Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Is there a space ship that looks like a giant penis?

The freelancer or maybe that science ship you can put two balls on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Paladinus posted:

Is there a space ship that looks like a giant penis?

"No but there is a penis that looks like a man, it's called Chris Roberts".

"No but there is a penis that looks like a man, it's called Ben lesnick".

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

for those of us checking up periodically, what does the actual playable Star Citizen experience that people can actually load up and tool around in look like?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

for those of us checking up periodically, what does the actual playable Star Citizen experience that people can actually load up and tool around in look like?

Check out Pgabz videos

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"No but there is a penis that looks like a man, it's called Chris Roberts".

"No but there is a scrotum that looks like a man, it's called Ben lesnick".

FTFY!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's bland

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

A Crysis mod.

This is not a joke. It looks and feels like an amateur Crysis mod. Ship handling is awful and the FPS parts feel much the same as Crysis. The only bit of it I've found comes close to feeling right and fun is EVA. If you run and jump off the side of a station it's not only pretty cool but it has the right amount of mass to the movement.

On an unrelated note, did you ever play the zero G sections in Crysis?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Very Grey. Both literally and metaphorically.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Had to look up what ftfy means but now I understand.

A better one would be "There's a man that looks like a haggis, his earth name is Ben lesnick, but the locals call him tragi sack".

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Had to look up what ftfy means but now I understand.

A better one would be "There's a man that looks like a haggis, his earth name is Ben lesnick, but the locals call him tragi sack".

if croberts climbs up on blesnick's shoulder then they would form a complete walking male genital

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

There's a video somewhere where they demonstrate the shield system. If I recall correctly it was a touch screen and you could drag your finger around it like an ipad.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just this explains so much :pgabz:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

if croberts climbs up on blesnick's shoulder then they would form a complete walking male genital

Ok i'm definitely drawing that now....

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Looks like Matilda's back

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Looks like Matilda's back

I'm sure his 12 hour timeout session was enough time to cool off and reflect on the disastrous turn his life has taken since birth. He'll be a new man now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I need a super brief summary of the last 3000 posts have the entire stat citizen dev team been charged with fraud yet?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
What do the numbers next to reddit posts mean, and why does it keep changing? In between the arrows?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Squadron42/comments/41wpxt/oldman_or_old_man/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

Elite could use a bit more design variety, but I generally agree with the idea of a consistent design, so I can't fault their conservative attitude in that department. The ships in Star Citizen all look like they were designed by different people working in different companies on totally different kinds of games, then all thrown together in the same space.

Even franchises that offered many different kinds of ships (Babylon 5, Star Trek, Star Wars) still had an overall feeling of those ships being from the same universe. SC suffers very badly from that inconsistency, and it's everywhere you look, right down to the soda machines which are perfectly logical in a place where you can't take off your helmet. Even the space station itself is a mess of contrived ideas pasted together into a non-cohesive whole.

That's because Elite has a cohesive vision for a game universe, and Star Citizen is being managed by a guy who changes his mind on a whim.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Actually scratch the picture of ben, I've just done it and realised i'm wasting my life drawing sad fat people.
I'm gonna paint a loving sunset or something.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Actually scratch the picture of ben, I've just done it and realised i'm wasting my life drawing sad fat people.
I'm gonna paint a loving sunset or something.

Draw some happy little trees.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Without being harsh or overly critical Star Citizen is very bland looking and feeling, it' the kind of game that is like Hard Reset, it's OK but nothing there that screams its own identity. Like you see a screenshot of Hard Reset and it'll take you a while to figure out which game it is because it looks so generic, compared to say, I dunno, Borderlands where you know instantly what it is because the creative direction is good and it's really identifiable as being Borderlands.

The walking around feels a bit odd, sluggish I suppose, there seems to be a micro lag with every input, especially jumping. The flight model seems to be outright missing, it feels the same as the walking, ship mass doesn't seem to affect anything.

There is an obsession with everything being clicked to 'use' from many many buttons to chairs to doors to ladders (wtf) - everything requires your input and is usually followed by a lengthy animation that takes control away from your character.
So the action of say walking through a door and going up a ladder becomes a loving dull rear end in a top hat of an experience the second time you do it onwards.

But to me more than anything it's the blandness, the loving dullness of everything. The game is so preoccupied with creating a realistic immersive experience that the fun is missing, it's just not there - there is no joy to be had.

I'm going to do a really idiotic comparison, but gently caress it why not.
I've been playing Disney Infinity with my son, the new Star Wars one. It is a loving blast - questing, space ships, sci fi all that bollocks but it's expertly wrapped up in such a way that it grabs you by the scruff of the neck and drags you along on a really really fun ride.
It IS a stupid comparison, I know that - but it is a great example of a game made with a vision by a company who know what they are doing, and it's a night and day difference, Star Citizen feels ridiculous and soul-destroying bland in comparison, it's woeful.

It's also not a sim, what is a loving sim about it? It doesn't simulate anything.

I get that sims are straight faced, I play iRacing for fucks sake, I understand the difference between iRacing and Mario Kart - one is a sim the other dumb good fun, the problem with Star Citizen is it is neither a sim or dumb good fun, it's just 30gb of 'meh'

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I almost mentioned the clipper specifically - I'm working towards that now specifically because I liked the design. Hopefully more things along those lines come out over the years.

Indeed. They've added a few more similar looking ships since release (Imperial Courier, Imperial Cutter).

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

PAAARP is now integrated in the game.

quote:

It has come to our attention that some players are experiencing a severe audio distortion bug which results in extreme volumes. This has been reported to happen after prolonged play sessions of over an hour or so. We are looking into the issue as a top priority but we are reaching out to ask for help in providing as much information and hopefully video evidence of the bug occurring.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41zkdh/psa_very_loud_distorted_noise/

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

If there are any other lurkers reading this thread wondering why goons keep ridiculing the developers and fans of this game. Watch this video. The man featured in it is in charge of its development.

Also there's a complimentary hobo-santa.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Without being harsh or overly critical Star Citizen is very bland looking and feeling, it' the kind of game that is like Hard Reset, it's OK but nothing there that screams its own identity. Like you see a screenshot of Hard Reset and it'll take you a while to figure out which game it is because it looks so generic, compared to say, I dunno, Borderlands where you know instantly what it is because the creative direction is good and it's really identifiable as being Borderlands.

The walking around feels a bit odd, sluggish I suppose, there seems to be a micro lag with every input, especially jumping. The flight model seems to be outright missing, it feels the same as the walking, ship mass doesn't seem to affect anything.

There is an obsession with everything being clicked to 'use' from many many buttons to chairs to doors to ladders (wtf) - everything requires your input and is usually followed by a lengthy animation that takes control away from your character.
So the action of say walking through a door and going up a ladder becomes a loving dull rear end in a top hat of an experience the second time you do it onwards.

But to me more than anything it's the blandness, the loving dullness of everything. The game is so preoccupied with creating a realistic immersive experience that the fun is missing, it's just not there - there is no joy to be had.

I've been playing Disney Infinity with my son, the new Star Wars one. It is a loving blast - questing, space ships, sci fi all that bollocks but it's expertly wrapped up in such a way that it grabs you by the scruff of the neck and drags you along on a really really fun ride.
It IS a stupid comparison, I know that - but it is a great example of a game made with a vision by a company who know what they are doing, and it's a night and day difference, Star Citizen feels ridiculous and soul-destroying bland in comparison, it's woeful.

It's also not a sim, what is a loving sim about it? It doesn't simulate anything.

I get that sims are straight faced, I play iRacing for fucks sake, I understand the difference between iRacing and Mario Kart - one is a sim the other dumb good fun, the problem with Star Citizen is it is neither a sim or dumb good fun, it's just 30gb of 'meh'

Seriously, which space game do you prefer when it comes to the ship models? To me SC's ships are by far the best so far when it comes to visuals. As for the blandness in the game in general - I agree and I can't figure out what's causing it, it could be the similar-ish colour scale in all scenes or the horrible blurryness, not sure. But if you take the ships themselves in an isolated environment they look fantastic!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen: 30GB of 'meh'

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Iglocska posted:

Seriously, which space game do you prefer when it comes to the ship models? To me SC's ships are by far the best so far when it comes to visuals. As for the blandness in the game in general - I agree and I can't figure out what's causing it, it could be the similar-ish colour scale in all scenes or the horrible blurryness, not sure. But if you take the ships themselves in an isolated environment they look fantastic!

The ships look great but they just are blandorama and dull

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Then I have good news: the PU will be nothing but isolated environments, with a max of 16 players each. Maybe CIG is playing the long game?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

good luck getting evidence of a gameplay period of over an hour

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

The ships look great but they just are blandorama and dull

Come on, this looks fantastic:

The ships are distinct and several of the ships from the same manufacturer have a similar design style (Retaliator and the Vanguard for example).

What I don't get is why they look like a grey blurry mess on a darker grey blurry background in-game when flying.

BTW, for (imho) pleasing ship design besides SC, I really dig the ships in the Homeworld games.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I once did a prolonged play session of a game

It lasted over an hour

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

T.G. Xarbala posted:

But finding out the real name of an internet stalker is not exactly on the same level as trying to incite people to harass the family of someone who criticizes a developer of a game they like. And that guy with the personal vendetta against dsmart had a long loving history of pulling this kind of thing. He actually doxxed Bootcha and stalked him in multiple places, only stopping when his harassment drove fuzzknot to the point of threatening him with physical harm should he try escalate his crusade against Bootcha in person. And by all rights it looked like matilda2013 was willing to go that far up until she put her foot down.

I have no idea if Karltilda even saw that post. My guess would be no, otherwise he probably would've harassed/doxxed me as well, but then again, he did quit posting here and left Bootcha alone after that.

I know Bootcha can take care of himself, but gently caress it. Nothing makes me FLIP MY poo poo like somebody picking on Bootcha.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Iglocska posted:

The ships are distinct and several of the ships from the same manufacturer have a similar design style (Retaliator and the Vanguard for example).

What I don't get is why they look like a grey blurry mess on a darker grey blurry background in-game when flying.

BTW, for (imho) pleasing ship design besides SC, I really dig the ships in the Homeworld games.

You have just cost CIG a nice little earner. I was about to purchase that JPEG from their website for $3,500 with insurance, space tax and fluffy dice. Now I have saved myself a wedge by simply right click and save image on here. Thank you

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Iglocska posted:

See to me that looks 'ok' - I mean, for fucks sake this is a Sci Fi game, the clue here is in the 'Fi' bit, you can literally create anything you want here, have ships made of cobwebs with frying pans for wings, in fact why have wings? Just have blobs of shining lights or something, concrete triangles with hamburger engines, raccoon shaped cockpits with vaseline windows and poo poo.

I don't really care, what pisses me off is 'OH HURRR HOW ABOUT A B-1 LANCER WITH MORE FINS???'

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Iglocska posted:

I am not specifically for or against the star citizen project, but that just doesn't really look all that great? It cribs heavily from existing aircraft designs that don't seem to make sense in space, and I'm assuming it's also for atmospheric flight or those fins and swept wings make no sense, and just in general it's a big pile of lines and panels that doesn't really have much to say. Your comment of it being a "grey blurry mess" is accurate, but it's all the time, not just flying. And why are the turrets mounted in such a bad place? Why wouldn't you want turrets on the sides, to be able to fire at the widest possible angle?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EightAce posted:

You have just cost CIG a nice little earner. I was about to purchase that JPEG from their website for $3,500 with insurance, space tax and fluffy dice. Now I have saved myself a wedge by simply right click and save image on here. Thank you

Holy poo poo this works!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Why do all their ships have loving stupid pointy bits, that bugs me. Even the loving gun barrels have fins.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I think it's time to reiterate this, lowtax, don't ever get your kid involved in streaming games just don't....too many loving weirdoes on the internet......

Lowtax + family have been receiving death threats since the first ban, so I wouldn't worry. Also, he owns forums that contain an amount of loving weirdoes on the internet.

fuzzknot posted:

I know Bootcha can take care of himself, but gently caress it. Nothing makes me FLIP MY poo poo like somebody picking on Bootcha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRowC6t8tjA

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iglocska posted:

The ships by themselves do look great. Some of them slip into a kind of 'generic sci-fi' style but I think the bigger problem is there's a real lack of cohesiveness in the rest of the game. So so much of it is just "near future sci-fi" and it really drags down the look of some of the more interesting ships. Port Olisar looks like it could have been cut out of any generic space game, and there's no reason for it. They obviously have a talented art team, but for whatever reason chose to go with "tube with spinny rings that we don't need" instead of something that says "We've been to the edge of the galaxy and humanity is thriving in space" and looks unique to the universe.

• Locked thread