is Not On My Cable-less Solution. I think your mom, or your sister, or uncle should use whatever streaming stick or box.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 16, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

...and Netflix has more than enough dumb white noise stuff to throw on in the background.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Wow. It must be a Friday.

There's no perfect solution and there are vested interests with serious money at stake insuring it will stay that way for the foreseeable future is the honest to God answer.

Which is why I go for the combination that leads to the least hassle for the most gain. A client-server combination in your house is neither hard to do (seriously, it's 2016 and we have not one, but two options in Emby and Plex that are both more advanced and stable than many a commercial application I have run across) nor will it "drive up power bills" - seriously? We're still buying in to that poo poo? People spend more money on light bulbs in a year than they do with the extra electricity required to run a small box that transcodes media for the times whatever <x> client can't handle it natively.

Set up a goddamn Emby (or Plex) server on some piece of poo poo machine with a CPU that was made after 2010, pay a little more attention to storage (which, in one form or another, you need to do anyway, hooking up USB drives to local media players these days is something you do if you still live in a dorm) and pick a client player that suits your needs and does a decent job running the apps you want. Maybe it is a Fire TV, maybe a Shield, or some POS off-brand Android knockoff box from Mongolia, or a Roku, or a NUC designed by engineers in Texas and built in Taiwan, whatever.

If you want to save cash and don't give a poo poo that other people are essentially funding the production of the content you like download it from Usenet - a lot of people have put in a tremendous amount of spare time to make this as automated as possible for you, and they keep improving on it for no compensation and/or pay for the streaming services you like and use those to suppliment content you essentially pay for but get off Usenet anyway because it is more convenient to do so. If you are dying for Live TV networks, find the least complicated OTA solution possible (in the US I'd vote for an HDHR+Emby but pick your poison) and/or pay for Sling TV and its lovely (but functional) business model. There you go.

You can try to reinvent the wheel on your own or latch on to one of several(!) solutions that already built the cart, up to you. The situation these days is so advanced from even 2007 (or 1999 when I first dabbled in HTPCs, the loving stone ages now) it's not even funny. Spend a little time researching and be happy.

Or spend the money and keep going with cable TV+Fire TV stick or something. I'm not suggesting that is the "wrong" choice, but this is the Cutting Cable thread so...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Outside of antenna to TV and/or VCR, TiVo is the easiest OTA 'solution'.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Or you can get dirt cheap 2011 netbook tier hardware that uses barely any power but can also throw multiple hd streams throughout your house because it doesn't have to transcode.

If you need to access your media outside of your home network, yeah, spend the extra money and set up Plex/Emby but most people are looking for 'how do i get my media from [computer/closet/spare room] to [tv/living room/bedroom]'

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spent two hours tracing cable wires around my house. There have been several past installs of cable, possibly ATT Uverse, and DirecTV. Lots of cut wires and terminated connections. If I were a scrap man, I'd be drunk on copper wire.

Anyway, old attic antenna is possibly beyond resurrection. I'll just buy a new one. I can hook it in to the latest DirectTV wires and have it going to 3 rooms in the house. The cable internet is on a direct line to a 4th room. Looks easy enough to reroute if needed.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Famous last words.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a roku, Netflix and Amazon prime. And an antenna for football. I don't know what Usenet is. What am I missing?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

BigFactory posted:

I have a roku, Netflix and Amazon prime. And an antenna for football. I don't know what Usenet is. What am I missing?

Content that isn't on any of those?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BigFactory posted:

It's content is like bit torrent but for cool kids. They always used to say "Don't talk about Usenet." But its well known enough that its always getting DMCA'd, so you have to sign up for secret Dutch websites to get you the secret encrypted indexes.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 16, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ixian posted:

Content that isn't on any of those?

what are we talking about? bad cable shows, basically, right?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, is there something crazy that I'm missing? I haven't had cable in a few years, never paid for premium channels, and have no problem going to the library to get DVDs of HBO shows and stuff as they come out.

I absolutely do not need to watch HGTV, Food Network, or ESPN programming, and if I really, really, really do, some of that is on Amazon anyways. But I'd rather read a book than watch a rerun of house hunters or iron chef.

FogHelmut posted:

It's content is like bit torrent but for cool kids. They always used to say "Don't talk about Usenet." But its well known enough that its always getting DMCA'd, so you have to sign up for secret Dutch websites to get you the secret encrypted indexes.

Ok that sounds horrible. I sit in front of a computer enough at work, I don't have any interest in going through that to watch tv. Get it, but not for me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BigFactory posted:

what are we talking about? bad cable shows, basically, right?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, is there something crazy that I'm missing? I haven't had cable in a few years, never paid for premium channels, and have no problem going to the library to get DVDs of HBO shows and stuff as they come out.

I absolutely do not need to watch HGTV, Food Network, or ESPN programming, and if I really, really, really do, some of that is on Amazon anyways. But I'd rather read a book than watch a rerun of house hunters or iron chef.

Ok that sounds horrible. I sit in front of a computer enough at work, I don't have any interest in going through that to watch tv. Get it, but not for me.

It's actually the more mainstream shows, I don't think the scene has any interest in the more obscure/bad ones. It's actually pretty simple to automate with Sickbeard and Sabnzbd. Just select your shows and soon you'll have 4tb of crap you never will watch or won't ever watch again.

Just to be clear, this is technically :filez: (you can argue if you can see the channels its the same as recording if you like) so this information is for entertainment purposes only.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Usenet is something people with Linux desktops use instead of torrents+VPN because they're dorks. They then suggest it to other people because they're idiots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I'll explain how usenet + kodi/emby work in my house. You could use Plex or Emby instead of Kodi, for the purposes of what usenet does for you it doesn't matter.

This isn't a how-to so I'll skip some not-pertinent stuff.

The first thing that happens is that an anonymous person(s) somewhere upload TV shows within a few minutes of them airing (note that airing usually means where they first air anywhere on the planet so they're often available before they air in your timezone).

A program called Sonarr knows which shows our household is interested in. When someone in my household hears about a show that we might be interested in, we click a bookmark in our browser or use an app on our phone which tells Sonarr that we care about the show.

When a show is available the following things happen:
  • Sonarr downloads the show.
  • Sonarr notifies Emby.
  • Emby downloads neat artwork, ratings, plot, cast, etc, for the show.
  • Emby manages all of this information for Kodi.
  • My Kodi homescreen has a list of recently added episodes, from which I can select and watch, or I just browse through a list of shows and select the episode I want.
  • As Emby manages my media database instead of Kodi it is super simple to maintain watched status between multiple TVs as well as to stream to mobile devices just like Plex.

(There's another program that you can use instead of Sonarr alongside Couchpotato that does movies instead of tv shows.)

The advantages to this setup:
  • Everything is in one nice-looking integrated interface. No jumping between different apps for different stuff.
  • You can customize how it all looks and works, and if you do a good job its easier to use than any app.
  • I haven't done a detailed comparison, but my gut tells me that on average the media quality is better than most streaming.
  • Fast forward and rewind work perfectly and instantaneously along with skip forward/back.
  • For 99% of people 99% of what you're interested in is going to be available via usenet.

The disadvantages of this setup:
  • There is a significant amount of configuration required to get it going. You have to configure a usenet client, Sonarr, couchpotato, a remote control, apps, a server to hold your data, etc.
  • There is some amount of ongoing maintenance required. (note that this is pretty insignifcant...I might spend 15 minutes a month fixing a TV show that was labeled wrong or something)
  • Not everything is going to be available. Like, random shows on HGTV or whatever. No sports.
  • User Ixian thinks that this setup is missing the discoverability of new content that apps like Netflix bring to the table. I don't think he's totally wrong, but I don't feel like its a huge drawback either. The amount of a drawback that it is is going to be dependent upon how much you care about discovering new content via the web rather than via your tv. We always add anything we hear about that might be slightly interesting, so our media server always has way more content to browse than we could ever watch.
  • A Usenet provider costs a bit of money. If you don't watch much TV you can use whats called a block provider where you pay a flat fee to download X GB, or you can pay 8-10 bucks a month for an unlimited provider. A good provider will max out your download speeds.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to most people because its not enough better to be worth the additional up-front time and effort. However, if you're knowledgeable enough or wanting to learn, you end up with something that is arguably better.

edit: clarified that you use Couchpotato alongside Sonarr and added that a usenet provider costs a bit.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 17, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Usenet is something people with Linux desktops use instead of torrents+VPN because they're dorks. They then suggest it to other people because they're idiots.

Stop posting.

Like, you may or may not have a valid point but you communicate like Nick Burns. (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/nick-burns-your-companys-computer-guy/n11524)

Which is ironic because he's the type of guy you're calling others.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

FogHelmut posted:

Spent two hours tracing cable wires around my house. There have been several past installs of cable, possibly ATT Uverse, and DirecTV. Lots of cut wires and terminated connections. If I were a scrap man, I'd be drunk on copper wire.

Anyway, old attic antenna is possibly beyond resurrection. I'll just buy a new one. I can hook it in to the latest DirectTV wires and have it going to 3 rooms in the house. The cable internet is on a direct line to a 4th room. Looks easy enough to reroute if needed.

Most cables for dish and cable use copper clad steel for the center conductor and aluminum foil and braid. There is shockingly little copper in them, so you can probably save yourself the trouble of stripping the cables down and bringing them to the recyclers :v:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I'll explain how usenet + kodi/emby work in my house. You could use Plex or Emby instead of Kodi, for the purposes of what usenet does for you it doesn't matter.

The first thing that happens is that an anonymous person(s) somewhere upload TV shows within a few minutes of them airing (note that airing usually means where they first air anywhere on the planet so they're often available before they air in your timezone).

A program called Sonarr knows which shows our household is interested in. When someone in my household hears about a show that we might be interested in, we click a bookmark in our browser or use an app on our phone which tells Sonarr that we care about the show.

• Sonarr notifies Emby.
  • My Kodi homescreen has a list of recently added episodes, from which I can select and watch, or I just browse through a list of shows and select the episode I want.
  • As Emby manages my media database instead of Kodi it is super simple to maintain watched status between multiple TVs as well as to stream to mobile devices just like Plex.

(There's another program that you can use instead of Sonarr called Couchpotato that does movies instead of tv shows.)

• Everything is in one nice-looking integrated interface. No jumping between different apps for different stuff.
  • You can customize how it all looks and works, and if you do a good job its easier to use than any app.
  • I haven't done a detailed comparison, but my gut tells me that on average the media quality is better than most streaming.
  • Fast forward and rewind work perfectly and instantaneously along with skip forward/back.
  • For 99% of people 99% of what you're interested in is going to be available via usenet.

• There is a significant amount of configuration required to get it going. You have to configure a usenet client, Sonarr, couchpotato, a remote control, apps, a server to hold your data, etc.
  • There is some amount of ongoing maintenance required. (note that this is pretty insignifcant...I might spend 15 minutes a month fixing a TV show that was labeled wrong or something)
  • Not everything is going to be available. Like, random shows on HGTV or whatever. No sports.
  • User Ixian thinks that this setup is missing the discoverability of new content that apps like Netflix bring to the table. I don't think he's totally wrong, but I don't feel like its a huge drawback either. The amount of a drawback that it is is going to be dependent upon how much you care about discovering new content via the web rather than via your tv. We always add anything we hear about that might be slightly interesting, so our media server always has way more content to browse than we could ever watch.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to most people because its not enough better to be worth the additional up-front time and effort. However, if you're knowledgeable enough or wanting to learn, you end up with something that is arguably better.

And this is quasi-legal or completely illegal and will subject people to possible litigation from angry content providers like Disney?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Stop posting.

Like, you may or may not have a valid point but you communicate like Nick Burns. (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/nick-burns-your-companys-computer-guy/n11524)

Which is ironic because he's the type of guy you're calling others.

Nick Burns uses Usenet and hates Plex for reasons that he struggles to explain without using the word "Anime."

Remember when this thread was about how to live without cable and not about how to cancel cable and pirate all the content you want?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle, one thing you've been missing when talking about Usenet is that it usually requires a subscription. All of the major ISPs have dropped their Usenet servers and if you want good quality unlimited binary access, you are going to pay for it.

Granted, it's not a ton (usually $8-$10 /month), but it is a cost that goes beyond just setup and equipment.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Thermopyle, one thing you've been missing when talking about Usenet is that it usually requires a subscription. All of the major ISPs have dropped their Usenet servers and if you want good quality unlimited binary access, you are going to pay for it.

Granted, it's not a ton (usually $8-$10 /month), but it is a cost that goes beyond just setup and equipment.

I've not really covered it because most of these things like Netflix or whatnot require a subscription. But yeah, it's something to know.

TheScott2K posted:

Nick Burns uses Usenet and hates Plex for reasons that he struggles to explain without using the word "Anime."

Remember when this thread was about how to live without cable and not about how to cancel cable and pirate all the content you want?

No one here hates Plex (I quite like it), but there is someone here who hates Kodi!

BigFactory posted:

And this is quasi-legal or completely illegal and will subject people to possible litigation from angry content providers like Disney?

It's quasi-illegal dependent upon your local laws. Personally, I pay for several content services because its the only (albeit sucky) way to support content creators. To quote the Usenet thread:

inpheaux posted:

Q: Usenet is safe, right?
A: Yeah, Usenet is totally safe, unless you start posting stuff. For the big bad (RI|MP)AA to get at you, they'd have to know what you're downloading, and simply put they can't unless you like . . tell them or something. If you start posting, well, that's a whole other thing.

Whether or not this matters to you is a personal choice.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

No one here hates Plex, but there is someone here who hates Kodi!

Someone call the burn unit! :drat:

Also call the trash collectors to go swing by wherever Kodi comes from.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigFactory posted:

Completely illegal but no way you can get caught.

Also see Kodi streaming add-ons that use filelockers. They're a good alternative if you don't want a hard copy or are low on hard drive space.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Completely illegal but no way you can get caught.

No way to get caught? More like nobody's bothered to catch you yet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon has a TiVo Roamio OTA with lifetime service for $299 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VZENLJ2WXJGHACN

azurite posted:

No way to get caught? More like nobody's bothered to catch you yet.

It's pretty much impossible to get caught downloading from usenet. And short of some type of honeypot situation, there's no real way of getting caught from using filelockers. Even in a honeypot situation, they'd only have your IP address. They'd be attempting to prosecute the top tier of uploaders, not the tens of thousands downloading.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

All of that content on peoples Plex libraries is totally the CNet Channel.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheScott2K posted:

Not really, people just used to be more discreet about it. It's always been mostly about how not to pay for cable TV.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thermopyle posted:

• Sonarr notifies Emby.

(There's another program that you can use instead of Sonarr called Couchpotato that does movies instead of tv shows.)

Thanks for this. I have Sonarr and Kodi, but never heard of Emby. Definitely worth looking into apparently.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks for this. I have Sonarr and Kodi, but never heard of Emby. Definitely worth looking into apparently.

We even have an Emby thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964

I was hesitant at first because I always just used MySQL and Kodi alongside Plex for remote streaming. The biggest issue with that is that your watched status doesn't easily sync between Kodi and Plex, but I never cared too much because I didn't stream too much.

I'm glad I switched to Kodi + Emby though. I can't really think of any downsides to it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thermopyle posted:

We even have an Emby thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964

I was hesitant at first because I always just used MySQL and Kodi alongside Plex for remote streaming. The biggest issue with that is that your watched status doesn't easily sync between Kodi and Plex, but I never cared too much because I didn't stream too much.

I'm glad I switched to Kodi + Emby though. I can't really think of any downsides to it.

Thanks! Just looked, and they're still building a Synology package, but there is a manual install.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Amazon has a TiVo Roamio OTA with lifetime service for $299 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VZENLJ2WXJGHACN

I had been waiting for a month or two for this to come back around, and finally gave up last week and bought the $50 version from Best Buy. Luckily I'm in the cancellation period so I can return that once this one comes in. For the price, it's the best over the air DVR and the most user friendly. I plan on buying a 3TB hard drive next time one goes on sale, since from what I've read you can just replace the hard drive with the new one, and the Tivo will auto format it and set it up.

If this interests you at all, you should probably jump on it. They replaced the Roamio line with the Bolt since it does OTA and cable, so who knows how much stock is left of these. They also have the Mini on sale, if you want to watch your recordings on another television.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Harsh Tokerman posted:

I had been waiting for a month or two for this to come back around, and finally gave up last week and bought the $50 version from Best Buy. Luckily I'm in the cancellation period so I can return that once this one comes in. For the price, it's the best over the air DVR and the most user friendly. I plan on buying a 3TB hard drive next time one goes on sale, since from what I've read you can just replace the hard drive with the new one, and the Tivo will auto format it and set it up.

If this interests you at all, you should probably jump on it. They replaced the Roamio line with the Bolt since it does OTA and cable, so who knows how much stock is left of these. They also have the Mini on sale, if you want to watch your recordings on another television.

The Bolt also does 4k and has a faster interface/apps. Though their app support is fairly limited they do support Netflix and Amazon 4k with the new UI. HBO Go is there but now Now, which would be annoying for cord-cutters.

If you don't care about 4k then the Roamio with lifetime is a pretty screaming deal for OTA either way. There's no 4k HBO app at all so you can just get a Chromecast or something for that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

TheScott2K posted:

You guys should be wearing helmets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ixian posted:

The Bolt also does 4k and has a faster interface/apps. Though their app support is fairly limited they do support Netflix and Amazon 4k with the new UI. HBO Go is there but now Now, which would be annoying for cord-cutters.

If you don't care about 4k then the Roamio with lifetime is a pretty screaming deal for OTA either way. There's no 4k HBO app at all so you can just get a Chromecast or something for that.

The Bolt does not have HBO Go.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

• Sonarr notifies Emby.

(There's another program that you can use instead of Sonarr alongside Couchpotato that does movies instead of tv shows.)

• A Usenet provider costs a bit of money. If you don't watch much TV you can use whats called a block provider where you pay a flat fee to download X GB, or you can pay 8-10 bucks a month for an unlimited provider. A good provider will max out your download speeds.

edit: clarified that you use Couchpotato alongside Sonarr and added that a usenet provider costs a bit.

So then Sonarr is like a Sickbeard/Sabnzbd?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's like Sickbeard, not Sab. It finds stuff on indexers and passes it to a download client of your choice (Sab or nzbget basically). It also has torrent support. There's a big Usenet thread in SHSC if you want more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is basically sickbeard. You still need sabnzbd.