Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010
I've been out of active duty for over a year in which during that time I have been finishing up my AS. The plan has been to move out to nevada from california once my school is done for work/cost of living/family. Either way my plan has been to join national guard, specifically a nevada guard unit that specializes in aviation + medical, or air national guard doing the same thing, I really don't know the differences. If I could find a reserve unit that did the same type of thing then I would keep that option in mind too.

Now the VA wants to do surgery(heart ablation for PVCs) on my heart for a condition the army found while I was active, but nothing ever happened while I was in because they ruled it out as not being that bad. But since being out, the VA has been pretty anal about my heart and now want to do a surgery. I'm already getting a second opinion on it from a non VA doc.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it to much, but I know heart conditions are dis-qualifiers at meps, added in with the surgery. But me being IRR, honorably discharged, nothing bad on my record, still in physically good shape(if not better since I've been out lol)and still eligible to reenlist, would getting this surgery be detrimental to joining the guard?

25 lighters fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Best bet is to make in-roads with the Guard units that you are interesting in joining and get in touch with one of their recruiters to figure out what the process is for you to join/what the medical standards are/what's waiverable/etc. Going from IRR back to active service (whether part time or full time in the Guard) may not require a full trip to MEPS, I honestly don't know.

Joining the Guard is often sort of like rushing a frat, for much of the same reasons. They want to make sure you're a "good dude" before they'll buy off on letting you into the unit, since unlike AD if you're an rear end in a top hat you don't move on in the next 2-4 years, they're stuck with you until you quit, die, or retire. From first-hand experience I can say this is true for the Nevada ANG, can't definitively say for the ARNG but I'd assume it's the case. So if you're seriously interested in the Guard I'd recommend start making some inquiries now with the unit(s) you're interested in to hopefully have something lined up by the time you're ready to join/move.

What Nevada Guard unit(s) were you looking at? I didn't know they had an aviation + medical unit...

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Best bet is to make in-roads with the Guard units that you are interesting in joining and get in touch with one of their recruiters to figure out what the process is for you to join/what the medical standards are/what's waiverable/etc. Going from IRR back to active service (whether part time or full time in the Guard) may not require a full trip to MEPS, I honestly don't know.

Joining the Guard is often sort of like rushing a frat, for much of the same reasons. They want to make sure you're a "good dude" before they'll buy off on letting you into the unit, since unlike AD if you're an rear end in a top hat you don't move on in the next 2-4 years, they're stuck with you until you quit, die, or retire. From first-hand experience I can say this is true for the Nevada ANG, can't definitively say for the ARNG but I'd assume it's the case. So if you're seriously interested in the Guard I'd recommend start making some inquiries now with the unit(s) you're interested in to hopefully have something lined up by the time you're ready to join/move.

What Nevada Guard unit(s) were you looking at? I didn't know they had an aviation + medical unit...

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't know if there are any actual units that do air ambulance/sar type of stuff in nevada, that's is just what I am specifically looking for and will definitely make calls around to find out. Im aware that there's an Air National Gaurd too and maybe that is more up my alley?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

25 lighters posted:

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't know if there are any actual units that do air ambulance/sar type of stuff in nevada, that's is just what I am specifically looking for and will definitely make calls around to find out. Im aware that there's an Air National Gaurd too and maybe that is more up my alley?

Depends. NV ANG has two units as far as I know....152d Airlift wing is up in Reno, pretty standard AF unit that flies C-130s, so they have C-130 specific jobs (pilot, nav, flight eng, loadmaster) as well as the standard AF support jobs (mx, logistics, cops, CE, medical, personnel, etc). There's also the 232 Operations Squadron at Creech, they are primarily ops (pilot and sensor operator) and mx (RPA mx), with a smattering of other jobs (intel mostly), all augmenting active duty at Creech. I'm intimately familiar with the Creech/232 OS bubbas so if you want to get a job in Vegas with the NV ANG let me know. Outside of those two that's it as far as I know for NV ANG jobs. Army Guard I can't really speak to, but I don't think they have much of a helo presence.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Depends. NV ANG has two units as far as I know....152d Airlift wing is up in Reno, pretty standard AF unit that flies C-130s, so they have C-130 specific jobs (pilot, nav, flight eng, loadmaster) as well as the standard AF support jobs (mx, logistics, cops, CE, medical, personnel, etc). There's also the 232 Operations Squadron at Creech, they are primarily ops (pilot and sensor operator) and mx (RPA mx), with a smattering of other jobs (intel mostly), all augmenting active duty at Creech. I'm intimately familiar with the Creech/232 OS bubbas so if you want to get a job in Vegas with the NV ANG let me know. Outside of those two that's it as far as I know for NV ANG jobs. Army Guard I can't really speak to, but I don't think they have much of a helo presence.

I'll keep it in mind but none of that fits what I'm looking for tbh. Thanks though. I think it's possible to live in a different state your NG unit is located, that might be what I'm looking for.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

25 lighters posted:

I'll keep it in mind but none of that fits what I'm looking for tbh. Thanks though. I think it's possible to live in a different state your NG unit is located, that might be what I'm looking for.

Definitely, more than a few NV ANG guardsmen that I know in the Vegas area technically live in CA for various reasons. I'd recommend finding a unit that has what you're looking for and then figuring out where you can live in/around that area. Same goes even more so for the Reserves. There's a couple different sites you can look at for Guard/Reserve jobs, let me know if you need some links.

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

I'm getting pretty dang confused over which branch to join. I want to enlist and become intel, but it's hard to figure out which branch is least poo poo for that sort of thing. Marines I talk to bitch about how much better people in the Army are, Army folks bitch about how much better Marines are, and I don't think I care enough about planes or boats to enjoy much about being in the respective branches. I'm not concerned about security clearance or ASVAB scores; I got a 95% on the little predictive test they give you and I'm too boring to have anything that disqualifies me from top secret clearance.

Are there any goons in intel that can give me advice? Which branch would best fulfill my [crippling map-related autism / desire to become powerpoint proficient]? Does Navy and Air Force intel analyze information relevant to ground forces, or do they just analyze information relevant to their forces and pass any other collected data on to the concerned branch?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I work in a Navy IS unit and on a whole there is very little complaining about the rate which is unusual in itself.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
If you're really interested in targeting, Air Force is where you want to be. The 1N1 career field is the imagery analysts, and they're broken down into two shreds. One is the imagery analysts. These are the guys who look at overhead imagery and say "There are X number of X type of planes sitting on this tarmac. Oh, by the way, these ones were recently refueled or had armaments placed on them." The other shred is targeteers. These guys look at imagery, but instead of saying what it is, they tell pilots how best to blow it up.

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

Those both sound pretty interesting. An Army career counselor I spoke with said that Air Force deals with all sorts of subjects: suspicious-looking encampments, air fields, armor columns, fleet movements, whatever they can get pictures of with a C-130, but he seemed almost overly-enthusiastic about the Air Force, so I'm wondering if that's true.

Also, is there any enlisted job that would deal more with deriving intent from imagery, or is that more of an officer thing?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Lazy Reservist posted:

If you're really interested in targeting, Air Force is where you want to be. The 1N1 career field is the imagery analysts, and they're broken down into two shreds. One is the imagery analysts. These are the guys who look at overhead imagery and say "There are X number of X type of planes sitting on this tarmac. Oh, by the way, these ones were recently refueled or had armaments placed on them." The other shred is targeteers. These guys look at imagery, but instead of saying what it is, they tell pilots how best to blow it up.

Truth in advertising, a sizable portion of USAF intel (particularly imagery anything) is currently tied up in DCGS's doing something along the lines of "yeah that guy looks bad, let's watch him for a while......okay now he's on a motorbike...........now he's walking........now he's in a house........now he went to sleep.....now he just took a dump........now he's loving a goat.........now he's walking again..............now he's back on a motorbike...............*5 days later*....alright he's doin' some bad poo poo, let's go kinetic........*60 minutes later the strike's lined up and the JTAC clears the MQ-9 hot* *boom*"

"Hey that guy running away looks bad, let's watch him for a while..."

OP don't think I'm discouraging you from doing intel because there's a helluva lot worse jobs to do in the AF as well as the military as a whole. Just didn't want you thinking that the entirety of the career field is looking at air fields and tanks and warships and cool poo poo like that and thinking of ways to blow them up. It's just that a lot of what we're doing today as a military is less focused on high-end conflict and more focused on stuff like Iraq (Part II or Part III) and Afghanistan. That's not to say that there aren't other things out there or that you're guaranteed to do nothing but sit in a windowless room in front of a bunch of computer monitors slamming Monsters and watching Afghans take dumps...but it's also not to say that you won't be doing exactly that if you enter as an imagery anything intel AFSC.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I watched sketchy looking people on IR cameras during off-patrol days in The United States Marine Corps Infantry.

And then, by the time I got sick of that, I got to do other stuff that was more befitting a man (like me) with a big ol' penis (like mine).

..But like 95% of GiP is either air wing or intel (or Cole) so by all means don't listen to the proud and the few who want you to feel good about your four+ years as a slave.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Victor Vermis posted:

I watched sketchy looking people on IR cameras during off-patrol days in The United States Marine Corps Infantry.

And then, by the time I got sick of that, I got to do other stuff that was more befitting a man (like me) with a big ol' penis (like mine).

..But like 95% of GiP is either air wing or intel (or Cole) so by all means don't listen to the proud and the few who want you to feel good about your four+ years as a slave.

You should go Marine Corps Intel so you can do some intel related stuff but also get to do all the fun things POGs do to try to convince themselves they are as tough as infantrymen. Ever wanted to carry a telephone pole 4 blocks up a hill because your company commander saw an infantry platoon doing it once? Sign up now before all the combat vets EAS.

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

Victor Vermis posted:

This sounds like a half-joke but Marines right now seem to be tied with Air Force, largely because the Marine office at the local recruitment center is run by good people who are dead set on making people ready for the military, while the Air Force office has a phone number on the window that you call to get the recruiter to show up. Right now I suppose I'm mostly trying to figure out what the difference is between what Marine intelligence and Air Force intelligence do, and if there really is a huge difference between Marines in intel and Air Force folks in intel.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

About 30lbs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Shim was AF intelligence, while Marine intelligence is pretty much an oxymoron. What I'm saying is you'll be hosed over in varying ways with each of those options and nobody gives a gently caress about that experience in the civilian world. And if you want to go contractor, I suggest you start looking at job listings to see how much experience they're looking for.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
My experience working with sister services has shown that each branch is really good at one type of intel. Air Force is good at imagery, Navy/Marines are good at SIGINT/ELINT, and Army is good at HUMINT.

iyaayas01 posted:

Truth in advertising, a sizable portion of USAF intel (particularly imagery anything) is currently tied up in DCGS's doing something along the lines of "yeah that guy looks bad, let's watch him for a while......okay now he's on a motorbike...........now he's walking........now he's in a house........now he went to sleep.....now he just took a dump........now he's loving a goat.........now he's walking again..............now he's back on a motorbike...............*5 days later*....alright he's doin' some bad poo poo, let's go kinetic........*60 minutes later the strike's lined up and the JTAC clears the MQ-9 hot* *boom*"

"Hey that guy running away looks bad, let's watch him for a while..."

OP don't think I'm discouraging you from doing intel because there's a helluva lot worse jobs to do in the AF as well as the military as a whole. Just didn't want you thinking that the entirety of the career field is looking at air fields and tanks and warships and cool poo poo like that and thinking of ways to blow them up. It's just that a lot of what we're doing today as a military is less focused on high-end conflict and more focused on stuff like Iraq (Part II or Part III) and Afghanistan. That's not to say that there aren't other things out there or that you're guaranteed to do nothing but sit in a windowless room in front of a bunch of computer monitors slamming Monsters and watching Afghans take dumps...but it's also not to say that you won't be doing exactly that if you enter as an imagery anything intel AFSC.

Dammit, I'm trying to sell a career field here!

But yeah, this is the unsexy side of imagery, or any other intel field, that your recruiter won't tell you about. It's pretty much 90% monitoring/analyzing and 10% executing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Typical Gnu posted:

This sounds like a half-joke but Marines right now seem to be tied with Air Force, largely because the Marine office at the local recruitment center is run by good people who are dead set on making people ready for the military, while the Air Force office has a phone number on the window that you call to get the recruiter to show up. Right now I suppose I'm mostly trying to figure out what the difference is between what Marine intelligence and Air Force intelligence do, and if there really is a huge difference between Marines in intel and Air Force folks in intel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m93Ct7QPCMg

Don't join the Marine Corps unless you want the entire package. I wasn't joking when I told you that even the POGiest of desk jockeys will do dumb poo poo like run telephone poles up hills because you are a "warrior". If that makes you hard and you want to be surrounded by folks who think mental fortitude makes up for being dumb as gently caress, sign up tomorrow.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Typical Gnu posted:

largely because the Marine office at the local recruitment center is run by good people who are dead set on making people ready for the military, while the Air Force office has a phone number on the window that you call to get the recruiter to show up.

There's a lesson here about which service you should join, hope you can figure it out since you're trying to go intel!

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

iyaayas01 posted:

There's a lesson here about which service you should join, hope you can figure it out since you're trying to go intel!

Well, the part of me that wants to join the Marines says that it means the Air Force generally doesn't have people that care as much as the Marines do, but the part that wants to go into the Air Force says that it means the Air Force doesn't have to try as hard to convince people to join.
From what I've heard from folks in this thread and other military folks I've talked to I'm thinking that the Air Force would be a better fit for me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The first part is demonstrably inaccurate. There are a lot of people who really do care about the mission, people, etc in the Air Force. The problem is most of them never rise above E-7 or O-3.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And from working along side a marine unit, marines only seem to give a gently caress about what they look like to their superiors, so they can get promoted. If they think that they need to put your life and health and well being in danger, then they don't give a gently caress.

Which basically makes it identical to the army in that respect.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you're joining a group led by a bunch of self-serving assholes. all that really matters is the color you are going to wear

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Air Force enlisted is pretty cush compared to the other branches. The Air Force isn't exactly hurting for recruits at the moment.

This isn't to say it's a better or a worse choice than the Corps. Just that you get dicked with much less, and the recruiters don't need to fight to get anyone in the door. It also won't toughen you up the way being a Marine would. If you want to feel like you're in the military all the time, the Air Force is def not your cup of tea.

Don't enlist in the Air Force.

Don't enlist in the Marine Corps.

Don't enlist.

Grow a beard and enjoy life.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Be a man. Join the infantry.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you do want the grass to grow green, dont you

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Be a man. Join the infantry.

translated to grunt: don't be a pussy you loving pussy, have some heart

now go over there and scrub those rocks clean with that toothbrush while i jack off in the portashitter

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mike-o posted:

translated to grunt: don't be a pussy you loving pussy, have some heart

now go over there and scrub those rocks clean with that toothbrush while i jack off in the portashitter

This isn't a joke, it's a warning.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
At work me and my co-workers ended up talking about registering for the draft and as conversations tend to drift, we were talking about maximum age for enrolling and seeing how we were both eligible for Air National Guard, I checked the job opportunities at our local base (Selfridge in Michigan, home of the 127th wing) AND... I saw a few I was interested in (aircraft maintenance and service mostly).

How bad of an idea is this? Along the lines of "You're stupid for even thinking this is an idea"?

38, 4-year IT degree but generally unhappy with my career path.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fire Storm posted:

At work me and my co-workers ended up talking about registering for the draft and as conversations tend to drift, we were talking about maximum age for enrolling and seeing how we were both eligible for Air National Guard, I checked the job opportunities at our local base (Selfridge in Michigan, home of the 127th wing) AND... I saw a few I was interested in (aircraft maintenance and service mostly).

How bad of an idea is this? Along the lines of "You're stupid for even thinking this is an idea"?

I'm a 38 year old Navy Reservist who only joined up last year.

First thing, I heard the wait list for Air Force is pretty lengthy, you may age out. Otherwise I dont know about the Air Force.

Would I do it again? Yes, it was a nice little break from life and watching the kids do amazingly stupid stuff is fun until you realize this is our armed forces. The Navy Reserves is a real mess to navigate if you have not had prior service.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Fire Storm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYodLUtySHk

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Has anyone had any experience with applying for benefits when ETSing (or possibly being med boarded) for something that is based on a congenital problem?

I injured my back a couple years ago and have had constant lower back pain to the point where sometimes I have problems putting on my boots and a significantly reduced range of motion. I was just recently X-rayed again and told I have very mild scoliosis (13 degrees) and reduced thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis (my lower back is too straight and doesn't have the inward curve). I've done physical therapy to no effect and am being referred to pain management. I've never had a problem until I joined the Army and did something to cause it to start hurting constantly. Any idea what I can expect?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
With a congenital/hereditary condition the burden of proof will be on them to prove that you are experiencing the natural progression of the disease and that you would have experienced these problems eventually regardless of whether you joined the military or not. Supposedly the presumption is that military service permanently aggravated the pre-existing condition and you will get benefits unless they "prove" otherwise. You can strengthen your case by making sure you have documented the injury that worsened your condition and trying to get a doctor, military or civilian, to put into writing that it is "at least likely as not" that your condition was caused or aggravated by your military service and injuries sustained therein. The amount of time you have served also plays a significant role with pre-existing conditions where if you have been in for more 8 years then any pre-existing conditions will be rated even if they are determined to be existing prior to service (EPTS).

Here is some relevant info:

quote:

Physical or mental disabilities that make a Soldier unfit may have existed prior to entering the service (EPTS). Causes of EPTS disabilities include hereditary or congenital defects or injuries with an inception before entering active service. There is a presumption that pre-existing conditions have been service-aggravated, but this presumption can be overcome if the PEB determines that the worsening of any condition followed the “natural progression” of the pre-existing injury or disease based on well-established medical principles.

If a Soldier has less than eight years total active service (see eight-year rule on next page) he/she could be separated from the service without disability benefits. This would happen if the PEB deems a Soldier's injuries EPTS and his/her condition has not been permanently aggravated by military service. By law, the Army only compensates for those conditions that were caused by, or permanently aggravated as a result of, military service.

It is possible for a Soldier to possess a physical or mental disability and never experience a problem until he/she faces the stresses of military life. The physical and emotional stress of military training can cause a latent condition to appear or an old injury to worsen to the point that the Soldier is no longer able to perform his/her military duties.

To appeal a finding of EPTS, a Soldier must present medical evidence that the condition did not exist prior to entering the service, or provide medical evidence documenting that military service permanently aggravated a pre-existing condition.

Title 10 USC, Sec. 1207a. "Members with over eight years of active service: eligibility for disability retirement for pre-existing conditions

(a) In the case of a member described in subsection (b) who would
be covered by section 1201, 1202, or 1203 of this title but for the
fact that the member's disability is determined to have been
incurred before the member became entitled to basic pay in the
member's current period of active duty, the disability shall be
deemed to have been incurred while the member was entitled to basic
pay and shall be so considered for purposes of determining whether
the disability was incurred in the line of duty.
(b) A member described in subsection (a) is a member with at
least eight years of active service."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been looking into enlisting again, and I might just be hosed, but I'm not sure. I'd be coming in as a prior service guy. The background is that I joined in 07 as an infantryman, graduated OSUT, Airborne, and R.I.P. Later on I was sent to a standard airborne unit where I was waivered to specialist at 18 months to the day. About that time, I was flagged for hearing loss with an H-3 profile, and forced to reclass to 25S, which is some signal poo poo. The problem was that the retention NCO at my old unit sent me to AIT for 25S despite the course mandating at least 3 years time in service, while I only had 2.5 left. When this was all discovered, they told me to re-enlist, and I said no. After a little less than a year of fighting with them through the IG and JAG and getting nowhere, it seemed pretty clear they were just going to let me sit out the rest of my enlistment in hold for a class I wasn't eligible for. As a hot-headed kid who joined 100% to be an infantryman and who had been in the Army since a few days after I graduated high school, and was getting treated like poo poo on the daily by a bunch of TRADOC POGs because I "couldn't hack it in the Army," I was just ready to move on. So I got pissed off and just started showing up to work whenever I felt like, not wearing my uniform, not getting haircuts, that kind of thing. Just get me the hell out of there. I ended up getting out on a pattern of misconduct discharge with a 3 for a re-entry code.

Skip forward to today, and I'm very interested in going active duty Civil Affairs, which is 38B. It has a 107 GT score requirement (my GT score was 126), and as far as I know, it's one of the few MOS's that is short for people. I spoke to a SSG recruiter for a half hour or so, and about that time the SFC came to investigate. He looked at my DD214 and saw the re-entry code and the pattern of misconduct reason and just said "no." According to him the Army isn't waivering anything misconduct related right now. I get that it's not 2008 anymore, but he wasn't aware of my intention to go Civil Affairs, which is (I believe) short, or that I'm gaining proficiency in Arabic. He referred me to the VA saying I needed to get my discharge changed. My last dealings with the VA were back in 2010 or so, so my natural instinct was "Oh yeah, too easy. :jerkbag:."

Onto the questions. First off, is there anything I can do besides vote for Lindsey Graham to try and help myself get a waiver here? Even with the misconduct, given my first 18 months of service included becoming a Ranger and getting waivered to E-4, I have a pretty strong record of service prior to the whole reclass gently caress up. Graduating R.I.P. shows that I have what it takes to pass Civil Affairs training, I've already gotten a head start on a language, and Civil Affairs seems to be a pretty restrictive MOS given the high GT requirement. I don't really see who they could be getting that's a better candidate than me. And if that's a dead end, what are my options as far as getting my discharge changed to something that won't preclude me from enlisting? While trying to get something done with the VA is analogous to smashing your face against a brick wall over and over and expecting something to change in my experience, maybe this situation is different? I don't care about my GI bill (since I'd get it again with my Civil Affairs enlistment), or any other benefits. The only goal with this would be to set myself up to be able to join the Army, which might make them look at it a little differently. Any thoughts?

Edit: Also would I have any more luck looking into the reserves?

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 20, 2016

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Volkerball posted:

So I've been looking into enlisting again, and I might just be hosed, but I'm not sure. I'd be coming in as a prior service guy. The background is that I joined in 07 as an infantryman, graduated OSUT, Airborne, and R.I.P. Later on I was sent to a standard airborne unit where I was waivered to specialist at 18 months to the day. About that time, I was flagged for hearing loss with an H-3 profile, and forced to reclass to 25S, which is some signal poo poo. The problem was that the retention NCO at my old unit sent me to AIT for 25S despite the course mandating at least 3 years time in service, while I only had 2.5 left. When this was all discovered, they told me to re-enlist, and I said no. After a little less than a year of fighting with them through the IG and JAG and getting nowhere, it seemed pretty clear they were just going to let me sit out the rest of my enlistment in hold for a class I wasn't eligible for. As a hot-headed kid who joined 100% to be an infantryman and who had been in the Army since a few days after I graduated high school, and was getting treated like poo poo on the daily by a bunch of TRADOC POGs because I "couldn't hack it in the Army," I was just ready to move on. So I got pissed off and just started showing up to work whenever I felt like, not wearing my uniform, not getting haircuts, that kind of thing. Just get me the hell out of there. I ended up getting out on a pattern of misconduct discharge with a 3 for a re-entry code.

Skip forward to today, and I'm very interested in going active duty Civil Affairs, which is 38B. It has a 107 GT score requirement (my GT score was 126), and as far as I know, it's one of the few MOS's that is short for people. I spoke to a SSG recruiter for a half hour or so, and about that time the SFC came to investigate. He looked at my DD214 and saw the re-entry code and the pattern of misconduct reason and just said "no." According to him the Army isn't waivering anything misconduct related right now. I get that it's not 2008 anymore, but he wasn't aware of my intention to go Civil Affairs, which is (I believe) short, or that I'm gaining proficiency in Arabic. He referred me to the VA saying I needed to get my discharge changed. My last dealings with the VA were back in 2010 or so, so my natural instinct was "Oh yeah, too easy. :jerkbag:."

Onto the questions. First off, is there anything I can do besides vote for Lindsey Graham to try and help myself get a waiver here? Even with the misconduct, given my first 18 months of service included becoming a Ranger and getting waivered to E-4, I have a pretty strong record of service prior to the whole reclass gently caress up. Graduating R.I.P. shows that I have what it takes to pass Civil Affairs training, I've already gotten a head start on a language, and Civil Affairs seems to be a pretty restrictive MOS given the high GT requirement. I don't really see who they could be getting that's a better candidate than me. And if that's a dead end, what are my options as far as getting my discharge changed to something that won't preclude me from enlisting? While trying to get something done with the VA is analogous to smashing your face against a brick wall over and over and expecting something to change in my experience, maybe this situation is different? I don't care about my GI bill (since I'd get it again with my Civil Affairs enlistment), or any other benefits. The only goal with this would be to set myself up to be able to join the Army, which might make them look at it a little differently. Any thoughts?

Edit: Also would I have any more luck looking into the reserves?

Real talk: Your life must really suck if you are looking at enlisting in the Army again. I'd seriously look at other ways to improve your situation other than the mil because you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of coming back in. You got kicked out for a pattern of misconduct. I've never seen anyone ever get their RE Code upgraded for a discharge like that and between me and the Army recruiters, I probably talked to 40 or 50 who tried. No one would take you with an RE-3 during the surge (2006-2009) so I doubt that anyone would even spend time talking to you when all the branches are downsizing.

I'm not saying this to be mean. You just need to know that without getting your discharge upgraded, no one will spend any effort working with you.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 20, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Real talk: Your life must really suck if you are looking at enlisting in the Army again. I'd seriously look at other ways to improve your situation other than the mil because you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of coming back in. You got kicked out for a pattern of misconduct. I've never seen anyone ever get their RE Code upgraded for a discharge like that and between me and the Army recruiters, I probably talked to 40 or 50 who tried. No one would take you with an RE-3 during the surge (2006-2009) so I doubt that anyone would even spend time talking to you when all the branches are downsizing.

I'm not saying this to be mean. You just need to know that without getting your discharge upgraded, no one will spend any effort working with you.

Well it's certainly not something I ever expected to be looking at again, but I stumbled across Civil Affairs and realized it would lead really nicely into doing something on the civilian side that I actually enjoy. It was the only thing in the military I was considering. But thanks, a definitive answer is what I needed to close the book on this.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
After tons of paperwork and running back and forth, they have decided to send my case to the Surgeon General. They said I'll be waiting about six to eight weeks for the results, and I talked to my uncle who was a colonel in the AF, and he said that this is going to most likely be good for me. I know everything is out of my hands at this point, but what is everyones experience with cases that get escalated? I wasn't on medication, so they said that would help a ton, but is there a certain way they review the case? And if I do get declined can I try to go with a waiver, or is it just over if I get declined?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It sounds like this IS to try to get you a waiver. I haven't been following your story, though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Zetta_Slow posted:

After tons of paperwork and running back and forth, they have decided to send my case to the Surgeon General. They said I'll be waiting about six to eight weeks for the results, and I talked to my uncle who was a colonel in the AF, and he said that this is going to most likely be good for me. I know everything is out of my hands at this point, but what is everyones experience with cases that get escalated? I wasn't on medication, so they said that would help a ton, but is there a certain way they review the case? And if I do get declined can I try to go with a waiver, or is it just over if I get declined?

Anything going to the surgeon general is for a waiver. If you are denied enlistment because of a disqualification that the surgeon general didn't waive, your options are pretty limited. I've heard of folks writing their congressman and having general officers write letters on their behalf, but I've never seen it actually get a waiver approved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's a 3-star with no chance at promotion, so it's doubtful another general is going to have any influence unless they're friends.