Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Easy. My Tekton impact sockets. They have gotten me out of so many jams that if they were to break tomorrow they wouldn't owe me a dime. I used to strip so much rusted garbage with my cheapo True Value house brand sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
For me it's the plain old F80 ratchet. Not too short, not too long, nice and tight 80 tooth mechanism; I use it for everything.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

kastein posted:

I don't have just one, but if I had to choose, it'd be my snapon 312cp long reach/high leverage diagonal cutters.

I found them in a junkyard car while helping Fart Pipe pull the new engine for his Forester, already beaten, and took them 'cause tools are free at the JY. I've since heaped far more abuse on them and they still sorta work.

Need to get them warrantied though because the pin is stretched so the jaws flop back and forth and don't cut nicely anymore.

My favorite is actually the same tool, except not SnapOn branded.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B21CGN0
Picked it up a couple weeks ago and it became an instant favorite. I never knew how often I needed something like that.

Beyond that, its the Milwaukee M12 3/8 ratchet. My wrists are really messed up and it saves so much repetitive movement. I really can't survive without the M18 fuel 3/8 impact and the big fuel 1/2 either, though.
e: Knipex Orbis pliers are also the poo poo. You can never have too many weird-shaped pliers.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 21, 2016

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
These are probably my favorite. I love being able to have two wrenchs on me and do 99% of jobs. Sure its not as good as one normal wrench thats the right size, but when you're under the car its a lot better than going to the tool box.
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85...rwrench+quadbox
These would be my second favorite. They make working on hoses deep in the engine bay a dream.
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-82...+2x+needle+nose

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A buddy of mine is an electrician. He spilled something on a multimeter, and rather than gently caress with it, he bought a new one. I threw out the "New Leader" batteries and popped in three new AAAs and bam, brand new Klein CL200. Nicest meter I've ever owned.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Knipex pliers wrench.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My favorite tool is my Knipex large-diameter insulation removal tool. I bought it after once too many times having stabbed my left hand with my sidecutters. My uncle, an electrician for four decades, is a loving artist with just sidecutters, but I'm not.

Enter the Knipex KPX1630135.

It's not cheap, but by Senna it's awesome!

Here's a video showing how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCb8mBVfsQ

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hypnolobster posted:

My favorite is actually the same tool, except not SnapOn branded.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B21CGN0
Picked it up a couple weeks ago and it became an instant favorite. I never knew how often I needed something like that.

That looks like it's probably the same factory producing them as the ones HF sells. They're... alright, I guess. Not hardened as well as the Snapon ones, and the cutting edges are a lot more "rustic" (for lack of a better term), along with most of the rest of the design. They'll do 80% as well 95% of the time, I've used both. Having owned the snapon ones for free for 3.5 years now, though, I'll probably buy another set if I can't get these ones warrantied.

That knipex cable stripping tool is nifty, but I'm not sure I'd use one much, requires lots of working space. It appears that Greenlee has an equivalent, also.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Since I'm going to have a garage again soon I've been thinking about going mostly airless and getting Milwaukee/other vendor's battery based tools.

Pros/Cons?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wrar posted:

Since I'm going to have a garage again soon I've been thinking about going mostly airless and getting Milwaukee/other vendor's battery based tools.

Pros/Cons?
Milwaukee is fantastic. I've had good luck with Bosch as well, but I've got more Milwaukee and feel more strongly that it's a really great system.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I went with Bosch's 12V drill and impact system and it's great for its tiny size, but I do feel a bit limited in that they don't have anything else beyond drivers. I would definitely check out some of the nicer 18v+ systems like from Milwaukee.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I went with Bosch's 12V drill and impact system and it's great for its tiny size, but I do feel a bit limited in that they don't have anything else beyond drivers. I would definitely check out some of the nicer 18v+ systems like from Milwaukee.
Yeah, basically same for me. I have the 12V driver from Bosch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

Milwaukee is fantastic. I've had good luck with Bosch as well, but I've got more Milwaukee and feel more strongly that it's a really great system.

Makita or Milwaukee in my opinion. I'm a Makita guy, but the Milwaukee tools are pretty drat good, and more of them are available in brushless. Makita has a better selection, however.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have both Bosch and Milwaukee stuff and I'd definitely go Milwaukee. The 18v Bosch stuff has OK selection, but Milwaukee at both voltages seems to have way more. The quality for either seems pretty equivalent.

Edit: one nice thing about Milwaukee is that the chargers do 12v and 18v at the same time. Great for me since I have 12v drills and ratchet and then 18v impact wrench.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I will say that now that I have a mix of Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools - I actually wish I had started off with just M12. It's nearly as powerful for what I do, and so much lighter / easier in the hands than the M18. I jumped to the M18 stuff because I was used to old cheap NiCad ~14-18V tools being still kinda poo poo.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Milwaukee has better selection, they are absolutely flooding the market with a ton of tools like Dewalt did in the early '00's.

Makita makes the better tool, just not as many of them. I got to try all of their 36 volt 2 pack stuff out last week, holy poo poo is it ever awesome, the demo hammer and blower are crazy powerful. They are planning some nice cordless finish nailers as well. Picked up a couple of their 4 stroke hot saws today, will give a run down when I see them...

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
My favourite tool has to be my Koken 1/4" ratchet. Bought 8 years ago when I started a trade. I've put ridiculous amounts of torque through the little bastard and still going strong. Then there's the time I lost it, quoted $70 to replace it so I bought a cheap replacement composite and broke that. The Koken then turns up after someone emptied to drain pan from the wheel loader I was working on. After two weeks in oil I may never have to lube it up again.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think Makita has more variety in their 18v line than Techtronic(Milwaukee), though you don't see most of it in physical stores. Over the holidays I picked up a Makita 18v shop light (freaking fantastic) and brushless weed trimmer I'm pretty excited about, and there are literally hundreds of other tools on their LXT line. If you can think of it, they've probably got a cordless version. Plus they've stuck with their battery form factor for years and years, which is great for longevity.

Honestly, whoever you go with, I doubt you'd see a difference around the house. You might check out Hitachi stuff too, if you're looking for a budget alternative. Not as great overall selection, but you're probably not looking for a battery powered drywall screw gun, trim nailer, or battery powered chainsaw anyways.

Also, battery powered impact wrench is the best thing ever.... Never quite realized how much I hated dicking with air hose and charging the compressor till I didn't have to do it anymore

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think Makita has more variety in their 18v line than Techtronic(Milwaukee), though you don't see most of it in physical stores. Over the holidays I picked up a Makita 18v shop light (freaking fantastic) and brushless weed trimmer I'm pretty excited about, and there are literally hundreds of other tools on their LXT line. If you can think of it, they've probably got a cordless version. Plus they've stuck with their battery form factor for years and years, which is great for longevity.

Honestly, whoever you go with, I doubt you'd see a difference around the house. You might check out Hitachi stuff too, if you're looking for a budget alternative. Not as great overall selection, but you're probably not looking for a battery powered drywall screw gun, trim nailer, or battery powered chainsaw anyways.

Also, battery powered impact wrench is the best thing ever.... Never quite realized how much I hated dicking with air hose and charging the compressor till I didn't have to do it anymore

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/LXTAdvantage/FullLineUp.aspx

I disagree about the difference "around the house". Craftsman batteries don't last more than 2-3 years in my experience, ditto with B&D, Ryobi, PorterCable, or any bottom-tier brand. I'd rank DeWalt, Rigid, and Hitachi as middle-of-the-road for various reasons. Bosch is slightly higher, but limited selection and high prices aren't winning them any favor. Makita, Milwaukee, or Metabo if you're international...

I know Ryobi gets a lot of hate, but the 1+ system has been around for a decade or more, and they're cheap as gently caress. We used them during boatbuilding because the fiberglass dust got into everything and ruined it. Ryobi's lasted as long as anyone else's tools, and were 1/2 the price. Batteries interchange with old stuff, the new chargers will charge the old stuff. It's a solid choice for a weekend warrior on a budget.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm still happy with my ryobi stuff, I just wish the 1+ mower was a reasonably price, it's nearly 400 quid. I'll live with petrol thanks. I've started to see a lot more Milwaukee kit appear in the shops here but it's so expensive, like twice the price of dewalt etc.

Literally £420 for the 18v impact. Without battery and charger.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

The one+ whipper-snipper is pretty great, it's really not designed for tall people though. I recently bought the circular saw as well and that thing is so much nicer to use than the corded ozito we've got as well. So nice to be able to grab it and cut something out in the shed instead of having to run an extension cord.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/LXTAdvantage/FullLineUp.aspx

I disagree about the difference "around the house". Craftsman batteries don't last more than 2-3 years in my experience, ditto with B&D, Ryobi, PorterCable, or any bottom-tier brand. I'd rank DeWalt, Rigid, and Hitachi as middle-of-the-road for various reasons. Bosch is slightly higher, but limited selection and high prices aren't winning them any favor. Makita, Milwaukee, or Metabo if you're international...

I know Ryobi gets a lot of hate, but the 1+ system has been around for a decade or more, and they're cheap as gently caress. We used them during boatbuilding because the fiberglass dust got into everything and ruined it. Ryobi's lasted as long as anyone else's tools, and were 1/2 the price. Batteries interchange with old stuff, the new chargers will charge the old stuff. It's a solid choice for a weekend warrior on a budget.

Love the tools, hate the shortsighted warranty weaseling they pulled on me.

I think I have cost them enough in negative referrals and lost referrals now though. Hope they enjoyed that 10 to 15k in lost business because they decided to gently caress me out of my warranty on a 60 dollar pair of batteries.

I don't think I'll ever buy one of their batteries again (mostly since I gutted one of my non warrantied batteries and hooked it to a 7Ah belt-mounted lead acid pack that runs forever and a day for less than a new nicad pack would have cost) but their tool line is great, I gotta admit.

REGISTER YOUR poo poo ON THEIR STUPID SITE AND JUMP THROUGH THEIR STUPID HOOPS.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Rigid is worse. Register immediately, hope they don't gently caress up the registration, wait 3-5 weeks for confirmation, and then be prepared to send back everything that uses the batteries (charger, tools, etc) if a battery dies. Apparently, they've loosened up a bit, but they asked me to send in the entire kit we had at my old job. gently caress them.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that skipping the air compressor and going for a solid lithium setup is fine then?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

For most things, sure. Nothing beats air for truly stuck things or versatility, but I've had fantastic luck with Hitachi battery impact tools.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Speaking of dumping air, are there any decent finish nailers that run off batteries? I'm looking for something to do simple box/cabinet assembly so it just needs to drive small brads or nails. Hoping for something that leaves a nice clean hole with minimum of marring.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

mod sassinator posted:

Speaking of dumping air, are there any decent finish nailers that run off batteries? I'm looking for something to do simple box/cabinet assembly so it just needs to drive small brads or nails. Hoping for something that leaves a nice clean hole with minimum of marring.

Paslode Impulse guns. Combination of propane and electricity, they work drat well.

coathat
May 21, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Most brands have have nailers or are about too so you can pretty much just choose which system you like the best. I haven't heard anything really negative about the ones on the market. Personally I've got the ryobi 18 gauge brad nailer and love it to death.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

One thing i like bout milwaukee is the batteries have the capacity gauge on them, not the tool. Means you dont wind up battling your way to a far corner of your ceiling, drilling one hole and your "Full" battery dies. Saves you un needed wear on your tools throwing them in frustration :P

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

One thing i like bout milwaukee is the batteries have the capacity gauge on them, not the tool. Means you dont wind up battling your way to a far corner of your ceiling, drilling one hole and your "Full" battery dies. Saves you un needed wear on your tools throwing them in frustration :P

The battery indictor is the one thing I really wish Makita would have. They're starting to implement it now, but it's on the tool, not the battery. Rigid had it on the battery, and that was mighty convenient.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Robin has a few that are 18v cordless. Probably worth a look on Craigslist instead of buying new.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Ryobi has a series called the Airstrike. They work pretty well, and don't break the bank. The Paslode propane nailers used to be the best, but I'd do battery over propane nowadays.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Senco makes cordless finish guns. I have their 15 and 18ga, they work fine. They aren't as beefy as a Hitachi gun but it's not bad. Dewalt also makes (made?) a 16 GA cordless gun on their old 18 volt platform.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finally picked up a pair of Astro Pneumatic Hose Clamp Pliers, and I really have no idea how I got by before these things--definitely my new favorite specialty tool! Such an ingenious design, I've always hated futzing with hose clamps, trying to squeeze them while moving hoses on and off, but this really simplifies everything by several orders of magnitude, especially hard to reach clamps.

Anyone here change their own tires? Is it worthwhile to pick up the equipment to DIY that, or is it such a pain and hassle that I'm better off sticking with shops? I just got new tires, but I saved the best one to buy a junkyard wheel so I can have a full size spare. I've manually changed out my motorcycle tires before, but I'm not sure just how involved car tires are. Is something like the 50$ tire changer at harbor freight a good buy, or would I need multi thousand dollar shop equipment to do a good job?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You can do it by hand, and I've done so 6 or 7 times, but leave it to a shop unless you are dead broke or stuck in the woods with a blown tire and a spare that isn't on a wheel... because you can't balance them afterwards anyways, so you're going to either be using balancing beads or bringing them into the same shop for balancing.

Breaking the beads sucks, seating the beads sucks, and wrestling the tire on/off the wheel with tire spoons sucks too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got that exact same set of pliers, and yeah it's loving awesome.

Kastein hit it on the head, that is one job that is almost universally better off left to the people who do it all day every day.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone still have that link for cheap RX safety glasses? I remember them being around 40 bucks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Anyone still have that link for cheap RX safety glasses? I remember them being around 40 bucks.

These are the glasses I use. I wound up paying $60. http://www.rx-safety.com/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
EDIT: ^^^ Those look so much nicer, which makes sense for the more money you pay. Also, whoa! http://www.rx-safety.com/prescription-safety-glasses/bluetooth-safety-glasses/bonsayon-prescription-bluetooth-safety-glasses-s302-rx.html ^^^

Mcqueen posted:

$40? Look at Mr. Big Spender!

Zenni Optical has two pairs for $20-$25:
http://www.zennioptical.com/glasses...ble%20Rx%20Lens|6

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Those look so much nicer, which makes sense for the more money you pay.

They ain't exactly pretty, no matter how you slice it.