Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It would be hilarious if they actually had gotten numerous requests for this.

"Sir or madam, it would delight me were I to be able to purchase a journalistic vehicle, thereby to capture space happenings such as orbits and eclipses. Said vehicle should also be of sturdy build to withstand the punishments inherent in capturing the highest-quality footage of space battles to compete with the military propaganda, without undue risk from unruly mobs of legionnaires casually disregarding the clearly printed network logo or failing to halt their fire exchange upon my entrance on the battlefield."

So admit it, was it you? Did you use that exact same text to request it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hav posted:

What I'm saying is that there are plenty of weirdos, but the ones that act on their threats are thankfully rare because the conditions that wrack them aren't the most conducive to action.

I'm always amazed at what people post in comment sections that links their facebook.

I live in a small town that has it's own newspaper and the accompanying website. People comment the nastiest stuff on news articles with no anonymity.

I can't imagine ever getting mad enough about people on the internet to do something bad, but I can see me calling the gas station attendant a jerk for online comments while paying for my gas.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Consolidated Outland - Only one ship. Supposedly makes cheap, fast, weak ships that are entry level products. Supposed to look good and go fast.

Aegis Dynamics - Aging ship manufacturer that makes military craft. Strangely full of new and innovative designs like the Redeemer.

Anvil Aerospace - Military contractor. Makes ships that are tough and reliable. Space Jeep.

Banu - Merchant race. Only one ship shown thus far.

Crusader Industries - gently caress if I know. Why a company called "Crusader" is making a space train is beyond me.

Drake Interplanetary - Bastard child of Cloud Imperium Games. Originally supposed to make pirate ships, but gently caress if I know what to expect anymore.

Vanduul - Generic space barbarians. With knives! Supposedly they can ram you.

Kruger Intergalactic - German gun manufacturer that apparently also makes snub ships. Supposedly these are two different craft.

MISC - Xi'An influenced civilian human manufacturer.

Origin - Space BMWs for Space Rich People to laugh at Space Poors.

Roberts Space Industries - Get it? It's ROBERTS. Like Chris! Because he's making them!

Xi'An - Another humanoid alien race. Supposedly honorable or something. They like vertical ships.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Iglocska posted:

Also those pictures look loving horrible imho, but I guess it changes as you get some attachment to them when you play the game.

This would easily pass as a torture device in the stimpire.

Yes, they're horrible, but that's part of the point: they're icons where the ship is shown from a pretty bad angle against an equally bad background. And yet, you were 100% accurate in what the ship wants to covey — even in such a bad shot, the outline and (visible) detail tells the full story of the faction in question.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Smedley is making another game and put it on Kickstarter

I put $25 to it because lol why not

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song

Of all the threads on SA you would think this one would be good at encouraging people to stop throwing money at kickstarters.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

Yes, they're horrible, but that's part of the point: they're icons where the ship is shown from a pretty bad angle against an equally bad background. And yet, you were 100% accurate in what the ship wants to covey — even in such a bad shot, the outline and (visible) detail tells the full story of the faction in question.

For that one, sure. For the others: no loving clue, they all belong to the generic space ship race?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

Without being harsh or overly critical Star Citizen is very bland looking and feeling, it' the kind of game that is like Hard Reset, it's OK but nothing there that screams its own identity. Like you see a screenshot of Hard Reset and it'll take you a while to figure out which game it is because it looks so generic, compared to say, I dunno, Borderlands where you know instantly what it is because the creative direction is good and it's really identifiable as being Borderlands.

The walking around feels a bit odd, sluggish I suppose, there seems to be a micro lag with every input, especially jumping. The flight model seems to be outright missing, it feels the same as the walking, ship mass doesn't seem to affect anything.

There is an obsession with everything being clicked to 'use' from many many buttons to chairs to doors to ladders (wtf) - everything requires your input and is usually followed by a lengthy animation that takes control away from your character.
So the action of say walking through a door and going up a ladder becomes a loving dull rear end in a top hat of an experience the second time you do it onwards.

But to me more than anything it's the blandness, the loving dullness of everything. The game is so preoccupied with creating a realistic immersive experience that the fun is missing, it's just not there - there is no joy to be had.

I'm going to do a really idiotic comparison, but gently caress it why not.
I've been playing Disney Infinity with my son, the new Star Wars one. It is a loving blast - questing, space ships, sci fi all that bollocks but it's expertly wrapped up in such a way that it grabs you by the scruff of the neck and drags you along on a really really fun ride.
It IS a stupid comparison, I know that - but it is a great example of a game made with a vision by a company who know what they are doing, and it's a night and day difference, Star Citizen feels ridiculous and soul-destroying bland in comparison, it's woeful.

It's also not a sim, what is a loving sim about it? It doesn't simulate anything.

I get that sims are straight faced, I play iRacing for fucks sake, I understand the difference between iRacing and Mario Kart - one is a sim the other dumb good fun, the problem with Star Citizen is it is neither a sim or dumb good fun, it's just 30gb of 'meh'

I love to cook, and SC feels exactly like when I taste something and it isn't good, and I try to save it with more salt, spices, and I keep tasting and adding, and it just get worse and then it's too late but I refuse to throw it away and sit alone eating my gross meal.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Iglocska posted:

For that one, sure. For the others: no loving clue, they all belong to the generic space ship race?

Try harder.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Eh. I'm not sure.
I look at those and think “cricket”, “suspiciously well-armed landing shuttle” and “sink scraper.” Some of that is just the angle, I'm sure, but if it's a fighter, why are there so many vulnerable and delicate bits pointing everywher? If it's a space truck, why is it so tiny and why doesn't it seem like it will hold much cargo? If it's a news van, where are the transmission antenna arrays and the “Tune in to K-SPACENEWS4, UHF channel 1008.9” slogans?

They just don't convey any kind of mood or functionality or origin or anything.

Compare these non-descript inventory icons for a bunch of cruisers:

I'm not holding these up as “good” designs (because CCP's spaceship design seems to rely on heavy misuse of Brennivín), but rather as a point of telling a simple story based on looks. What can you tell about each faction (not necessarily function) just by looking at the ship design?

In no specific order:

Macaroon with sea-urchin filling
We need more spatulas
Dicks!
We are supposed to be the gay ones
Lets just throw poo poo at this and see what sticks

Did I get it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ZenMaster posted:

I love to cook, and SC feels exactly like when I taste something and it isn't good, and I try to save it with more salt, spices, and I keep tasting and adding, and it just get worse and then it's too late but I refuse to throw it away and sit alone eating my gross meal.

This is a really good analogy. Unfortunately I don't think Roberts is capable of taking anything out.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

So admit it, was it you? Did you use that exact same text to request it?

Holy gently caress yes I'd love to take credit for the space news van

Also beer those $17,500k of ships made my 2520m beg for its life

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
spaceships are stupid

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

trucutru posted:

In no specific order:

We need more spatulas
Dicks!

Did I get it?

Three out of four. :haw:
Macaroons are meant to be torture devices, as mentioned.
The spatulas are mean to evoke some high-tech YF-whatever stealth design.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

In no specific order:

We need more spatulas
Dicks!

Did I get it?

Dicks is obviously picture number 5, that is the erectus, the flagship of the proud warrior race know as the phallics.

Edit: They were not in order, I stand corrected!

Holy gently caress yes I'd love to take credit for the space news van

You monster.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

alf_pogs posted:

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/the-star-citizen-honeymoon-is-over,413944

PC Powerplay with "The Star Citizen Honeymoon is Over"

no new information, just a general recap of the Jennison letter and the general Smart Wars but interesting to see non-french publications starting to tip over.

edit: i absolutely love the tagline 'Derek Smart was probably right.'
"The primary focus [of ship design] is functionality and engineering necessities."

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/the-star-citizen-honeymoon-is-over,413944#comment-2470090707

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Three out of four. :haw:
Macaroons are meant to be torture devices, as mentioned.
The spatulas are mean to evoke some high-tech YF-whatever stealth design.

I mean, it is pretty obvious what they are going for in each feel. I don't really like the designs (the macaroon is way over the top and silly as gently caress) but my 13-year-old self would have loved their cheesy asses.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Try harder.

Whoa keep it civil folks we don't want to give reddit evidence of our horribilitude :colbert:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Paladinus posted:

You are incorrect sir, Star Citizen is playable at the moment. Even in alpha stage, even within this stage, it has some pretty good content. For example: There are multiple pvp game modes within Arena Commander (TDM, CTCore(CTF like game-mode), COOP vs AI, Racing, etc) besides that, you can enter the baby PU and fly seamlessly within a small portion of one star system, doing missions, etc. (while content will be added per patch, together with optimization and fixes).

I never said the tech demo is not playable.

The "No" at the start is the answer to the poster question asking if "CIG has been sued for financial fraud yet"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

You monster.

Well someone's gotta do it and I'd rather not pin it on anyone else :shrug:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

From Chris Roberts Plays Star Citizen:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

trucutru posted:

I mean, it is pretty obvious what they are going for in each feel. I don't really like the designs (the macaroon is way over the top and silly as gently caress) but my 13-year-old self would have loved their cheesy asses.

Oh absolutely. It's more to show the point of the TF2 silhouettes as it applies to spaceships. Visual design has a number of purposes that can often be at odds with each other. Looking good is one thing; conveying meaning is something completely different; being sensible and functional is yet a third, often unrelated to the other two.

The EVE designs tend to lean heavily on the second, where each faction is meant to be trivial to spot, be visually coherent, and all present the same message about the faction. Funnily enough, many of the ship icons do a piss-poor job of showing what the ships actually look like in space. :v:

Whoa keep it civil folks we don't want to give reddit evidence of our horribilitude :colbert:

Sorry. What I meant to say was, “would you please take a second, closer look and maybe have things like colour choice and composition in mind, kind sir?”

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duckaerobics posted:

What I don't understand about that picture is why she is next to some random guy. He doesn't see like a dean or anything, so if it is a college diploma were they the only two people in the program? I think you're right with the photo shoot speculation. It looks like a stock shot advertising for a photographer.

Yeah, that confused the gently caress out of me. There would be other context for a group shot ordinarily.

Weirdly, I started to think that Derek might be stretching there, but he has a point, there are incongruities.

Why the gently caress are we tap-dancing. You can verify academic qualifications.

Iglocska posted:

This would easily pass as a torture device in the stimpire.

Yeah, well, Sansha's are pretty much the stimpire, but without the welfare program.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eggman sounds like a great, sensible guy.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

One of the oddest directions of Star Citizen's sim aspect is that it ends at the vehicles. In a flight sim, even combat ones, you're presented with a tremendous checklist of hoops to jump through and maintain during the gameplay in order to get off of the ground/not resume contact with the ground earlier than expected. If you're into that it's a good time. Star Citizen's flight system is basically a dude in a chair with a huge spaceship helmet on flying around space with a unending fire extinguisher. The checklist is the tremendous bland parade of banal nonsense you have to go through to navigate your way through your boring tedious environment to put that spaceship helmet on.

Star Citizen could probably make its lore more interesting if it went back in time to the Messer era. When the government was insane and xenophobic and power was being grabbed at by the various tyrannical offspring of the political elite. At least in that scenario you have to puzzle out living in highsec and paying taxes to bomb dissenters. You get just a smidgen of the kind of entertaining undercurrent that you can think about in EVE, a universe in which you're an insane machine god that cheerfully sacrifices tens of thousands of lives in an evening's skirmish.

But I guess it's better to have a fictional universe where people are debating taxes and your company's fiction posts are literally the minutes from senate meetings. That usually goes well.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Star Citizen ships look good individually. As a whole they only look good if you ignore that universes are supposed to have an aesthetic. Hard scifi and star wars sci fi should not be in the same universe and no "they're different manufacturers!" is not an adequate explanation.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Iglocska posted:

Of course it does, you want to slow down before landing on a space carrier, otherwise you end up crashing and then out comes the space-bulldozer.

(Tap gently at his sarcasm dector gauge, the needle barely moving)

No it does not. In space the ammount of control you have over your ship is not proportional to speed (and airflow), unlike a plane aerodynamic surfaces in athmosphere.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 21, 2016

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Those are both parody posts. I can tell because the first one has a voluntary MLP avatar and the second one is too incoherent to be even the most rabid SC supporter.

Because the alternative it too painful for me to consider possible

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Iglocska posted:

Of course it does, you want to slow down before landing on a space carrier, otherwise you end up crashing and then out comes the space-bulldozer.

Got a lot of air resistance in space?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Why the gently caress are we tap-dancing. You can verify academic qualifications.

Requests tend to cost money and I just bought a few JPEGs.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

aleksendr posted:

(Tap gently at his irony dector gauge, the needle barely moving)

No it does not. In space the ammount of control you have over your ship is not proportional to speed (and airflow), unlike a plane aerodynamic surfaces in athmosphere.

Sedisp posted:

Got a lot of air resistance in space?

It's canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WFw56Mv1w

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

xanif posted:

Those are both parody posts. I can tell because the first one has a voluntary MLP avatar and the second one is too incoherent to be even the most rabid SC supporter.

Because the alternative it too painful for me to consider possible
I'm sorry but I have bad news for you: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Dowlphin

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

One of the oddest directions of Star Citizen's sim aspect is that it ends at the vehicles. In a flight sim, even combat ones, you're presented with a tremendous checklist of hoops to jump through and maintain during the gameplay in order to get off of the ground/not resume contact with the ground earlier than expected. If you're into that it's a good time. Star Citizen's flight system is basically a dude in a chair with a huge spaceship helmet on flying around space with a unending fire extinguisher. The checklist is the tremendous bland parade of banal nonsense you have to go through to navigate your way through your boring tedious environment to put that spaceship helmet on.

I resemble that remark. I'll have you know that the DCS process of flying an A-10 is obviously not “a tremendous checklist of hoops to jump through” since it can be boiled down to a simple 43-page quick reference and check list booklet.
:colbert:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 21, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/41welu/bye_bye_umatilda2013/cz6e9ap

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 21, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Iglocska posted:

X-wings and Y-wings to me are not that different. Sure, some of the SC designs are better than others, buy you look at this:

and think "military fighter", you look at this:

and you think "space truck", which is good enough.

Also, you look at this:

and you obviously think "space news van".

hahaha thanks for showing me that space truck, that's a pretty blatant ripoff of the Serenity from Firefly

edit: but also small enough that i'm not sure what you'd ever want to haul in it

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Wow. Everything about that scene is wrong. The directing is bad, the writing is bad, the acting is bad.

Why in the world does anyone think that SQ42 is going to be good?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

Somebody's probably already said this, but her academic credentials have very little relevance beyond the fact that she may have lied about them. Her overall stupidity as evidenced by pretty much everything she's done, including her wince-inducing 3rd grade writing level in her emails to Beer, prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that she's not fit for her position, even if she has 3 doctorates and a Nobel prize. Regarding my first point, is her lying about her degree specifically any more of a reflection of her quality than her willingness to fleece the mentally disabled out of millions of dollars? Racism? Harassment of employees? Using company resources for personal gain? I say she sunk her own battleship, degree or not.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Dunno how true it is, but it has been alleged that <<USE>> is so deeply ingrained in the engine they can't get rid of it.
That's nonsense. CIG has source code access to the engine. They can do whatever the hell they want with it. The code for that kind of UI interaction would be relatively simple.

I'd expect adding map streaming so they can have seamless worlds was at least two orders of magnitude more complicated than that.

quote:

In any case, it still doesn't change pgab's point that you have to wade through a bunch of tedious poo poo before you can even sit in the cockpit of an overpriced dong ship or half-arsed space fighter.
That's true. The animations were interesting at first but I quickly got tired of them. Also, animations like that seem like a terrible idea for VR. AFAIK stealing camera control from the player is a bad idea in that case.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

he seems to be emotionally over invested into a video game concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I resemble that remark. I'll have you know that the DCS process of flying an A-10 is obviously not “a tremendous checklist of hoops to jump through” since it can be boiled down to a simple 43-page quick reference and check list booklet.
:colbert:

I can start a C in under five minutes, and sometimes I'll even remember the switch the APU off. Landing not so good, yet.

He is the wisest and smartest diplomat. The classiest and most huge. He will make CiG great again.

• Locked thread