Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Red_Fred posted:

It's not my cooktop so that's a concern also I heard that cast iron pans get so hot as to damage the cooktop?

I don't think the cast iron pan can get hotter than the cooktop that is heating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know we're talking about cast iron which isn't a speedy cooking surface anyways but using a diffuser under it would be insane to me, your apartment would heat up before your pan.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Red_Fred posted:

It's not my cooktop so that's a concern also I heard that cast iron pans get so hot as to damage the cooktop?

There certainly wouldn't be any issue if I did get a defuser though right?

I've heard this concern about using home canners on a ceramic top; supposedly they overhang the burner too much causing uneven heating or heating in areas that aren't supposed to be heated or whatever... no idea if any of it is true. Match the pot to the burner size and everything should be fine.

OTOH you might be talking about an induction top while the rest of us are discussing conventional radiant tops?

Ceramic tops will scratch eventually even if you go out and buy a set of compatible steel pans and your wife refuses to let you use your cast iron pans on the new stove. Besides the "lift before moving" thing you have to make sure you don't rotate the pans in place. If I had a do-over my cast irons would be on the ceramic top from Day 1.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably not a concern, water and steam are pretty awesome at distributing heat evenly.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I know we're talking about cast iron which isn't a speedy cooking surface anyways but using a diffuser under it would be insane to me, your apartment would heat up before your pan.

Nah, diffusers transfer heat quickly and evenly. I regularly use one with my enameled cast iron dutch oven when I want a gentler, more even simmer. There isn't a big difference in the heat-up time of the dutch oven + diffuser vs just the dutch oven.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Mr. Wookums posted:

I have a big old island that I want to keep an end grain cutting board on and also an unrelated meat grinder (can be KA attachment but I recall those get hot fast.) For the cutting board I wouldn't mind supporting some dude rather than a factory.

Deoria Made makes some really nice cutting boards.
http://www.deoriamade.com/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I decided I wanted to turn my lodge pans smooth. I bought a wire cup brush for my drill and I've been going to town on this pan but other than taking off the seasoning, it doesn't seem to be wearing down the surface much. Is there a better tool? Do i need an oscillating grinder and one of those gnarly metal discs?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

I decided I wanted to turn my lodge pans smooth. I bought a wire cup brush for my drill and I've been going to town on this pan but other than taking off the seasoning, it doesn't seem to be wearing down the surface much. Is there a better tool? Do i need an oscillating grinder and one of those gnarly metal discs?

I love the idea and your creativeness, but why are you trying to turn your pans smooth? I have a couple lodge cast iron pans - with admittedly mediocre seasoning - but if I cook something correctly, I get close to 0 sticking.

If I'm wrong, I'd look at something like a giant metal dremel head / sander to cut away at it. Something maybe like a metal grinding wheel or something? and then polish off with a random orbit sander?

again though, I'd probably just embrace the pits and valleys and keep on seasoning my pan, personally.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I think you'd want a sander, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to find one that can properly reach the flat surface inside the pan. A quick google indicates that most sanders have the handle too low, so the edges of the pan would get in the way.

You could always try sanding it by hand, it's a cheap thing to try rather than investing in a power tool.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 21, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
You want a disc sander bit for your drill (assuming you don't own one) here's an example.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Steve Yun posted:

A wire brush is great for removing rust or anything else clinging to the surface of iron/steel (paint, seasoning, etc). To actually remove enough material to make a difference, you'd need something like an angled flap disc and some sort of adapter arbor (they're generally designed for angle grinders). Be warned, they can be pretty aggressive and you could easily end up with dished depressions in your pan rather than a smooth surface.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Schpyder posted:

Be warned, they can be pretty aggressive and you could easily end up with dished depressions in your pan rather than a smooth surface.

Yeah exactly. If you want to actually remove metal (for whatever reason), do it by hand. Or else you may not like the results.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used an angle grinder to get mine smooth. My electric drill just didn't have the power to do it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing there isn't much of a difference between low-cost toasters? Was looking to keep it around or preferably under $30 and don't need anything fancy, just bread and the occasional bagel, found this one which has 4 slots which is a bonus: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Slice-Touch-Toaster/dp/B0014E0UFQ

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Steve Yun posted:

I used a big rotary sanding pad. I did this 5 years ago I think and IMO my pan afterwards has performed much, much better than before the procedure.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

I used a big rotary sanding pad. I did this 5 years ago I think and IMO my pan afterwards has performed much, much better than before the procedure.

Do they make them for drills or do I need to buy a different tool

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

You can get them for drills. But your cordless drill may not have enough torque to get the job done. Mine certainly didn't (dewalt). YMMV

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can get an angle grinder or oscillator for $45 at harbor freight, not bad considering I can also use it for sanding the scale layer off my baking steel

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Buy a 10 dollar harbor freight angle grinder, throw it away after you're done and it's shook your fillings out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I can get an angle grinder or oscillator for $45 at harbor freight, not bad considering I can also use it for sanding the scale layer off my baking steel

It is very fulfilling when you find the right tool for it. oooh shiny

Only registered members can see post attachments!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

extravadanza posted:

Use them to punch out biscuits from a piece of dough for biscuits and gravy, if they aren't too big? I mean I just a regular drinking glass for that, but I guess these would be an upgrade.

Noooo don't do this! It pinches down the edges of the biscuits and keeps them from being as lofty as possible! You want a really sharp biscuit cutter to punch out biscuits. I have this 11 piece set and it's great for biscuits, cookies, bagels, doughnuts, cooking up a round fried egg, etc etc etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Blendtecs started showing up at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for $200

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Steve Yun posted:

I used a drill, but it was a pretty high powered 230v corded drill from the 80s I borrowed from my dad, it could twist your arms off. My current 18V makita drill could probably do it easily. I have more tools and a workshop now, so what I'd do today is use my 9" disc sander attachment for my lathe and sand the entire surface in one go.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any recommendations for chamber vacuum sealers for personal use? Looking for both a "best buy" and a "price is no object".

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

VP215 is probably what you want.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a brand of food mill?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend a brand of food mill?

The OXO one is outstanding, just like almost everything they make.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm guessing there isn't much of a difference between low-cost toasters? Was looking to keep it around or preferably under $30 and don't need anything fancy, just bread and the occasional bagel, found this one which has 4 slots which is a bonus: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Slice-Touch-Toaster/dp/B0014E0UFQ

I don't know about the one you linked but the Amazon best seller from Oster toasts notably more evenly than any other toaster I've owned

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I'm in the market for a food processor. I like the Cuisinart models but I'm wondering what size people recommend for general use. 7 cup? 9? 14?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Glambags posted:

I'm in the market for a food processor. I like the Cuisinart models but I'm wondering what size people recommend for general use. 7 cup? 9? 14?

Rule of thumb is "biggest you can afford," because you can make small things in big bowls but not vice versa. I have a 9-cup Cuisinart, because I ignored that rule. Mostly it's fine. Once in a blue moon it feels limiting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an 11 and a 14. The 11 is enough for 98% of what I do.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have the 14 cup Cuisinart, 2 person household. In the 10 years I've been using it, I've wished it was smaller maybe twice and wished it was larger the same amount of times. Seems to be a perfect size and while the workbowl and blade are getting worn out the motor is as strong and quiet as the day I got it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is the toaster I have and it's great. Also a Hamilton Beach, and has a 4-slot model in case you need one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXMO02W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Bonus: It's only about $30.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
What do you guys think of this? I know it's a bit pricey, but you have to think of stuff like this as an investment

https://jeb2016.com/shop/lifestyle/guaca-bowle/?lang=en

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Jeb! 2016 posted:

...Now, you can get in on the act with this “Guaca Bowle.” Jeb’s secret guacamole recipe not included…yet.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/31/461518357/finally-revealed-jeb-bushs-secret-guacamole-recipe

No lemon(or even lime)?! Jeb has lost my vote.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Oh, so it's a religious war you want, eh? Aztecs didn't use no goddamn lime or lemon, get the gently caress outta here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wanna buy a tart tin. Should I get metal or nonstick.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a Benriner a few weeks ago and so far I'm happy with its ability to julienne the poo poo out of carrots, but I do have a few concerns.

I didn't buy the kind that comes with a tray, so I have to hold it up awkwardly over wherever I want the slices to end up. It's hard to hold and makes slicing kind of a pain. If I lay it flat, it gets stuck up pretty easily. Should I just get the tray or something?

Julienning things causes small slices to stop up the gap between the smooth blade and interchangeable blade. Every few slices, I have to stop and scrape it out with a fork or knife. Is this normal, or am I holding it wrong or something?

The fingat guard is total balls and just makes it harder to use. I feel wayyy too unsafe to cut up an entire carrot, so I end up leaving a nub left behind once it gets too small to handle comfortably.

Slicing gets tough occasionally. I have to add some force to get the veg to slice through sometimes. It was particularly bad with the outer surface of an onion, and I had to give up after a while. Why is this happening?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have the larger Benriner and feel the same way about the julienne blades...you really have to ram it through and it's not confidence inspiring when a small slip could hamburger your fingers pretty good. I only use it for slicing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Julienning requires a lot more force on any mandolin, which requires a hand guard, and that's where the benriner kinda sucks, its hand guard sucks.

Option A: hold the carrot diagonally so that your hand is safely above the blade

Option B: use a kitchen towel to hold the carrot

Try not to use silverware to clear stuff out of the blades, you might nick or dull the blades which will then cause you to require MORE force to push a vegetable through. Use a wooden toothpick instead.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 28, 2016