Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Bobby Hield turned 22 last month; that's barely older than Draymond when he was drafted

He's the same age as Andre Drummond.

I'm always surprised when I remember how young Drummond still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Max Awfuls posted:

He's the same age as Andre Drummond.

I'm always surprised when I remember how young Drummond still is.

If you think that makes you feel old Greg Oden turns 28 pretty soon and Favors has been in the league for like 6 years and is only 24.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
My next pressing concern after my intense personal desire for Buddy Hield is Will The Grizzlies Draft Ron Baker In The Later Rounds

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hows the international list looking? Bender is the only one Ive heard of.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ButtWolf posted:

Pretty meh. Korkmaz and Luwawu might go in the first and there's Sabonis and the kid at Kansas.

I'm forgetting someone though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Pretty meh. Korkmaz and Luwawu might go in the first and there's Sabonis and the kid at Kansas.

Simmons

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Technically correct. The best kind of correct.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I've been hating on this draft, and I still think it's really shallow, but Simmons and Brandon Ingram is really really good top 2

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

As always, the caveat when I talk about non nba players, I've only watched highlight videos

Furkan Korkmaz is sort of a typical euro tall wing prospect, crafty scorer, maybe compare him to Fournier but with more playmaking.
Juan Hernangomez is an energy 4 who's a pretty good midrange shooter
Guerschon Yabusele is an undersized four who hip checks people like zbo, but all the way to the three point line, doesn't seem to be great a anything in particular.
Sabonis has short arms which is usually a kiss of death, haven't watched him at all.
Timothe Luwawu has long arms and is athletic. Videos of him in the adriatic league remind me a bit of Dennis Schroder in the german league, or Mudiay in china. He's longer, faster, and stronger than guys he's matched up with. He needs to learn basketball skills, that's why he's mocked way down.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

I've been hating on this draft, and I still think it's really shallow, but Simmons and Brandon Ingram is really really good top 2

Bobby Hield Will Literally Be An All Star

Luwawu will probably get drafted in the lottery just based on tools. Also I feel like DraftExpress projects everyone to be a great defender

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Bobby Hield Will Literally Be An All Star
People will literally sour on Hield because he's a senior (DraftExpress has him down at #22 now) and somehow he will fall to the Spurs and become their newest perennial All-Star.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's almost like there is a reason people are skeptical of prospects who make a big leap as a senior

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've always felt Kaleb Tarczewski had a decent shot of making it in the NBA in some capacity because of his size and fairly solid defense, but he somehow returned from injury with a nice little post game, and is finally rebounding the ball at a decent clip too this season.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could jalen Brown be a lock down wing defender.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

It's almost like there is a reason people are skeptical of prospects who make a big leap as a senior

I mean, it's not like Buddy was bad last year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, it's not like Buddy was bad last year.

He wasn't but he's taken a huge jump in efficiency this year and that becomes less meaningful when trying to project someone's NBA future the older the player is and the longer he's been in school because there are a lot of inherent advantages to being older and more experienced than a large portion of the guys you're competing against.

I don't think he's going to be a terrible NBA player or something, I just think he's more like a mid first round type guy who will probably top out as a good off the bench gunner. There are legitimate explanations for his stock being lower than you'd expect it to be for a guy who is as productive as he's been this season.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 21, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rick posted:

I would like to see the Kings make the playoffs, I have had a soft spot for that team in the Cousin's era.

Am I the only one who liked the more after they acquired Rondo? I really liked the idea of them embracing the heel role.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

tadashi posted:

Am I the only one who liked the more after they acquired Rondo? I really liked the idea of them embracing the heel role.

They have a nice edge to them now that isn't just Cousins, which is entertaining. I actually kind of think they're a worse basketball team overall under Karl but it probably doesn't matter since the West got bad enough to open the door for them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I get why people are down on Hield but I don't care me and Buddy are gonna get gay married

Rick posted:

I've always felt Kaleb Tarczewski had a decent shot of making it in the NBA in some capacity because of his size and fairly solid defense, but he somehow returned from injury with a nice little post game, and is finally rebounding the ball at a decent clip too this season.

I mean he's 7 feet tall he'll be on the end of somebody's bench

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I get why people are down on Hield but I don't care me and Buddy are gonna get gay married

I mean he's 7 feet tall he'll be on the end of somebody's bench

This was the basis of my "he'll probably be the guy who has the longest NBA career of the bunch" argument vis a vis the Arizona team from a couple years ago, but I think he might be able to do a little more than just be a stiff now. Probably not a career starter but who knows.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
NickRoweFillea/Hield 2016: Shooting We Can Believe In

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I want Hield to be really good, but I'm afraid that he's going to be like a shooting guard version of Wesley Johnson

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is extremely fun to watch and I will be happy if he's good.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
give him to me. i dont give a gently caress im just so god drat tired of drafting athletic and extremely injury prone players who might one day turn out to be good but you'll never know because they rot in iowa

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Im wrong but I get Allan Ray vibes from him. I remember being pretty high on Ray. He was NBA ready. Then nothing. I guess getting your eyeball almost knocked out might be bad.

Valentine and Hield are going to go like 19th and 22nd or something and be those that during a redraft article get picked 5th and 6th.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 24, 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

@franfraschilla

Impressed with improvement of Utes' Jakob Poeltl from foul line. Shot 43% last year. 13-16 tonight & over 70%. He'll go 5-10 in NBA draft.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
https://twitter.com/Pac12Networks/status/691746569826230273

I'm sold on this guy based on this one play, I don't care that Jaylen sounds like something Sarah Palin would name her kid

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone watched Gary Payton II play? Stat-wise, he looks similar to his father. Just wondering if the eye test shows the same. That would be cool to literally have a Glove clone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

Has anyone watched Gary Payton II play? Stat-wise, he looks similar to his father. Just wondering if the eye test shows the same. That would be cool to literally have a Glove clone.

Defensively he looks a lot like his dad. He's really long and athletic and gets a ton of steals. He's also a great shot blocker and rebounder for his size. He's not even close to his dad offensively though. He can't shoot at all, and doesn't always look like the most natural point guard, although he's gotten a little better in that regard (his shot selection used to be absolutely horrible but it seems to have improved a lot this year). He's still pretty raw for a 23 year old, but he's interesting from a tools perspective. He'll get drafted. Could be late first but probably more like early second.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Fun Fact Gary Payton II was born years after Gary Payton Jr. He's The Glove's second try at having a son he respects so he tried the name again.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I want Buddy

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

With all the national attention OU is getting now, and him beasting, I think he is a lock for 8-14 slot.

Edit: He's probably the next Courtney Lee or similar, which is fine.

Or could go the way of Jameer Nelson, where an older player of the year gets passed up a lot for potential guys.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 26, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If you're a non college basketball watching NBA fan, you might enjoy this article about why Skal Labissiere has fallen from #2 to number #18 and beyond in mocks

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/01/11/skal-labissiere-kentucky-karl-anthony-towns-2016-nba-draft-stock/

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/nba-scout-praises-kentuckys-tyler-ulis-crushes-skal-labissiere/160507684/
Features a link to this post where an NBA scout says he wouldn't pick Skal with the 51st pick

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Going back to this question, Givony thinks it'll be a strong draft for internationals.

quote:

Jonathan Givony @Draftexpress
Repeating my stance from earlier. This will be a banner year for int'l draft prospects. I could see 10 guys going first round. Maybe more...

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I want Buddy Hield!!!!!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Going back to this question, Givony thinks it'll be a strong draft for internationals.

Is that strength of the intl class or weakness of the college players? Dragon Bender is the only guy I've heard of with all-star potential.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Is that strength of the intl class or weakness of the college players? Dragon Bender is the only guy I've heard of with all-star potential.

That's a good point; mile wide and an inch deep.

Also, he has to be counting guys like Simmons, Labissierre, Murray, and Sabonis as internationals right? Because in terms of "real" internationals, Bender, Luwawu, and Korkmaz really are the only guys solidly in the first round.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Tell me about Caris LeVert. Is he an injury prone athletic tweener

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

I want Buddy Hield!!!!!
Hield was pure :mmmhmm: over the last ten minutes of today's game.

EDIT: Skal Labissiere is absolutely MIA in the first half at Kansas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickRoweFillea posted:

Tell me about Caris LeVert. Is he an injury prone athletic tweener

Yeah thats who Memphis is drafting, not Buddy.

• Locked thread