Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vegetable posted:

Speaking as a film programmer, there are very few "diverse" films that are actually excellent any given year. Creed, Carol, Compton, Tangerine... What else can you really think of?

Beasts of No Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vegetable posted:

Literally nobody in the media has called Redmayne brave for doing the role, don't set up strawmen for yourself to tear down.

Everyone will, on oscar night, after they give Eddmayne his second statue.

And his terrible face will forever be with us.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've seen Spotlight finally, and while I enjoyed it...I can't help but shake the feeling that it's about an important issue more than it is an important movie or any kind of special artistic success.

It's good and there's nothing really wrong with it, but I probably wouldn't call it one of my favorites of the year.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I hope Redmayne screws Dicaprio.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TrixRabbi posted:

It's less that and it's more that there is phenomenal work being done by actual trans artists that is being consistently ignored by mainstream outlets in favor of heaping praise on Jared Leto and Eddie Redmayne for being so "brave" to play these roles that many trans writers have repeatedly criticized.

It's honestly kind of jarring when you look at the diversity of Emmy nominees versus the consistently tone deaf Oscar and Golden Globes.

edit: Basically, we're all mad that the most boring, establishment people have chosen to award the most boring, establishment films.
The articles you've referred to hold a striking similarity to the people who, 20 years ago, ragged on Philadelphia and Tom Hanks for not being gay enough. Never assume that just because you can find people saying something that it will be the consensus.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

I hope Redmayne screws Dicaprio.

This would probably win them both an Oscar.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Just watched Danish Girl ughhhhhhhhhh...
Redmayngina's face looks like a Fallout vault experiment; for 200 years we crossbred and crossbred, until we finally had a man, with the face of a child, who was also a gay horse.
Why we continue to pretend he can act just because he's playing tragic characters and always looks like he's going to cry is beyond me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I haven't seen The Danish Girl, but Redmayne's Oscar for The Theory of Everything was absolutely deserved.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
TFA will win best picture

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just world is a fallacy, friend

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Everyone calm down. Redmayne isn't gonna win the Oscar since his performance in the Danish Girl was good not great, and Leo is gonna win the Oscar this year so everyone can shut up about him not winning it ever. If you'd seen both Danish Girl and The Revenant you'd already know this to be true.

Idris Elba not getting best supporting is the only thing about the whole racism thing that really bothers me; but in all honesty, he may even have lost anyway, because Tom Hardy was surprisingly good in The Revenant as well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/m...g-article-click

Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett-Smith aren't going to the Oscars this year in protest of the all-white actor nominations. I generally agree that this is the biggest sign yet of how out of touch and useless the Academy has become.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

InterrupterJones posted:

Everyone calm down. Redmayne isn't gonna win the Oscar since his performance in the Danish Girl was good not great, and Leo is gonna win the Oscar this year so everyone can shut up about him not winning it ever. If you'd seen both Danish Girl and The Revenant you'd already know this to be true.

Idris Elba not getting best supporting is the only thing about the whole racism thing that really bothers me; but in all honesty, he may even have lost anyway, because Tom Hardy was surprisingly good in The Revenant as well.

Leo was not very good in The Revenant.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Judakel posted:

Leo was not very good in The Revenant.

Except that doesn't matter in the slightest and your 6-8 word posts aren't going to change it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except that doesn't matter in the slightest and your 6-8 word posts aren't going to change it.

exactly, all you need to see to figure out how arbitrary and stupid the oscars are is to read those interviews from academy voters that were in...variety I think?

I was reading them last year and there's poo poo like "I met this actor at a party last year, he was nice, I'm voting for him, I haven't seen any of the movies" and other utterly flabbergasting bullshit

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

cat doter posted:

I was reading them last year and there's poo poo like "I met this actor at a party last year, he was nice, I'm voting for him, I haven't seen any of the movies" and other utterly flabbergasting bullshit

It really is kind of surprising that Leo hasn't gotten an Oscar yet

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/m...g-article-click

Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett-Smith aren't going to the Oscars this year in protest of the all-white actor nominations. I generally agree that this is the biggest sign yet of how out of touch and useless the Academy has become.

Are they demanding affirmative action for Oscar nominations?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Arkane posted:

this isn't a loaded statement at all

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Arkane posted:

Yo why phrase this as a question when you've already got your extremely white rant ready no matter what the answer is

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think this is the first year in recent memory I've actually liked every Best Picture nominee I've seen and the only one I missed is Bridge of Spies. Still bummed to not see Creed/Sicario/Hateful Eight up there and I wish 99 Homes had been more widely seen but this is a good batch of movies and 2015 was a great year overall.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 19, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

sicaro is a major snub imo, it's fantastic

edit: like, the martian gets a nomination but not sicario? fucken bullshit

cat doter fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 19, 2016

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jenny Angel posted:

Yo why phrase this as a question when you've already got your extremely white rant ready no matter what the answer is

nah didn't have anything written, i was just going to copy and paste off of stormfront actually

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My favourite movie this year that nobody's seen or heard of was The Lobster :(

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cacator posted:

doesn't come out in the US for another couple of months. eligible for next year's oscars!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cacator posted:

I've heard great things about The Lobster for months fwiw. I'm looking forward to seeing such a weirdass movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Oscar nomination controversy is by the way a great way to get into a fight with all your lolbertarian Facebook acquaintances.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Most wordsalads are not worth your time. Recently, I read a lengthy post that examined the differences between Nightcrawler and Taxi Driver. The author noted that Taxi Driver was no longer as relevant as it once was since people did not care about individuals that "do" anymore; they only care about those that do "nothing" and bask in attention. Bottom-feeders, in other words. The author claimed that Nightcrawler was a sign of this shift. I paraphrase, but that was the general point. The post was well-written and possibly evocative. It was also posted sometime in-between mass-shootings by some loner with issues that dominate newscycles for a few days - which could be any time in the US.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I don't know why Brooklyn is getting so much hate in this thread. It's a drat good movie about how much you idioalize the people and places you leave behind. It's my 3rd favorite of the noms behind Spotlight which will win and Fury Road which in a crazy better world would win.

Bridge of Spies doesn't deserve to be nominated. It's honestly just Spielberg coasting like he has since saving Private Ryan.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

sbaldrick posted:

I don't know why Brooklyn is getting so much hate in this thread.

No explosions and there is a woman in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Bridge of Spies doesn't deserve to be nominated. It's honestly just Spielberg coasting like he has since saving Private Ryan.

Munich is not him coasting, in this or any other universe.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Bridge of Spies is worth your time, but it is nothing special. I don't think it should have been nominated.

Creed should have been, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Munich is not him coasting, in this or any other universe.

War of the Worlds, The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can, Minority Report, and A.I. aren't coasting either. Spielberg rules.

Now that I think about it all of those movies are probably better than Saving Private Ryan.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 20, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Saving Private Ryan is the only Spielberg that's made me fall asleep.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sbaldrick posted:

It had some very interesting camerawork, especially in the beginning.

Basebf555 posted:

War of the Worlds, The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can, Minority Report, and A.I. aren't coasting either. Spielberg rules.

Now that I think about it all of those movies are probably better than Saving Private Ryan.

Lincoln and Tin-TIn were pretty good too. And War Horse...made me feel much more emphatic towards a horse than I thought possible.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

sbaldrick posted:

I don't know why Brooklyn is getting so much hate in this thread. It's a drat good movie about how much you idealize the people and places you leave behind. It's my 3rd favorite of the noms behind Spotlight which will win and Fury Road which in a crazy better world would win.

I don't hate Brooklyn, it's a nice movie; it's just that "nice" is all you can really say about it. It's well done all round- well shot, well acted well designed, and it's a great movie to see when you've got your SO/mom/grandma and you just wanna see a good romance, but... there's just isn't that much more to say about it. None of the actors stretched or grew for their performance that I could see; the director, while having a flair for visual story telling*, didn't really try any new technique; the plot was able to be predicted from start to finish, and didn't try a clever way to reinforce a theme... it's just a good movie. I'm not saying the world has to be set on fire by your movie to win the Oscars, but if you're talking about a contest for great, classic movies**, shouldn't a movie be more than "pretty good"?

*one thing I enjoyed was that there was no great big placard announcing the date or time of anywhere, allowing the setting to tell us the setting and general time period- through the places Eilis (Saoirse Ronan's character) visits, the fashion at the time, the movies coming out, etc.

**Which the Oscars likes to think of itself as, anyway :v:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

sbaldrick posted:

I don't know why Brooklyn is getting so much hate in this thread.
A lot of people talking about it haven't seen it. I agree that it's really solid though. It's not a fresh idea, but it's a classic one done exceptionally well in every aspect and that's cool. I also thought it was pretty funny. I'd still rather see Creed/Sicario up here instead but Brooklyn's great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Judakel posted:

Most wordsalads are not worth your time. Recently, I read a lengthy post that examined the differences between Nightcrawler and Taxi Driver. The author noted that Taxi Driver was no longer as relevant as it once was since people did not care about individuals that "do" anymore; they only care about those that do "nothing" and bask in attention. Bottom-feeders, in other words. The author claimed that Nightcrawler was a sign of this shift. I paraphrase, but that was the general point. The post was well-written and possibly evocative. It was also posted sometime in-between mass-shootings by some loner with issues that dominate newscycles for a few days - which could be any time in the US.

link?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Somewhere in the streaming thread.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Those are all good, but Munich springs to mind every time someone bags on recent Spielberg. It is, to me, probably his most fully realised 'serious' film and it kind of amazes me that he directed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

sbaldrick posted:

Bridge of Spies is an important and timely morality tale. It's also expertly crafted and very funny.

• Locked thread