Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

HenryEx posted:

Aria of Sorrow owns, shame about Dawn of Sorrow though

Huh, never met someone that likes one and not the other. What didn't you like about Dawn of Sorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only thing I can think of is Soma's artwork in dialogue/cutscenes. Or maybe the artwork in general. It was kinda cartoony. Everything else adds up to one of the best Castlevanias games ever made.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

the only good handheld castlevania is Aria of Sorrow

Can you explain this to me? Like I don't see enough of a fundamental difference between any of the Metroidy Castlevanias that would make me like one and not the others. Liking one more than the others, sure, but outright disliking all except one I don't get.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It also seems weird that someone would like Aria of Sorrow but dislike Dawn of Sorrow

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm one of those people, but it's been so long since I've played either that I couldn't say exactly why. The art style change definitely put me off, but I also did't really like the game itself as much either. Maybe I was just getting tired of the formula since I 100%'ed Aria and immediately moved onto Dawn.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I'm one of those people, but it's been so long since I've played either that I couldn't say exactly why. The art style change definitely put me off, but I also did't really like the game itself as much either. Maybe I was just getting tired of the formula since I 100%'ed Aria and immediately moved onto Dawn.

I see people in this forum talk a lot about playing entire series from start to finish and it always seems like a godawful idea that will result in you hating great games due to sheer burnout. I get tired of the objectively good formula of some games before a single game is even over. It seems like you're just setting yourself up for disappointment playing an entire series or genre of games back to back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There hasn't been a bad Castlevania game on handhelds since before Circle of the Moon. There also hasn't been a good Castlevania game in about 8 years. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lords of Shadow 3DS is a bad handheld CV game.

Anyway, NA dudes, youre getting SMB3 GBA (with e-Reader levels!) and Zack & Wiki (Wii DL) tomorrow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

I see people in this forum talk a lot about playing entire series from start to finish and it always seems like a godawful idea that will result in you hating great games due to sheer burnout. I get tired of the objectively good formula of some games before a single game is even over. It seems like you're just setting yourself up for disappointment playing an entire series or genre of games back to back.

If a series is good I like playing them all

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Phantasium posted:

There's a huge difference between Castlevania 1 and 2, though.
I thought this was the one where he went into the GBA games sucking, but that might be the Castlevania 4 episode.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

If a series is good I like playing them all

I liked playing lots of a series as well, but picking up a sequel immediately after playing its predecessor to death seems like an easy way to burn out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

minusX posted:

I thought this was the one where he went into the GBA games sucking, but that might be the Castlevania 4 episode.

He does talk about the post SotN titles, but more as a side note about how Konami did figure out how to make Simon's Quest work and how when properly executed, Classicvania and Metroidvania scratch two completely different itches.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

It also seems weird that someone would like Aria of Sorrow but dislike Dawn of Sorrow

Aside from the art issues(which didn't really bother me), Dawn had some mechanical issues that dragged it down for me. The soul grind became way more annoying now that souls are needed for crafting, and the touch screen seals required to beat bosses was pretty frustrating, especially late in the game.

Julius mode kicks serious rear end though, and that alone bumps it back up to being a great game in my eyes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You never need to craft things in Dawn of Sorrow, that's just for OP weapons, you get enough naturally just by exploring and random drops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheBystander posted:

Aside from the art issues(which didn't really bother me), Dawn had some mechanical issues that dragged it down for me. The soul grind became way more annoying now that souls are needed for crafting, and the touch screen seals required to beat bosses was pretty frustrating, especially late in the game.

Julius mode kicks serious rear end though, and that alone bumps it back up to being a great game in my eyes.

You don't need souls to get good weapons and many of the good soul weapons come from boss drops which you can't miss as opposed to random grinds.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Phantasium posted:

You never need to craft things in Dawn of Sorrow, that's just for OP weapons, you get enough naturally just by exploring and random drops.

Sure, but that's all hindsight. As a new player, it felt like crafting was fairly important, especially since I didn't know where to find the worthwhile equipment. Honestly, I don't care for the fact that souls drop randomly at all, even in Aria. Those drop rates were way too low for my tastes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Why would you not think you'd come across better weapons exploring in a Metroidvania when the entire genre involves you getting more powerful through exploration?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Why would you not think you'd come across better weapons exploring in a Metroidvania when the entire genre involves you getting more powerful through exploration?

Because of the increased focus on RPG elements, which is why I prefer Aria.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Tell me about Zack and Wiki. I know nothing about it other than that it is allegedly a good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Tell me about Zack and Wiki. I know nothing about it other than that it is allegedly a good game.

It's basically an adventure game with some light Wiimote gimmicks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheBystander posted:

Because of the increased focus on RPG elements, which is why I prefer Aria.

Aria has RPG elements too?! Like I can maybe get it if you played Aria second and Dawn was the first game like this you played.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Patter Song posted:

It's a point-and-click style adventure/puzzle game with lots of Wiimote gimmicks, and while it looks like a casual game it's pretty tough.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Lords of Shadow 3DS is a bad handheld CV game.

Anyway, NA dudes, youre getting SMB3 GBA (with e-Reader levels!) and Zack & Wiki (Wii DL) tomorrow.

I do the Dance of Joy!

Probably only on the Wii U, like in Japan, but still great news!

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Aria has RPG elements too?! Like I can maybe get it if you played Aria second and Dawn was the first game like this you played.

Calm down, I'm not saying I dislike Dawn, just that I prefer Aria. Dawn's a fine game (especially Julius mode), I was just responding to how someone could like one over the other.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Zack and Wiki is cool and fun, but it's pretty annoying that you can die in the game.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Zack and Wiki is 3 bucks at Gamestop. Owning it digitally isn't really worth an extra 17, imho.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloks posted:

Zack and Wiki is 3 bucks at Gamestop. Owning it digitally isn't really worth an extra 17, imho.

There are some gooblords who love to shout about how they are all digital. It's worth $17 to them to appear foolish to everyone else.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You can pirate every Wii game so why would you waste $3?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Waltzing Along posted:

There are some gooblords who love to shout about how they are all digital. It's worth $17 to them to appear foolish to everyone else.

You're painting with a real wide brush there, champ. Not everyone in America lives in a dense metropolitan area with public transit and a Gamestop on every corner. And even if that was the case, I'd bet good money that not everyone with an American Wii U is actually an American resident. When I lived in Japan I bought all my 3DS games digitally because that was the cheapest option by far, with the second-cheapest option involving a two-hour train ride to Akihabara and then buying the game with a 50% markup from an import shop.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's also the convenience factor of being able to swap from game to game without dealing with discs.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Nobody brought up the basic issue that not every Gamestop will even have Zack and Wiki still in stock? They've been discounting Wii and DS pretty hard.

So, whats the goon opinion on Weapon Shop de Omasse? It's been out forever, yes, but I've never been sure if its worth bothering with.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Turbinosamente posted:

They've been discounting Wii and DS pretty hard.

I've picked up so much good stuff.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Waltzing Along posted:

I've picked up so much good stuff.

Me too, I just wished I got in on it sooner than I did. There was a nice uptick in good stuff a couple weeks after Black Friday when the trade holds expired but now there's nothing much left, at least in my area. Still filled an 18 count DS case and doubled the Wii collection so I'm pretty well set for a loooong time.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Turbinosamente posted:

So, whats the goon opinion on Weapon Shop de Omasse? It's been out forever, yes, but I've never been sure if its worth bothering with.

Like most Level 5 games it can be a little tedious in the gameplay department but it's absolutely oozing with charm & I don't think you can go wrong if you like charming kitschy shop games. It is also, for example, a much more fun experience than full-priced Hometown Story.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

irlZaphod posted:

The simple answer is that requires more effort than Nintendo want to, or are able to, put in.

I mean, Sega/M2 did something similar on their 3D Classics games on the 3DS but those games had obviously had a fair bit of work put into them.

People keep screaming at Nintendo to do stuff they don't think they can justify - this, localize Mother 3 (they're begging to Nintendo one last time for that right now, actually), sort out the rights issues needed to release Starfox 2, etc. What if Nintendo started doing crowdfunding? Maybe even their own one-campaign-at-a-time site, let's call it Nintendo Startbutton (although you know they'd take ages between campaigns, resulting in rumors of discontinuation). Of course, the number one question in every FAQ would have to be, "Don't you people basically have infinite money?"

Turbinosamente posted:

I vaguely remember a lousy review but they took ages to localize it (because of all the text) so it might have fallen victim to the Duke Nukem Forever effect a little (the DNF effect: a product is heavily delayed, resulting in hype it fails to live up to).

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 21, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DNF effect was mostly to do with it being an awful, awful game.

Weapons Shop is fun enough but it plays more like a rhythm game than something like Recettear.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Sakurazuka posted:

The DNF effect was mostly to do with it being an awful, awful game.
The problem with DNF is that we may never know exactly how bad it was because it'll always be compared to the ridiculous hype that built up over about one and a half decades.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Help Im Alive posted:

It's Kaubocks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

dawn has worse almost everything but it's still a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When does the Nintendo eShop usually update, i.e., how early can I download Paper Jam tomorrow?