Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked the earlier episodes where Johnny wasn't such an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

I think Animaniacs did, I recall a joke about "diuretics."
If they did, then they used the exact same joke as Rocko's Modern Life.

Jack Gladney posted:

Do they not do mini marathons of it? The creator got kicked off partway through the first season, as I recall.
I came here to ask if they were in the middle of a Clarence bomb, because I saw that they were playing a new episode of 5pm today. Not sure why they're doing it that early, maybe it's not as big of a priority for Cartoon Network as their other shows. That's a shame, because I like it. There will always be room for cartoons that don't have an overarching plot and are just fun to watch. And yeah, Skyler Page (the creator) was booted as soon as several women confirmed that he's a serial sexual harasser. All he really did was voice Clarence and come up with the idea for his character; other people did more than him so it's not a big loss.

And bringing it back to progressive issues, there is a same-sex couple and a single parent (though Chad is Clarence's father figure) on that show. Cartoon Network nixed a scene where two men meeting for a date kiss each other on the lips, though they did end up kissing each other on the cheek. Not something that makes or breaks a show, but it's good to have kids relate to things that they see on TV.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 19, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think they just tend to play the bomb episodes when they'd normally play the episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darkwing Duck returns to TV in 2018 and in comic book form this April:

http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/darkwing-duck-headed-back-to-tv-in-2018

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 21, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Larryb posted:

Darkwing Duck returns to TV in 2018 and in comic book form this April:

http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/darkwing-duck-headed-back-to-tv-in-2018

quote:

Update: Well, no he’s not. The comic series is definitely happening (confirmed by Bleeding Cool), but io9 has let us know that the animated series sources back to a recent April Fool’s Day prank.

Boo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drat, too bad then. Well at least the Ducktales revival is still happening though, albiet with a completly new voice cast it seems.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn't Uncle Scrooge still alive? Are they worried he'll die soon?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jack Gladney posted:

He did the voice of Scrooge in the Ducktales remaster a few years ago and he sounded as perfect as ever as him so. I dunno why they wouldn't just use him again unless they literally are just worried he's gonna die at any moment

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
He seems pretty healthy, but he is 96 years old, so

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 21, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pakled posted:

He seems pretty healthy, but he is 96 years old, so

Yeah, Alan Young is gonna be a tough act to follow (maybe even harder than replacing Wayne Allwine as Mickey) as he's been voicing Scrooge since I believe the character's first animated appearance. Not sure about the source but I think I remember Launchpad's actor posting something back when the new show was annouced about Disney deciding to hire new actors to voice the characters rather than getting the old group back together (he seemed kind of disappointed about it too as he was perfectly willing to come back).

Ed: Found it: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/news/Ducktales-Cast-not-Returning-for-Reboot/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 21, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Alan Young is gonna be a tough act to follow (maybe even harder than replacing Wayne Allwine as Mickey) as he's been voicing Scrooge since I believe the character's first animated appearance. Not sure about the source but I think I remember Launchpad's actor posting something back when the new show was annouced about Disney deciding to hire new actors to voice the characters rather than getting the old group back together (he seemed kind of disappointed about it too as he was perfectly willing to come back).

Ed: Found it: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/news/Ducktales-Cast-not-Returning-for-Reboot/

Alan Young is a treasure, but I would not be upset if they recast an almost centenarian actor. It's one thing to do a one-off game, it's another deal entirely to go back in to a series. Kinda bummed to hear that they're not bringing everyone back, though. I would be surprised if they recast Donald or the boys, since those have the whole corporate synergy thing going on. But I don't think they've even announced any final cast members yet.

There were two animated things where Young did not provide the voice of Scrooge. Scrooge McDuck and Money and Sport Goofy (a kind of proto-Ducktales) both had different actors playing Scrooge.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Internet Journalism.

Jack Gladney posted:

Dude is literally almost 100 years old, I would not want to bank on him outliving the show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, it'd be accurate considering Scrooge started his fortune in the 1896 Klondike gold rush.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Buzzfeed proudly presents Only 90s Kids Will Like This: The Movie.

or: they're actually making a Avengers style Nicktoons movie and I am disgusted at my entire generation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's about time Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue got a theatrical remake.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TwoPair posted:

or: they're actually making a Avengers style Nicktoons movie and I am disgusted at my entire generation.

Don't be mad at your generation, be mad at the generation before yours for allowing corporations to become so batshit insane.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm kind of suprirsed they're straight up including the Angry Beavers. I thought Nickelodeon only kind of tolerated that show because the creator tried to make an episode making fun of them or something

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

quote:

That being said, ’90s kids would probably stop rejoicing and revolt if characters from Hey Arnold!, The Wild Thornberrys, and Doug don’t show up.

No I'm actually just fine with Doug staying dead. In fact, let's dig up it's corpse and burn it in a dumpster just to be sure it stays that way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, the Wild Thornberrys sucked.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Not only is this old news, it's old news that I had forgotten about until this post, you rear end in a top hat.

Macaluso posted:

I'm kind of suprirsed they're straight up including the Angry Beavers. I thought Nickelodeon only kind of tolerated that show because the creator tried to make an episode making fun of them or something
I don't think there was one of those episodes, but the series finale had a not-so-subtle dis against Nickelodeon. Something about milking old re-runs of dead shows dry? Regardless, True '90s Kids loved that show (I stopped watching Nickelodeon right around when Angry Beavers started, so I am not one), so they gotta include it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

If nothing else, the fact that Ren and Stimpy are involved means that John K is going to hate it, and I'll take anything that will get him to flail around like the angry, embittered man that he is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Not only is this old news, it's old news that I had forgotten about until this post, you rear end in a top hat.

No, before it was a rumor, now it is a sick reality

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

If nothing else, the fact that Ren and Stimpy are involved means that John K is going to hate it, and I'll take anything that will get him to flail around like the angry, embittered man that he is.

Silver linings to every cloud I suppose

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Admittedly, the only time Ren and Stimpy was any good was when he was involved with it. After he left, it kept the grossout humor but none of the charm. So I can understand his bitterness just a little bit. He's still a huge curmudgeon about cartoons, though, and that's both pathetic and hilarious.

TwoPair posted:

No, before it was a rumor, now it is a sick reality
Oh.

That's even worse.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

readingatwork posted:

No I'm actually just fine with Doug staying dead. In fact, let's dig up it's corpse and burn it in a dumpster just to be sure it stays that way.

I think Disney still owns the rights to Doug, so I doubt he would be included in this mess.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
As someone who grew up watching those shows, a lot of them are better viewed through rose tinted glasses. Nick is really desperate for some sort of hit cartoon that's not spongebob.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

Admittedly, the only time Ren and Stimpy was any good was when he was involved with it. After he left, it kept the grossout humor but none of the charm. So I can understand his bitterness just a little bit. He's still a huge curmudgeon about cartoons, though, and that's both pathetic and hilarious.

Correction: The only time Ren and Stimpy was any good was when he was involved under Nickelodeon's strict supervision.

Source: Ren and Stimpy's Adult Party Cartoon, also pretty much anything else he's ever done

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

When he got to make Ren & Stimpy cartoons that he had complete creative control over it was so bad that Spike dropped it after like two episodes despite being a new network desperate for content. Even when it was good he was only a part of that.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Y-Hat posted:

While the last season of Ren and Stimpy was pretty bad, Kricfalusi came back for the terrible "adult" version that was on Spike for about five minutes, which was arguably worse. It seems like he only makes good cartoons when he has to work around guidelines.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I want to take this time to poo poo on Doug some more.

Seriously, gently caress Doug. I can forgive it for being boring, stupid and having an entire cast of unlikable Chucklefucks. But I will never, ever, forgive it for being one of those shows that thinks embarrassing the main character is somehow inherently funny.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? Doug would want to go to a concert or something, have a completely pointless dream sequence about it (another pet peeve of mine), realize he'd been rocking out to nothing in public, and then get laughed at by everyone. This is supposed to be HILARIOUS but I always just felt kind of bad for the boring little bastard. Plus, I empathize pretty strongly with characters as I watch them so when the show would pull this poo poo a small part of me would be getting laughed at right there with him. Thanks for that, show!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

readingatwork posted:

Seriously, gently caress Doug. I can forgive it for being boring, stupid and having an entire cast of unlikable Chucklefucks. But I will never, ever, forgive it for being one of those shows that thinks embarrassing the main character is somehow inherently funny.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? Doug would want to go to a concert or something, have a completely pointless dream sequence about it (another pet peeve of mine), realize he'd been rocking out to nothing in public, and then get laughed at by everyone. This is supposed to be HILARIOUS but I always just felt kind of bad for the boring little bastard. Plus, I empathize pretty strongly with characters as I watch them so when the show would pull this poo poo a small part of me would be getting laughed at right there with him. Thanks for that, show!

The only parts of Doug I enjoyed came from Skeeter. He had the best episode where he was struggling to pass shop class, but not because he was bad at it. He'd invent some elaborate mechanism that had a bunch of interesting ideas, but forgot to implement the basic functionality in his unfocused mania, eg the Coatrack that could predict the weather, tell you which shops were open nearby, etc but it couldn't hang coats, as he had forgotten to add the hooks. That subplot was actually funny (or should I say Funnie :P)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
John K will be mad if it's a show he did not personally work on and will call it not a real cartoon because it does not follow rules established decades ago so trying to avoid making him mad is a fool's errand.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

readingatwork posted:

I liked the original Nicktoons Doug back in the day when he was a normal awkward kid having normal awkward kid adventures. Then Disney got the character for some reason and completely ruined the premise. Everything because completely outlandish and they decided to change things up with just about every character for no reason.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

muscles like this? posted:

I liked the original Nicktoons Doug back in the day when he was a normal awkward kid having normal awkward kid adventures. Then Disney got the character for some reason and completely ruined the premise. Everything because completely outlandish and they decided to change things up with just about every character for no reason.

Didn't Roger's family win the lottery or some such poo poo?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah there was also stuff like Mrs Dink becoming Mayor and them going to a new school built by Bebe's dad and it was shaped like her head.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
And Doug getting a baby sister that they named Dirtbike because Doug was disappointed he couldn't get a dirtbike for Christmas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I should probably, but won't, give the Disney season a watch, but I always assumed it was better because it sounded like Doug became more proactive in it, instead of classic Doug where he can go on a loving date with his crush and still achieve absolutely nothing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pakled posted:

Also, the Wild Thornberrys sucked.
It was great in that it gave Tim Curry a chance to not play a villain at least

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For years I thought Doug must have been one of those religious cartoons because it was so bland, but really it's just about a kid with anxiety who just can't stop catastrophizing about everything in his life. You can tell that he grew up into one of those adult nerds who hates women because he was never brave enough to ask one out.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the gently caress is wrong with you people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

And Doug getting a baby sister that they named Dirtbike because Doug was disappointed he couldn't get a dirtbike for Christmas.

What.