Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Idunno, there's Mike and Ike.

I mean, they're not shown to actually be incompetent, they just haven't really had a chance to be competent yet?

I'm sure they are quite competent given their backgrounds, but yeah, being on Brian duty isn't exactly on par with what Rebecca and Boyle are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Tortolia posted:

I think it is entirely within the realm of possibility that Morra and Sands are doing a long term good cop/bad cop act with Brian to see how he holds up to extended NZT use and if and when he starts to really change personality wise, or if he is able to resist the temptation after all.

I love how Rebecca and Ike became part of his internal conflict over who to trust, sweaters and all.

I thought it was interesting that in that scene they kept swapping who the camera was on and Morra looked like Mr. Burns on chemo and Brian looked like a regular dude. He's certainly different than Morra and I think it's fascinating to Morra that Brian isn't using NZT for personal gain, like, at all.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My friend and ex roommate pointed out that Limitless currently has a 57 on Metacritic, to which I replied: shut up, you and the critics are poo poo, this show is great, and I can't believe I lived with you you big dumb baby.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's the movie's metacritic score. No idea what the show's is, but I'd wager it's higher than an F+.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

VDay posted:

That's the movie's metacritic score.

No, it's not. The movie's actually at 59, which is the :psyduck:iest thing I've seen today

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haha I actually looked up the TV show and you're right. A 57 metacritic score, with such profound critical analysis as "It's relatively engaging and slickly produced, with effective visuals showcasing Brian's new talents, but the side effect of this show may be fatal blandness."

Because if there's one word I would use to describe this show it would definitely be bland.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

VDay posted:

Haha I actually looked up the TV show and you're right. A 57 metacritic score, with such profound critical analysis as "It's relatively engaging and slickly produced, with effective visuals showcasing Brian's new talents, but the side effect of this show may be fatal blandness."

Because if there's one word I would use to describe this show it would definitely be bland.

All of the critical reviews are so off from how I feel about the show that I feel like they are watching a different show. Did these critics see the whole season ahead of time or only the first few episodes? All of the reviews seem to be from last September.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VDay posted:

To be fair it's probably reviews of the pilot because let's be honest it's really in vogue and edgy to criticize what is essentially a cop show on a network for being a cop show. Especially when the pilot avoids being one but sets it up in the final moments, and does run with that mostly straight-faced for a while.

I had my reservations about the show until it started in earnest and even after the pilot, as I have had with other "basically a cop show" shows in the past few years. Although I don't really care if people got put off by it and have no interest in coming back, especially in this day and age. A bit of a shame though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stabitha posted:

All of the critical reviews are so off from how I feel about the show that I feel like they are watching a different show. Did these critics see the whole season ahead of time or only the first few episodes? All of the reviews seem to be from last September.

The critics watch whatever they are sent in advance. With Game of Thrones it's 4 episodes. Could be the same with Limitless.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The reviews only seemed to touch on the generic fugitive / origin story of the pilot. The AV club review also indicated that they only watched one episode for their show review, so I think it's safe to assume that all CBS sent was the pilot.

So yeah, network misfire on this one, especially given how the second episode heavily showed the actual humor of the show pretty well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The pilot definitely had an issue where the first big chunk was basically "hey, remember the movie? How about we do that again." Before branching off into it's own thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, if they're basing it off the pilot then a 57 rating is entirely accurate.
But on the other hand, pilots are almost always lovely.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

raditts posted:

Yeah, if they're basing it off the pilot then a 57 rating is entirely accurate.
But on the other hand, pilots are almost always lovely.

I'm not sure I can name any show that had a good pilot. Some of them got up to speed a lot faster than others, but the necessary worldbuilding and new characters just result in massive infodumps.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure I can name any show that had a good pilot. Some of them got up to speed a lot faster than others, but the necessary worldbuilding and new characters just result in massive infodumps.

The Shield
Breaking Bad
Arrested Development
Game of Thrones
The Americans
Walking Dead

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Shield
Breaking Bad
Arrested Development
Game of Thrones
The Americans
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones had a weird pilot where it was reshot and the original was never aired and the one that aired is a weird Franken-pilot consisting of footage they filmed previously and had to reshoot anyway for cast changes. I haven't watched The Shield myself but other than AD, the rest of them ran around 60 minutes or even a bit longer. And that's why they're of such better quality.

Here's the problem (for the lack of a better term) with network pilots:
  • you have 42 minutes
  • you have to introduce world and characters and basic premise try to give them depth
  • you have to establish the tone and style of the show
  • you have to tell a story that's open and shut but also open-ended (for the most part)
  • you usually have to tell a story that's similar to how the show will operate moving forward, if only to give both execs and prospective audience something to work off of (this is becoming less the case)
  • you have 42 minutes

This is usually why people write off network pilots, because you need to usually hit everything and you don't get an extra 6-7 minutes (usually basic cable) much less 12-15 or more. Cable shows don't even have to follow any of these rules, but they usually do. It's just that they don't have to jam in a bunch of stuff or cut out important character moments to cram more plot in (because this always happens), in which case that's what puts people off of the show, unless the pilot is written and shot and edited with precision laser focus. If you want to see an example of having to rush through plot and scenes, try the Gotham pilot, or hell, maybe even like 7 or so episodes in because that show does not let its scenes any time to breathe until much later.

It's why part of me wishes networks would allow even a few extra minutes in pilots since they can't afford to go the full hour. It's weird because sometimes networks like FOX will let episodes of some of their shows run long (maybe not anymore though), but almost never the pilot, short of a 2-hour premiere. I'm also dubious about most 2-hour premieres myself because now that you have 84-90 minutes you're probably gonna fill it with a lot of exposition instead of breathing room (Shannara is guilty of this so much).

It's also why network shows usually improve as they continue, because you don't have to follow all those rules or play so broadly or have to follow the rules as much (and in a few weeks you usually hit your groove anyway) which is why we get unique or more focused episodes instead of catch-all monstrosities that pilots are known for being.

That being said I can't think of a particularly good pilot on network this season. Limitless had a fairly decent one and hit most of their bases without really feeling too bloated. Okay, I lied, there was Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, arguably the only truly great pilot this season. Otherwise I would say the best pilots in the past year or so would've gone to Mr. Robot (64 or so minutes) and UnREAL (which actually only ran ~42 minutes).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Lost and BSG had amazing pilots (if you don't count the miniseries for the latter). Justified was good too. But yeah, many shows coast on the pilot and have a weak second episode then can pick up from there.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
We watch what we like. I despise police procedurals, and I would have abandoned this show if it were just a generic procedural. It's not. It's entertaining. At the end of the day, these critics are just voicing an opinion. It's not empirical fact. Even Roger Ebert wasn't right 100% of the time.

Critics posted:

Even with a likable hero, Limitless cannot overcome its credulity-straining premise and shaky, hole-riddled narrative.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 14, 2016

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Sober posted:

I haven't watched The Shield myself
[/list]

The Shield had one of the greatest pilots just because of its last 2 mins. I hooked 2 dozen people alone just by showing it to them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought the last 2 minutes were terrible but I also hate Kid Rock

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Pretty great episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cool dinosaur toys!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I'm like 3 minutes in and already sold on this episode.

You think "I've seen women tickled." You've seen them cuddled.

Not like this you haven't.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 20, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

I'm like 3 minutes in and already sold on this episode.

You think "I've seen women tickled." You've seen them cuddled.

Not like this you haven't.

I soooooo want to know how many takes that scene took. No way they didn't laugh on a bunch.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
This show is so great. I love the ridiculousness of Brian's imagination and how it becomes the reality. To think that guy hugged all those women and took their awesome dinosaur toys, what an rear end!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The 'Going to my happy place' gimmick when confronted with horrible serial murders was very Brian.

Also WOW Rebecca got on Morra's tail FAST.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Kind of a brilliant, subtle satire of Criminal Minds and its ilk. There's a good character-based reason for the word replacement, but it also underlines how absurd our fascination with serial murder is.

Also, LOVED hearing the "Ding!" once again when we saw Brian at his Headquarters!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

This show never disappoints. Some serious poo poo is about to go down with Rebecca and Morra.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahahah this is gold i just started it.

Best cold open all year.
I like the poster on his bedroom wall.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
"Nolan Bale" was a bit too much for me tbh especially with the inception references

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

"Nolan Bale" was a bit too much for me tbh especially with the inception references
Mike Ikerson was spot-on, though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Slamhound posted:

Mike Ikerson was spot-on, though.

He's used that one before too

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Wow, I can't believe what a good job the writers and actors did with that gimmick. It was so smoothly done that I didn't even really register that it was still happening all the way to the last act. My brain just sort of accepted it, and translated accordingly, because they didn't shine a spotlight on the joke.

I want to worry about how they plan to keep this fresh, but I think I'll just live in the now, because the now is incredible :allears:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The hugging part was lame.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Tenzarin posted:

The hugging part was lame.

Best watch what you say.

You might end up hugged.

And I'll have all your cool dinosaur toys.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just as a general "progressiveness of basic network morals" thing, I'm actually pretty impressed with not only repeatedly showing a bong this season, but having him treat it as more than a "this was my old life " background prop, and even them calling it a bong out loud.

[Edit] also I feel like last night's gimmick was interesting in that it actually allowed them to speak on some fairly gross subject matter. "Cuddle them with their own unicorn" is a ~haunting~ phrase.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 20, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She played air guitar before the hugging.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Feenix posted:

Just as a general "progressiveness of basic network morals" thing, I'm actually pretty impressed with not only repeatedly showing a bong this season, but having him treat it as more than a "this was my old life " background prop, and even them calling it a bong out loud.

[Edit] also I feel like last night's gimmick was interesting in that it actually allowed them to speak on some fairly gross subject matter. "Cuddle them with their own unicorn" is a ~haunting~ phrase.

actually used it too, it wasn't just set dressing to show how aloof he is

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DivisionPost posted:

Kind of a brilliant, subtle satire of Criminal Minds and its ilk. There's a good character-based reason for the word replacement, but it also underlines how absurd our fascination with serial murder is.

I don't even know if it was intentional, but I like the poke at general TV censorship in America with the idea that as long as no one says bad dirty words like gently caress, it's totally fine for children to watch TV shows about murder and rape.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VDay posted:

I don't even know if it was intentional, but I like the poke at general TV censorship in America with the idea that as long as no one says bad dirty words like gently caress, it's totally fine for children to watch TV shows about murder and rape.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it was intentional, but this was too smooth to feel like they were actively looking to make a statement. This seemed like a perfect storm of understanding the parameters of the show, understanding its main character, being forced into a tried-and-true procedural plot by the large episode order, and having a cool idea for how Brian would cope with the stress of this unusual (for him) case. Any social commentary is a byproduct, and that's usually when it works best.

KatWithHands posted:

I want to worry about how they plan to keep this fresh, but I think I'll just live in the now, because the now is incredible :allears:

I figure they either gotta dig deeper and go bugfuck crazy with the premise, or just keep screwing around like they're doing. And if they do the latter, they can easily milk this for five years with few complaints if they put enough care into the overarching plot. But if they start really hanging their nuts out there like Community did by the end of season one? This could be something epic.

It's (barely) worth noting that when it first aired, I actually compared "Headquarters!" favorably to Community on Twitter. Turns out Doug Aarinokowski (who directed that episode and is the producing director of the series) happened upon it and was kind enough to star it for me. So at the very least, he's flattered by the comparison; I can't help but wonder if he'll be inspired to push everyone further.

I mean, I know if a Twitter rando told me I looked hot, I'd be totally inspired to hit the gym so I could look even hotter. So yeah, I totally made this show better you guys. You're welcome. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DivisionPost posted:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it was intentional, but this was too smooth to feel like they were actively looking to make a statement. This seemed like a perfect storm of understanding the parameters of the show, understanding its main character, being forced into a tried-and-true procedural plot by the large episode order, and having a cool idea for how Brian would cope with the stress of this unusual (for him) case. Any social commentary is a byproduct, and that's usually when it works best.

I figure they either gotta dig deeper and go bugfuck crazy with the premise, or just keep screwing around like they're doing. And if they do the latter, they can easily milk this for five years with few complaints if they put enough care into the overarching plot. But if they start really hanging their nuts out there like Community did by the end of season one? This could be something epic.

Yeah, but look at how Community ended up. You shouldn't wish that on anybody.

• Locked thread