Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought everyone said XIII-2 improved XIII's battle system. That was its biggest praise back when it first came out. Everyone said "you didn't like XIII? Play XIII-2, it fixed most of XIII's problems."

That all being said, I have only two complaints about XIII's battle system so far.

1. I cannot rely on the AI healer in a pinch. At least one AI healer. Maybe AI Medic works better if you have two of them. That's how I did things in my first run, anyway. But with only Vanille or Hope, better to just not get anywhere near dead at all costs.

2. The ranking system makes me frantic. I want dem five stars so I desperately attack attack ATTACK when the enemy is staggered, thinking "I ain't got time to heal!!!!" Then I die. I'd be more prudent if I wasn't being timed. But I am so gently caress, I actually lost to this easy boss at the theme park. I guess I was overthinking the boss since I only got 2 stars. I didn't need to buff myself or debuff it, apparently. Again, ranking system fucks me over for being prudent.

XIII-2 is a tremendously simpler game and the people who claimed it was an improvement probably just didn't like XIII. It's still fun but it's a different focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

zedprime posted:

They made some probably good changes to the active combat, its just they also decided to make a whole differently controlling alternate mode. And well Square has problems with over ambition, like adding entirely different alternate modes to combat a year out from release.

When they did their surveys about the demo they found that Western players thought the combat was too easy and Japanese players thought it was too hard so that's why they're having different difficulties handle differently.

I liked the combat from what little I tried it, I mostly watched my girlfriend play the demo. It's hard to say how the final product would be even before they announced they were changing things as they didn't have magic integrated yet.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

When they did their surveys about the demo they found that Western players thought the combat was too easy and Japanese players thought it was too hard so that's why they're having different difficulties handle differently.

I liked the combat from what little I tried it, I mostly watched my girlfriend play the demo. It's hard to say how the final product would be even before they announced they were changing things as they didn't have magic integrated yet.

Dragon Quest Heroes has something vaguely similar. There is a combat mode which is much simpler to handle while another allows the player to have more granular control over your actions. Western players do tend to enjoy more granular control or at the very least they are more used to it during this era of gaming. In general I like what they did with Dragon Quest Heroes. It was really nice being able to choose a combat system that was more to my liking rather than being stuck with only a single choice.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In Training posted:

XIII-2 is a tremendously simpler game and the people who claimed it was an improvement probably just didn't like XIII. It's still fun but it's a different focus.

This is true. I honestly never considered XIII "fun" in the traditional sense. I'm enjoying it more this time around but it's still a whole different kettle of fish compared to its sequel. I don't know why Square's sequel game making philosophy is "how can we make this game totally unlike its predecessor?" but that's what they did for X-2 and XIII-2 and it seems to have worked.

I'd sooner replay XIII-2 though, lovely puzzles and bullshit included. It might be incredibly easier and simplified but there's just so much more to do.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

This is true. I honestly never considered XIII "fun" in the traditional sense. I'm enjoying it more this time around but it's still a whole different kettle of fish compared to its sequel. I don't know why Square's sequel game making philosophy is "how can we make thisgame totally unlike its predecessor?" but that's what they did for X-2 and XIII-2 and it seems to have worked.

I'd sooner replay XIII-2 though, lovely puzzles and bullshit included. It might be incredibly easier and simplified but there's just so much more to do.

X and X-2 were a very different situation though. X's story had a true ending or at least it was intended to be that way. X-2 was an after thought. That was not the case for the XIII series as far as I am aware. I only mention this because I consider XIII to be the first in the FF series where sequels were planned by Square. One case doesn't really count as a philosophy or act as a good predictor for the future imo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

X and X-2 were a very different situation though. X's story had a true ending or at least it was intended to be that way. X-2 was an after thought. That was not the case for the XIII series as far as I am aware. I only mention this because I consider XIII to be the first in the FF series where sequels were planned by Square. One case doesn't really count as a philosophy or act as a good predictor for the future imo.

Well I just meant how non-linear and non-serious the sequels were. If there are two areas in which X and XIII are very alike, and often compared, it's in their linear design and rather bleak settings. There is a noticeable lack of comedy in either, especially in XIII. They really want you to focus on the "oppressive atmosphere" - the spiral of death, being fugitives with the entire world hating you, etc.. That's why you can't sidequest. It would kinda ruin the whole "feeling' of the pilgrimage in X or our heroes running away in XIII.

Then X-2 and XIII-2 come along and suddenly you can go anywhere you please almost from the start. Far from fixating on how dire everything is, both sequels smack you in the face with absurdity. Whether it's your rival team of goofballs known as the LeBlanc Syndicate and the condensed madness that is Brother or Serah talking about how the cat is her only family and yelling at Hope through space and time to defeat a boss, both sequels are substantially less serious.

I think my favorite thing is still XIII-2's "The Story So Far...." bit. What they could have done is give you a serious recap of events. What they did do was throw a random assortment of cutscenes at you in a weird mishmash that doesn't make any sense all to the tune of some soap opera music. It really is fantastic and sums up why I love the game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 20, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard to judge FFXV's combat because there was so little of it. You're fighting low-level mooks with non-customizable base abilities and the only real boss you fight is a gimmick designed to be probably oneshot by a summon

No, they put in a second boss that, as far as I could tell, was also impossible to kill without abusing Ramuh, only this time it doesn't kill it in one hit.
I guess technically it might be a high level normal enemy rather than an actual boss.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I see where you are coming from, but it still feels like an apple to oranges comparison to me mostly because you really cannot get much less serious than X-2. XIII-2 and LR felt a lot more serious to me compared to that game. I do agree that none of the sequels really "felt" like their originals though. No question about that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can get less serious than X-2 it's called FFV GBA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Fantasy X: Yuna Returns would be a cool game

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Baal posted:

You can get less serious than X-2 it's called FFV GBA

Okay but we are discussing sequels and how they compare to the original.

In Training posted:

Day 1 purchase

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

In Training posted:

Screw Lightning, Yuna is the best protagonist in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWkdMqERCM

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean you can also just as easily argue X-2 gets darker because X doesn't have a scene where three dudes literally point guns at each other's heads and an entire den of people who were horribly murdered.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Squashed Yuna doesn't like your sucky plan

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

I see where you are coming from, but it still feels like an apple to oranges comparison to me mostly because you really cannot get much less serious than X-2. XIII-2 and LR felt a lot more serious to me compared to that game. I do agree that none of the sequels really "felt" like their originals though. No question about that.

You're right. XIII-2 and X-2 have pretty much nothing in common apart from the things I listed, which are very superficial. I just found myself thinking of X-2 a lot when I played XIII-2 for the first time a few months back. As you say, it's probably just because of how very different the sequels feel to the original.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Baal posted:

I mean you can also just as easily argue X-2 is darker because X doesn't have a scene where three dudes literally point guns at each other's heads and an entire den of people who were horribly murdered.

Sure, you can try to make that argument but I am pretty sure that the general consensus is that X-2 is much more light hearted overall.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please don't talk about Yuna like that, she's very sensitive about her dimensions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno, X gets pretty stupid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Really all I'd want from a new FFXIII combat option is probably more abilities, a non-insane crafting/equipment system, and not playing that cutscene on the first paradigm shift of every battle.

Seriously, how did that last one make it to the final game?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish the mascot dresspheres made it into more games

I love sassy tonberry Paine

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Barudak posted:

Really all I'd want from a new FFXIII combat option is probably more abilities, a non-insane crafting/equipment system, and not playing that cutscene on the first paradigm shift of every battle.

Seriously, how did that last one make it to the final game?
What even is this I don't remember

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn't really like XV's combat in the demo but then again the demo had like 5 enemies and two bosses that you're supposed to just skip using a summon and is apparently missing like 95% of the gameplay features the actual main game will have so I guess that doesn't help in the slightest. Good for Square that they got some feedback though I guess?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Barudak posted:

and not playing that cutscene on the first paradigm shift of every battle.

I would have been a very happy person if this was a configuration option in the PC release.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nothing will ever beat citan from xenogears being a retired doctor who used to be a james bond spy and also 29

Xenogears was an intentional overkill of anime tropes though.

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought everyone said XIII-2 improved XIII's battle system. That was its biggest praise back when it first came out. Everyone said "you didn't like XIII? Play XIII-2, it fixed most of XIII's problems."

That all being said, I have only two complaints about XIII's battle system so far.

1. I cannot rely on the AI healer in a pinch. At least one AI healer. Maybe AI Medic works better if you have two of them. That's how I did things in my first run, anyway. But with only Vanille or Hope, better to just not get anywhere near dead at all costs.

2. The ranking system makes me frantic. I want dem five stars so I desperately attack attack ATTACK when the enemy is staggered, thinking "I ain't got time to heal!!!!" Then I die. I'd be more prudent if I wasn't being timed. But I am so gently caress, I actually lost to this easy boss at the theme park. I guess I was overthinking the boss since I only got 2 stars. I didn't need to buff myself or debuff it, apparently. Again, ranking system fucks me over for being prudent.

FF XIII's combat is so much better than XIII-2's I think it's insane that anybody would claim otherwise. Like I understand liking XIII-2 more than XIII, there are a lot of subjective factors that I personally don't care about which make it more appealing to Final Fantasy fans, but the combat is so much worse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

X-2 Yuna. :dance:

Baal posted:

I mean you can also just as easily argue X-2 gets darker because X doesn't have a scene where three dudes literally point guns at each other's heads and an entire den of people who were horribly murdered.

The Den of Woe is legitimately the creepiest thing in either of the X games. I did that place once and then never went back.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Den of Woe owns so hard. Here you are playing this loving goofy rear end sequel to this dour game and then it just loving hits you with death cave, the realm of eternal suffering.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh gurus of SA, what the gently caress is wrong with Fang's AI? I don't remember this problem at all but she is the first party member all game who just attacks whoever she loving feels like. On the Palamecia, fighting multiple of the big robots, and she is off attacking one of the ones NOT Staggered. It's loving bullshit and keeps getting me killed because they get pissed off and start doing real damage when low on health and I can't kill them with only Lightning and Hope. I just get them to low enough HP that they start killing me instead.

This is hardly game ender or anything, I'll win the stupid fight, but I really want to know what the deal is. She's been attacking other targets than mine all dungeon.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

She's probably in COM, and the way the game's AI deals with multiple COM setups is to have them all attack separate targets when applicable. It's kind of horrible for trying to maximize damage in random trash encounters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh...I didn't realize that. Everyone said COM increases damage so the more the better so I had a COM/COM/RAV setup as my "max damage dealing' paradigm.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh...I didn't realize that. Everyone said COM increases damage so the more the better so I had a COM/COM/RAV setup as my "max damage dealing' paradigm.

com increases damage, but the com ai also always prioritizes different targets. so if you're fighting a group you probably want the ais to be ravagers so they'll target whatever you're attacking. on single targets, like bosses, you can go ahead and have a bunch of coms because there's nothing else for them to target anyway and youll get the benefit of their passive damage boost

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I never really got into final fantasy except a year or two ago I played four (ps1 remake on vita) and it was fun. Anyway with the android christmas sale I got 5, 6, tactics (and chrono trigger, secret of mana and dragon quest 1&5 :D, never really got into the older jrpgs besides suikoden 2).

I started playing ff6 because a friend did too and holy poo poo it's sooooo good. I just beat the floating island, and holy goddamn kefka. gently caress this motherfucker. This game just tears at the heart strings. The opera scene may have been my favorite video game scene of all time as well. I hear chrono trigger rivals this game in terms of story so I'll probably play that next but I can't imagine it. How did I not play this for so long. Also being able to switch between my tablet (which I've never really gotten a use out of, it was free anyway. I played baldur's gate 1 on it and that's about it) and my phone so I can play at work on break is loving sweet. Takes two seconds, plus quick save. Anyway, I just wanted to rant and rave about how good ff6 is. Jesus.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Just do yourself a favor and don't look at any screenshots of the original FFVI because it makes the mobile one look like total poo poo. :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually I'm curious to hear (if only to confirm our biases :v:) what someone who isn't comparing it to the original thinks of the graphics.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Eerkik posted:

I started playing ff6 because a friend did too and holy poo poo it's sooooo good. I just beat the floating island, and holy goddamn kefka. gently caress this motherfucker. This game just tears at the heart strings.

This is important: Did you wait for Shadow?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Eerkik posted:

holy goddamn kefka. gently caress this motherfucker.

Kefka is the worst, and that's why he's also the best. I like how his introductory scene is him stopping halfway through the desert to have his lackeys get the sand out of his boots, laughing at them for doing it, and then calling them idiots.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlphaKretin posted:

Actually I'm curious to hear (if only to confirm our biases :v:) what someone who isn't comparing it to the original thinks of the graphics.

It doesn't look good, but the game runs fine so idgaf

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baal posted:

I dunno, X gets pretty stupid
What are you talking abo-- [Seymour's hair slowly comes into frame]

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like I bought FFV on my phone and yeah it looks like rear end, but none of that is stopping me from enjoying playing the actual game and doing Four Job Fiesta, so I don't really care enough to be like, "lol guys that lovely FFV port mirite?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Baal posted:

Like I bought FFV on my phone and yeah it looks like rear end, but none of that is stopping me from enjoying playing the actual game and doing Four Job Fiesta, so I don't really care enough to be like, "lol guys that lovely FFV port mirite?"

I did a run on the mobile port last year and I realized I hate touch-screen interfaces for ATB and I really want fast-forward for a game I've played around 10 times by now.