Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kashuno posted:

Skip a+ and probably linux+

If you do net+ then sec+ it'll be a good starting place. Part of the sec+ is just a bit more in depth version of the net+, so I'd start there. I don't really know what you're interested in doing in the future so idk what your future beyond those would be

Me either. That's part of the problem. But I appreciate the input (both of you). Maybe I'll find more inspiration as I go through the carts and define more of what each field entails. I'm a lot more technically capable than I ever gave myself credit for, so even though this stuff comes easily to me I have a lot of catching up to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

So, with the way the CE credits work, I know if you get a "higher level" cert for CompTIA, it will re up the ones below it (A+, Net+ Sec+, something at the end). A question came up with a coworker, if you take, say, your Sec+ and your Net/A+ has lapsed, does it renew those, or do you have to retake those cert exams?
If your cert has expired you have to re-take the current exam in order to regain certification. The "higher level" certs for renewal don't have to come from CompTIA though. My Sec+ expires in March and I'll be renewing it with CCNA: Security.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ozu posted:

If your cert has expired you have to re-take the current exam in order to regain certification. The "higher level" certs for renewal don't have to come from CompTIA though. My Sec+ expires in March and I'll be renewing it with CCNA: Security.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

If you use non-comptia continuing education credits, you also need to pay $50 a year to keep your cert ($150 at time of renewal).

It's more cost effective to study up for a month and take another comptia test for $150. It renews the old cert and gets you a new one.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

From what I can tell the price to re-take SY0-401 at Pearson Vue is $311. I believe it was $285 at the time I took it.

Unless you mean renewing it with like Cloud+ which seems sort of worthless.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Yeah, my certs are good for another 2 years,. When my N+ comes due, I'll probably renew with Sec+ (Even though I should have my CCNA by then, kind of dumb to pay fees). At some point I'm just going to let my CompTIA certs lapse, probably after my Sec+. However, a coworker's N+ is running out in March or so. Might see if I can get him to rush study the Sec+ to renew, save him a bit of money.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've got my job paying for certs this year. My N+ is up in June and even though I have a ccna I'll rush the Sec+ first thing this year to renew it. It will be a good compliment to the ccna security I plan on getting right after the S+, even though the two ccnas are worth way more than anything comptia can offer. 4 certs are better than 2 on the resume regardless of prestige.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Cross posting this to see if someone has an explanation or answer:

Anyone else have problems with ASA in GNS3? Console keeps hanging at unpacking initramfs. Tried using local server and GNS3 VM in VMware workstation, and upping the ram on the ASA and the GNS3 VM itself and its doing the same thing. I remember it being functional with 8.4.2 like a month and a half ago too because I was using it at work...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Should I even bother to jump through hoops to keep my A+ current if I'm not looking for fed jobs?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Should I even bother to jump through hoops to keep my A+ current if I'm not looking for fed jobs?

i got on as a contractor and all they gave a poo poo about was my sec+ and ccna RS

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
oh poo poo, my school is offering free Azure and VMware

decisions decisions...

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1000101 posted:

I use it all the time to validate various things before I do them. It's a tool you'll probably use a lot long after you pass any tests. If it includes the devices used in that exam then yes, worthy investment.

Does VIRL include the ASA product line? I don't have a lot of experience with ASAs and I don't want to make changes to our production ASA since I don't really have a way to test them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you use non-comptia continuing education credits, you also need to pay $50 a year to keep your cert ($150 at time of renewal).

It's more cost effective to study up for a month and take another comptia test for $150. It renews the old cert and gets you a new one.

Watch out about this because it can bite you in the rear end. If your CompTIA cert has a CE on the end of it, and you're planning on renewing it by getting a higher level cert you will still need to pay your CE fees to CompTIA before they will renew them. My co-worker, who is our EMC vendor rep, took Storage+ last week for shits and giggles and CompTIA accepted the scores and gave him the new cert, but he was told by them that his Sec+ and other certs wouldn't renew until he was current with his CE dues. Couple minutes after he shelled out his $150 his certs were renewed and all was well with the world.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Well disregard what I mentioned earlier. Today's announcement that our company lost one of our biggest customers seems to have inspired me to study a bit harder.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Watch out about this because it can bite you in the rear end. If your CompTIA cert has a CE on the end of it, and you're planning on renewing it by getting a higher level cert you will still need to pay your CE fees to CompTIA before they will renew them. My co-worker, who is our EMC vendor rep, took Storage+ last week for shits and giggles and CompTIA accepted the scores and gave him the new cert, but he was told by them that his Sec+ and other certs wouldn't renew until he was current with his CE dues. Couple minutes after he shelled out his $150 his certs were renewed and all was well with the world.

Storage+ is a bottom rank cert so I'm not surprised. Their official ranking goes A+, N+, S+. They say if you have more than one cert you only need to renew the highest level to keep them all. I take this to mean if I have N+ and pass the higher exam, S+, the N+ gets renewed.

I guess we'll see this year after I get the S+. If they want $150 for renewal I'll let it lapse.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Looking at their documentation the only higher level CompTIA cert that will renew Security+ by itself is the CASP. Other "higher level" ones like Cloud+ and Mobility+ only give you 10 and 13 of the 50 CEUs required. You're better off either re-taking or going 3rd party.

Really though, renewing CompTIA certs shouldn't even matter and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. The only 8570 cat that Sec+ touches that others like CCNA Sec don't is IAM 1.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Ozu posted:

Looking at their documentation the only higher level CompTIA cert that will renew Security+ by itself is the CASP. Other "higher level" ones like Cloud+ and Mobility+ only give you 10 and 13 of the 50 CEUs required. You're better off either re-taking or going 3rd party.

Really though, renewing CompTIA certs shouldn't even matter and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. The only 8570 cat that Sec+ touches that others like CCNA Sec don't is IAM 1.

Storage+ actually earned my coworker 50 CEUs and renewed his Sec+ cert, and everything that I've read and been told is that Cloud+ will also get you 50 CEUs. I'll have to double-check this to make sure it's worth the time to pursue.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Storage+ is a bottom rank cert so I'm not surprised. Their official ranking goes A+, N+, S+. They say if you have more than one cert you only need to renew the highest level to keep them all. I take this to mean if I have N+ and pass the higher exam, S+, the N+ gets renewed.

I guess we'll see this year after I get the S+. If they want $150 for renewal I'll let it lapse.

Interestingly enough I saw 3 people taking Storage+ at my test center on Friday.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Interestingly enough I saw 3 people taking Storage+ at my test center on Friday.

It was probably students from a class. There are lots of places teaching this stuff, but only so many test centers. I can't believe the stories people tell of driving 8+ hours to take a Network+ or whatever. Makes me feel silly about griping about having to drive half an hour to the test center here.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Has anyone taken the new CCNA Security test yet?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

It was probably students from a class. There are lots of places teaching this stuff, but only so many test centers. I can't believe the stories people tell of driving 8+ hours to take a Network+ or whatever. Makes me feel silly about griping about having to drive half an hour to the test center here.

I walk 10 minutes to get to a test center and I still complain about it

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eh out of curiosity how do you afford the certs in the first place? Looking at my crystal ball it's extremely expensive for the most entry-level (I'm halfway done with A+) exams.

Other than me waiting for free college in the next few yrs :bernget:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A couple hundred dollars for a Microsoft or Cisco cert is relatively meaningless in comparison to the return you can get with a higher level position. Stuff like the SANS training and certs that are $5-6k for the course you're almost certainly getting your job to pay for.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Alder posted:

Eh out of curiosity how do you afford the certs in the first place? Looking at my crystal ball it's extremely expensive for the most entry-level (I'm halfway done with A+) exams.

It's just like anything else, really. Either save up for it if the price is too high to just pay out of pocket, or have your workplace pay for it if that's an option. They are definitely kinda pricey if you're in debt and have a poo poo job currently, but just try to set aside some money every week for it if possible. If you're living paycheck to paycheck and can't even afford that, maybe ask your parents or something if that's an option.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

rafikki posted:

It's just like anything else, really. Either save up for it if the price is too high to just pay out of pocket, or have your workplace pay for it if that's an option. They are definitely kinda pricey if you're in debt and have a poo poo job currently, but just try to set aside some money every week for it if possible. If you're living paycheck to paycheck and can't even afford that, maybe ask your parents or something if that's an option.

Yes that sounds like the latter for me :cripes:

Mostly I feel like I could pass them but let's start with getting enough funding to buy vouchers & food/rent first.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Couple hundred dollars for a Cisco cert doubled my salary in less than a year.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Alder posted:

Mostly I feel like I could pass them but let's start with getting enough funding to buy vouchers & food/rent first.

I've been there (recently) and it sucks. It can get better though. Keep hanging in there and don't be afraid to reach out to family for help to advance your prospects. 2015 turned into an amazing year for me after I finally maxed out my credit card, emptied my bank account and had to move in with my parents for a couple of months while I crammed for the CCNA. After just passing the CCENT (first half of the CCNA), I got a job in a NOC at the end of 2014. Keep plugging away and get your resume out there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Sounds like me last year! I was living paycheck to paycheck in a Microsoft call center and when I finally paid for my A+ exams I had to live off ramen for a couple weeks. It is worth it in the end though; my salary is almost triple what I was making last year at this time (although granted upstate ny and Boston have different costs of living, it's still a major upgrade)

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Bigass Moth posted:

Couple hundred dollars for a Cisco cert doubled my salary in less than a year.

About 2 years ago I got into my network engineering position with a 22% raise, but no yearly bonus that year, or the next, when I got my CCNA, or this one. Company is too busy buying other companies and laying off those in mergers to give out raises. Dont know why I keep trying sometimes.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrBigglesworth posted:

About 2 years ago I got into my network engineering position with a 22% raise, but no yearly bonus that year, or the next, when I got my CCNA, or this one. Company is too busy buying other companies and laying off those in mergers to give out raises. Dont know why I keep trying sometimes.

You keep trying because you know you'll hit that sweetspot when either you are the one who gets layed off, or when you get fed up enough to look for a new job yourself.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
How much more difficult is the MCSA 70-411 compared to the 70-410?
I passed the 70-410 exam last friday. I used https://www.icttrainingen.nl/ to study for it.
I was planning on taking a small break on studying But I imagine it would be better if I pushed on and passed the 70-411 in february and 70-412 in march.
70-410 was really difficult. It took quite a while before i started to understand it all.
Is this viable? Is it realistic to do 411 in feb and 412 in march. Is that enough time. I hear 411 is difficult and that 412 is insane. I already had so much trouble studying for 410.

let's say by some miracle. I pass this all in march. Should I continue to go for MCSE and start the 70-413 exam or should I get CCNA?
Also can I add 70-410 to my linkedin page before passing all 3 or can it only be done after I pass all 3 exams?
mcp.microsoft lists my MTA and MCP certs. But I don't see a 70-410 cert.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 19, 2016

Squeeger
Apr 30, 2009
I'm in the middle of a career change and going through the process of gaining some IT skills and certifications to bulk up my CV. So far I have a Cert IT in IT Networking http://training.gov.au/training/details/ICA40411 and am now looking at some industry certs. This year I want to get at least ITIL Foundations and a MSCE in Server 2012 - is this realistic? My other option is to carry on and do a Diploma of Information Technology https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/ICA50111, which is the only one available for me to study online. I'm not looking to do any university degrees at the moment as I just want to get my foot in the door.

For ITIL, (apologies if this has been answered 1000 times) what is the best study guide out there? And for MSCE for that matter?

I'm looking to get into network administration or something along those lines, but am well aware I'll be starting from bottom rung until I get some legitimate experience - keeping in mind this is in Australia.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MrBigglesworth posted:

Then find a new company.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sefal posted:

How much more difficult is the MCSA 70-411 compared to the 70-410?
I passed the 70-410 exam last friday. I used https://www.icttrainingen.nl/ to study for it.
I was planning on taking a small break on studying But I imagine it would be better if I pushed on and passed the 70-411 in february and 70-412 in march.
70-410 was really difficult. It took quite a while before i started to understand it all.
Is this viable? Is it realistic to do 411 in feb and 412 in march. Is that enough time. I hear 411 is difficult and that 412 is insane. I already had so much trouble studying for 410.

let's say by some miracle. I pass this all in march. Should I continue to go for MCSE and start the 70-413 exam or should I get CCNA?
Also can I add 70-410 to my linkedin page before passing all 3 or can it only be done after I pass all 3 exams?
mcp.microsoft lists my MTA and MCP certs. But I don't see a 70-410 cert.

I did my MCSA in about a week; but I've been doing Windows admin work for a living for the last decade. and I dedicated literally all day, every day - throughout the whole process - to studying and practice tests and labs

70-410 was the worst, in that it included a lot of content from 411 and 412 (at least based on the course outlines / books). It was the only one I needed a retake on.

70-411 was much easier, but I just went straight from 410 to 411 in the same breath, with no pause between. This kept everything fresh and available for me.

Instead of 70-412 I took 74-409, it was much simpler for me as it followed my work environment closely. Additionally, no case study questions.

I'm debating the MCSE track right now. CCNA is a good one to have as it proves a fundamental level of networking knowledge that has value regardless of your specific role.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How bad of an idea would it be to try to renew my Cisco 100-101 on the same day I take the VMWare VCP550? PearsonVue is only open on weekdays and I don't get PTO, so bank holidays are my only chance to go. :(

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So on my 640-911 study that Im now backtracking through,

Can someone point me to different stuff on NX-OS on what you do at the (boot)# prompt and loader> prompt?

The only thing a web search is bringing me to is do an "install all" command where kickstart file is the first file referenced in the command followed by the system image. The 640-911 book didn't go over this AT ALL and a cursory glance at 640-916 in the same package doesnt contain it from what I can tell as well.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Alder posted:

Credit cards.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Credit cards.

no

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Alder posted:

If you're in this position then you almost certainly qualify for financial aid. Check out the IT offerings at your local community college. They may offer programs aligned with the CompTIA/Cisco exams.

Edit: If you take 6 credits per semester you qualify for part time and the government pays the interest on your student loans.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 20, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Anyone taken EC-Council's CEH course / gotten the cert? Wondering if it's more in the vein of a CISSP (lots of theory and term definitions) or more hands-on than that.

I'm also looking at the OSCP but I'm pretty sure I know what that one's about (it looks like fun for sure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Also on another tangent, has anyone taken ITIL certs?