Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Probably for trade-related stuff.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Even though the games aren't online so who loving cares if you are cloning and cheating in these 18 year old roms.

Cheaters never prosper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fortunately Pokemon isn't a game where you really need save states because it is easy as hell, and can't you save anywhere anyway?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Soon my fantasies of bringing horribly broken gen 1 Pokemon stuffed full of tms that they shouldn't have learned to the new games via some weird poketransfer app will come to light! Level 100 bolt beam mewtwo with 252ev in every stat!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Fortunately Pokemon isn't a game where you really need save states because it is easy as hell, and can't you save anywhere anyway?

You're not being imaginative enough. With save states you could save mid-fight and reload as many times as it takes to capture a Legendary or whatever. It's not just "I want to get past this part," but "I want to do this very exacting process absolutely perfectly." Maybe that's what Gamefreaks wants to avoid happening, though I think removing the option from an emulator is a little silly.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think you're thinking with the magic of Red and Blue enough. The code is so garbled together with magic, pixie dust, and bandaids yet somehow somewhat works the way it was intended despite some game breaking bugs that it probably introduced some new strange amazing bug in the save system that was just too glorious for human consumption.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Presumably it's so you can't make a save state, trade a Pokemon to someone, then reload the save state to have a clone of that Pokemon.
Even though the games aren't online so who loving cares if you are cloning and cheating in these 18 year old roms.

lol who cares i'm still gonna catch a mew before fighting misty

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Houle posted:

I don't think you're thinking with the magic of Red and Blue enough. The code is so garbled together with magic, pixie dust, and bandaids yet somehow somewhat works the way it was intended despite some game breaking bugs that it probably introduced some new strange amazing bug in the save system that was just too glorious for human consumption.

I would not be at all surprised if it turned out that just loading a savestate caused Pokemon to poo poo the bed in some way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Unless they're really bad at implementing emulator save states, they should have exactly zero effect on the running game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's pretty clearly a stylistic choice.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Save states are for wimps, anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

greatn posted:

It's pretty clearly a stylistic choice.

Yeah. And since the games support local wireless trading I wonder if they had to actually go in and change some of the code and wanted to keep that process free of potentially weird emulation oddities.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Speaking of saves is there anyway to get all the smash bros char unlocks through a save online?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Speaking of saves is there anyway to get all the smash bros char unlocks through a save online?

Probably not, but it's easy enough to unlock everyone.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

They essentially hand you all the characters just for playing the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just start up a 1-stock 1v1 match and jump off the edge; character unlocks have a secondary condition of "every 10 vs matches" starting at like 20.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd be more interested in a save file that unlocks all the loving customizations

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

Just start up a 1-stock 1v1 match and jump off the edge; character unlocks have a secondary condition of "every 10 vs matches" starting at like 20.

You could also just play the game because probably takes like an hour or something. It's not like Melee where it took forever

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Help Im Alive posted:

You could also just play the game because probably takes like an hour or something. It's not like Melee where it took forever

The continual 1v1s are just for if all you care about is grinding them out as quickly as possible.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Didn't know that awesome
Thanks!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Presumably it's so you can't make a save state, trade a Pokemon to someone, then reload the save state to have a clone of that Pokemon.

You can still do this on the old games. The game saves before trading, and then after a trade is complete. So you trade between two games, turn off the game of the pokemon you want to clone before it saves but right before it starts and you'll have the other game save, including the fact it has a new pokemon that was traded. It's how I did it 18 years ago HACK THE PLANET.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What are good GBA games to get? I have FE and Minish Cap and Ive got both metroids and advance wars games on cartridge. I remember playig and enjoying... the third Battle Network game? Are the other ones any good?

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

minusX posted:

You can still do this on the old games. The game saves before trading, and then after a trade is complete. So you trade between two games, turn off the game of the pokemon you want to clone before it saves but right before it starts and you'll have the other game save, including the fact it has a new pokemon that was traded. It's how I did it 18 years ago HACK THE PLANET.

Ah, the good old Game Link Cable days... I remember always being a little nervous each time we did that, but it never failed to work.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Austrian mook posted:

What are good GBA games to get? I have FE and Minish Cap and Ive got both metroids and advance wars games on cartridge. I remember playig and enjoying... the third Battle Network game? Are the other ones any good?

Do you have both Fire Emblem games? There were two of them on GBA and they were both good. Also you should definitely get the GBA Castlevania games. There were three of those and at least two of them were good. Aria of Sorrow is one of the good ones and... I wanna say Circle of the Moon? Harmony of Dissonance is the third one and it's either the other good one or the somewhat mediocre one.

Also, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. That is A Good GBA Game. There's also GBA ports of a bunch of Final Fantasy games which were all pretty decent, if you haven't played those in awhile/want to play them again.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

I remember playig and enjoying... the third Battle Network game? Are the other ones any good?
1 - neat proof of concept but dated as poo poo. terrible internet design, super easy to get lost, no conveniences brought on by sequels. contains worst dungeon of the franchise (power plant).
2 - huge step in the right direction and first good battle network. easily broken with Gater PA.
3 - best, imo, but has some lovely turtley boss fights
4 - poo poo
5 - slightly less poo poo with boring tactics-like missions
6 - return to form. found a lot of it kind of forgettable but it was pretty fun regardless.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wario Land 4 + WarioWare are good GBA games

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wario Land 4
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Circle of the Moon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the GBA Castlevania games are A+.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the only good handheld castlevania is Aria of Sorrow

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

Are we considering all generations of handhelds? Because Portrait of Ruin is amazing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Drill Dozer!!!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I played a few of the DS castlevania games, Ill pick those up along with Wario Land and Battle Network 2 probably. Should have some nice in bed with flu gaming ahead of me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

Aria of Sorrow owns, shame about Dawn of Sorrow though

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

jivjov posted:

Are we considering all generations of handhelds? Because Portrait of Ruin is amazing.

yes

I didn't care for any DS castlevania

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kaubocks posted:

Circle of the Moon and Order of Ecclesia are both better, sorry.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I haven't played Circle or Harmony, but the other four are really good. Aria and Dawn are probably overall the best of them all, Portrait is good up until the final four areas and OoE is also really good but really hard.

As an aside, OoE feels like the game that Simon's Quest was trying to be, and I think that's pretty cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All the GBA and DS Castlevanias are good. People saying otherwise are usually whining about tiny differences that don't matter.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

order of ecclesia is the best game of all time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tomorrow's eShop release: Zack and Wiki, Wii Classic ($20)

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/zack-and-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-wii-u

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Phantasium posted:

All the GBA and DS Castlevanias are good. People saying otherwise are usually whining about tiny differences that don't matter.
Who would ever talk about little differences that don't matterhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxpPcK-f66I (I liked the video/series though) This is a fun game worth $20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

minusX posted:

Who would ever talk about little differences that don't matterhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxpPcK-f66I (I liked the video/series though)

There's a huge difference between Castlevania 1 and 2, though.