Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Really hoping that next World War Wednesday sees COMINTERM and the Axis team up to rid the world of capitalist excess. Franco-British Union was also hilarious. Japan's impotence and naval passivity is a bit troubling, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The COMINTERM, the much feared left-wing association of school timetable planners.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Enjoy posted:

The COMINTERM, the much feared left-wing association of school timetable planners.

:v:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Gort posted:

Someone should tell hoi4wiki.com then, they think it ends in 1948.

That is the official end date, but imagine Germany developing nukes and putting them on a V2.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

dylguy90 posted:

I really liked this post. My biggest problem with paradox games is when they release a system that is theoretically very diverse, like hoi iii's division designer, but there are actually only a few "right" ways to use it. I think limiting the number of divisions you can make will lead to a lot more thinking along the lines of "my light armor division is really getting creamed by their regular armor, let me redesign it to include more heavy weaponry...", and then, if you were playing against another person, six months later they'd redesign their divisions to counter yours.

I think the main thing that would make a system like this satisfying would be to have VERY good metrics for how your units and divisions compare to your opponent's after some combat. There's very little satisfaction in ordering 37 divisions to attack Stalingrad and having the only data point be "is the battle going in my favor or not?" Ideally, you'd be able to see the kinds of casualties each division took and inflicted, and what circumstances they faced (attacking a mountain vs defending). This is the kind of feedback that lets players make meaningful choices about what equipment to use, and is historical to boot. I remember Darkest Hour's system of reporting individual casualties for each combat, seemingly trivial at first, by the end of the game had turned into a really useful tool for understand what was actually happening "on the ground" (say for instance, winning a battle but taking 2x the casualties).

This would be a killer feature for HoI IV. I don't know how it would be designed, but it would be amazing. Maybe if there were a way to summarize unit composition / performance after each battle, e.g.

code:
YOU                                                                                           THEM
Unit type|Comp %    |Kills %   |Losses %  |                                                   Unit type|Comp %    |Kills %   |Losses %  |
Infantry |XXX-------|>---------|00000-----|     ||         |||||||    |||||||   |||||||||     Infantry |XXX-------|>>--------|000-------|
Light tnk|X---------|>>--------|0---------|     ||        ||     ||  ||     ||  ||            Light tnk|XXX-------|>>>>------|0000------|
Med tnk  |X---------|----------|00--------|     ||        ||     ||  ||         ||            Med tnk  |XX--------|>>--------|000-------|
Hvy tnk  |X---------|----------|0---------|     ||        ||     ||   |||||||   |||||||       Hvy tnk  |X---------|>---------|----------|
Mot inf  |----------|----------|----------|     ||        ||     ||         ||  ||            Mot inf  |----------|----------|----------|
Mec inf  |X---------|----------|0---------|     ||        ||     ||  ||     ||  ||            Mec inf  |----------|----------|----------|
Artillery|XXX-------|>>>>>>>---|----------|     |||||||||  |||||||    |||||||   |||||||||     Artillery|X---------|>---------|----------|
for large battles? It wouldn't tell the full story but might give you ideas, like "I lose a lot more infantry than anything else; am I manpower-rich enough to sustain that or should I get better infantry / reduce the number of infantry I use / go maximum hitler and invade everyone anyways?"

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

GaussianCopula posted:

That is the official end date, but imagine Germany developing nukes and putting them on a V2.

Early nuclear weapons weighed far more than a V2s max payload.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
You could put nukes on rockets in HoI2. I don't remember if you could in the first game.

I like it just to get some variety in delivery methods even if it is not strictly historical.
Freebie for hoi4 devs: suicide sub nuke delivery.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dibujante posted:

This would be a killer feature for HoI IV. I don't know how it would be designed, but it would be amazing. Maybe if there were a way to summarize unit composition / performance after each battle, e.g.

for large battles? It wouldn't tell the full story but might give you ideas, like "I lose a lot more infantry than anything else; am I manpower-rich enough to sustain that or should I get better infantry / reduce the number of infantry I use / go maximum hitler and invade everyone anyways?"

Yeah I'd say there's two things that are lacking from say EU4's combat summaries:

-Some kind of descriptive breakdown of what's happening as it happens
-A summary of combat performance (damage inflicted) vs combat losses (damage taken). I'm not talking about men lost, I'm talking like: The infantry killed 5000 people and took 10,000 casualties, the cav did 10,000 kills but took 5,000 casualties.

Here's a screenshot from SOTS 1 with some useful info.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yall are going to have to tell me who those kicking rad warpainted bird / pterodactyl dudes are because they look like they know how to gently caress

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
is the world war wednesday twitch archive broken for anyone else? I was really looking forward to watching that

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Another Person posted:

is the world war wednesday twitch archive broken for anyone else? I was really looking forward to watching that

Yeah, it's hosed. You can get about two thirds of it if you switch quality to low, but then you can't see what's going on.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, it's hosed. You can get about two thirds of it if you switch quality to low, but then you can't see what's going on.

i am going to watch this world war wednesday even if it is a mosaic painting. i need to see the thrilling conculsion to poland.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love it if stellaris worked more or less like the new Hoi4 army maker thing, just on a slightly different scale, but the same general design. So you'd sperg out designing a few ships or "task force" templates then you'd build fleets out of those parts which are produced at your industry in a big ol' pool.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
johan always has the sniffles

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Another Person posted:

johan always has the sniffles

I want to see a Johan/Zizek adorable accent sniffle-off lets play.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Yall are going to have to tell me who those kicking rad warpainted bird / pterodactyl dudes are because they look like they know how to gently caress

They're Morrigi from Sword of the Stars.

It's a shame about sots2. SotS did a lot of neat things. And the setting was pretty cool as well. All of the different species had really different playstyles and flavour.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

I want to see a Johan/Zizek adorable accent sniffle-off lets play.

Victoria III election -- choose which portly European fellow will be your country's next prime minister.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
the WWW German player seems to enjoy throwing soldiers into the Maginot Line for inexplicable reasons.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Forget that starship building malarkey, here is the real Stellaris question: is there enough time in the dev cycle to include the new planet in our solar system that was just discovered?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Planet X has been "discovered" several dozen times already, I'll believe it once someone actually sees it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

The Morrigi are a race of space crows\dragon hybrids. When you play as them you get accustomed to being being yelled at 24\7 because all voice files of the Morrigi race is of someone yelling with a smoking-lady harpy voice. Their ship designs are all about style, so stylish indeed that some weapons don't function unless they're lucky to find an enemy in their very weird POV. They're also expensive as hell but that's okay because the Morrigi are all about trade.

They're space persians if the Persians found a way into space and turned into crows.

They're probably the funnest faction to play with, alongside the Zuul (space cannibal baboons) and Humans (Humies).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn will you please release Stellaris so i can pretend SOTS got a third game?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Goddamn will you please release Stellaris so i can pretend SOTS got a second game?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Goddamn will you please release Stellaris so we can make a Stellaris thread?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Paradox Grand Strategy: Still Waiting on Stellaris

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Stellaris has a lot of similarities with SotS. The different FTL drives, with a straight up copy of the Zuul drive. The randomized research. The ship designer especially, where you chose between sections with more or less small, medium and heavy weapon mounts.

SotS 1 was a great game, so that's okay.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Stellaris Thread: In Space No One Can Hear You Sperg

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DrSunshine posted:

I will find a way

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Torrannor posted:

Stellaris has a lot of similarities with SotS. The different FTL drives, with a straight up copy of the Zuul drive. The randomized research. The ship designer especially, where you chose between sections with more or less small, medium and heavy weapon mounts.

SotS 1 was a great game, so that's okay.

Which do you mean? I don't think any of the Stellaris FTLs copy the Zuul, whose FTL in Stellaris terms I would describe as a mix of Hyperdrive and Wormholes. Also our FTLs don't tear screaming holes in the fabric of space itself. I think our closest matches with SotS drives are Warp == Tarkas, Hyperlanes == Humans, and Wormhole == Hivers. Zuul open their own nodelanes, sorta like Wormholes, but that still had travel time within them, like hyperlanes.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Space spergs are way ahead of you

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

one of the best parts of SOTS was the fact that if you zoomed in on a Liir ship during battle you could hear dolphins crying when the ships exploded.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Planet X has been "discovered" several dozen times already, I'll believe it once someone actually sees it.

Well Neptune was discovered because it was needed to explain the orbits of the other planets. They went "mathematically there needs to be a large planet right in this area for everything else to make sense" and started looking, and behold, they found Neptune. Planet X has a really weird theoretical orbit (20k years, very far out) so it's possible we might not even find it even if we could prove mathematically that it's there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's really impressive how people mathematically predicted the existance of a planet in the middle of our solar system in 1846

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

From the World War Wednesday stream did it look like, when Johan opened the diplomatic options window for the US, that there were two shades of blue in the ideology pie chart?

Multiple parties per ideology? Or atleast for the US or Democratic nations?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Randarkman posted:

From the World War Wednesday stream did it look like, when Johan opened the diplomatic options window for the US, that there were two shades of blue in the ideology pie chart?

Multiple parties per ideology? Or atleast for the US or Democratic nations?

Isn't that how it worked in HoI3? You had broad ally/axis/comintern-aligned parties that represented the political spectrum.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think that's the "Neutral" ideology, but I really hope it's what you said it is.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Isn't that how it worked in HoI3? You had broad ally/axis/comintern-aligned parties that represented the political spectrum.

Haven't played much HoI3. but I was of the impression that HoI4 was 1 party/ideology (and that democrats just turned into republicans if the US chose Alf Landon). Those really look like two shades of blue in that pie chart though, so it looks like my impression was wrong.

Kavak posted:

I think that's the "Neutral" ideology, but I really hope it's what you said it is.

You see the neutral ideology earlier in the stream it is very cleary grey, nothing like that color.

e: The US pie chart might just be some shading to make it look nicer though.

e2: Had another look, it seems to be just shading, because the tiny sliver of communist popularity overlaps the one that would be "other democratic party"

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 21, 2016

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I gotta confess something that's been on my mind for awhile... not to be a typical paradoxian moaner but I honestly hate the font and well, entire visual style of HoI 4 whether it be the colors, icons, or anything else I've seen. I'm not even trying to be that guy but it has to be said; I realize that this might be the correct aesthetic for the period but "my immersion" wouldn't be any more ruined if it looked somewhat better then it is when I conquer the world as Romania.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

8bitlawd posted:

I gotta confess something that's been on my mind for awhile... not to be a typical paradoxian moaner but I honestly hate the font and well, entire visual style of HoI 4 whether it be the colors, icons, or anything else I've seen. I'm not even trying to be that guy but it has to be said; I realize that this might be the correct aesthetic for the period but "my immersion" wouldn't be any more ruined if it looked somewhat better then it is when I conquer the world as Romania.
The interface should be made of the highest quality oak panels, the finest red cloth, and luxurious gold trim. Really though, I'm not sure I'm feeling it either. I think it kinda depends on what I'm looking at. Anyway, the solution is to mod the entire interface so it matches the look of Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Hmm, it's just one interface aesthetic, not one per ideology, right? Would be kind of cool with different skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hmm, it's just one interface aesthetic, not one per ideology, right? Would be kind of cool with different skins.

CK2's different interface skins for different cultures/religions is really cool, yeah. All Paradox games should steal that one.